Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Re: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Now you guys get to pick the pose!

Pose 3:

Weird thing - FW sells the Shadow Spectres as a unit of 5, the unit size is 3-5 and the Exarch as a single model, so you end up with a totally spare Aspect Warrior. I figure I come out ahead.
    My vote is for pose #3 as it is hyper aggressive.

As a side note, in IA:11 you'll notice the squad size has been changed to 3-6 (and with the way the guns stack if you intend to use them as Spectres you'll want a full squad as it's the only way to hit str 10).

Banned

The Unit-size is 3-6 accordingly to IA11, isn't it? But imo 3-5 by selling 5 per bag is the more logical thing - now you might want to field 6 normal Spectres without an Exarch and you actually need 2 bags to be able to do that.

Pose #3 though is awesome, the others are... medium. Really, #3 is really great. GW should start thinking of these kind of dynamic poses instead of the weird ones they mostly offer (Harlequins... oh really?). Yea, you can build such poses yourself - sometimes - but less often than you can't.
    Last edited by Hendarion; 19-01-2012 at 08:31.

Chaplain

I think 2 is going to mark him out better as an Exarch. Plus its the most dynamic.

I'd say 3 if you had to pick between them but I would try for something a bit more commanding or with intent to kill.

The first two poses strike me as being very American Football. Pose 1 is "QB about to Pass," and Pose 2 is "QB decided to run with it." By complete contrast pose 3 conjures up visions of competitive figure skating...

Great looking rangers by the way!

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Thanks all!

Looks like the Number 3's have it.

Quick update:

I grabbed some Army Painter Pure Red spray to do some Guardians with. Managed to find the old 'battle-squad' boxes NIB for $20 on eBay!

On the left is one hand coated in Blood Red, on the right is the Pure Red.

The Pure Red is a little bit brighter, just a shade, but they're close enough to where after a Badab Black wash, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6824920515_94ec28d07a_z.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	131561  
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:42.

Scout

This comparison is very interesting. Can you make some other shots after the Badab Black wash???

Quote Originally Posted by tundra View Post
    This comparison is very interesting. Can you make some other shots after the Badab Black wash???
    Good call. They're as near as makes no difference as far as I can tell. (Ignore the arm on the guy on the right, I missed that)

During experimental highlighting, I have found that a second wash of Baal Red works really well to make the red pop a lot more. There's certainly a colour difference between plastics with the Blood Red/Badab Black formula and the Finecast Rangers, I'm definitely happy with the result and it bodes well for jetbikes and vehicles, though I'd much rather find a paint that was that tone already, than worry about washing such massive flat areas...
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:42.

That's pretty awesome. I used Dragon Red by Army Painter for my Fire Dragons. I use Skeleton Bone by them for my Craftworlders which make my tanks a doddle. I now have 23 Grav Tanks for my Craftworld Warhost. Admittedly, with the wash process, the tanks are more dappled but that's part of their character. It'd probably be a lot harder to get a smooth colouring through washes or inks without an airbrush though.

Saying all of that, the Guardians look great in your experiment! Can't wait to see more.

Here we go! Took a good few hours to get him to where I'm happy with the test Guardian. I am... super happy with him, not super happy with the standard of having to make all of my Guardians look... like this. Le sigh.

The red is:

Army Painter Pure Red Spray
    Badab Black Wash
    Blood Red/Baal Red mix Highlights
    Baal Red Wash
    Straight Blood Red highlight

Very pleased with how he turned out, very pleased.

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 09-04-2017 at 01:05.

The guardian looks great. Personally , I think a black face mask (as on previous pictures) would look even better but that's me. Cheers
    My logs:
    Craftworld Amarna - Eldar
    Scions of Perturabo - Iron Warriors

I think he looks fantastic! Well worth the work!

Good job, using red, green and white without making him into a Christmas Guardian.

How about some black face markings? A rune on the forehead, that kind of stuff.
    My blog, mostly about films...

An alternate name for Flesh Hounds? Khornedogs!

Thanks for the kind words guys - I really am happy with the result, just not happy with the amount of effort that's going to go into doing a single squad... I'll be mixing some red face-plates, as well as some black and grey ones into the mix (one of my Rangers has a red face plate) as well as runes denoting squads. My only concern about doing so is that it will spoil the solid white look of the helmets, the included transfers within the Eldar transfer sheet are a bit big for my taste.

I'll probably be printing my own transfers anyway (I have a vector PNG of the Saim-Hann Serpent, which I'll be twisting and moving into differing serpents for the tanks and jetbikes) so small squad icons shouldn't be an issue. Just need to get the right icons!

Banned

I think the pure white helmet is just fine. It fits the design and is well executed.

A brief update!

I finished the other test Guardian. Can you tell which had an original hand-coat of Blood Red and who got blasted with the Army Painter Dragon Red? Honest thought please! (I still need to highlight the one on the left's Shuriken Catapult)

Side note - There's a marked increase in the quality and detail on kits designed in 1999 versus today. The details on the old Eldar faces are quite shallow and lacking compared to the faces of today. I may be seeking out some WFB Elf heads instead, as they may be easier to paint. Went through three of these to even get one I was satisfied with for a line-level model! Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 20:43.

I can't see which one is sprayed. But the white on that helmet looks really nice!

I'm not entirely sold on the bases, though. Just wading through grey macadam gravel won't do these guys justice.
    "I must say, I've fallen in love with the musical genre. It's the art form of the common man. If you want to communicate something with the proletariat, cover it in sequins and make it sing. It's noisy, vulgar and utterly meaningless. I love it."
    -Darren Nichols, Slings & Arrows, Season 3

They look fantastic! I can't tell which is which and I used Dragon Red primer! Love, love, love the white faceplate!

The Untainted Warp, watching over The Rock
    I'll probably be printing my own transfers anyway (I have a vector PNG of the Saim-Hann Serpent, which I'll be twisting and moving into differing serpents for the tanks and jetbikes) so small squad icons shouldn't be an issue. Just need to get the right icons!
    hmmm I wonder if you could make the twin helix saim-hann rune? A sheet of those transfers were included in the wild riders of saim-hann five jetbike boxed set from 2nd edition. They were never printed again but I always thought that was the best rendition of the cosmic serpent rune.

:skull: "Repent today, for tomorrow you die." :chrome:
    Dark Angels Project Log

Can you tell which had an original hand-coat of Blood Red and who got blasted with the Army Painter Dragon Red? Honest thought please!
    Based on the slightly rougher looking texture of the Guardian on the right I'd say that's the one that got the spray. Colourwise I can't tell though.
    I really like the red you've used though! Nice and solid colour.
    Ave applicator paintoris!

I paint some Horus Heresy stuff.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast