Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeonbowl Project

Dungeonbowl Project

I actually already have a thread here for my Blood Bowl models, but I'm having so much fun with Dungeonbowl right now that I decided this game variant deserves its own thread.

So, I started making a set of cardboard dungeon tiles for use in dungeonbowl almost 10 years ago, but never got very far, and only painted about six dwarf models for a team. Time passed, and I recently dug these out again, and now I'm determined to finish the project - by that I mean building a reasonably sized dungeon, and at least two teams. My favourite two teams were always the Doom Forgers and the Grim Reapers, so those were my starting point.

My source of inspiration is the original game, primarily the back box illustration:

This is the state of the teams at the moment. Doom Forger shots:

Grim Reapers (slightly blurry):

Re: Dungeonbowl Project

The dungeon tiles themselves look approximately like this when all laid out together. I decided to make a nice contrast by using a mix of light and dark grey tiles.

And here are a few more shots of interest. The first is the next team in line I am working on.

This brings up a point for me, incidentally. The original Dungeonbowl game was published alongside 2nd edition Blood Bowl and used the rules from that. Later on, there was a WD article that updated the rules to go with 3rd edition, which included updating some of the team lists, either to make them more interesting or to replace 2nd ed races that no longer figured in 3rd ed. This means there are two different versions of the Dungeonbowl teams - the originals, as seen in the box illustration above, and the updated 3rd ed ones. With the Forgers, their update replaced the werewolves with norsemen since there are no werewolves in 3rd ed, but I decided to stick with them anyway and just write up some house rules for them.

However, with the next two teams, I've decided to adopt some of the changes from the update. The reason for this is that the originals of these teams are somewhat boring - both consist of ogres and snotlings, with one team also having humans and the other orcs. Since there were no 3rd ed snotlings, the update replaced them with Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs respectively. I like the introduction of these races, but I also wanted to keep the snotlings around, so the first of these teams became a bit of a mix of old and new: A Grey Shadows team made up of Ogres, Snotlings and Chaos Humans.

Their companion team is the War Hawks, and for them I decided to use the updated version unchanged, making them Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs and Orcs. I haven't got very far with them yet, but I have started converting some chaos dwarfs out of Mantic Abyssal models. Here is the first one.

So far I have played two games using these pieces, and they were really great fun. My opponent suggested that I could make some multi-level terrain to have a dungeon on different levels, so I've been trying to make something like this recently. My efforts have come to this so far - I hope it's going to be an interesting addition to the game.

I will keep updating this thread as I get models painted and terrain built. More teams are planned, maybe I will get to make all ten in the end!

I assume you generally treat the dungeon as walled (I know - it's a dungeon, duh!)?

You could play a minor variant by treating it as platforms instead, thus allowing normal passing from platform to platform.

Nice stuff btw
    Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath
    "The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
    Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
    Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"

Like the arcane sanctuary in Diablo 2, you mean? That is a pretty cool idea, thanks.

The Doom Forgers are now basically done, all that is left is to paint a few team symbols on helmets. I added a second wolf, who isn't as well posed as his brother but acceptable, and took a full team photo too.

Grim Reapers up next!

Terrific work, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all the completed teams beating seven shades of purple out of each other simultaneously in a dungeon resembling a multi story car park + lava 'nd spikes that's recently been spending a little too much time in Haiti.
    WYRD Skaven Blood Bowl Team, now for HIRE

Da Beez Neez Goblin Blood Bowl Team, now for HIRE

I didn't really know anything about Dungeonbowl before but this log is great. I'm really impressed with the black and white guys.

Thanks! Even though my obsession with it is mainly fueled by nostalgia, it is a really fun way to play that I can recommend to anyone with access to floor plans and such. Since normal Blood Bowl is so fixed in the way the teams deploy and interact, having to move around a dungeon and look for the ball is extremely refreshing in comparison - more like a SWAT team mission than a determined grindfest. And you get to make terrain.

Dungeonbowl! Yes!

My local club is thinking of starting a bloodbowl tourney next month, i hope i can convince them to dungeonbowl instead.
    So much fun to play.

The WD with the update, was that the one that gave you some extra counters and card pop-outs?

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    The WD with the update, was that the one that gave you some extra counters and card pop-outs?
    Yes, it was! Fortunately I still have the counters from that magazine, so I didn't have to make my own teleporters and chest counters (though I was considering doing so anyway). I have made my own pit trap counters though, since I no longer have my original ones from the boxed game.

Played another game tonight, which was a lot of fun and took a really long time! It was Doom Forgers against War Hawks (as yet unpainted), which the Forgers won with a halfling scoring. I meant to take more pictures, but only managed one at the beginning of the game.

Last edited by Wishing; 06-10-2011 at 21:22.

Now that game looks like a lot of fun!

What about rope bridges between some of the raised platforms, every square = going for it?
    Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath
    "The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
    Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
    Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"

Quote Originally Posted by Baragash View Post
    What about rope bridges between some of the raised platforms, every square = going for it?
    I definitely need to make both some more platforms and some connectors between them, and some sort of bridge system that isn't supported by pillars is a great idea (the only one I've built so far is supported by a pillar). I don't think I could build an actual rope bridge, would be too flimsy, but wooden ones should be very doable. I will definitely try that.

Next game, we are thinking about trying out some magical monsters that have a chance of appearing from an exploding chest (instead of it exploding). I like the idea of opening a chest, and instead of a ball, a troll pops out and bashes you over the head.

Amazing work mate. I've not managed to play dungeonbowl but it looks awesome. I remember an fairly old white dwarf with rules in for falling in a fire chasm - one of them might be fun?

Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

All this looks insanely awesome.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by richy376 View Post
    Amazing work mate. I've not managed to play dungeonbowl but it looks awesome. I remember an fairly old white dwarf with rules in for falling in a fire chasm - one of them might be fun?
    Funny you should say that, because my opponent also suggested I should make some cracked lava tiles, where you can walk on them but you have to make an AV roll every time you step on one (or you're pushed onto one). Do you remember anything about what the fire chasm rules were?

I felt inspired after the game, so did some painting work on the War Hawks team, who are in a WIP state but currently look like this. I am especially happy with the ogre.

Chaplain

Really, really great blog fuelling further my love of blood bowl! We've never given dungeon bowl a try, but we're in the process of making some new teams, and your dungeon and teams are inspirational.

The Doom Forgers are great - really nice translation of the artwork into reality

I'm glad you think so! I just finished my two minotaurs for the Reapers team, so here are a few shots.

Last edited by Wishing; 13-10-2011 at 22:31.

I lurk around these m&p forums a lot, watching and enjoying these kind of blogs from afar. I have no experience with either bloodbowl or dungeonbowl but I do now great characterful modelling when I see it. AWESOME LOG ! Great translation from the artwork to the models and even though its not yours what awesome fluff ! Keep this coming for all of us enjoying it por favor!
    Looking to get back into Warhammer Fantasy in the Amsterdam Area! Hit me up!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast