Page 160 of 217 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 210 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 4324

Thread: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

Chapter Master

Re: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

The main hold up I have with running a Despair court in a Ghost Ark, is that I am not sure where to fit it. My theoretical Storm Lord list (waiting on Stalkers to come out), is;

Stormlord
    3x10 Warriors
    2x Triarch Stalkers
    2x 5 Wraiths w/whip coils
    10 Scarabs
    3x 3 Tomb Spyders

I have 35 points to spare, and it would probably go into a Cryptek of some sort. Thats 265 points I'd have to fit in, and I am not sure the court would be more effective than whatever I'd have to take out. Maybe in a 2500 point game.
    Project Tomb World: Here

If someone were to actually try it, I'd think an Imotekh army is absolutely the best place for it, as it gives him an effective battlefield role (by adding another Flamer) that he otherwise struggles to find, aside from sittin' in the corner watching Lightning go off. Putting a Chronometron in the unit really helps synergize things (as Imotekh needs to be near one of those whenever possible anyway) and four Abyssal Staves should still be more than enough.

In your army specifically, you could nuke the Stalkers if you wanted to give it a try (and have 60 points left over). What are you aiming for with the Stalkers anyhow? Your only Shooting in the whole list is Warriors, which isn't necessarily an overwhelming thing to go Twin-Linking.

Alternatively, you could ditch a unit of Wraiths (as the Driveby Ark would fulfill a similar purpose) which also directly benefits you by freeing up a FA slot to allow you to split your Scarabs into 5+4 (as you'd have to drop a Scarab to make it fit), which is infinitely preferable in terms of running a Farm like that. You're putting all your eggs in that one big Scarab-y basket, as is. Multiple units to build gives you a ton more flexibility and is preferable in just about every conceivable way.

As much as I like Wraiths, I'd probably never run a full 3x3 Spyder army backing only a single unit of Scarabs. Too many things can go wrong.

Edit: And while I think Imotekh's a good fit for the Driveby Ark, it's important to remember not to get yourself caught in a Tau Fireknife "I would have killed more if I fired less" scenario. If you're firing at a unit that can allocate wounds away (i.e., pretty much any Space Marines ever) and you're in a position where you expect to wipe the unit out completely, you'll want to not fire Imotekh--or use the Staff of the Destroyer instead, if they won't receive cover against it--otherwise you might end up saving a Sergeant or Meltagun with Imotekh's wounds via allocation.
    Last edited by DJ3; 16-02-2012 at 22:54.

Haven't really had a chance to test my double phaeron list yet, but after signing up for a 2000 point tournament that's pure kill points (weird, I know) I wrote a version of it for that.

2x overlord (phaeron, MSS, scythe, orb, phaseshifter)
    2x full lance/chrono court with solar pulse

2x 20 warriors

10 scarabs
    3 heavy destroyers

3 spyders
    2 annihilation barges

2000 pts

Ghost arks or wraiths are not an option because of model reasons (hate the arks, waiting for the new wraiths), but some tweaking is propably possible. I could take another 10 scarabs instead of destroyers and add sempiternal weaves to the overlords, for example. Again, this list is for special circumstances where scoring units are not needed.
    Last edited by Malkuth; 16-02-2012 at 23:10.

Larger changes aside, I'd probably go ahead and drop to eight Scarabs to get your Sempiternals. You'll have so many Scarabs in that unit by the time they actually engage something that a loss of two from the original unit will be borderline irrelevant.

I'm not a big fan of multiple 20 man warrior squads. A single phaeron squad can be ok. Even with lord support, a 20 man blob of warriors can easily be cut down in HtH thanks to sweep. 20 bodies may not necessarily give you enough quality dice to successfully win combat. Adding a ghost ark would be a good benefit even with 20 man units since you're fielding royal court units. Barges allow any size warrior squad to survive longer and gives really good protection to your courts.

Ghost Arks would obviously help, but he said they're out of the question because he hates the model.

I can't imagine how unfun it would be assembling a Ghost Ark if you actively dislike the thing. I like those things, and it was still borderline fork-in-the-eye level tedious putting them together.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ3 View Post
    Ghost Arks would obviously help, but he said they're out of the question because he hates the model.

I can't imagine how unfun it would be assembling a Ghost Ark if you actively dislike the thing. I like those things, and it was still borderline fork-in-the-eye level tedious putting them together.
    I could propably handle putting one or two of those things together but painting them... Oh hell no, even when not using them seriously gimps my warrior-based lists.

Let's put it this way: What would be the best way to run warrior-heavy footcrons? I will buy some wraiths when they're released (soon, I hope), but for the moment I'll have to survive without them, which pretty much means I have to survive without any proper close combat units. I have some lychguard, but I don't think they'd be worth their points in a tournament list at all. I've had some success with writhing worldscape -based lists, but I'm having trouble finding ways to include any serious antitank in a list where 3 to 5 crypteks have to be tremorteks in 5 man warrior units. I have 9 heavy destroyers, but they're so damn expensive in points...

Quote Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
    I could propably handle putting one or two of those things together but painting them... Oh hell no, even when not using them seriously gimps my warrior-based lists.

Let's put it this way: What would be the best way to run warrior-heavy footcrons? I will buy some wraiths when they're released (soon, I hope), but for the moment I'll have to survive without them, which pretty much means I have to survive without any proper close combat units. I have some lychguard, but I don't think they'd be worth their points in a tournament list at all. I've had some success with writhing worldscape -based lists, but I'm having trouble finding ways to include any serious antitank in a list where 3 to 5 crypteks have to be tremorteks in 5 man warrior units. I have 9 heavy destroyers, but they're so damn expensive in points...
    It can be tough using an older necron army with the new codex. Heavy/all infantry necrons can still work just fine but they still require a little TLC. Worldscape really becomes a "rounded" list since the majority of it's power is only on turn 1. You need to design the army to function successfully without worldscape as a whole. When it comes to heavy destroyers, it's anyone's bag. They are really expensive where lance courts can do a better job. However based on your meta, they may have a place. I've read other comments where units of heavy destroyers are used against IG vehicle squadrons and the like to produce a "stunlock" at long range to allow your shorter range weapons to come in range. 6th edition is also around the corner so I wouldn't sweat it too much and I would hold off on major purchases to see how necrons play out then.

I have assembled three ghost arks already and I too found them very daunting. If you don't plan on magnetizing them, there is a way to assemble them in a multi-part kit prior to painting while still making usable on the table until final assembly. There are areas on the model that are near impossible to reach with a paintbrush when fully assembled. I can send you some pictures of what I did if you'd like.
    Last edited by Alsiaie; 17-02-2012 at 00:57.

Stormlord its ok, but i tested a list only with one solar pulse and i got almost the same battle results.... its only the first turn that matters to have night fight imho.

Ghost arks rocks, double lance/chrono court its awesome. even arks + 1o warriors, 30 rapid fire shots ...nice

i agree that more than one "20" warrior squad its waste, i've tested it ...20 warriors + orb + pharaeo its awesome vs shotty armies....but in HtH the stand very little chance.

my2cents

I just want to double check.... Anrakyr can use mind the machine even while in HtH right? Even though the ability is done in the shooting phase, it is not "in lieu" of shooting nor is it a shooting attack. He should still be able to draw physical line of sight while in HtH.
    Last edited by Alsiaie; 17-02-2012 at 04:26.

I would think so
    Dark Eldar Codex Guide pages 1-5
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281268

Part of the West Central Illinois Gaming Group (Quincy to be dead on) If you are in the are, hit me up and we can get a game in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJ41tABxSA- First battle report TK vs Daemons

I havent even put one together and I'm dreading it. I just put my first Annihilation barge together, and while it was kinda fun (for the first 5 minutes) it does look pretty damned good. But man, was it a pain to put together, but I guess that would go with most things that have 80 pieces on it. Painting the ghost ark won't be that hard. Once you clip the sprues, primer it right there. Or even while still on the sprues. You can then put it together and paint any missing spots afterwards by starting with a GW foundation paint and then painting on top of that. Foundation paints cover non primered areas pretty well.
    Selling all my Chaos Space Marines to reboot the army. Pics are finally going up.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...45#post7048445
    My CSM reboot
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Chapter-reborn
    My Necrons project
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Necron-Project

Question, I have my first Necron game with the new codex in 2 weeks. Or at least I should have my Triarch stalkers put together by then. But I wanted to do a last minute review of my list. What does everyone think. Main opponents are heavy on armor and include 2 BT players with lots of speeders, dreads and preds, and one SW player with Razorbacks and dreads. All 3 love to use a Crusader with a large squad inside to get that massive charge range.

Anrakyr
    3x8 Warriors
    3x Harb. of Destruction (one in each of the warrior squads)
    Harb of Despair (goes with Anrakyr and the Pyrrhian Immortals) Has VoD
    10x Pyrrhian Eternals w/ Tesla
    2x1 Triarch Stalkers
    2x Heavy Destroyers
    2x Annihilation Barges
    6x Scarabs

The troops are to keep the Harbingers alive and to hopefully offer up a juicy bone to the squads in the crusader. Anrakyr, Despair, and the Immortals go hopping looking for Targets of Opportunity. The scarabs can either be a road block, or flank on one side forcing my opponent to lose armor pieces or divert some troops to deal with them, which in turn divides their armies. If the stalkers can, they'll shoot whatever unit Anrakyr's squad is planning on shooting, or destroy any tanks nearby. The barges go after anything they can and same for the destroyers. I have enough heavy fire power units that I'm hoping my opponents wont be able to A: kill them all in the first few turns and B: give them to many targets to shoot.

Thoughts?
    Selling all my Chaos Space Marines to reboot the army. Pics are finally going up.
    My CSM reboot
    My Necrons project

Quote Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
    But man, was it a pain to put together, but I guess that would go with most things that have 80 pieces on it.
    Fun fact: Just the Warriors in the Ghost Ark kit are sixty pieces.

It's like assembling the most annoying vehicle in the world (far worse than a Monolith--once you learn the Monolith directions lie to you, at least) and then having to stop halfway through and assemble a whole box of infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
    Question, I have my first Necron game with the new codex in 2 weeks. Or at least I should have my Triarch stalkers put together by then. But I wanted to do a last minute review of my list. What does everyone think. Main opponents are heavy on armor and include 2 BT players with lots of speeders, dreads and preds, and one SW player with Razorbacks and dreads. All 3 love to use a Crusader with a large squad inside to get that massive charge range.

Anrakyr
    3x8 Warriors
    3x Harb. of Destruction (one in each of the warrior squads)
    Harb of Despair (goes with Anrakyr and the Pyrrhian Immortals) Has VoD
    10x Pyrrhian Eternals w/ Tesla
    2x1 Triarch Stalkers
    2x Heavy Destroyers
    2x Annihilation Barges
    6x Scarabs

The troops are to keep the Harbingers alive and to hopefully offer up a juicy bone to the squads in the crusader. Anrakyr, Despair, and the Immortals go hopping looking for Targets of Opportunity. The scarabs can either be a road block, or flank on one side forcing my opponent to lose armor pieces or divert some troops to deal with them, which in turn divides their armies. If the stalkers can, they'll shoot whatever unit Anrakyr's squad is planning on shooting, or destroy any tanks nearby. The barges go after anything they can and same for the destroyers. I have enough heavy fire power units that I'm hoping my opponents wont be able to A: kill them all in the first few turns and B: give them to many targets to shoot.

Thoughts?
    You could make that list work but imo you should have a solar pulse! this is a must, and then if you can jig it and find the points heavy guass cannons on the stalkers.... this gives you str9 and range! it's twin linked so chances are it will hit 89% of the time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TAU AIR CASTE View Post
    You could make that list work but imo you should have a solar pulse! this is a must, and then if you can jig it and find the points heavy guass cannons on the stalkers.... this gives you str9 and range! it's twin linked so chances are it will hit 89% of the time anyway.
    So the S9 is better than heavy 2 heavy-melta? With the HGC, you'd most likely get 1 hit every turn. But with the Melta, you have the possibility of getting 2 hits and a good chance of getting 2d6 for pen. I'd love to add a solar pulse but I have a feeling they'd cry cheese lol.
    Last edited by Draconis; 17-02-2012 at 16:13.
    My CSM reboot
    My Necrons project

I've been playtesting a worldscape list @ 1850. There's a constant challenge board that we run at our store with a large assortment of armies. It works like a pyramid which challengers challenge upwards to the top. This allows a little "cherry picking" when it comes to games. I think worldscape could work well. Even though the armies are diverse, there are plenty of AV11 spam lists to fight from space wolves, blood angels and even sisters of battle.

Overlord
    Warscythe
    Sempiternal Weave
    MSS
    Tesseract Labyrinth
    Phase Shifter
    Command Barge

Orikan the Diviner

3 Crypteks
    3 Transmogrification
    Seismic Crucible

C'Tan Shard
    Writhing Worldscape
    Lord of Fire

8 Warriors
    Ghost Ark

8 Warriors
    Ghost Ark

8 Warriors
    Ghost Ark

9 Immortals
    Tesla Carbines

Annihilation Barge

Annihilation Barge

6 Canoptek Scarabs
    (It comes to 1850 even)

I've been playing around with spare points and wargear with the overlord. One thing I am fully aware of is the lack of high AV anti-tank. I thew in a smaller squad of scarabs to try and deal with that. I hope by not taking a larger unit of them, they may not draw as much attention. I've used this list without the scarabs against a blood angel storm raven/furiouso spam list and it did so so. Gauss was able to completely shut down one storm raven, but beyond that, both my barges and gauss refused to roll 6's. The C'tan at the time was using gaze instead of lord of fire. I was running a res orb on the lord, but I swapped that for a labyrnth. Not necessarily to take out ICs but more so lesser 1 wound characters like a powerfist sanguinary priests. Removing priest in a blood angels army is incredibly important to necrons because feel no pain is well... a real pain.

I still think it's anyone's preference on the C'tan's second ability in a worldscape list. Gaze can be really good but I find it too unreliable. I've seen others use Grand Illusion, but I don't see redeployment necessary with my list since I don't use Doom Arks and don't need to form major fire lanes. Swarm of spirit dust is pretty good, but I've been running this list very aggressively meaning everything is moving forward including the C'tan. So the Stealth from swarms doesn't fit the style despite the defensive grenades. In games past, I've been moving and running the C'tan as fast as possible every turn to the enemy. I initally did this due to gaze of death, but I discovered that hiding a C'tan for the purposes of tremor staves just doesn't cut it. I really like to utilize him as a tank hunter and actually utilize his death radius. I discovered one really funny and odd situation with the C'tan and when he dies in the assault phase. I've asked several local players about it and it seems legal. If a C'tan is in HtH by himself and dies, he is removed from play. His necrodermis explodes in a d6 radius. Models that die from the explosion will take morale checks for losing 25% from the blast even in the assault phase because the unit that was fighting the C'tan is no longer locked in combat. Per the BGB a unit can take a morale check in any phase of the game in this fashion as long as they're not locked in HtH. Either way, turning a C'tan into a suicide unit has been proven fun and still effective. All of this made my decision to take lord of fire based on how I play the C'tan and due to it's potential on the challenge board.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsiaie View Post
    The C'tan at the time was using gaze instead of lord of fire. I was running a res orb on the lord, but I swapped that for a labyrnth. Not necessarily to take out ICs but more so lesser 1 wound characters like a powerfist sanguinary priests. Removing priest in a blood angels army is incredibly important to necrons because feel no pain is well... a real pain.
    Seems entirely unnecessary. You have better odds to kill the Priest by just swinging at him; why bother wasting points on a Tesseract?

That's a pretty costly Barge Lord in general.

Seems entirely unnecessary. You have better odds to kill the Priest by just swinging at him; why bother wasting points on a Tesseract?

That's a pretty costly Barge Lord in general.
    I thought about this earlier, but you've never seen my dice. In my last game it took my OL six combat rounds to kill a dreadnought in HtH. . I kept making all my saves, but I missed almost every single attack roll. This is a very common issue I've had the last six months. Swinging a scythe against a 1 wound character sounds like a better idea, but I like to be extra prepared lol. It still comes in handy against sergeants and the like. Since hes running solo, the res orb can prove redundant since reanimation protocols are often trumped by surrounding enemy models. I'm also working with models I currently own. Stripping down the OL doesn't really give me a lot of usable points (95 at most) to add an additional unit unless I took out the scarabs or a warrior/ark unit. Until the second wave hits the shelves, I'm saving my money and working with what I have. Model wise, the only other options I have to work with are a little more scarabs, lesser lords and maybe a monolith. If I wasn't using the OL as anti-tank, I'd stick him in an ark instead and use the barge as a third anihilation barge.
    Last edited by Alsiaie; 17-02-2012 at 18:04.

Chapter Master

If someone were to actually try it, I'd think an Imotekh army is absolutely the best place for it, as it gives him an effective battlefield role (by adding another Flamer) that he otherwise struggles to find, aside from sittin' in the corner watching Lightning go off. Putting a Chronometron in the unit really helps synergize things (as Imotekh needs to be near one of those whenever possible anyway) and four Abyssal Staves should still be more than enough.

In your army specifically, you could nuke the Stalkers if you wanted to give it a try (and have 60 points left over). What are you aiming for with the Stalkers anyhow? Your only Shooting in the whole list is Warriors, which isn't necessarily an overwhelming thing to go Twin-Linking.

Alternatively, you could ditch a unit of Wraiths (as the Driveby Ark would fulfill a similar purpose) which also directly benefits you by freeing up a FA slot to allow you to split your Scarabs into 5+4 (as you'd have to drop a Scarab to make it fit), which is infinitely preferable in terms of running a Farm like that. You're putting all your eggs in that one big Scarab-y basket, as is. Multiple units to build gives you a ton more flexibility and is preferable in just about every conceivable way.

As much as I like Wraiths, I'd probably never run a full 3x3 Spyder army backing only a single unit of Scarabs. Too many things can go wrong.

Edit: And while I think Imotekh's a good fit for the Driveby Ark, it's important to remember not to get yourself caught in a Tau Fireknife "I would have killed more if I fired less" scenario. If you're firing at a unit that can allocate wounds away (i.e., pretty much any Space Marines ever) and you're in a position where you expect to wipe the unit out completely, you'll want to not fire Imotekh--or use the Staff of the Destroyer instead, if they won't receive cover against it--otherwise you might end up saving a Sergeant or Meltagun with Imotekh's wounds via allocation.
    Thanks for the input. The Triarch Stalkers were essentially there to help deal with AV that was better dealt with range than assault. They need to be relatively close for thier gun to work well, so the night fighting actually works well with that. More or less they were a security blanket so that not all my anti tank was assault based.

As for the scarab farm, my play experience so far is that it is almost always better to focus on a large uber squad. Smaller squads are just too easy to wipe out. When your able to add 9 bases a turn, it makes them last, even when taking an insane amount of wounds. I would rather have the 2nd wraith squad that can bail them out of combat.

I suppose the obvious question, is if a despair court/ barge is worth giving up the 2 stalkers? I can see arguements either way. I may run the barge regardless right now, as I wouldn't have to proxy anything that way. With the 60 points left over I can give a cryptek a chronometron and time splinter cloak, or maybe a mindshackle/ warscythe lord.
    Project Tomb World: Here

Page 160 of 217 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 210 ... LastLast