So as a Space Wolf player I hear a lot of gripes. Grey Hunters are the best troop choice in the game, the Rune Priest is so broken, Thunderwolves are way too good, etc. etc. I've personally found these criticisms to be by and large baseless, but nowadays it bothers me quite a bit more. Because, you see, I still see these complaints all the time, but the landscape of the game is quite different and I'm a bit bothered by it. Because one thing seems very clear to me as the true unstoppable juggernaut of the game right now...

The Grey Knights codex.

Now, I'm not usually one to complain. I run a club and our attitude there is bring whatever you like; we really don't care about lists or codexes, and we really don't care if an army is underpowered or overpowered. Our club exists because we are made up of people who are tired of that crap and just want to play. But I have to wonder why I don't see more discussion of this book as unbalanced or broken, or shifting the game horribly.

It is readily apparent from the local tourney and club scene that this army is prolific: it is easy to collect, stupidly easy to paint if you are a minimalist, and well...it seems stupidly easy to use, too.

I am trying to figure out if anyone despises this army as much as I do. I think it is much more terrible than anything else in the game; and by terrible I mean, game-changingly too good. IG came along and the meta changed to heavy anti tank being critical, but it's still plausible to deal with them; how the hell do you deal with Grey Knights?

I recently tangled with a Draigo/Paladin combo unit. The person controlling them was great and we had a great doubles game. But I threw thirty Grey Hunters' full shooting and assault into that unit, along with a Wolf Lord and a Wolf Priest giving the Lord and 10x Hunters a re-roll. I barely scratched them. Just a handful of psycannons can mangle any light vehicles in your army. And the psyfleman dreadnought? That thing is insane. The Dreadnknight is also the best monstrous creature in the game by far right now, as well as one of the cheapest. Strength 6 Heavy Bolters and Strength 7 assault cannons across the whole army, too. Really, why was that even necessary? About as necessary as having the ability to make random units scoring. I appreciate that they have their own flavor but that flavor seems to revolve around being by far better than everything else in the game at every turn.

I realize that with 6th coming next year the changes to the turn structure will balance this out, by why on earth put out this army now when it is going to mangle the meta game instead of waiting, if that's the case? It still would've sold like nobody's business.

I don't know. I don't usually ever feel this way, I'm typically all for any changes to the game and all. But these guys, it seems like they can really be disheartening to fight against. I have one of the best armies in the game, too; I can only imagine how this must feel for some player using a less powerful army.

I just feel every time I see it that this was an army made for the worst kind of folks in the game -- WAAC players with no interest in background or painting or anything, just superior numbers. I dunno, I just don't get how anyone can complain about anything ELSE in this game when Grey Knights are so much more obviously off the charts. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way. I don't know. The army just leaves a bad taste in my mouth after facing it sometimes, you know? It's not that I can't beat it, either; it's just more like the army seems designed to take that very one thing that is sacred in gaming, the mutual unspoken goal of two people having fun, and completely replaces that with this competitive ugly version instead.