Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Remnants: a Death Guard log

Remnants: a Death Guard log

My, that's a boring title.

Hello everyone! I just got my first proper digital camera so I decided I'd get off my lazy ass and do something. But first a disclaimer:

THIS LOG WILL BE LOW ON PICS, HIGH ON RAMBLING CHATTER

That's just the way I am, I chat a lot and I don't paint often. I do model quite a bit though.

Anyway, on with the rambling, then if you're good you can have some pics.
    I'm a huge fan of the trading forum. For the past 7 years I've lived far from a local GW and have bought almost everything second hand (barring some orders from BitsAndKits), and a lot of it from Warseer. Which reminds me, I'd like to thank the following members for having sold me stuff:

Torgaddon, kris.sherriff, shaw3029, LOTRCROWN, ANotherFarseer, rev, Arkley

Not all of their stuff will be in this log (I don't intend to put a graphics card or a goddamn ton of Necromunda bulkheads in it), some will, but I've never had a bad Warseer trade

Anyway, through Second edition I had a number of armies - A Marine army, a SoB army and an Eldar force, but with the release of 3rd edition I finally got into Chaos and haven't looked back. I've only ever had one Nurgle army, but in true style it's been destroyed and reformed from the leftovers many times. The last time it was a whole army was when I leant it to a friend for a tournament...that did not end well. That was a few years ago, and I've been building things up ever since.

(told you it would be rambley, you can't complain now!)

so, over the years I've bought up interesting bits and pieces, but since I recently lost my job, and I now have a digital camera I figure it's time to actually reconstruct my force from all these remnants (see what I did there?) and put my pics online for you all to laugh at.

(Oh, another warning: every unit in my army, every model I show has a history and I WILL be telling you it. I'll pop the pictures in first if you want to see the pretties and not bother continuing).

Here we go:
    Blight Drone:

I don't like Blight Drones as models. I think the uniform look is boring and something like a Daemon engine should be horrific, you should be terrified looking at it. I got two of these things a little while back and resolved to convert them extensively, so Mr Slashy here is getting a kind of squiddy/angler fishy makeover. He's actually going to look like a vicious daemonic beast that got shackled to some armour plates and sent into battle.

He needs his missing lower left fang put back in, a couple more tentacles made and those suckers sculpted again in green stuff (they do look a bit terrible).

Not sure what to do with the rotors, not a big fan of them (hehe, Rotors -> Big Fan...)

Next up:

Land Raider Proteus #1

Bought from a non-Warseerer last week, this thing is an abomination of paint. Which is good, because it means I have no particular reluctance to convert it. Heavily. First up: it needs stripping, and some of the more retro elements need replacing before I can modernify its appearance.

Land Raider Proteus #2

This I bought from Shaw quite a while ago, and it was featured in his log. It's a beautiful thing, but unfortunately it needs a repaint to fit in with my army. It's magnetised quite a bit, and so I'd like to make use of that. Before the Proteus rules came out I was considering using it as a vindicator - these old LRs are tiny!

Dreadnought

Remember the Juggernaut craze that inflamed Warseer a few years ago? this was my WIP contribution. Could never get it quite right - plastic legs supporting a metal body doesn't work out great.

I don't even particularly want a dreadnought at the moment, but I may as well make use of what I've got.

Tomorrow I'll take some pics of the infantry I'll be using, and some more RT-era models I'll be updating for this force

Questions, comments, encouragement, abuse? Go right ahead, this is my first real log anywhere so I'll be interested in seeing how it goes.

Re: Remnants: a Death Guard log

Charax! In P&M? I am subscribed. Loved your ramblings over on the Conclave since the mid 2000s. Great idea for the blight drones. I've only ever seen them one at a time fortunately so it will be nice to see variation and the angler fish angle(...) seems to be working well.

I am quite jealous of those old school landies... must get one for my Deathwing.

With the dreadnought I love the torso. If its for chaos maybe an alternative set of legs could do the trick? something quadropedal perhaps? Thinking like a stalk tank or mini defiler.

Adam

Always nice to see another 'Claver about, especially an old-timer!

Funnily enough I was originally going to put the dread on four Sentinel legs but it came out looking bit like a horse. I do have some spare defiler bits so I might be able to rig up something with those - although my preference in Dreadnoughts is for as many close combat weapons as possible (yeah, go ahead and Fire Frenzy with your combi-bolters, see if I care!), which looks a bit odd on quads.

If you like the Raiders, wait till you see what I have coming up next. I think I might use them as Obliterator standins

Phew, didn't think I'd be able to get tonight's entry out on time, but thanks to an impromtu photo studio and some day lamps here we are:

More Dreadnoughts:

Yup, I have Chucks, I have Furies and I have Eddies. this isn't the whole set, I think I have eight of various configurations in total, mostly Chucks.

I was considering being cheeky and using them as Contemptors, but given the number I have and the size, I think they might suit being Obliterators more. They need a hell of a lot of work - not least of all being those massive Harvey Dent mold lines. I'd like to update the design too - the shoulder sockets can take tank hatches, so I might use some of those and see what I can do with the rest. Given that I like a techy look to my models, even if they're used as Obliterators I doubt I'll be sculpting any flesh onto them.

still, open to ideas!

Plague Marines:

These are some colour tests I did for my new scheme - previously I've been going for green Plague Marines, but I'm getting a little sick of green so I think I'm going to go over to white, with green for the lenses.

I do love the Forgeworld torsos. not a fan of the other components (especially the rhino-horn Terminators) but I will happily order some torsos from Bits & Kits whenever they're in stock. Doubt I'll get enough for a full army, but I should have plenty for some Chosen.

That's all for tonight, tomorrow...well, no idea. I might cobble together some legs for the Jugger.

Feel free to post with anything you like, questions especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Charax View Post
    Always nice to see another 'Claver about, especially an old-timer!
    There's a few of us lurking around...

Looks good. Interested to see what happens to those old dreads.

I may co-opt one or two for Inquisitor actually, they're roughly the right size. God I hate the stumpy legs though, they're absolutely ridiculous

Now this is one of the issues with working with older models: They're made of Lead, and Lead is soft. After a couple of decades of hard knocks, many of them start to look quite shabby

fortunately some of them aren't so shabby, or aren't made of lead - for a while GW mail order could send you any component from their entire back catalogue, and they presumably cast these up in White Metal, so a few of my Dreads are almost perfectly intact, while others have almost all the details worn away.

My solution? I'll get all my Dread bits together and make as many "good" ones as I can, then convert the rest.

Also am considering using them as Terminators instead of Obliterators

Oh fantastic.

Have run out of superglue, just placed a rather nice order with Wargames Workshop for all kinds of modelling goodies - magnets, milliput, green stuff, Liquid GS (My first time using it) so once that arrives I shall be having much fun!

Commander

Hey hey, looks like a fun project in here
    The Dreads in your third post, aren't those rouge trader warbots? I wasn't playing that far back but I have heard legends of hilarious robot malfunction tables. I think they would make for cool 'Blits or Termies. Since you have enough to make a decent Termie squad I think that might be a lot of fun to see.
    Liking what I see so far, looking forward to moar!

Somone replied who I don't actually know! woohoo!

I don't recall there being a malfunction table for the dreadnoughts. the robots had one, but they looked completely different (I wish I had Rogue Trader Robots...)

Glad you're liking the thread, things will pick up a bit when the order arrives and I can start sculpting

My order arrived! (girlfriend kept joking about my "glue shipment"!)

So, I've assembled one of my Dreadnoughts, found lots more models and completed more of the juggernaut

Turns out I dont have enough Dreadnought left arms to make lots of twin-ccw models (the configuration I intended to use for my terminators) so I think I'll have 3 as Terminators, 3 as Obliterators and two spare.

Pics tomorrow. Hopefully I'll start making some fangs in milliput for the Blight Drones

Sent from my Dataslate using Voodoo Space Magic

Liking the look so far, and I'm always up for some more Death Guard/Nurgle goodness....
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoSkoll View Post
    I think a revelation of that magnitude requires a "DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!" to go with it.

Whats so funny about glue shipments? I am receiving jokes about "tiny or SMALL tanks" (I am doing quite a lot of armor in 1:285).

Ah, btw: keep posting!

Keep intending to update but things are a bit hectic at the moment. Still, Im making some progress:

- A couple more trades/orders have finished, leaving me with lots of useful bits

- the Blight Drone is getting some attention

- I'm experimenting with the modelling possibilities presented by Liquid GS. Things look promising.

- I had previously underestimated how terrible my painting is.

Will kick myself into posting pics tomorrow, today I'm visiting my mother in hospital.

Oh, and I've started work on a Daemon Prince. Just need to scrounge up a 54mm Power Armour helmet

I have no idea how I got a rating so high and so many views with so little content, thanks a lot people!

Will try to live up to it

Loving so much the quad-exhausted dreadnought! And the eye of the blight drone is brilliant, very nice idea, I was just wondering how to convert one.

If I can suggest you, use the rt-dreads as obliterators

I think I will for the ones that are really messed up (a LOT of detail is missing on some of them). That way I can sculpt some daemonflesh on, stick on a bunch of old weapons and they won't look so bad

I really, really need to stop saying I'll post pics.

Here's the deal - I took the pics, but they're awful. TERRIBLE, and I can't blame the camera:

Daemon Prince:

This is not actually how I wanted to make my DP, but I've had that netheraxe sitting around for ages and it should get some use

Base model is Artemis from the Inquisitor range with some minor work done. I've filed down a lot of the shoulderpad detail and I think I'll take a bit more off and try to smooth it down with Liquid Green Stuff to give me a blank area to work on. I've taken the same Deathwatch arm and reversed it to make the right arm, I'm just looking around to see if I have a spare hand for it - I'd rather not chop up my one remaining pristine Artemis bolter.

Backpack's the normal Artemis backpack with the vents cut off and filed down. there's a Zinge Industries small resin fan (FL1) on the back of the backpack and I'm starting to build up a servo-harness (A large, daemonic servo-harness)

I actually had a different plan in place for my daemon prince, but as I'm working off scraps it couldn't come to fruition: The servo-harness was to be made with a Defiler Helljack body, reversed so the vents face upwards. from there would be thin, wire-like mechadendrites made from wrapped power cables so it will resemble Techmarine Arius:

Isn't he pretty? the idea of a steampunk techmarine appeals to me, and I've saved up all the spikes and stacks from the Blight Drones to add to the impression.

But, alas I've been unable to find any UK sellers of warmachine bits, and even if I could, plastic bonejack parts are a rarity. Oh well, if I do come across one, the backpack's easy enough to remove!

The head is another...issue. GW released some 54mm helmets for Artemis a few years back but getting them nowadays is like pulling hen's teeth, and I think I gave mine away when they were..less rare. Oh well, I'll do what I can.

You're wondering why I want a techmarine daemon prince? It all makes sense in context

Party Bard/Party Hard inq.serge's Avatar

Nice, I always wanted to see log by you Charax.

Keep it up or something something...

Minor update & news

1) Just seen This plog on Dakka which takes crappy old Contemptors and makes them look *amazing*. Seriously considering shamelessly copying that, because a lot of mine are absolutely unrecoverable

2) I've had some ideas for Chosen inspired by the 6th ed leak, but seeing as 1) it's not confirmed and 2) it's 6 months off I've decided it's not woth waiting before I continue. If I make bad choices in wargear I'll just tear the models apart and start over

3) I just got a Nurgle Forgeworld dreadnought in the post I ordered from China
    I'm well aware I now have far too many Dreadnoughts, but they're so cool! even if the rules are kinda bad right now...

Also it's my birthday on Friday. Just throwing that out there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast