Page 169 of 217 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 179 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 4324

Thread: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

Re: Tactica: 5th edition Necrons codex.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ3 View Post
    If he were a Court upgrade character, I'd almost certainly still be playing my Trazyn/Anrakyr armies, as that's a no-downside situation when it comes to Szeras' upgrade chart. When you've got 10 Pyrrhian Eternals that are already looking to Assault, rolling +1S is fine with me.
    Thats how I would use Szeras if I was going to use him at all. With Anrakyr's Pyrrhian Immortals. Doubt it would work to well in a necron foot list, as you really need the extra crytek slots. But you could run him with a core of a list looking something like:

Anrakyr

Szeras

10 Pyrrhian Immortals (tesla)
    - Attached Anrakyr
    (optional) - Necron Lord, warsythe, mindshackle, res orb

Monolith
    - To shield/teleport Immortals

Furious charge/counter attack tesla immortals with +1 strength/+1 toughness/+1 BS are pretty effective. Combined with Anrakyr and they can make a reasonable objective grabber. You could slap another necron lord into the unit if you've got points spare but its hardly essential if they have a monolith for cover.

Royal court
    - 4 lance cryteks
    - 1 chrono
    - Attached Szeras
    - Ghost ark (stolen from a troop warriors squad)

Just typical a chrono/lance court but this time with 5 lances instead of 4. A bit tougher, you might as well asign most the wounds to Szeras

And then fill out the remainder of the list with whatever takes your fancy, probably splurging out on some mech choices.

The absolute worst thing about Szeras is that those upgraded Pyrrhian Eternal lists would have the chance to be great, if they could take a Phaeron. Walk around blasting people with Gauss and then assaulting them with all that nonsense. But it's impossible, sadly.

I run into the same thing with Zahndrekh/Anrakyr a lot. Really want a Phaeron, can't get one. It's a shame that Anrakyr isn't a Phaeron--it seems as if he should be, fluffwise, aside from saying that he "abdicated." So I guess he forgot how Relentless works when he ditched. Same deal with Zahndrekh I suppose--he used to be a Phaeron, then swore loyalty to Imotekh, forgot how Relentless works.

People need to stop handing over their fancy Necron-crowns or whatever so that I can use my damned Gauss.

OK color me stupid but I thought cryteks from the same royal court can't have the same wargear?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ3 View Post
    The absolute worst thing about Szeras is that those upgraded Pyrrhian Eternal lists would have the chance to be great, if they could take a Phaeron. Walk around blasting people with Gauss and then assaulting them with all that nonsense. But it's impossible, sadly.

I run into the same thing with Zahndrekh/Anrakyr a lot. Really want a Phaeron, can't get one. It's a shame that Anrakyr isn't a Phaeron--it seems as if he should be, fluffwise, aside from saying that he "abdicated." So I guess he forgot how Relentless works when he ditched. Same deal with Zahndrekh I suppose--he used to be a Phaeron, then swore loyalty to Imotekh, forgot how Relentless works.

People need to stop handing over their fancy Necron-crowns or whatever so that I can use my damned Gauss.
    You could do it in Apocalypse I guess.

If Zahndrekh was a Phaeron, he'd be pretty overpowered.
    Last edited by Sekhmet; 03-03-2012 at 00:28.
    Maneuver to create local superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by ouch-maker View Post
    OK color me stupid but I thought cryteks from the same royal court can't have the same wargear?
    Unique wargear. They can have the same staffs. You can double up on unique wargear if you have 2 royal courts and attach them to the same unit. Check the Necron faq for full details on all the royal court shenagians.

The only unique wargear you would really want to "double up" on in a unit is seismic crucible or lightning field. You might want to run double Nightmare shroud possibly... if you face alot of Ork Nobz bikers for instance.
    Last edited by Asymmetric; 03-03-2012 at 01:02.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get my necrons a ghost ark. Took me 4,5 hours to build without the warriors inside... I'll never go full mech-crons, but one ark definitely seems like a good thing to have. The combo that really sold me the damn thing is putting a full lance court in it and staying close to a 20 warrior unit with a phaeron. Can't wait to try it.

I've been spending abit of time thinking about how to make a footcron list that just drops everything on my enemys doorstep on turn 1.

I'm considering experimenting with some hybrid Wraithwing/Immortal deepstrike list that uses practically permanent night fighting.

Overlord
    - Phaeron, warsythe, mindshackle.

Imotekh the stormlord.

10 Immortals (gauss)
    - Crytek abyssal staff, veil of darkness
    - Crytek Eldritch lance, solar pulse
    - Attached Overlord

10 Immortals (gauss)
    - Crytek abyssal staff, veil of darkness
    - Crytek aeon stave, chronometron
    - Attached Imotekh

5 Wraith
    - 2 coils

5 Wraith
    - 2 coils

5 Wraith
    - 2 coils

1,500 points.

A bit of a wierd list since it has very little real anti-tank firepower outside of gauss and random thrunderbolts ... but ... fighting 20 constantly deepstriking immortals and a mass of wraiths in pitch darkness might prove highly amusing.

Not sure of the character setup. Might be better ditching the overlord for Ankyar. Gain the Phyrrian immortals and mind in the machine, lose mind shackle and phaeron. Not sure the value of phaeron in a list like this when nightfighting is on most of the time and the unit is going to be deepstriking in rapid fire range anyway.
    Last edited by Asymmetric; 03-03-2012 at 02:04.

today in a tourny i charged into mephiston with a mindshacke lord and warscythe and neked him in 1 round! the look was priceless! an OVERLORD CAN DO WHAT?! yes he can!

Quote Originally Posted by rocdocta View Post
    today in a tourny i charged into mephiston with a mindshacke lord and warscythe and neked him in 1 round! the look was priceless! an OVERLORD CAN DO WHAT?! yes he can!
    Haha, well done! I've been wanting to give my D-Lord a run at Mephiston, but haven't run into him yet.

seriosuly, a Mshacle Olrd and an enemy super character = good time. when i found out mephiston didnt have a invul sav i made a bee line for him it gutted my oppo when his super dude was killed in one turn., plus 6 scarbs killed 2 units of marines with FNP!

seriosuly, a Mshacle Olrd and an enemy super character = good time. when i found out mephiston didnt have a invul sav i made a bee line for him it gutted my oppo when his super dude was killed in one turn., plus 6 scarbs killed 2 units of marines with FNP!
    2 MSS lords versus Meph is a good matchup but 6 scarab bases against 2 units of FNP assault marine is sooo unlikly I'd never commit to such a fight.

Of course, unless you're being buffed and you're talking about minimum size squad coming out of a busted rhino/razorback.

"You are but ephemeral whereas we are forever"
    - Imhotekh the Stormlord
    Compilation of my Necron Batrep detailing the conquest of the Sautekh Empire - The Sautekh Chronicles

2 MSS lords versus Meph is a good matchup but 6 scarab bases against 2 units of FNP assault marine is sooo unlikly I'd never commit to such a fight.

Of course, unless you're being buffed and you're talking about minimum size squad coming out of a busted rhino/razorback and only fighting them on at a time.

They strike first, 10 attacks = 3~ unsaved wounds. 5 bases net 12.5 hits, 4.16 wounds, 1.38 unsaved, 0.69 after FNP. You lose about 2 more wounds due to combat res and now the scarabs are off the charge and will quickly die off in the ensuing combat phase.
    Last edited by Infidel; 04-03-2012 at 07:33.

- Imhotekh the Stormlord
    Compilation of my Necron Batrep detailing the conquest of the Sautekh Empire - The Sautekh Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post

Of course, unless you're being buffed and you're talking about minimum size squad coming out of a busted rhino/razorback and only fighting them on at a time.

They strike first, 10 attacks = 3~ unsaved wounds. 5 bases net 12.5 hits, 4.16 wounds, 1.38 unsaved, 0.69 after FNP. You lose about 2 more wounds due to combat res and now the scarabs are off the charge and will quickly die off in the ensuing combat phase.
    well i was actually trying to hide in combat as the 1st unit was on the objective and i was trying to contest it. contest was a win or not contest was a draw. the choice was obvious. i charged and the marines lost by 3 over 2 player turns! he elected to hold and lost another 3 from fearless saves. my next turn i charged the second unit of FNP marines with 6 models. again i kill 4 and he gives me 1 wound. he fails 2 and in his turn the rout is complete! his powerfist missed everytime or failed to wound. mind you over 6 games at the tourney that was the only result that they did. They died every time without achieving anything.

But the Mshackle Lord on mephiston was hysterical. it gutted his whole game. He reread the rules 3 times. Because Mephiston had been unstoppable every other game people were cheering. Vs GKs the psyk grenades made the MS Lord sad and he popped in the turn he charged...

So today, I went to a tournament in my little area. I took 2 doomsday arks and they railed everyone. with 2 turns of night fight from solar pulse, they shot with near impunity until someone got close. they often claimed entire squads with their blasts. They wrecked vehicles and squads at the same time. I found that because of their long range, I could put them at long ranges across the board from each other and provide covering fire for each other. Why does no one else use these things? I rarely see them and after today, I aint leaving home without them.
    "Of course you fight fire with fire. You fight everything with fire!"

lesserofallevils.blogspot.com My warhammer gaming blog.

Humm, I've never used doomsday ark for the simple fact that they cost sooooo many points for a single shot weapon that isn't that great against vehicles (too much change of scatter), but I suppose they give us something that nothing else in the codex does: long range. Still not sure if I could tear myself away from 3 Annihilation barges to squeeze them in.
    Kaptin Blacksquig

Loot the World!

If your battlefields are plains they are great, but in standard games you should have plenty cover or BLOS terrain, so it will not be that wonderful everytime, even if you deploy them on the opposite corners of the battlefield.

I think the cool factor is huge on these arks, but they are not optimal in competitive builds. Maybe with WW lists, where the enemies will run out of terrain they can be more useful.

Chapter Master

I field a pair in my writhing Worldscape list. Some games they do nothing. Others they clip a unit here and there, and slowly wear them down thanks to cover saves being prevelant. Once in a rare while they will do something impressive... like wipe out a squad of terminators or plague marines, but those games are few and far between. Overall they are OK, but not really stellar. If they were Barrage, then they would be perfect.
    Project Tomb World: Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I field a pair in my writhing Worldscape list. Some games they do nothing. Others they clip a unit here and there, and slowly wear them down thanks to cover saves being prevelant. Once in a rare while they will do something impressive... like wipe out a squad of terminators or plague marines, but those games are few and far between. Overall they are OK, but not really stellar. If they were Barrage, then they would be perfect.
    +1

Or with the 6th ed leak then they get quite a bit better.

- Imhotekh the Stormlord

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetric View Post
    Unique wargear. They can have the same staffs. You can double up on unique wargear if you have 2 royal courts and attach them to the same unit. Check the Necron faq for full details on all the royal court shenagians.

The only unique wargear you would really want to "double up" on in a unit is seismic crucible or lightning field. You might want to run double Nightmare shroud possibly... if you face alot of Ork Nobz bikers for instance.
    IIRC, Lightning Field does not stack with itself. Not sure about Siesmic Cruicible. Could be wrong; but it's worded awkwardly IMO.

On to your other assumption:
    -I use double destroteks i small warrior squads as "Sniper squads" similar to the old DE ones.
    -I also use double abyssals in Deathmark squads; but double abyssals always makes more sense than a single one (just like people often buy multiple of the same special weapons.)
    -I would use double Chronometron to make a squad mega-tough. Mix that in with something like Lychguard and you improve it exponentially. If you thought 3+/4++ saves and 4+ standing up was bad; imagine rerolling the T5 3+/4++ save and/or the 4+ WBB. This is basically a poor mans Seer Council; but T5, not psychic, and good at combat. They also synergize with dispersion shields and help get extra wounds in a combat (if need be) in order to swing it one way or the other: Reroll saves if you need to prolong it; reroll wounds if you need to crush them this turn. Similarly you can give them Timesplinter cloaks and use that as your re-rolling save to damage-soak for your squad.

Quote Originally Posted by blurrymadness View Post
    IIRC, Lightning Field does not stack with itself. Not sure about Siesmic Cruicible. Could be wrong; but it's worded awkwardly IMO.
    No where does it state in either the the Necron Codex or the Necron FAQ that they do not stack. The codex does explicitly state that ether crystal does not stack but rather adds +1.

On to your other assumption:
    -I use double destroteks i small warrior squads as "Sniper squads" similar to the old DE ones.
    -I also use double abyssals in Deathmark squads; but double abyssals always makes more sense than a single one (just like people often buy multiple of the same special weapons.)
    The staffs are not unique wargear. There mandatory kit for the crytek that can be taken in mutiples within the same royal court.

-I would use double Chronometron to make a squad mega-tough. Mix that in with something like Lychguard and you improve it exponentially. If you thought 3+/4++ saves and 4+ standing up was bad; imagine rerolling the T5 3+/4++ save and/or the 4+ WBB. This is basically a poor mans Seer Council; but T5, not psychic, and good at combat. They also synergize with dispersion shields and help get extra wounds in a combat (if need be) in order to swing it one way or the other: Reroll saves if you need to prolong it; reroll wounds if you need to crush them this turn. Similarly you can give them Timesplinter cloaks and use that as your re-rolling save to damage-soak for your squad.
    I suppose you could use double Chronometrons to make an already durable squad even harder to kill, whether it is needed in the case of royal courts or lychguard is debatable.
    Last edited by Asymmetric; 05-03-2012 at 21:34.

Page 169 of 217 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 179 ... LastLast