Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Orlygg's 80s Retro 'Realm of Chaos' Project Log

Orlygg's 80s Retro 'Realm of Chaos' Project Log

After recent events at GW I have finally grown tired of the continual price hikes, un-necessary new rule sets etc etc and decided to stop buying WD and citadel miniatures altogether. I packed away the paints, books and took up 360 gaming instead.

However, I really missed my hobby. So I decided to sell off the majority of my collection and re-boot my hobby by going retro. I decided to focus on the so called 'Golden Age of 1985-92' as the period has the strongest nostalgic pull for me. I plan to collect, paint and ultimately game with the miniatures and rules of 3rd edition - limiting my painting to the colours available at the time. I decided to focus on the miniatures released around the original Realm of Chaos book: Slaves to Darkness.

My first step was to buy up as many issues of WD as I could. I started with issue 90 and worked up from there. My first issue was 107 and it was fascinating to see how WD evolved from a roleplay magazine into GW games only. There are still many issues missing from my collection but there was enough for me to track releases and read plenty of 'Eavy Metal articles by none other than John Blanche, Mike McVey and even Rick Priestley... This gave me the opportunity to get into the 80s style of miniature painting and the following models are my attempt to ape this style.

Where else could I begin a 80s Retro Collection but with a Chaos Warrior?
    Last edited by OrlyggJafnakol; 21-08-2011 at 19:09.

Re: Orlygg's 80s Retro 'Realm of Chaos' Project Log

Once the Chaos Warrior was complete I felt he needed a few followers to accompany him around the Wastes. I decided to stick to a Khornate scheme of blacks, dark browns, reds and metallics. After a few practice runs I completed these beastmen on holiday. I know that they missing shields but I want to get some graphics pens before I beginning producing them.

The middle beastman is one of my favourite miniatures every released by Citadel so he was a must.
    Last edited by OrlyggJafnakol; 21-08-2011 at 19:15.

These are my early beastmen. I wasn't so pleased with the results but I will share them with you also.

I bought a job lot of old minotaurs from eBay and cleaned them up. This particular model was my favourite of the bunch.

A few chaos hounds seemed a suitable addition to a Realm of Chaos warband.

Having finished a small Khornate warband I decided to collect and paint a Slaaneshi one. As I enjoyed painting beastmen I decided to have a go at a different colour scheme.

Chapter Master colonel kane trine's Avatar

I wish games workshop models still had the charm that those models do!
    Great painting and I look forward to following this

Oh, very nice, I like these oldies and have a few of them myself. Posted a few old chaos warriors in my plog the other day. I'm envious of that doghead, wish I had him.

Will you keep the bases black? I think they look better with proper basing, but that's just my opinion.

Lovely painting and classic miniatures. I'm attempting something similar in my Kitchen Sink PLog (see link in my sig. Plug. Plug)

The minotaur and hounds are my particular favourites.
    I agree with mrtn about the bases, I hope you are going to do more with them.
    Will keep an eye on this.

Wow, these are really wonderful. You have achieved some marvelously rich colors--with the glazing, if I'm not mistaken. Subscribed.

Very cool stuff; thanks for sharing (love the beastman model with the mace and the elaborate helmet/crown and the leftmost Slaaneshi one).

Great stuff, ace painting.
    I only have the first and the last miniatures from pictures above, lol

"We must change, and change, until Change is our Master, for no being, not god, not mortal can catch and hold that which has no form."
    Liber Chaotica, Volume the Fourth: Tzeentch.

The last month or so has been a combination of family commitments, work commitments (60hr week at the moment!) and child care commitments so I have been unable to do little but collect a large number of 80s miniatures from eBay. The paint brush has gathered dust sadly. However, I have been able to snatch a few hours here and there - ideally trying to finish a model or two in a single sitting. You can judge if I have been successful or not.

First up a classic chaos thug. Originally released a 'Punter Dunter' around 1987 and sculpted by either the Perry's or Aly Morrison. I used him as an opportunity to start messing around with the original inks released by GW in the same year.

Secondly, a Marauder troll. This was sent by mistake by an eBay trader. I would have preferred a citadel one as I dislike much of the Marauder range - but he's characterful and gave be an opportunity to test out ink skin glazes using yellow.

Finally, a Death Elemental (sculpted by either Nick Bibby or the Perry's) and released 1985. This was a real challenge as I hate painting black. How do you think I did?
    Last edited by OrlyggJafnakol; 25-09-2011 at 15:59.

Your log name is no lie. What great models. Especially that Chaos guy, he has a real sense of evil to him, as if the sculptors used some sort of evil material to sculpt him...
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

the black on the DE looks great, keep it up!
    Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!

Awesome plog. I want to see the bases done though. I think the black turned out great.
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Hello again, this weekend here in the United Kingdom has been incredibly hot for the time of year. Thirty degrees plus! The heat has sent many out towards the beaches and gardens. For me and my wife, we have retreated into the cool indoors. Subsequently, I have been able to spent a little time on 'hobby'. This has resulted in me finishing two whole models over the last two days. Quite a feat considering!

First up, this rather rare beastman (or mutant) released back in 1987. Sculpted by either Mark Copplestone, Jes Goodwin or Kevin Adams. Part of a large collection of beastmen that don't resemble the goat headed archetype. In the 1988 catalogue there are many examples of strange looking creatures indeed. Its worth a checkout if your interested in vintage citadel. It was interesting to note that the word BEANMAN was inscribed on the tag rather than BEASTMAN. An example of GW's more quirky days.

Secondly, another miniature from the '87 release. The tag had BEEFMAN on. After all, he does have a cow's head!

Next up, the traditional work space photograph. Mine as long as we only have one child- then the room will become my son's.

The last two models were painted entirely with these classic 80s paints. I was amazed at their quality (especially compared to citadel paints today) and also by their quantity. GW gave you nearly triple the amount of paint back then. These paints are from eBay and I intend to get my hands on the Monster set and the Creature set as soon as I can. In the future, I plan to do all my retro models with these original colours.

Just some of my collection of classic citadel models. Any miniature from 1985-1992 I am interested in. Just collecting fantasy at the moment but will probably move on to Bloodbowl and 40k in time.

NOTE: Many of you have mentioned the bases. After some thought, I decided to have a go at the classic 80s base. Woodland Green base coat over sand. Overbrushed Bilious Green on top. Sunburst Yellow blobs for flowers and then a final light drybrush of the green mixed with white. I hope you like them!
    Last edited by OrlyggJafnakol; 02-10-2011 at 16:32.

Scout

I love this retro painted and minis.

I love the look of this log. Really like the retro choas stuff and have a few of those beastmen myself.

Good luck painting it all, looks like you got lots to get through!

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Big smile on my face soon as I saw the first picture. The grin got broader the further I scrolled. I think I have the dog headed beastman second image down. I bought it from a friend of a friend while drunk, which would be when I also bought the one in the middle seventh piccy down. I remember the morning after feeling a bit underwhelmed. I had been looking for vintage Beastmen but wasn't that impressed with the ones I acquired. Funny, the night before I thought they looked great. Beer goggles huh.

Anyway, the point of all that is that now I have seen your paintjobs I realise that there is hope for my drunken purchases, as your minis look great.

I wonder if those last two beastmen/mutants have anything to do with the range Citadel made for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? It would be round about the right time.

If you have any spares I would gladly buy them off you!

Nice to see the old paint boxes. I think I may actually have the Creature Paint set up in my attic (box only). Some of the pots from that and the Monster set are actually in front of me. Still use them!

Very much looking forward to seeing more from you. Favourite so far is the Pug Faced Beastman with two-handed sharp thing in your last post.

Keep up the great work,

AD

You project has made me very misty eyed.
    All of your painting is very nicely done and the Slaaneshi beastmen are awesome models.

I'm a huge fan of the Slaves to Darkness era when Chaos was chaotic and full of character and less prescribed as it is now.

I really like your dedication to the era, I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to go back and play with 3rd Ed rules.
    It nice to know others out there are thinking along the same lines.

Looking forward to seeing the collection progress, even though I'm sure it will make me a little jealous

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast