Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	197113

This guy.
    My new log.

Nunquam Succumbo! Mortis Ante Dedeco!
    - Celestial Lions never die.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Re: In Midnight Clad - A Night Lord's Log

So I was trying to duplicate some stuff and uhh... I accidentally painted an Ultramarine?

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:12.

Chapter Master

Ah Brother Steve, hero of the battle of south Boston, slayer of McDonald's General Manager Owen!
    No Signature right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotheroracle View Post
    Ah Brother Steve, hero of the battle of south Boston, slayer of McDonald's General Manager Owen!
    He's wicked smaht.

Anyway...

With the House Hyperion Knight Errant almost out of the way, I whipped out the airbrush, some carefully chosen Vallejo Model Air paints and decided to experiment, very roughly, to see if my planned method of doing some Night Lords would, in fact, work.

This might be the roughest I have EVER done for a model, but I was more concerned if my steps for the blue worked, and if it would still work with the red, white, and silver accents these guys will have will play nicely. All the details and colours were done with one brush, because I need to buy new ones.

1. Coat the model with Vallejo Model Air Imperial Blue (Closest to Kantor Blue in the Vallejo line) It looked a bit purple to me here, so I tried another model with a black undercoat and it just didn't look the same, so I proceeded on.
    2. Once that dried, I sprayed DOWN from above with Vallejo Model Air Magic Blue for some soft, soft highlighting. These didn't blend very well at first.
    3. Drakenhoff Nightshade all over. Everywhere. This really tied the two blues together, and made the parts that ended up being only Imperial Blue, a lot more blue, and less purple.
    4. Blue highlights are Caledor Sky with another hit of Drakenhoff Nightshade on top. They're a bit thick on this test model, but I'm satisfied with the actual highlight.
    5. Silver (Heresy Era) is Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil, and a highlight of Runefang steel.

I'm going to be brave and try this on an actual model tomorrow and get to painting some details. We'll see how that goes...
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:13.

Looks good!

Henrikys Rezil, Commander of the Night Lords Strike Cruiser "Signum Lamenti," Commanding Lieutenant of the Terran Claws, 2nd Chapter, 5th Company is getting some paint...

The lightning is a layer line of Caledor Sky, a layer of Lutheran Blue and then a fine detail line of Ulthuan Grey. I think it's worked out pretty well. The red on the pad is Mephiston Red, Nuln Oil wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet drybrush, then a Gryphon Sepia Wash, pure highlights of Evil Sunz Scarlet again, and then a final red wash to bring it together.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:14.

Major pro of painting Night Lords - Only have to paint black slits for the eyes!

He also looks a bit like Bill Nighy...

I'm kind of stuck for what colour to paint his pouches. I don't want them to be human skin (that seems inefficient) but I'm torn on a grey leather or a brown leather. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 03-11-2015 at 23:34.

I guess it's time to share the result!

For a test model, I'm very happy. Currently working out some kinks with my airbrush, which is a much bigger pain in the **** to load, use, and clean every time than I expected. Almost ready to knuckle down on my first real squad!

Really pleased with how the cape turned out. The blue really feels like "Night Lords" blue to me, and honestly, I'm pretty pleased with his face too.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:16.

I did something before my hand cramped up from being out of practice! (I'm terrible at this)

I think they're a good, decent standard for line-level troops. Haven't done a REAL detail pass or anything yet, but I'm okay with them right now. Both took me about 90 minutes from start to present level of paint. It should be able to make this my assembly-line process pretty easily.

I need your advice though! What colour should I do the weapons?!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    I need your advice though! What colour should I do the weapons?!
    Boring an answer as it is, I think black is the best choice (with chrome details).
    I think the standard metallic NL weapons might be a little overkill with the choice of armour trim you have gone for, but you could make it a different shade I guess.

Deep red might be interesting though . . .
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Definitely looking deep red actually. Can't get a great picture of the test right now though and I'm heading out of town tomorrow.

I did spend today packing and doing some more assembly-line work on this squad. Blues, metals, and reds have all been done now (except for the red on the weapons). Adding a splash of gold here and there (skulls especially, as well as some studs and other small spots) has helped widen the colour palette as well.

If I'd have known what a pain in the ass MKII and III marines were to paint, I'd have stuck to IV, V and VI.

I do still need to do the white for the skulls, but that will require a trip to the hobby store for a fresh pot after I get back.

I also went through this entire log and replaced and repaired all the image links so EVERYTHING should work now if anyone is interested. I had to use a mix of imgur and Flickr, but hopefully this holds.

Ta-Da! They're DONE!

I'm using the Raptor helmets on Sergeants as a mark of rank. I decided to go for a bleached look on the bone attached to them, rather than fresh bone. Ups the contrast a bit since 30K NL don't have the gold trim.

Thanks to the FW NL decals (also picked up on my trip the other week) these guys are "Coffin + Rune" Squad, which translates to... something in Nostraman. Another squad will be Rune + Coffin, and so on.

I am painfully slow.

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 24-01-2016 at 22:01.

Nothing specifically Night Lords, but I took doing Sigismund's base as an opportunity to do some Night Lords vehicle stuff

I did do some Kantor Blue base, Drakenhoff Nightshade overall, Nuln Oil in the dark spots, and some much, much harder, sharper Caledor Sky highlights than I do on the troopers. I like it.

Getting down and dirty with some assembly line painting. My constant and persistent pain.

I still need to order a sonic cleaner to fully clear out the airbrush before my next squad or character or whatever (possibly Sevatar, haven't decided yet) but I'm pleased there's an element of progress to both the Fists and the Night Lords.

I just keep moving the paint pot for details.

Well, I'm off to GDC next week, and (like in my Imperial Fists log) decided I should finish my Night Lords squad before I took a week off.

Not bad for assembly-line painting. I'm pretty pleased with there results overall, and they're consistent with the other squad, who had less of a sequential thing going on. These guys happen to belong to "Rune + Hourglass" squad. I felt it spoke more towards bolter-armed space marines than any of the other symbols. A couple had to have "Rune + Hand" due to a lack of hourglass decals, but it works still.

Sticking with white instead of bone for stuff. More striking.

I tried to include some gold in random places to break things up.

Check out the SUPER old school bolter!

This squad was mostly a mix of MKVI and III, but I felt the lone MKIV has a really nice helmet.

I haven't based them as I have 200 32mm bases coming in the mail. I figured why not do it now before they're painting. I most definitely don't look forward to that process with my Fists, and I'm sure I'll need to do it at some point.

Anyway, off to California!

Chapter Master Garanaul the Black's Avatar
    In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D.....

Looking GOOD!

Is there a secret to your process as far as sticking to it? My Kryptonite is that I tend to get distracted....
    We saved Mystery Science Theater 3000! Season 11 is on Netflix NOW!

SEASON 12 WAS CONFIRMED AT THE VERY END OF THE TURKEY DAY MARATHON! *swoon*

It's on Random: A mostly CSM PLOG

Quote Originally Posted by Garanaul the Black View Post
    Looking GOOD!

Is there a secret to your process as far as sticking to it? My Kryptonite is that I tend to get distracted....
    Ha!

If you want to see how good I am at sticking to it, look at the dates on this log and my others.

I'm actually getting quite a bit more productive of late, and I've done that generally by switching off between armies. I've bounced between Imperial Fists and Night Lords and it's worked really well. I'll be running out of Fists relatively soon, so at that point it'll be Eldar and Night Lords. It means I'm not getting worn out by any individual part of the process, which really, really helps.

Brother Sergeant

I'll be keeping an eye out for your other Night Lords stuff. Good to see another Night Lords players work. Good job, keep it up. Great looking models.

Chapter Master Garanaul the Black's Avatar
    In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D.....

Ha!

If you want to see how good I am at sticking to it, look at the dates on this log and my others.

I'm actually getting quite a bit more productive of late, and I've done that generally by switching off between armies. I've bounced between Imperial Fists and Night Lords and it's worked really well. I'll be running out of Fists relatively soon, so at that point it'll be Eldar and Night Lords. It means I'm not getting worn out by any individual part of the process, which really, really helps.
    Lol, if hopping between armies / projects was all it took, I'd have half a dozen finished forces now and my entire house would have been painted, inside and out, as many times!

Glad to hear you're motivated to produce more first rate work, looking forward to seeing more
    We saved Mystery Science Theater 3000! Season 11 is on Netflix NOW!

SEASON 12 WAS CONFIRMED AT THE VERY END OF THE TURKEY DAY MARATHON! *swoon*

It's on Random: A mostly CSM PLOG

Quote Originally Posted by Garanaul the Black View Post
    Glad to hear you're motivated to produce more first rate work, looking forward to seeing more
    Thanks!

To be fair, real life DOES get in the way occasionally.

That said, today I re-based the Raptors so they can hopefully take the weight and balance of a metal 3.5ed Raptor backpacks.

I think they look really cool.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast