Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sisters of Battle: A Real Army?

Sisters of Battle: A Real Army?

I'm new to 40k and currently collect a GK army. I am also semi-interested in collecting a Sisters of Battle Army, however I have questions.

Will they get a real
    codex (not the current WD one)?

Will they get a plastic model line?

Are they trying to phase out this army?

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
    "Orks have been known to form WAAAGHS just to organize a uniform direction in which to flee from him. ". - Tonberry

Re: Sisters of Battle: A Real Army?

They will get a new dex, the current WD one is just to get us by and to clean out the current metals, plastic sisters have already been sighted and on the burner most likely for 6th edition
    Hydra Dominatus!

I'll register a doomsayer opinion. I have a full sisters army, I love them. They are firmly shelved until they get something other than the horrible farce that was this WD codex. And to be honest, I'm not sure that'll ever actually happen.

The answer is: No-one really knows. It's not looking likely, really.

They will get a codex; GW has been known to do those "get you by" WD lists in the past before a proper codex is released.

More likely to be a finecast line. If you're not a fan of finecast Id keep an eye on ebay for metals.

No they arnt being squatted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

Yes, probably, no (if they were trying to squat them, why on earth would they release new rules for them?)
    Alas, poor Warhammer! I knew it, Horatio: a game of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: I hath read of it's fluff a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here lies that game I hath played I know not how oft. Where be your fiction now? Your jibes? Your creativity? Your flashes of merriment, that were want to set the table on a roar? One now, to be mocked by thy own industry.

Give it a year tops as far as I'm concerned. There'll be a new edition next year if rumours are to be believed and that means a Space Marine codex. With the provisional rules it stands to reason that Sisters of Battle would get a codex first after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    When daddy blogger and mommy traffic love each other very much, they create a little bundle of made up nonsense.

Have to agree with what hte others here are saying. I was in the same boat as you when it came wanting to start up a Sisters of Battle army, already had the list set aside and just had to send it to my LGS for special orders.

Then the WD Minidex hit, I'd suggest waiting till a proper codex which is predicted within the next year or so. It was a poor man's get by, and screwed up a lot of the key things that made SoB appealing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Ona Leash View Post
    "Exterminatatus: It's our Chaos-free philosophy!"

Timon and Pumba were Inquisitors. Makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboreth View Post
    Watchers in the Dark. Creepy little jawas.
    Da Gitz Squad (My Blog)

They should get a new codex in 2-3 years, but that will propably be (my assumption) one of the last if not the last codex to be remade from the current waiting line (soon to be Necron, Chaos and then Tau, Eldar, Black Templar, Dark Angels).

If GW's trying to phase them out (they did say at gamesday that they weren't going to 'squat' any other races), they're going about it in a very strange way...

Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    More likely to be a finecast line. If you're not a fan of finecast Id keep an eye on ebay for metals.
    This is highly unlikely. There may be some old metals recast in Finecast, but they will not make new molds for a "temporary solution" medium. New stuff will all be plastics from here on out regardless of the army.

Callius, the Sisters of Battle are my primary army and the ones I enjoy the most. I am one of the few that actually feel the new codex can make a soild and competative army. And I will be the first to tell you that now is not a good time to get into a new Sisters of Battle army. The last update the army had was 7 years ago when they took the existing codex and removed large portions of it and reproduced it in PDF form. The codex before that, the Witch Hunters, was a slightly reduced and modified for the "current" Edition version of the Chapter Approved codex. With each itteration, we lose more equipment and unit choices. So no, I have no hopes for a full hard back codex with enriching fluff and cool new vehicles. But I will play them while I can. I will happily eat my words if I am wrong, but I know the history of the army and have enough engineering to recognise a decline curve when I see one.

On the other hand, if you are more into the hobby side, you can't beat them for cool factor. Space nuns of the 41st millennium kicking butt and raising hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
    I'm new to 40k and currently collect a GK army. I am also semi-interested in collecting a Sisters of Battle Army, however I have questions.

Will they get a real
    codex (not the current WD one)?

Will they get a plastic model line?

Are they trying to phase out this army?

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
    1. I would like to think yes based on evidence cited by other posters.

2. I would also say yes, we have not heard anything for sure but any 40k army won't be getting metal models anymore with the advent of finecast now. So definitely plastic/finecast when new models come out.

3. Several months ago they completely removed them from the GW website and then they brought them back onto the site with a renovated product list.(mostly cutting out things they wanted to drop if I remember correctly). Then we get a 2-part codex in 2 white dwarf magazines(August, September) and had battle missions for sister of battle in the next magazine(October) with a page of "Available Now" ads for sob units.

In my opinion they are not phasing out this army, if they were it was what appeared to be, (at least to me) a lot of wasted magazine space and effort to just phase them out. Would be very mixed signalish.

There will be a codex, there will be new models, they are not being discontinued, as always SOB players new and old will just have to wait a little while longer for their time. Long though it has been. Not that it hasn't been long for other armies as well but GW it's making its rounds.

There have been models seen the the most reliable rumor mongers around. These people are so trusted and the models so far in production that a lot of sisters players thought they would be getting a plastic kit with the white dwarf release. The current rumor puts sisters as the november army for next year. personally I see them being early 2013 instead.

If you really like the army the current metals are still great models. I don't think many if any other GW models have withstood the test of time like the sisters have. But if the codex is really coming out next year spending hundreds of dollars on the old metals might not be the best idea.
    B.B.Hoods family full of disappointment. Tamales on the floor. The dads sombrero broken.

Accepting all challengers, currently playing SFxT, UMVC3, SCV, DoA5.
    My Xbox Live account is Vicioushellsing.

Somewhere, out there, in the vast nothingness of space. Somewhere far beyond space, and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    They will get a codex; GW has been known to do those "get you by" WD lists in the past before a proper codex is released.
    So we can expect the full Kroot Mercenaries codex any time soon, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    If GW's trying to phase them out (they did say at gamesday that they weren't going to 'squat' any other races), they're going about it in a very strange way...
    Sisters are currently at the same stage as Squats were during the early stages of 2nd Ed 40K - the design studio has rushed out a barebones get-you-by list because they've promised 'no more squatting' so they feel they have to give us something, but nobody there really has a vision for the army or any enthusiasm to work on them.

I'm expecting a slow decline into further obscurity with a minimum of tangible support to keep the army legal (albeit hideously uncompetitive).
    "Every man knows he is a sissy compared to Johnny Cash."
    - Bono
    "I just want to hear something I haven't heard before."
    - John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by Helicon_One View Post
    Sisters are currently at the same stage as Squats were during the early stages of 2nd Ed 40K - the design studio has rushed out a barebones get-you-by list because they've promised 'no more squatting' so they feel they have to give us something, but nobody there really has a vision for the army or any enthusiasm to work on them.

I'm expecting a slow decline into further obscurity with a minimum of tangible support to keep the army legal (albeit hideously uncompetitive).
    The one thing I don't get is this: GW became this huge monolith of a company in past years, don't even want to know the head count of their legal and sales departments, yet their design team, the guys that the rest of the company is literally built around, seems to number 3 to 4 guys.

I just wonder, let's say they employ 5 more game designers instead of ten more lawyers, couldn't that effectively cut the time of the "codex circle" in half? Work on twice the number of armies / codices at the same time, release twice the number of codices each year, no more updates to an army 4 years after the new edition rolled out...

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
    Heritage: My Captain Anisha Nemo Warmachine Fiction
    My Warmachine Introduction Guide (Tactica Collection)
    My Battle Report Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
    (in Warmachine) Each model is part of a puzzle, which together makes a weapon that you use to break apart your opponent's puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts View Post
    The one thing I don't get is this: GW became this huge monolith of a company in past years, don't even want to know the head count of their legal and sales departments, yet their design team, the guys that the rest of the company is literally built around, seems to number 3 to 4 guys.

I just wonder, let's say they employ 5 more game designers instead of ten more lawyers, couldn't that effectively cut the time of the "codex circle" in half? Work on twice the number of armies / codices at the same time, release twice the number of codices each year, no more updates to an army 4 years after the new edition rolled out...

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
    It wouldn't cut the codex circle in half because of the miniatures, assuming that they'll stick with the current "codex + updated kits". And to be honest, why wouldn't they? Its working perfectly fine for the moment. As an additional point, do you honestly think that double the number of released armybooks/ codices would double the number of sales? I'm thinking no, with most players having a limited supply of funds to spend on wargaming.

If (and this is a fairly big if) they started releasing Codices/ armybooks with lesser model support, then a larger design team to hasten the process along could be both profitable and ensures and a wider range of armies are kept up to date and in line with the current ruleset (a very good thing).

As to the original question; yes, the Sisters are real army, they probably won't be dropped (There are better candidates, i.e. one of the Imperial marine codices [heresy, I know but admit it; they are reasonably same-ish, especially DA to Codex: Space Marines at the present time]). As to when they'll be updated, after 6th, Chaos and Eldar (the last is June/ july next year IIRC). So, we're looking around november/ october unless Tau move ahead, in which case early next year unless a Space marine codex jumps in front.

@Baneboss: has there been any word about templars or Dark Angels?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    Give it a year tops as far as I'm concerned. There'll be a new edition next year if rumours are to be believed and that means a Space Marine codex. With the provisional rules it stands to reason that Sisters of Battle would get a codex first after that.
    I disagree with your timeline assessment. The Blood Angels used their WD codex for nigh on 3+ years before they got a new codex. I'd shelf your force or get comfortable with the horribel WD rules if I were you. I personally expect no codex before 2014 and more likely around 2015/2016.

2012 - 6th edition
    2012/2013/2014 - codex updates for Space Marines, Chaose Space Marines, Eldar, Tau and maybe Dark Angels and Black Templar in there some-where

If we're lucky SoB hit fall of 2014 (in my personal opinion), but likely farther out than that.
    "A plea of Innocent is guilty of wasting my time."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    Well, they also promised after the Blood Angels that there would be no more White Drawf codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlan na Dyr View Post
    It wouldn't cut the codex circle in half because of the miniatures, assuming that they'll stick with the current "codex + updated kits". And to be honest, why wouldn't they? Its working perfectly fine for the moment. As an additional point, do you honestly think that double the number of released armybooks/ codices would double the number of sales? I'm thinking no, with most players having a limited supply of funds to spend on wargaming.

If (and this is a fairly big if) they started releasing Codices/ armybooks with lesser model support, then a larger design team to hasten the process along could be both profitable and ensures and a wider range of armies are kept up to date and in line with the current ruleset (a very good thing).

As to the original question; yes, the Sisters are real army, they probably won't be dropped (There are better candidates, i.e. one of the Imperial marine codices [heresy, I know but admit it; they are reasonably same-ish, especially DA to Codex: Space Marines at the present time]). As to when they'll be updated, after 6th, Chaos and Eldar (the last is June/ july next year IIRC). So, we're looking around november/ october unless Tau move ahead, in which case early next year unless a Space marine codex jumps in front.
    Here we are getting to the actual crux of the matter. Does it make business sense.

In the old days (not so long ago at all) each model was sculpted by hand in wax. You could make some parts and cast up a few pieces to be reused but in the end, they were all built by a few people with incredible skill.

Now we are in the digatal age with 3D printers. You can train more people to use 3D software and more easily reuse object files in new ways and create more detailed minitures in less time than before.

So we can cut mockup time and costs dramatically while improving quality at the same time. All they need is a demand for the product. So here we go with an old and lesser used but truly iconic army like the Sisters of Battle. We can build mock ups and prototypes quickly but before we go to the expense of creating molds and casting up models, do we think they will sell?

Trot out a quick mini-dex update and see how the remaining stock moves. Is the remaining stock selling? I don't have those figures. I could ask my magic 8-ball and get as good of an answer as my guess would be. I do know that there are several models on the site that are out of stock but as far as I know, they were out of stock when the new Sisters of battle section was made. I am hoping the current stock is selling well enough to warrent the full attention of both plastic models and full codex publication costs, but I have been let down too many times already.

Here's my Pure Conjecture:

GW wants to get all the 3rd Edition Codexes out of print prior to 6th Edition, which is widely rumored for next spring/summer. They also learned something from the new Codex: Dark Eldar. Namely, if you release a good codex and a full range of models to support it, people will purchase the models. Just look at all the models they are releasing for Codex: Necrons.

Given that Codex Witch Hunters has 1 plastic kit for the entire range, they just didn't have time to create a new range of models to release a full codex. The White Dwarf Sisters of Battle Codex allows them to retire Codex: Witch Hunters prior to 6th Edition. It also gave them 15 months to prepare models and a codex for a major Sister of Battle release in November 2012.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure there will be a major Codex/model release in November 2012.
    WFB 8th Edition Empire W/L/D: 0/2/1
    Sister of Battle 6th W/L/D: 5/2/0
    Terran Alliance W/L/D: 10/5/1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast