Thread: Date for the Dawn of War 2 campaign

Date for the Dawn of War 2 campaign

I've tried to find some info on this, to no avail. Does anybody know at what point in M41 does the Dawn of War 2 campaign take place? I assume that given the first recorded contact with Necrons is in 897.M41, and the Blood Ravens fight them on Kronus, it's after that date, but as far as I could see, there has been no official time for it.
    Space Wolves: Making beards and beer fashionable since M30.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkash Gorehowl View Post
    Mhh, I think the Hellcannon is quite fitting. Weak humans have crossbows, only a single shoe and cannons. Serious humans are 8 foot tall, wear hellforged plate armour and have a metal monstrosity with a bound demon inside. Did I mention it fires souls?

Re: Date for the Dawn of War 2 campaign

Sometime between last Tuesday and October 5 1941. if you think I'm kidding then try and date when the life and trials of captain Titus of the second company of Ultramarines takes place.

If I had to guess though I would put my money on very early 41000s
    To represent the Emperor on the tabletop simply place a live hand grenade in your opponent's deployment zone, pull pin and duck.

Quote Originally Posted by kamedake88 View Post
    Sometime between last Tuesday and October 5 1941. if you think I'm kidding then try and date when the life and trials of captain Titus of the second company of Ultramarines takes place.

If I had to guess though I would put my money on very early 41000s
    Given how many Second Company Captains have appeared in various media over the years, most dated as occurring in M.41 the attrition rate must be absolutely devastating.

But Titus also adds another complication. He clearly references the Aurelian campaign when talking to a Blood Raven. So Dawn of War 2 has to have happened prior to Space Marine, which in turn has to have occurred prior to Captain Sicarius taking command of the Second Company.
    Last edited by Spider-pope; 20-10-2011 at 07:52.
    Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-pope
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Shego View Post
    Killing his captain is meh. Killing his Primarch? Hell, that goes on a resume
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfblade670 View Post
    Spider-pope, Spider-pope, does whatever a Spider-pope does. Can he swing into a thread? Of course he can, 'cause he's the Pope. Lookout, its the Spider pope...
    Read about my terrible luck gaming and iffy painting on my blog

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

And that in itself needs to take place sometime after the battle for macragge in 745.m41
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    Given how many Second Company Captains have appeared in various media over the years, most dated as occurring in M.41 the attrition rate must be absolutely devastating.

But Titus also adds another complication. He clearly references the Aurelian campaign when talking to a Blood Raven. So Dawn of War 2 has to have happened prior to Space Marine, which in turn has to have occurred prior to Captain Sicarius taking command of the Second Company.
    Unless it takes place after...Sicarus could either be Chapter Master or 1st Company Captain, with Titus his replacement in 2nd.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Truth is though we can guess all we want but the simple fact is we don't know. That's why I hate these types of questions because it gives way after a short while to nonsense. Not to pick on the above poster but I bet you somewhere right now someone read "Sicarus could either be Chapter Master or 1st Company Captain" and takes it as fact. In the same vein people ask can a space marine have a vagina as if something in the background, which subsequently is a massive piece of fiction with more plot holes than a hobo's socks, referenced it back in the eighties and trolls the internet and lexicanum looking for an affirmative answer. Not that most people who delve that deep into these things has any concept of what a vagina is, mind you.

We have no idea because GW is either to bone idle lazy to care about their background in any real way and just sees it as a way to sell poorly written books. Or does it on purpose because they like to watch nerds grow fat while sitting at their PC's looking for said background stuffing their faces with Oreos and Doritos because GW is secretly owned by Nabisco.
    Last edited by kamedake88; 20-10-2011 at 12:36.
    To represent the Emperor on the tabletop simply place a live hand grenade in your opponent's deployment zone, pull pin and duck.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    Unless it takes place after...Sicarus could either be Chapter Master or 1st Company Captain, with Titus his replacement in 2nd.
    With 40k seemingly frozen at 999.M41, and as of that date Sicarus is still 2nd Company captain, i would lean towards Titus as a predecessor. But you are right there is nothing that directly indicates that Space Marine couldnt occur later in the timeline.

We have no idea because GW is either to bone idle lazy to care about their background in any real way and just sees it as a way to sell poorly written books. Or does it on purpose because they like to watch nerds grow fat while sitting at their PC's looking for said background stuffing their faces with Oreos and Doritos because GW is secretly owned by Nabisco.
    Sorry but what on earth are you on about? The issue being discussed here has sod all to do with Games Workshop themselves, it's Relic who created the background for their games, so if anyone is to blame for an inconclusive date its Relic.

And quite frankly its discussions like these that are the interesting side of the background, putting together the various tidbits of information to work out your own understanding of the fluff.

And as to why GW doesnt dictate every moment in the 40k universe and describe every place is because its supposed to be an open setting, a universe where each player can craft their own little bit of background for themselves. And i much prefer it as it is.
    Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-pope
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Shego View Post
    Killing his captain is meh. Killing his Primarch? Hell, that goes on a resume
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfblade670 View Post
    Spider-pope, Spider-pope, does whatever a Spider-pope does. Can he swing into a thread? Of course he can, 'cause he's the Pope. Lookout, its the Spider pope...
    Read about my terrible luck gaming and iffy painting on my blog

Quote Originally Posted by kamedake88 View Post
    Not to pick on the above poster but I bet you somewhere right now someone read "Sicarus could either be Chapter Master or 1st Company Captain" and takes it as fact.
    If people are going to take that as fact, I may as well mention the solid gold thunderhawk mentioned at GamesDay

GW itself has the timeline fairly locked at 999m41, but not everything complies by that. Fall of Medusa V took place later, Cadian Blood is at least 000m42, and the framing story and some references in the Cain books are well into m42. No real reason Space Marine can't be, as there is nothing either way.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.