I've decided to start a new project. I've played Blue Max & Canvas eagles for many (many) years, but I've decided to build my own collection of planes and accessories.
What is Blue Max/Canvas Eagles? Well...
It's a fun game, easy to learn, and great for a group of players. The rules are also free (at web site above.) We recently played, some photos are posted on my gaming blog.Blue Max/Canvas Eagles is a fast paced multi-player World War I (1914 - 1918) aerial combat game that is played on a hex game mat. Each game depicts a single dogfight in which each player controls a single aircraft, and attempts to shoot down as many enemy planes as possible without being shot down themselves. There is no limit to the number of players that can play in a single game.
Blue Max/Canvas Eagles is played on a hex grid game mat, with the players, using an aircrfat maneuver chart decide which maneuver their aircraft will perform on the following move. After all players have decided their moves, all the aircraft are moved simultaneously on the game mat. Players can shoot at another plane only if the enemy aircraft is within their fire arc at a maximum distance of 3 hexes. The game rules are very simple with most being contained within the game components used for game play. Referencing the rules manual is rarely necessary. After playing a few games, you can start using the campaign rules, which adds more fun to the game.
I am going with the scale my friend, who usually hosts games, uses: 1/72. The kits are fairly inexpensive, but more detailed than 1/144. I've got a few already, and more in the mail right now.
So here's my first plane assembled, a Sopwith Pup. It's an old Airfix kit. I thought I would try assembling the whole thing first, then painting. In hindsight, I should have left the pilot out and painted him separately. But this is the first plastic non-GW kit I've done since I was a kid, so I was just following the instructions.
It was a little trickier than I thought. The cross-piece for the landing gear was missing, so I used brass rod and had to guess at the length. The upper wing was a pain in the ass to attach, as all its held on with are the struts connecting to the lower wing. But it turned out OK for a first try. I need to touch up the engine cowling a bit with some filing and maybe a bit of putty.
Unlike some of the other planes, this one is probably not going to be terribly interesting to paint.
I just cracked open what may be the next plane, a Fokker DR.1. It's another Airfix, but the quality is horrible compared to the Pup. More to come as I continue...