Page 196 of 217 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4324

Thread: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

Quote Originally Posted by rocdocta View Post
    the TB is heavy 1 ?! i thought it was assault 1... better check my book at home and stop cheating...
    It is very much heavy 1

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ThePope; 08-05-2012 at 13:03.

Chapter Master

Re: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

yes, 12" heavy 1 ... and the affected model is chosen randomly. I don't know why they put these sort of things in codices (other than never playtesting them, or maybe they put it in as assault 1, in a test game it freakishly killed draigo/calgar/grimnar/etc. so they panicked and reduced it to uselessness). A squad with Orikan and a Phaeron in it is the only way it'll ever get fired...

Mark.

Think forward about it, 6th edition rules may make a better use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benigno (WE) View Post
    Think forward about it, 6th edition rules may make a better use for it.
    Yeah, when I saw they were heavy 1 it made me think that perhaps jump infantry will get relentless or a similar special rule. but on the other hand, does this seem too good for only 15 points? I suppose trying to exile big monstrous things will usually only work on a 6+.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdboy View Post
    Yeah, when I saw they were heavy 1 it made me think that perhaps jump infantry will get relentless or a similar special rule. but on the other hand, does this seem too good for only 15 points? I suppose trying to exile big monstrous things will usually only work on a 6+.
    And against a normal space marine its exactly as effective as a Gauss Flayer. Its only worth it against units consisting entirely of expensive models with good defenses that have a low S rating, and even then it will only "maybe kill 1", they said unit charges you and you die.

Mark.

<edit> just thought of one use:- has a 1/6 chance of removing a warlord titan from play (it works on anything with a strength rating). I can see the potential in apocalypse...
    Last edited by Cheeslord; 08-05-2012 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeslord View Post
    And against a normal space marine its exactly as effective as a Gauss Flayer. Its only worth it against units consisting entirely of expensive models with good defenses that have a low S rating, and even then it will only "maybe kill 1", they said unit charges you and you die.

Mark.

<edit> just thought of one use:- has a 1/6 chance of removing a warlord titan from play (it works on anything with a strength rating). I can see the potential in apocalypse...
    lol, take a few squads of 6 wraith with TBs as titan hunters. It also works on dreadnoughts. And it's not terrible against TH/SS terminators. Again, assuming jump infantry = relentless in 6th.
    Maneuver to create local superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by rocdocta View Post
    the TB is heavy 1 ?! i thought it was assault 1... better check my book at home and stop cheating...
    Between using Torrent of fire rules that don't exist, and using Heavy weapons as Assault, I think you need to take a proper read of both codex and BRB...
    Kelanen

Quote Originally Posted by Kelanen View Post
    Between using Torrent of fire rules that don't exist, and using Heavy weapons as Assault, I think you need to take a proper read of both codex and BRB...
    At least it explains why he's been so remarkably fond of the Transdimensional Beamer each time it's come up in the thread for the past few months!

With the new models available, I'm moving away from the death-star type of list to an all-rounder list below:

HQ
    -Overlord on CCB (Warscythe, Sempiternal Weave)
    -Destroyer Lord (Warscythe, Res Orb, Sempiternal Weave, Mindshackle Scarabs)
    -Royal Court of DOOOM!!!
    -Lance Cryptek with Solar Pulse
    -Lance Cryptek
    -Lance Cryptek
    -Lance Cryptek
    -Aeon Cryptek with Chronometron

ELITE
    -Triarch Stalker
    -Triarch Stalker

TROOP
    -5 Necron Warriors
    -5 Necron Warriors
    -Ghost Ark (Royal Court of DOOOM!!! will hijack this)

FAST ATTACK
    -6 Wraiths (2 Whip Coils, 2 Particle Casters)
    -3 Scarab Swarms

HEAVY ATTACK
    -3 Tomb Sypders
    -Annihilation Barge
    -Annihilation Barge

TOTAL: 1745pts

Don't mind the min 2 squad of Troop. They are playable in my gaming environment as we tend to put them in reserves and come in later to grab the objectives after we kill everything else.
    One thing I'm not sure is the Destroyer Lord. Should I remove him to get another unit of Wraiths? Or even the new Tomb Blades?
    How to make the synergy of the army more competitive?
    In Khorne We Trust....... Amen.

I don't think you have enough units to benefit from the twin linking ability the 2 stalkers will give you. If it was my list, I would swap 1 of the stalkers for a unit of 5 destroyers - since you dont care about scoring units. And the 3 scarab unit seems too small. I know you plan to add more to it with the spyders, but if you dont get first turn, it would be relatively easy for them to get shot and then your spyders have nothing to add scarabs to.
    Last edited by Weirdboy; 09-05-2012 at 04:05. Reason: wrong unit

Quote Originally Posted by DJ3 View Post
    At least it explains why he's been so remarkably fond of the Transdimensional Beamer each time it's come up in the thread for the past few months!
    it certainly does! as a 40k gamer since 1994 i find that sometimes i confuse the rule sets. Its why sites like this one are brilliant for setting me back on the straight and narrow. I only get to play in tourneys now so i am often a bit rusty on the current rules. i know...i know 6th is just around the corner. i am just so glad that the TB hasnt really done much or i would really feel bad.

i am happy to say that all of my wins and 2 losses have been through good old fashioned assault and dangerous terrain tests...

Orikan now seems like a good concept but terrible realisation. i have found he powers up and next turn powers down. now his gun is so inflexible that it is indeed bordering on useless...

Hi guys, just wanted to share a WW army that worked pretty well for me.

Imhotek
    Overlord - ws, mss, barge
    4 crypteks - 3 transmog, 1 despair with veil
    1 cryptek - eternity with chrono
    5 warriors
    5 warriors
    5 warriors
    18 warriors
    C'Tan - WW SSD
    3 Wraiths - 2 coils
    5 scarabs
    4 scarabs
    2 spyders - 1 claw
    Monolith

With this list, I tended to use the barge lord and scarabs as suicide units. Imhotek with the veil cryptek and the chrono cryptek go with the big squad. Wraiths are used as a reserve force. I also found the claw on a spyder to be really useful as it helps with wound allocation and if needed, I can use the Monolith's portal to bring them over to repair itself.
    This signature has been deliberately left blank.

I don't think you have enough units to benefit from the twin linking ability the 2 stalkers will give you. If it was my list, I would swap 1 of the stalkers for a unit of 5 destroyers - since you dont care about scoring units. And the 3 scarab unit seems too small. I know you plan to add more to it with the spyders, but if you dont get first turn, it would be relatively easy for them to get shot and then your spyders have nothing to add scarabs to.
    The Triarch Stalkers are more meant for AT role. And they are excellent for tying up CC units with their AV13
    So definitely min any list will need at least 2 Triarch Stalkers!
    If only 1 Triarch Stalker, it will definitely be aiming at vehicle, would it even benefit the destroyers which are more meant against infantry?

Maybe I'll remove the res orb from the destroyer lord to add in more scarab into the unit.
    In Khorne We Trust....... Amen.

One thing I was told in the tourney I played, that I had no idea about was the following:

I can't put my warriors in reserve and keep my Ghost Arks filled with Crypteks in game.
    If warriors go in reserve, the Ghost Arks must be in reserve as well. If the warriors are normally in game, the ghost arks must be normally in game.

I was also told, I can have the courts in my Arks from the beggining of the match. I could start the game with Arks filled with Courts, I didn't have to enter first turn!

Any of you can explain somehow how all of this works?

The warriors may be in reserve but its dedicated transport (ark) can be on the board. However, the cryptecs cannot start the game inside the ark since it is not their dedicated transport. hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Necr0n View Post
    One thing I was told in the tourney I played, that I had no idea about was the following:

I can't put my warriors in reserve and keep my Ghost Arks filled with Crypteks in game.
    If warriors go in reserve, the Ghost Arks must be in reserve as well. If the warriors are normally in game, the ghost arks must be normally in game.

I was also told, I can have the courts in my Arks from the beggining of the match. I could start the game with Arks filled with Courts, I didn't have to enter first turn!

They're most definately separate units and as far as I'm aware, there is nothing preventing you from deploy separately.

Case in point - You can deploy a squad of marines on foot while having your drop pod come down by itself.

"You are but ephemeral whereas we are forever"
    - Imhotekh the Stormlord
    Compilation of my Necron Batrep detailing the conquest of the Sautekh Empire - The Sautekh Chronicles

As there was a discussion about 1500 lists, ill add my 2 cents, after some testing ill be going to the following:

Overlord w/Warscythe,Semp Weave - Command Barge w/Gauss
    3 Harbringers of Destruction w/Solar Pulse
    Overlord w/Warscythe,Semp Weave - Command Barge w/Gauss
    3 Harbringers of Destruction w/Solar Pulse

5 Necron Warriors w/Ghost Ark
    5 Necron Warriors w/Ghost Ark
    5 Necron Warriors

6 Wraiths w/3 Whipcoils, Particle Caster

1 Annihilation Barge w/Tesla
    1 Annihilation Barge w/Tesla

1500 on the dot

The idea is the put a pulse and normal cryptek in each ark and 2 normals in the foot ones, they stay in the back field. The Barges and Wraiths are used very agressively, the anni barges and arks are used as suppression or to soften up targets.
    2 Pulses make sure i get most of my plans into position nearly unmolested, 6 AV13 and 6 Wraiths tend to be quite difficult to root with the pulse protection.
    You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years
    Yet have little of account to show for your efforts
    Order. Unity. Obedience.
    We taught the galaxy these things

And we shall do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by Necr0n View Post

I'm generally confused as to where this belief comes from, but I've had two or three different people tell me the same thing. But there's absolutely no current rules to that end.

In reality, things are very simple: The only unique rules for Dedicated Transports is that units other than the one which purchased it cannot deploy inside it--so no, you can't deploy your Court in it. Other than that, the unit which purchased it and the Dedicated Transport itself are not related in any way, and are two entirely separate units.

Lots of times peoples' brains will see a prohibition and mentally re-write it to be a requirement of the opposite. You can't deploy other units in it, so you must deploy that unit in it. But that's just inherently untrue, and is mostly a result of people getting confused.

So no, both of the things you were told are incorrect, and are not even the kind of things that are ever really contested rules-wise. Whoever you were playing just doesn't seem to have a very firm grasp of the rules.

Edit:

And I thought this was in there somewhere--here's the BRB directly saying it's fine, word-for-word:

Quote Originally Posted by BRB Pg. 94
    Remember that a dedicated transport can only be deployed, and consequently can only be kept in reserve, either empty or transporting the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters).
    Last edited by DJ3; 09-05-2012 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jospoon View Post
    The Triarch Stalkers are more meant for AT role. And they are excellent for tying up CC units with their AV13
    So definitely min any list will need at least 2 Triarch Stalkers!
    If only 1 Triarch Stalker, it will definitely be aiming at vehicle, would it even benefit the destroyers which are more meant against infantry?

Maybe I'll remove the res orb from the destroyer lord to add in more scarab into the unit.

I like to use stalkers to give my Immortals and Desroyers twin linked weapons at whatever unit I want them to make dead

I like to use stalkers to give my Immortals and Desroyers twin linked weapons at whatever unit I want them to make dead
    I'm still not sold that stalkers should be taken just to twin-link other units for their primary role. A bare stalker is an anti-tank tool in its own right. In theory, it should be killing its target instead of spending 150 points to twin-link another anti-tank unit. If you're spending points on a particle shredder to twin-link an immortal unit, I'd rather spend 170 points on 10 more immortals instead even when a particle shredder can potentially have a higher damage output. 10 additional immortals will probably be more consistent. Using a heat ray paired with immortals is just counter-productive. Unless your meta is infantry based, I think a stalker should be kept in the dedicated anti-tank category. For 150 points it's still a cheaper alternative to 3 heavy destroyers and in desperation, cheaper than a lance court. Now if twin-linking allowed you to re-roll ALL dice instead of misses, then I would have a different opinion.

Page 196 of 217 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 ... LastLast