Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online Info

Chapter Master

Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online Info

Quote Originally Posted by scopecreep View Post
    This is what terrifies me. DC Universe online is the most recent console/pc mmo I've tried and its just bad. The chat was clunky, the inventory management stunk, and the limitations imposed by having to design for the lowest common denominator (a 10 button gamepad). It went free to play after about 6 months I think.
    Just went free to play this month, from what I understand, which I suppose makes it about 10 months. From what I saw of it, it seems pretty similar to what I'd expect for 40K online, action oriented, and a clunky interface due to multi-platform nature, but still with the WoW style 'kill and collect' quests. (yes, yes, I know they didn't originate with WoW, so anyone who wants to nitpick on that can feel free not to)

And to the point of console ports, I preordered RAGE for the PC and I have to say, if John Carmack and id can't get a proper port done I won't be holding my breath for one on this generation of consoles.
    I'm not sure if you're overestimating id's skills here (by implication, anyway), but they haven't been a cutting edge company in a long, long time. Also, from what I understand, they intentionally limited the PC version of Rage to what the consoles could handle. They could have made it better, but for whatever reason (probably financial) chose not to.
    Science achieved! And now... more science!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Partisan View Post
    The official site has 2 trailers and the release date stated at THQ.com is 31 MAR 2013.. is the penciled date more accurate?
    Fiscal year?

Veteran Sergeant

Fiscal year 2012 is more or less their goal

Commander

Sitll useless until they let us know what xenos (if any) can be played....imperium vs chaos is so freaking dull.

When I read PC/Console, and Massive Multiplayer Online Action Adventure I pretty much lost all faith in them delivering anything that I would...

a. Spend money on
    b. If I were given it, play for longer than 2-3 weeks.

Also you have this penciled in for 5-6 months out...really? This cannot CANNOT be a MMORPG (in the sense of the genre that we're familiar with), because all we've seen from them is basically 2 trailers and some concept drawings.

Anyways Im not going to go on some tirade about MMORPG's but I am really disappointed by this post and what I've gone and read off their site. I now have no real clue what type of game they are going to release now. I was expecting a semi-classic MMORPG now

Anyways my g'f is basically chomping at the bit to play SWTOR so I'll entertain her with that for awhile till Diablo III comes out.

Hmm, sounds like an expanded version of Space Marine multiplayer then. But then, it's a 40k computer game. It was probably always going to lean towards the heavy action/light everything else aspect. I could see them doing something a bit like Space Marine with it's inventory system. Add an experience system on top where you can advance into new "classes" and so get different options etc. and you could easily get away with console controllers. Whatever that's the game people want is a different question. It's all guess work really.

Exactly this, I can put up with many faults if I get to be an Eldar and have fun killing Imperial Guard and Space Marines. If not, I've no interest in the game. I can cope with Space Marine because I'm not required to play it for tens or hundreds of hours to reach the pinnacle of achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlPedder View Post
    Sitll useless until they let us know what xenos (if any) can be played....imperium vs chaos is so freaking dull.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

Sounds very interesting, will be good to see how this fleshes out.

I'm sure you will likely play it, for me its always about exploring the universe and setting of warhams 40k, which can be done easily with the imperium, not so much with xenos.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Exactly this, fun killing Imperial Guard and Space Marines. no interest in the game. I can cope with Space Marine because I'm to play it for tens or to reach the pinnacle of achievement.

I disagree, I think it can be done perfectly well with Eldar. It will have to look particularly impressive for me to try it with an Imperium character, or having something like a narrative driven Ordo Xenos prestige class or something.
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

The only way that can reasonably happen is if its a 'rogue trader' related xenos, as its just not feasible for them to do a craftworld or other eldar 'homebase' they may get away with just doing a ship, but to tell the story its always easiest from a humans point of view, so while not impossible, I find it unlikely.

I disagree, I think it can be done perfectly well with Eldar. It will have to look particularly impressive for me to try it with an Imperium character, or having something like a narrative driven Ordo Xenos prestige class or something.

They missed the boat with Dark Millenium - they could have done an MMOFPS, but Planetside2 is going to own that market:

http://www.planetside2.com/

I am looking forward to it!

Right, because the Eldar totally can't travel the galaxy in secret and relative safety via the webway and no mmo would take the radical step of letting players play as non-human species.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    The only way that can reasonably happen is if its a 'rogue trader' related xenos, as its just not feasible for them to do a craftworld or other eldar 'homebase' they may get away with just doing a ship, but to tell the story its always easiest from a humans point of view, so while not impossible, I find it unlikely.

In the darkest nightmares of anybody who grew up in the eighties

Personally, I can't really see a market for a non-human perspective at the moment. Eldar, whilst undoubtedly pretty, are just too fringe.

Right, because the Eldar totally can't travel the galaxy in secret and relative safety via the webway and no mmo would take the radical step of letting players play as non-human species.

Well they are the second or third best selling army behind Space Marines and sometimes IG, and to non players they are elves in space. Don't see that as fringe myself. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just go down the usual Imperium vs Orks or CSM route, in which case I've no interest in it. I wish it well, but won't be for me.

In the darkest nightmares of anybody who grew up in the eighties

Don't get me wrong, Eldar would be cool. I think that a 40K computer game usually sells to more than just the core fanbase that's more familiar with the factions. Aiming at gamers in general, big, clunky, armoured monster-men with chainsaws is a proven winner.

Well they are the second or third best selling army behind Space Marines and sometimes IG, and to non players they are elves in space. Don't see that as fringe myself. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just go down the usual Imperium vs Orks or CSM route, in which case I've no interest in it. I wish it well, but won't be for me.

Well the one confirmed playable race so far us 'Imperium of Man' which implies more than Space Marines. If you are going to let people play wimpy guardsmen alongside great big, armoured Space Marines throwing in some Space Elves doesn't seem too much of a stretch. I hope so, anyway, I've bought all the 40k games of recent years and I'd hate to skip this one just because it is humans vs evil humand and orks or something horrendously boring like that.

I'm sure they confirmed Eldar Outcasts as the first playable race, let me go scour for a quote.

How would Eldar not work? An unassailable craftworld home base somewhere. They then use the webway to travel to the main areas. Hell, there could even be a Dark Eldar.

You will attract more people to the game by having diverse races. I really think that is part of the reason for WoW's success. You could be a zombie/dwarf/bullman/elf/orc or even a human. Each town had its own feel. If you look at games like Rift where the races were "different colored humans" and dwarves. Obviously that wasn't the only thing that led to WoW's success.

It seems likely with all the ork footage seen that they will be playable. On the other side of the coin I think THQ would be hard pressed to offer only humans as a counter. Eldar seem to be the logical choice if there is going to be a destruction vs order type set up. With how cryptic they've been I think there will be a more complex relationship between allies.
    <---------- Misses the old chaos codex...

... Really GW?!... the only reason that this codex is "better" is because you didn't put effort into making it worse /facepalm

A little birdy has dropped me some more info as well:

Game Design Notes:
    • Relic is lending a very small hand in the overall development of dmo. Winking, a chinese based developer is also on board. They helped with Spacemarine as well.
    • Vigil is doing 90% of the work. Most of the shared work load is art, and animation.
    • Spacemarine is built on the same engine as darksiders (and darksiders 2 respectively)
    • Dmo is using the same engine, with gameplay (at least combat) akin to Spacemarine.
    • Contrary to what I was told, the art style is NOT like Spacemarine, rather the whole game is more like darksiders (1 & 2), very stylized. The videos released at the last E3 are fairly accurate to the current state of the art style. Less realistic.
    • Revision to what I was told by the rep, is that Spring 2012 is unlikely... maybe for more announcements on the game's progress. Though a Darsiders 2 release in spring is likely, Vigil is working on both.

Class related notes:
    • Races broadly put into forces of "Order" and "Disorder" similar to 40K World-wide campaigns.
    • The "spacemarine" is a class, with a chaos counterpart.
    • Tactical, heavy, assault as specialties.
    • Each class starts as something familiar, and through progression changes.Ie. Scout to Marine
    • Other classes include: psyker, techpriest, and assassin
    • The assassin starts as a guardsman-esque character.
    • Chaos have similar counterparts, cultist themed.
    • Instead of an assassin, think demon host.
    • Orks are with Chaos (disorder), Eldar are with the Imperium of man (order)
    • Ork class rundown: Nob, mekboy, runt herda, mad dok
    • Eldar class rundown: Scorpion, Avenger, Warlock, Reaper
    • Expect Tau & Dark Eldar later, likely an expansion, though dark eldar npcs will be present on release, as well as Necron, and Tyranids. (Interesting idea, going for the 'faceless' races as NPCs, though I suspect you won't be getting quests from the Swarmlord!)
    • 60 character levels.

Gameplay related notes:
    • A crashed space hulk will be one of the zones.
    • Another zone will take place on an Imperial Cruiser, and Chaos Cruiser.
    • Expect several instanced missions much like WoW, as well as open world.
    • It will include instanced & open world pvp.
    • Players will be able to dual weild things like pistols and melee weapons... yes that means two chain swords.
    • The featured chapter is Black Templars. (As evidenced by the banner art)
    • The featured chaos god is Khorne, at least for playable
    • Word Bearers will also take a major role in the Playable chaos faction
    • Nurgle & Fabius Bile will have a big Chaos NPC presence. (I suspect not Nurgle himself, but perhaps Typhus?)
    • Possible shooter/RPG mode controls, like StarTrek Online.
    • Third person action, plays like Gears of War/Space Marine mixed together for shooting.
      Melee is more like Space Marine/Darksiders, with the target lock on.
      Blocking melee attacks is a maybe, sheilds may be NPC only.
    • NPC creatures vary from: Necromunda like humans, Chaos Cultists, Dark Eldar; from Grotesques to Warriors, Chaos Daemons and beasts, Orks, Grots, Guardsmen, defected Guardsmen, most of the minor Demons, Dreadnoughts, Tyranid Warriors, Genestealers and more.
    • Forgeworld things may be present. Thunderhawk, terrain sets, Aquila landers, FW-esque equipment on vehicles.
    • Environments range from snowy mountains, to the innards of a crashed space hulk... from cities destroyed, and orkified, to ancient eldar cities, overgrown with nids... from ancient battlefields, littered with the carcases of Titans and tanks, to a hive city, nostalgic with necromunda.... from the halls of Imperial Cruisers, to tge desecrated throne rooms of Chaos.
    • Everything is large, beefy, and sticks to 40k very well. People already invested in the background and game will progress at a snails pace, as we will be distracted by everything.
    • Left mouse uses the weapon in your character's left hand, Right mouse uses the weapon in your character's right hand. Rather cool mechanic.
    • All abilities have a cooldown... No spamminh your "3" key like most MMOs. This will likely annoy WoW diehards. This pleases me.
    • Melee combos - dual weilding gives new moves
    • There is sprinting.
    • "Guilds" will be present.
    • Team/party/squad size is 5
    • "Raid" size is 50... subject to change.
    • Ranged weapons have infinite ammo, but there is reloading, overheating, venting, and reloading.
    • Weapons rarely get to take full advantage of their range when inside... lots of cover and turning corners, it's very dynamic.
    • Hero classes are possible, unlocked once you get a character high enoigh level.
      • Imperium: Grey Knight
      • Chaos: Chaos Sorcerer
      • Ork: 'Ard boy or Weird boy
      • Eldar: Farseer
    • Hero classes will begin at higher level...
    • Likely 40.

A player progressing as a marine will do so as follows:

Lv. 0: an adept, think a marine wearing just carapace armor.
    Lv. 10: more or less a scout.
    Lv. 20: equipped like the marine character in th sm codex... forgot his name.
    Lv. 30: a standard marine
    Lv. 40 honor guard or Sergeant, some decoration
    Lv. 50 sternguard, maybe captain.
    Lv. 60 artificer armor, iron halos, the whole sha-bang.

Grey knight fits in fairly well at around 40.

Other classes progress similarly.

Misc. Notes
    • Tech priest are very, very pure adeptus mechamicus themed...Backpacks with a robot arm.
    • A cover system is implemented.Waist high cover and standing cover.
    • Cross platform is very possible.
    • Shooting mechanics will have aim assist
    • Similarly, melee attacks will lock on.
    • Abilities work similar to Warhammer Online. A common resource, then each class has a unique resource used with abilities.
    • Weapons inxrease in "coolness" as far as progression is concerned.
    • A lv. 1 autogun may be it's familiar form in necromunda and early IG... by lv 60, sone autoguns look cool enough for inquisitors to be using, lathered in fancy trim, aquilas, etc.
    • Same goes for other weapons.... think Call of Duty, as you unlock the various weapon upgrades, you guns start looking cooler.

Each class has 3 specialties.
    • Marine: Tactical, Devastator, Assault
    • Assassin/guardsman: the major assassin type, callidus, vindicare, eversor (however you spell it)
    • The Marine is by far the most flushed out.
    • most abilities are still very WIP.
    • Jump packs- not sure how they'll work

Well that sounds promising, Eldar yay! I don't get the choice of Eldar classes though. Melee tank, ranged dps, better ranged dps, healer/buffer?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast