Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Re: Engel's Eldar - Primary Color Army No.3

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    This is what I get for not playing in 6 years. Ah, so neither of us were right! That said, If I pay the points, they're rending ponies if I want. This isn't chainsword vs powersword confusion here. Given the similarity in the weapons themselves, I'd be surprised if someone actually complained as long as I paid the points.

I actually removed the pulse laser bit and replaced them with bright lances from one of the other millions of Eldar sprues I have lying around. The size appears almost identical, due to the weird varying sizes they use across the board. I did keep the targeting scope on the bottom, because the Hornet appears rather impractical as a gun platform without it.

Anyway, I became fascinated by this disconnect in what's what, because we've ALWAYS had bright lances in areas that I've played in, from Dallas, to Leicester, to Fayetteville, and back. So I wondered what was up.

I'm going to break out my old Eldar books.

Diving a bit further back - In the 2nd Edition Eldar Codex, neither Pulse Lasers, nor Bright Lances make an appearance. The weapon that now looks like both is referred to as a lascannon. It's weird because it has the targeting thingy, but on top. Now, the Falcon didn't exist at the time of publication of the original Eldar Codex. It was released with rules in White Dwarf some time later. (White Dwarf #216 "Eldar Falcon, Realm of Chaos, Wings of Darkness") which I don't have access to, so I can't comment. It's possible this is where the pulse laser first appeared, since it first shows up in my stuff in the 3rd Edition codex.
    Waaay back in the days of Second Ed., weapons were often allowed across many factions, so the Eldar for example, had lascannons, the same as the Imperium did, except the Elder ones might have had a better BS; and Orks, for example, got multi-meltas, which is what the weapon on the plastic warbuggy was in the old rules, if I recall - it only became a Skorcha in Third Ed......

Veteran Sergeant Elbows of Death's Avatar

Yep, and if I'm honest...it made quite a bit more sense. While the weapons may have been different in some instances, it made sense for a lot of races to share the same stat-lines. The Starcannon was simply a Heavy Plasma Gun, etc. Certain races had bonuses/benefits for certain weapons. If you go far back enough you had Space Marines carrying Shuriken Catapults etc.

So, what's next for the army?

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Well, it has been some time hasn't it?

Just a WIP on my first Saim-Hann Warlock. I had an accident with the red spray and have scrubbed off as much as I can, but you can still see some of the texture. I'm still okay with this as a progress piece. I'm happy with the blending on the robes, which was the main goal.

I'm going to be working with a lot of metal models and you know what? Metal kind of sucks in hindsight. We thought it was good, and it was better than the same models with resin in the moulds instead, but... Urgh.

Looks good! The texture isn't too noticeable and I really like the deep red you've got, the blending is looking good. I know what you mean about metal models, I much prefer a good plastic kit these days [never touched resin really- hideously fragile to my clumsy hands..]. I still love the design of the old warlocks and I have ton of Jes' old eldar metal models but I would kill [not literally !] for a plastic warlock set like the Thousand Sons Sorcerer box.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Thanks Stu!

Yeah the metal sword doesn't have near the crispness of say, Eldrad's, or the Skyrunner Warlock, or any of the plastic Witchblades. It's actually a pain to highlight well.

I think for witchblades, Kantor Blue, Celdor Sky, Lothern Blue, and Asurmen Blue blending between them (with Lothern highlights on the edges) works for my witchblades. Adding the runes from the Forge World Eldar decal sheet helps a lot I think. Unfortunately Forge World isn't making them anymore and have said they don't plan to.

Engel,

The Saim-Hann Warlock is coming along.

You could always look for the Forge World Eldar decal sheet on the trading forum.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

It's time for some Warlocks... And a Bonesinger.

I'm still pleased with the conversion on the Warlock with the singing spear. Been a long time since I've done it, but I still like how it turned out. He'll be going with the Defender Guardians.

Interesting conversion of the Warlock to give him a Singing Spear.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    Interesting conversion of the Warlock to give him a Singing Spear.
    Yeah I wanted something different for him for... Some reason. Again, it's been almost ten years since I did the conversion. Just gotta roll with it!

I've finished the two Warlocks (pics to come soon) and given the one with a Witchblade a more modern Shuriken pistol.

I've also been working on the Bonesinger which... Good lord, I know I've said this before, but metal is such a pain to paint compared to plastic or resin.

I'm reasonably pleased with the white, and the red is okay. I'm liking where he's going. Black armour underneath, white gloves, white robes, and a red coat over the top. The grey to white gradient on the robes is much subtler IRL, but the camera makes it a bit harsh. Final DSLR pics will look much better.

I'm planning on masking him off and airbrushing the wraithbone a nice bright bone too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    I've also been working on the Bonesinger which... Good lord, I know I've said this before, but metal is such a pain to paint compared to plastic or resin.
    I have never experienced a difference between painting metal versus plastic...as I am painting on the primer coat so it is the same. I have experienced some minor issues with resin, but that is because the actual material that the primer goat sits on can be pliable with some batches of resin...leading to cracks later in the process. I guess if you get a lead model it can have similar issues for thin extensions that might bend.

My two cents,

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    I have never experienced a difference between painting metal versus plastic...as I am painting on the primer coat so it is the same. I have experienced some minor issues with resin, but that is because the actual material that the primer goat sits on can be pliable with some batches of resin...leading to cracks later in the process. I guess if you get a lead model it can have similar issues for thin extensions that might bend.
    Ah yeah, I'm more referring to... I guess the quality of the cast? The fine details on metal models, as well as sharp pointy bits, seem to be so much duller than the same parts in plastic. Compared to the plastics of the time they had better detail, but current plastics are just phenomenally detailed.

I guess we're just spoilt nowadays.

Well here we are.

I'm pretty pleased but MAN do I still have a long way to go on these guys. We've come to a weird place where my phone's camera now takes better pictures of models than my DSLR, by and large. I might invest in a macro lens but... They're pricy. Ah well. First world problems I suppose. Maybe a tripod adapter for my phone?

Anyway, WARLOCKS!

I added a more modern shuriken pistol to the chap on the right, which I'm pleased with. The grey you see on his base isn't drybrush, it's just a reflection from an unfortunate varnish accident.

See! No grey. One of my favourite Eldar models ever, but the sword was a bit of a miscast and wasn't near as crisp or uniform as I'd have liked. Still, the method for the blue Witchblades works well here.

Never did share a pic of this one done. I like it, and a good prototype.

Really pleased with the blending of the blade on this one, and the conversion overall. I think it works quite well. I also think this picture shows of the subtlety of the gold a lot better than the other two for whatever reason. Retributor Armour, dryrbush Liberator Gold, edge highlight with Mithril Silver, then wash Agrax Earthshade, with another thin highlight of Mithril Silver to taste.

Finally got this guy done. Very, very frustrating to paint overall, but I'm very happy with the result. Had to put him down and walk away to stop trying to overcorrect several times. The photos make the contrast on his white robe a bit harsher than they really are.

The back of his little flute thing broke in transit and GW told me they didn't have any replacements and it was too small to reliably fix so... He gets a short flute thingy. I'm very pleased with his red robes.

Gotta have a group shot...

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 14-01-2018 at 18:29.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7