Page 47 of 74 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Re: Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/04/...rolls-online-2

(17 SCREEN SHOTS)

Ugh, I do not like the new WoW color pallete.

Ps. looks like it's 3rd person.

Aye, the colour palette is far too vibrant compared to the relatively subtle or subdued tones of Skyrim. One could argue about the harshness of the land simply being reflected by the colours and art design, which isn't without merit, but this smacks too much of a certain Blizzard MMO. On the plus side, I can see what appears to be concept art of Valenwood, Elsweyr and a screenshot of Morrowind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether
    That's Darnok for ya: No matter what it is, he'll make it fit.

Well Skyrim is just one province, stands to reason other areas may be a bit more vibrant. But I'm a relative newcomicer to Elder Scrolls having just started with Skryim, so what do I know? I'll probably give the MMO a try.

Speaking of being a newcomer, is it worth going back and trying Oblivion or Morrowind or are they horribly outdated now?
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

It's worth it man, with a big handfull of graphics improvement mods,
    the older games look prety decent.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well Skyrim is just one province, stands to reason other areas may be a bit more vibrant. But I'm a relative newcomicer to Elder Scrolls having just started with Skryim, so what do I know? I'll probably give the MMO a try.

Speaking of being a newcomer, is it worth going back and trying Oblivion or Morrowind or are they horribly outdated now?
    As I said, that point isn't without merit nor is it mutually exclusive from reminding one of World of Warcraft.

Morrowind is worth it, Oblivion is sadly hampered by quite a lot of issues but is worth investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
    Aye, the colour palette is far too vibrant compared to the relatively subtle or subdued tones of Skyrim. One could argue about the harshness of the land simply being reflected by the colours and art design, which isn't without merit, but this smacks too much of a certain Blizzard MMO. On the plus side, I can see what appears to be concept art of Valenwood, Elsweyr and a screenshot of Morrowind.
    The images are fine. Skyrim is greyscale, but the Imperial province in Oblivion was filled with vibrant colors. Vardenfell in Morrowind tended to look washed out, but I don't see any images in that bunch that resemble the rather distinctive ecology and wildlife of the home of the dunmer.

Here's the real question for you, though. Can it really be an Elder Scrolls game without user mods that completely rewrite everything and add tons of user created content?

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Eumerin View Post
    The images are fine. Skyrim is greyscale, but the Imperial province in Oblivion was filled with vibrant colors. Vardenfell in Morrowind tended to look washed out, but I don't see any images in that bunch that resemble the rather distinctive ecology and wildlife of the home of the dunmer.

Here's the real question for you, though. Can it really be an Elder Scrolls game without user mods that completely rewrite everything and add tons of user created content?

:P
    The Imperial Province was mostly just green, really. As for Morrowind, there is an image of a settlement atop a plateau that reminded me of general Dunmer architecture - at least as represented by Cheydinhal.

There'll probably be private servers for that sort of thing.

Mmh. For now, the visuals are of little relevance. What I want to know about is the subscription kind, if I can play in 1st person, and if it's like Skyrim or yet another tab+123 game...

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

A word of warning, the skills/leveling system is a bit different, and mind-numbingly frustrating. It still uses skill-> level skill->level character, but you have to do it in an optimal way to get stat increases as you level. (each level can add 1-5 to a fairly standard array of RPG attributes. If you level your skills up wrong, you can easily only have a point or two to add, and by level 15+, you are so far behind what you should be, you will die horribly). To the point that with skills like acrobatics (which got dropped from skyrim, but was an integral part of previous games) people would really put a weight on their space bar and come back half an hour later. Leveling was a frustrating mesh of madness.
    Science without violence is...
    boring.

Trailer is out...

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/04/...official-site/

(more of a teaser trailer realy)

After 40 hours I finally visited Markarth. I got chills when I opened the door, because it was so awesome. I don't think I've ever played a game that does that other than Skyrim.

Also, because of a glitch, I needed to reload a save and lost three hours of playing time. Gah.
    Last edited by Caiphas Cain; 06-05-2012 at 02:17.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    A word of warning, the skills/leveling system is a bit different, and mind-numbingly frustrating. It still uses skill-> level skill->level character, but you have to do it in an optimal way to get stat increases as you level. (each level can add 1-5 to a fairly standard array of RPG attributes. If you level your skills up wrong, you can easily only have a point or two to add, and by level 15+, you are so far behind what you should be, you will die horribly). To the point that with skills like acrobatics (which got dropped from skyrim, but was an integral part of previous games) people would really put a weight on their space bar and come back half an hour later. Leveling was a frustrating mesh of madness.
    I didn't find it to be that big of a deal in Morrowind. It was a nuisance, but nothing more than that.

Oblivion was another matter with its stupid "everything levels up along with you" approach. Lots of players ended up making their "primary skills" (i.e. the skills that determined when you leveled) the less useful ones, and making their more commonly used skills the ones that didn't level you up. As a result, players could max out their useful skills without leveling up, meaning that they had maxed out skills for combat against level 1 enemies.

Morrowind was definitely better than Oblivion.

Just got the Ebony Blade. It's too good!

Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Skyrim (I didn't get the game for ages okay) and is it just me or is it very very very boring?
    The most fun I've ever had in a game was in Oblivions Dark Brotherhood quests. The mission were you have to kill a house full of people without them knowing its you was awesome!
    I feel Skyrims DB quests are kind of bland. So you kill an emperor, but it's just so emotionless and incredibly easy.
    Am I alone here or has any experienced similar disappointment?
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Nope thought the oblivion db quests were alot more fun too
    |\_______
    ||||>
    |/

My Nids
    Battleworlds - 20% off everything & more!!
    "Its a war game, not just top trumps." - Latro

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by ftayl5 View Post
    Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Skyrim (I didn't get the game for ages okay) and is it just me or is it very very very boring?
    The most fun I've ever had in a game was in Oblivions Dark Brotherhood quests. The mission were you have to kill a house full of people without them knowing its you was awesome!
    I feel Skyrims DB quests are kind of bland. So you kill an emperor, but it's just so emotionless and incredibly easy.
    Am I alone here or has any experienced similar disappointment?
    Both with the brotherhood and the thieves guild. The main questlines were rather tedious (and predictable). And a bit frustrating, since I signed up to be an assassin (or thief), not to drink the Extra-special Cultist Koolaid.

The DB quests, though, seemed particularly buggy. The wedding, for example, went entirely aggro (despite not being seen) and zerg rushed my entirely concealed position, but the town guards weren't informed and I just strolled by. And despite being identified (because I was forced to stand there like an idiot for the poisoning), rushing out of town for that also didn't blip the guards.

The 'random' assassinations were also just fairly lame. The early ones made little sense, and the post-questline ones were entirely stupid, simply because it spontaneously created new, nameless characters to murder. What is the fun in that?

That said, several of the random thief quests were also bugged. One thought the ledger was imbedded in the ceiling, another set the goal for a quest inside a house blocked off by the aftermath of the whiterun siege, etc.
    Science without violence is...
    boring.

I didn't mind the Thieves Guild quests actually, but the Dark Brotherhood quests were a little dull. Though I did enjoy the wedding assassination and infiltrating the ship afterwards. I never played any of the previous titles so I can't say how they werein comparison.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

Aye, the Thieves Guild questline was quite good. Sure, making you a Nightingale should probably have come much later and after more of the quests from Delvin and Vex (to those of you complaining about the lack of actual thieving and such, there are plenty of optional quests available - hell, you can break into whatever house you want and steal things), but the Nightingale suit is pretty sweet.

As for the Dark Brotherhood,
    To be honest, I can't really comment on most of the rest of the questline as I did it all very late one night before Christmas, so it's all a bit of a daze.
    Last edited by Wyrmwood; 08-05-2012 at 18:25. Reason: Spoiler tags, cheers Eumerin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
    As for the Dark Brotherhood,

A new emperor might be able to turn things around, but I have my doubts about the current one.

I agree with you lot, I liked the Dark Brotherhood more in Oblivion, and the Morag Tong (?) in Morrowind was even better! I don't like how any of the elder scroll games handle you being guild master. It feels like a hollow position. Also, the only thing you can do are unimportant miscellaneous quests after you've finished. I think it would have been cool if being guild leader made you focus a large amount of time on your guild, rather than just being another title, ect. Vendras Hlaalu, Harbinger, Thane of Whiterun, Winterhold, and Riften.

Page 47 of 74 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast