Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Hi all!

I know I make slow progress, but with the Imperial Fists a handful of models from completion (it's only taken me an entire edition of the game) and the Night Lords being conversion intensive (as well as awaiting a new Codex) I thought it was time to begin my third and hopefully last army.*

My Imperial Fists are yellow... my Night Lords are blue... what's left but red?

Saim-Hann Eldar!

The Eldar have always been dear to my heart, being the first army I ever played and having had an army in place for all the editions since 2nd, I thought it time I gave them the benefit of my greatly improving painting skills.

For starters - here's my previous stuff. Biel-Tan. As you can see, I have the Aspect Warriors down in terms of units, including my favourite Banshees! (The third edition 'anime' ones)

Unfortunately they're painted like this:

Which is far, far below my current standards. With that in mind, they've all gone in some Simple Green and had a good scrubbing, so now it's all fresh. I do have some of the Shadow Spectres on their way for Christmas (including the Phoenix Lord) and one of these ready for paint...

I've also got some Rangers awaiting some paint but before I start on them, the big question is - what colour do I paint their cloaks? Something dark-ish and urban, but nice and contrasty with the dark red and white helmets...

Here's hoping for new jetbikes soon...

*Last in the sense that these are the three armies I intend to keep/update. Anything else must be ignored. Except maybe Grey Knights for allies in Apoc.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 09-04-2017 at 01:03.

Commander

Re: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Your logs are always a pleasure to read. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes!

For the Ranger cloaks, what about urban camo in different shades of grey? It would look contrasting while preserving the red (unlike, say, green), and give some shorthand to the Rangers's sneaksyness.
    My blog, mostly about films...

An alternate name for Flesh Hounds? Khornedogs!

My Eldar are increasingly colourful every time I paint a new unit. It got to the stage where my Rangers/Pathfinders had bright pink armour and bright yellow cloaks. Masters of Camoflauge, eh?
    Hopefully we will be seeing a potential Eldar Update for Sixth Ed not long after release Hopefully with those amazing Jes Goodwin Jetbikes he modelled a couple years back. Best of luck with the Repainting.

Well, with some time on my hands due to the Holidays (I know, right?!) and my interest in 40k being piqued hardcore thanks to my friend and I playing egregious amounts of Space Marine over XBL, I took some time to do a test Pathfinder. Apologies for the poor iPhone grainy photo, I just took a quick snap. The SLR gets saved for finished products.

I ended up doing a dark grey for the cloth areas, as I figured it was most appropriate for the urban table I will eventually create. (House purchase fell through, so now it's back to waiting) Camo frightened me as it's rare to see it pulled off well and... I'm just not that good. If there was a good digital camo painting technique, maybe, but right now I like the simple look, it fits the "independent" nature of the Pathfinders quite well, with the hints of red tying them back to the Craftworld.

The cloak is Adeptus Battlegrey with a heavy Badab Black Wash and the gloves and leggings are Codex Grey with the same. The red is Blood Red, Badab Black, Highlight of Blood Red, Baal Red Wash and then another Blood Red highlight. I'm rather pleased with how he's turning out. Gems will be green, as will eyes and lenses. I'll highlight him this weekend and see how I like him. I'm satisfied. My painting has come a long way since my previous Eldar army and I'm excited to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:37.

The grey cloak works. Kudos. I also like how the leggings are a different shade of grey, while being consistent within the figure itself. Shades of grey always manage to look sneaky, and so does this guy (the bright white helmet takes away from this, but ah well).

Will the gun remain black?

Thanks for the kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous Loon View Post
    Will the gun remain black?
    I'm not sure about this one. Part of me says it should be, to stick with the stealthy theme of the model (the white helmet obviously would normally be under a cloak, after all) but part of me says it should be a blue-ish colour.

Currently, it's black and highlighted. I'm still not sure what colour to paint the guns overall! Official colour is blue-ish grey -

But black looks nice and contrasty too.

Note that neither of those are my own painting!

great to see you back, a great start to another one of your amazing threads, cant wait to see what you do with these.. just promise not to forget about your fists!
    FOR THE GLORY OF DORN, AND THE GLORY OF TERRA!
    GEARHART
    Imperial fists apocalypse log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312080
    facebook if interested:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000074234592
    photobucket http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k520/GEARHART21/

And lo, was there a Ranger and a Shadow Spectre.

I stuck with the black gun. It looked more stealthy, I enjoy it. Thoughts? (Also, I've since corrected the weird downward slant of the rifle)

Getting this guy in focus is a pain... Stupid long gun. I went with a dark grey-almost black and white helmet after re-reading the description on the FW Website:

Their ghostly countenance, ability to move rapidly and silently, and focus on combat at extreme ranges suggest that they represent the inevitable, infinite reach of death.
    While many of the paint schemes out there make them ghostly and light, I decided to go with something more representational of the Grim Reaper, while this is normally reserved for Dark Reapers. I felt they're a much more visceral, direct version of the Grim Reaper, rather than the 'ghost of Christmas-Yet-to-come' look my Shadow Spectres will have. The red tabard ties him to Saim-Hann, he'll have a couple more white streamers added towards the end, I'll do them all at once.

I did spend a lot of time deciding on the colour for the prism cannon. I decided on Codex grey with an Astronomicon Grey highlight.

Opening it up for critique!
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:39.

The red tabard and blue-grey crystals break the monotony.

The black gun works, too, especially with the green gems. So far, so good.

I like your aproach to your new army. I´ll be following this thread for inspiration for my own eldar.

I love the Shadow Spectre. It looks fantastic and extremely smooth. I like the color choice and the way the robes stand out so vividly. I think you made the right color choice for the gun and armor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blåbrun View Post
    I like your aproach to your new army. I´ll be following this thread for inspiration for my own eldar.
    Thanks, I always use others' stuff as my own inspiration, but I never seem to get truly used to people using mine as it. Thanks again, it means a lot.

The red tabard and blue-grey crystals break the monotony.
    Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to make the Phoenix Lord stand out from them... Phoenix Lords usually having more "out there" color schemes after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    I love the Shadow Spectre. It looks fantastic and extremely smooth. I like the color choice and the way the robes stand out so vividly. I think you made the right color choice for the gun and armor as well.
    Thanks! I'm working on another one and just ordered the Exarch head and weapon/arm from eBay as one of the normal arms has disappeared... Somewhere. >_>

Thanks again guys!

Both ranger and shadow spectre look ace. Nice work!
    Are you in Tokyo? If so, PM me. I'm looking for more gamers!
    Project Logs:
    Dark Eldar (ongoing) and Skaven (dead) and Digital Wastrel, my blog.

Phoenix Lords: Keep the accent colours (white and red), but change the pattern. Paint the helmets white with red trim and a white-on-red diamond pattern on tabards and suchlike. Maybe give them more of the greyish colour (which fits really well with your colourscheme, by the way).

(which fits really well with your colourscheme, by the way).
    Thanks! Now I just have to paint an actual fully red Guardian. >_> If only I had a spare unpainted one kicking around...

Well, I've done another Ranger, who's nothing really to write home about and switched off to another Ranger. The reason he gets some special attention is that he's got a large bald head, which is something new for me.

I'm also really pleased with his single eye. I'm not quite so afraid of doing unhelmed Eldar heads now. I did a decent job on my Space Marine Scouts and Lysander but I'm really pleased with how this turned out for a paler skin tone.

Dheneb Stone base and then a mixed soapy-water and Ogryn Flesh wash over the whole face, then another highlight of Dheneb Stone and a straight Ogryn flesh highlight into the distinct recesses.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 09-04-2017 at 01:03.

Wearing bright red, he somehow manages to look sneaky. Good job.

really like the rangers, probably some of my favourite eldar minis, i went for something similair with my Ulthwe rangers and did a mid grey, just using one colour for the cloaks always puts me in mind of LOTR and the blending in ability of the Elvish cloaks

Wearing bright red, he somehow manages to look sneaky. Good job.
    Thanks! I imagine he'd cover up if he really wanted to hide though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbatron View Post
    really like the rangers, probably some of my favourite eldar minis, i went for something similair with my Ulthwe rangers and did a mid grey, just using one colour for the cloaks always puts me in mind of LOTR and the blending in ability of the Elvish cloaks
    Thanks!

Hadn't thought of that! I was actually watching LOTR this weekend (Extended Blu-Ray baby!) and noticed how much Faramir's Rangers influenced the physical design of the current Eldar Rangers - Bracers, leggings and a different chest piece to the rest of the model etc.

Well the parts for the Shadow Spectres Exarch came, just a head, arm and gun, I've decided to keep him a bit lower key, plus one of the regular Shadow Spectre arms went missing somewhere... So this was as good an excuse as any.

Now you guys get to pick the pose!

Pose 1:

Pose 2:

Pose 3:

Weird thing - FW sells the Shadow Spectres as a unit of 5, the unit size is 3-5 and the Exarch as a single model, so you end up with a totally spare Aspect Warrior. I figure I come out ahead.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:40.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast