Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

So it has come to this.

After nearly fifteen years in the hobby, loyal to the Emperor (with a side stop on a Craftworld and in the Tau Empire) I have come to earnestly begin my way down the path of corruption and bloodshed.

I have come to begin a Chaos army.

I actually started, and collected, a very Chaotic Night Lords warband in 2004, complete with Forge World Land Raider and all sorts of things, but never got around to painting it. I could never get the hang of the midnight blue and the brass.

Now I've come to challenge myself again. Thanks to Aaron Demski-Bowden's works I've batted around the idea of a Heresy-era army would work best. With the right conversions and 'counts-as' choices, they can be used as Heresy-era, Pre-Heresy or modern Night Lords.

I assembled a single model to test my planned paint scheme.

And began sculpting a chest-piece of a winged skull. Once this is done, I'll hopefully have the resources to either resin-cast it, or have it cast for me (current apartment space doesn't really allow for it) and have them distributed across my army.

Very, very WIP. It's been a long time since I sculpted anything...

So there you have it. The beginnings of the Night Lords Fifth Company. This will be an interesting ride, no doubt.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-12-2016 at 06:49.
    < This post has a report Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Commander

Re: In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

I love your Imperial Fists Plog, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this!

Have you decided against the flappy hats or will you save them for veterans?

Looking forward to more!

Thanks Lowmans! I'm going to try and keep the visual aesthetic consistent across the armies. Going to be tough with such a dark one.

Well here we go.

I'm happy with the blue and the brass I've got.

I'll need to buy some finer brushes. The Citadel fine detail brush isn't fine enough for those highlights. Unfortunately most fine brushes I find don't have the rigidity to really paint with...

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the overall tone. Still dark and realistic, with relatively subtle highlights. It matches my Fists' aesthetic. I'm quite happy and look forward to doing an army of these bad boys.

Now... what colour for those weapons?

Blue is:
    1. Necron Abyss
    2. Highlight Enchanted Blue
    3. Wash Badab Black
    4. Highlight Enchanted Blue
    5. Wash Asurmen Blue

Brass is:
    1. Tin Bitz
    2. Highlight Shining Gold
    3. Highlight Mithril Silver
    4. Wash Gryphonne Sepia
    5. Highlight Shining Gold
    6. Wash Devlan Mud

Any tips for lightning everyone? I'm most disappointed in that.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:06.

Commander

Another Night Lords plog to watch!
    Very crisp painting, the fact that you kept the weapons completely clean shows you have a steady hand
    My guess is you don't like how small the bolts are. Instead of painting a single detailed bolt on a segment of armor, make it something that continues from segment to segment. You won't need to paint so many tiny fingers and then it wont look like coral. I usually see them painted with a bolt or two starting on the torso and continuing down the leg/s. There are quite a few nice Night Lords plogs up right now, maybe check them out for some inspiration
    Weapons would look good in dark red I think, maybe the same as the wings for the emblem. That's my two cents there.
    Looking forward to updates, sir

Commander

Ave dominus nox brother

Bravo, Engel. It's good to see Night Lords that are, essentially, black; or the colours one would expect to see around midnight. Slivers of very dark blue and all; I would suggest attempting to darken the trim colours. As for the lightning, I'd give it a miss personally - though I know that isn't what you asked, but more I feel the need to throw my unecessary opinion in to satiate my ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether
    That's Darnok for ya: No matter what it is, he'll make it fit.

Good work. I would like to see more. Keep up the good work.

So I ordered the body for Tyberos off of eBay and was pleased with how easy it was to remove the single aquila. What to do with the shoulder pads though? I want something different and intimidating and semi-heresy-era, but many of the Cataphracti-esque ones I've seen (maxmini etc) seem TOO big in general.

Some quick photoshop from Forge World's size comparison chart (which I believe is all on the same plane and angle) lead me to this image:

They SEEM big enough and while I'm not a big fan of the pose that resulted, it was enough promise for me to order some bitz from eBay to try out. They seem a tad lacking in protection, but also nicely "pre-Heresy-ish" without being gigantic. I'll probably recast Tyberos' helmet a few times for them too.

Thoughts? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:07.

Wowee wow. Subbing to this straight away. Looking good so far and I certainly wanna see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
    With particular focus on Terminators, are you going the full ADB Atrementar on it? If so you might want to look at this as a suggestion for the shoulder decoration, assuming you don't go for the bottom right example here.

And, forgive me for asking, but are we likely to see any of 10th Co? Or Sevatar perhaps? Maybe "The Prophet of the Eighth Legion"?
    I'm asking for all the usual geeky it-wood-bee-awsum reasons, of course, no pressure.

Edit. Additional link for the first link on a different site that doesn't blockmost of the image with an out of stock message here----> Linky.
    Last edited by Chem-Dog; 10-07-2012 at 00:31.
    40K spend '09: 205.70.'10: 87.50.'11: 29.00. '12: 89.00. '13: 35.50. '14 75.50. '15 424.00
    WANTED: 1 Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms.

Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    Wowee wow. Subbing to this straight away. Looking good so far and I certainly wanna see more.
    No pressure then? Expect slow-burn progress until the new Codex comes out. Don't want to get shafted on choices, after all.

With particular focus on Terminators, are you going the full ADB Atrementar on it? If so you might want to look at this as a suggestion for the shoulder decoration, assuming you don't go for the bottom right example here.
    Back in 2004, the plan was to have these guys be Sahaal's loyal followers. Traitors, but anti-Chaos, generally. Since 10th and Talos have come along, their ETHOS has inspired me, but I still think they're a bit too Chaosy in a lot of the illustrations and conversions I've seen. I'll probably be leaning towards a Heresy-era feel with these guys so they can operate in any time period, depending on my tastes at the time. Still, there will be nothing newer than MKVI in the army if I can help it and as little chaos-spiky adornment as possible.

The Nostraman Lion thing always intrigued me. It'd be a nice little replacement for the Crux Terminatus. I don't remember if ALL Atramentar had it, or just the one aboard the Covenant of Blood. What about the power-armoured 1st Company? What about Sahaal? I feel a Nostraman Condor would fit much better with Sahaal's established background after all.

EDIT: Talked to A-D-B on Facebook and he clarified a few things:

• The Nostraman Lion is just a thing he said. Anyone's call on whether it's the sign of the Atramentar. I have decided that it shall be!
    • Atramentar are the First Company before the Heresy, and at the outbreak.
    • After that, the Atramentar are Sevatar's elite (mostly made up from the First Company and its hangers-on).
    • Sahaal assumes command of the First Company with Sevatar's death, but most of the warriors then abandon it to serve individual captains and warlords. And then, of course, in Lord of the Night, Sahaal abandons his whole company to die anyway.

So it seems the 1st Company that Sahaal commands are not the Atramentar, or even Sevatar's men. I shall make a Sevatar, but I will not make a Sahaal.

And, forgive me for asking, but are we likely to see any of 10th Co? Or Sevatar perhaps? Maybe "The Prophet of the Eighth Legion"?
    Sevatar is an absolute certainty. Talos or Decimus? Maybe. I might start out with doing Malcharion though, just because his name is awesome.

I'm asking for all the usual geeky it-wood-bee-awsum reasons, of course, no pressure.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 10-07-2012 at 18:21.

Chapter Master

with the lightening, I'd go with a watered down rich blue, like enchanted blue, followed by a really sharp and straight skull white. I'm gonna add some night lords to my black legion once I move onto auxiliary squads to mix out the dominant black legion motif. I'm thinking of going a little darker with them, starting from a black basecoat, rather than darkest blue.

also, the idea with the terminator is cool, but the arms don't really feel right, the details just seem off.

atramentar are just one of ADB's ideas, theres plenty of 'normal' night lords terminators to do not bound by his fluff. Mine are called the carpathian guard, for example.
    "You ask what I hate? I hate a creature that speaks of pride and honour, that fosters the love of his sons, that smiles and scrapes at every obedient act, and then turns like a diseased dog and stabs his own child in the spine!''

My Chaos Marine log

Quote Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
    atramentar are just one of ADB's ideas, theres plenty of 'normal' night lords terminators to do not bound by his fluff. Mine are called the carpathian guard, for example.
    Indeed, and I think he's aware of this. He made it abundantly clear that the Atramentar were those 1st Company elite loyal to Sevatar only, who split from the 1st Company after his death. Anyone else who replaced them (under Sahaal) or was outside that core group, was "just" 1st Company. He emphasized pretty hard that Sahaal was NOT Atramentar, even though he was 1st Company Captain, as they're not one in the same.

Also, pretty much everyone hated Sahaal.

Alright, so eBay came through! I only have Tyberos' body to test this out on, but I ordered some arms to see what he looks like.

DISCLAIMER: I did no cleaning of the parts in this whatsoever. Zero. Please excuse the roughness.

I'm rather pleased.

I will say that the power-fist arm looks a bit thin, though the other arm looks fine. I like the old-school look of the shoulder pads (the Crux will be replaced by a Nostraman Lion) and they evoke the ideas of Cataphracti Terminators without the gorget (which some terminators will be given, along with more old school helmet to match the below image.

I think using the Tartaros shoulder pads evokes the same 'layered' look without adding too much bulk, like a lot of the pre-heresy should pads I see.

Thoughts? The auction on 10 of these bad boys ends tomorrow!
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:08.

Uh, this'll be a log to follow!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Not an update as such but I've been slowly collecting the bits to really make this army what I want. The Forge World Horus Heresy news has slowed things do a little bit, but overall I only see it improving my plans. Oh, please Forge World, give me sculpted Night Lords shoulder pads that aren't Chaos-y! Please!

In the meantime, I decided I liked Tyberos' head enough to give it to all my Terminators...

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:09.

I applaud that choice. That head is just the right amount of menacing for these!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Well, total switch around.

My wife and I have FINALLY bought a house (4 lost to bids and 80 looks later) and we'll be in by May! That means I'll finally have the space to work. In the mean time, that's allowed me to do some serious planning. I've decided to scrap the custom Terminators because I saw this image over at B&C...

I can't match that level of menacing and the Cataphracti Terminators have AWESOME lightning claws... So I'll be moving to those. If you'd like to purchase any one of my BAJILLION Tartaros arms or Tyberos heads, PM me and I'll send you my eBay link.

Chapter Master

The paint scheme is awesome, as are the lightning effects
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hatl View Post
    ALL SHALL FALL BEFORE THE ENDLESS CRUSADE! HERESY IS WEAKNESS! HUMANITY SHALL PREVAIL, WITH THE EMPROR'S WILL AS ITS STANDARD AND WATCHWORD! ONWARD, MY BROTHERS!

Seriously, if you're such a **** that you need a Chaos god to back you up in any fight you enter you deserve to get murdered. Real men do it by force of their own badass. And don't even get me started on those weak-ass mother **** psyker witch losers.

Chapter Master

But the mould lines hurt my eyes!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast