Thread: So... I got a tablet, now what?

Chapter Master

So... I got a tablet, now what?

Peeked at my chrimbo prezzies and found a sony tablet S, so over the moon. I've been after a tablet for a while, to put wargaming rules on, surf the net whilst i'm in bed, and other tabletty things.

Which leads me to ask, what the hell else am I meant to do on it? What do you use yours for? any unexpected gems of usage?

And what else would I need to get? Think a screen protector is vital, probably a case and an adapter so I can stick usbs in will be useful. Anything I've missed?

Jack
    Browncoat. And will be forever.

Not being funny, I bloody love Mantic Games

At the heart of Craftworld Aven H'Lorra communing with the spirits therein preserved.

Re: So... I got a tablet, now what?

I have no idea! My mates just use theirs for 'everything.' Just the things you speak of.

I just wanted to say, bad form, sir, bad form. For sneaking a look at your pressies I mean. I am very disappointed in you.

My wife says you are very naughty and is equally saddened by your poor form. She also is worried that the present you have bought for the revelant person should be equally impressive.
    I am The First Autarch of Khaine. Official.

I have an HP Touchpad, loaded with Androidy goodness. My original intention was to use it as a wargaming aid (I call it the Dataslate) but it's really hard to limit it like that!

I mainly use it for:
    - watching online video (Blip.tv, youtube, the BBC iPlayer)
    - listening to digital radio through Tunein Radio
    - playing audiobooks as I sleep (ES File Explorer is a must-have, it connects to my network shares easily so I can pull anything I want from my computers to the tablet and delete them after I'm done)
    - PDF reading (an obscene amount of rulebooks, not to mention the Skyrim and Arkham City strategy Guides - very handy for not needing to alt-tab out to check a website!)
    - Web browsing, especially in bed
    - IMing/skype/facebooking
    - Remote desktop (Teamviewer works like a charm, and there are loads of other apps that do similar things
    - Remote control for Winamp - mainly use my phone for this, but I have the same app installed on the tablet just in case
    - Twitter/RSS feeds - I get a lot of my news through subscribed twitter feeds, so Tweetdeck is magnificent
    - Foruming - Tapatalk is great, especially on a tablet!
    - Gaming - not very much, I'd rather game on the PC but I have a few games installed. GTA3 has just been released on Android and it plays well on tablets

With all those applications it'd be a terrible waste to just use it for wargaming, as was my intention. Well worth the vastly inflated price I paid (200, whereas the sale price was 89)

Oh, and I have it paired with my Sony LiveView watch so I can control it from my wrist. Just Because.

As far as I know they are rather expensive toys. I guess you can watch videos on them and maybe play Mega Man 2. That's pretty cool actually.

The absolute first thing you should do, before you even actually own the thing, is post a message on an internet forum to show off about it. Since that's all tablets are actually for, I think you're covered. Job done.
    Idiots... nothing can live forever.

I got myself a smartphone a couple weeks ago, and I barely know what to do with it besides calling people (well, yesterday I played some game on it while waiting at the launderette), so tough luck on helping you making use out of a tablet

Isn't it just a large smart phone without...well, the phone?

Isn't it just a laptop with out the...laptop?

All the things that Charax says is great, a laptop can do so much better? I'm not quite sure the sudden love that the world has for a functionally limited Laptop Lite, that was made popular by Apple?
    Reason not to hate Mat Ward #62: Mat Ward used the well designed spine of the Grey Knights Codex to 'Ward' off chavs who were harassing a group of nuns]

Me neither. All I can say is that all those tourists using it as a camera look really silly But, hum, yeah, you can do that: use it as a very large and unwieldy camera, many people seem to do just that

Well I didn't have a laptop, all I had was a tower pc and I was using it for was browsing the Internet, which was just a horrible waste of electricity? I sold it and got a motorists xoom and I haven't looked back, I find it much quicker and easier to use than my cousin's laptop.

I primarily use it to consume media, if you're planning to use it like a laptop, then really its silly (imo) as a laptop is better at creating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nazguire View Post
    Isn't it just a laptop with out the...laptop?

All the things that Charax says is great, a laptop can do so much better? I'm not quite sure the sudden love that the world has for a functionally limited Laptop Lite, that was made popular by Apple?
    Well, I have a Desktop, a Laptop, a Tablet and a Smartphone, so I can perhaps offer some perspective on the different uses

The Desktop hardly ever moves, it stays where it is and gets used for the intensive tasks, like gaming and long periods of work

The Laptop's a backup desktop, I use it in situations where I cannot use my desktop, but still need the abilities of a full PC. For example, my mother's just come out of a long stretch in hospital, for the first few days she needed someone on hand constantly, so I set up the Laptop nearby and could get on with things while still being around if she needs me. The thing about Laptops is that they're portable, but only barely. They still need a power brick, they're relatively large and they need boot time, so they're not that useful when you just want to do something for a few minutes.

The Smartphone is always on hand, nearly constantly connected to the Internet and useful for off-the-cuff use. If I quickly want to look something up online while I'm outside, the phone's great. I also used to use it to catch up with foruming on my commute to work, it's basically "The internet anywhere"

Which brings me to the Tablet. Some people, after owning a Smartphone for a while tend to find that they have dozens of apps, and there are some things the phone either cannot handle or for which the screen is awkward, that's where I use the Tablet. The larger screen is better for things like web browsing and reading and the better hardware is useful when playing back video or playing music. If I'm moving around in situations where I want to be able to connect to the net, or I don't have the space for a full laptop - I use it a lot while washing up or cooking for example (my kitchen is tiny)

As with any purchase, there will be those who see the usefulness and those who do not. If you don't see the point of having one, just don't buy one

Quote Originally Posted by Nazguire View Post
    The iPad was a weird move by Apple, underfed with swollen ego, marketing millions and a legion of scarily loyal fans.

I didn't get the use of Netbooks that were all the rage a few years ago (remember all the articles about any computer larger than a netbook being vanished in three years time? ) but tablets don't even have a keyboard!

I was just wondering this myself the other day. I saw someone commuting on the bus to work that seems to use a tablet a lot, and I was wondering what it was for really. Apart from browsing the internet on the go I wasn't sure what you'd use it for, and I thought a laptop would probably do that better anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    On WarSeer, it's best if you assume that all posts are enclosed with [nerd] tags. That's how we roll (dice).

The main turnoff to me is that tablets are said to be unusable for multitasking and the fact that they are very much owned and designed by one company and your freedom of doing stuff on them seems a little restricted.

@jack da greenskin: Sorry that this thread turns out kinda negative. I'm sure you can have lots of fun with an android tablet and it's pretty useful when travelling and such.

Chapter Master

I didn't get the use of Netbooks that were all the rage a few years ago (remember all the articles about any computer larger than a netbook being vanished in three years time? ) but tablets don't even have a keyboard!
    Funny, when the tablets came on the market and everyone was getting all gooey about Ipads I went and bought a netbook, on the basis that it was the same size (alright its a bit thicker but we're still taking millimeters here!) came with the software I already knew how to use, with a proper keyboard, and all the stuff like webcams and usb ports that even some tablets lack..and it was less than half the price of even a cheap tablet.

Its been perfect...apart from the little virus related incident, but that could've happened to anybody...

BTW when posts appear with the line "sent from my Gadget3000 with the power of awesome" or whatever, are you guys actually typing that out every time or does the machine add that on itself? If the former: Stop it, you posers!

Sent from my big magical box of flashing lights, using wishful thinking and pixie dust.

Tablets are smaller, lighter, more tactile (application depending), power up quicker and have a better battery life than laptops. All these features make them excellent 'pick up and go' browsers and content readers. Smartphones are too small and have too poor a battery life to comfortably serve this purpose.

I wouldn't consider tablets as a replacement for laptops. They could be if you use a laptop in a really basic fashion, but I'd be surprised if that applies to many people on here. To me they are more like a high powered magazine & newspaper readers (that can also play videos and music) that you have in addition to a 'real' computer.

Commissar: that sig is added by the device.
    Where's the kaboom?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    Sent from my big magical box of flashing lights, using wishful thinking and pixie dust.
    Oh, I want that! I'm a sucker for pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Bombot View Post
    Commissar: that sig is added by the device.
    Not quite accurate, it's added by the Tapatalk app, although it's optional and the content can be edited.

Yes true. I delete mine. I can understand why Tapatalk want to advertise, but by adding the device name it does seem pretentious.
    Where's the kaboom?

some sort of Angry birds thats all the people i know that have one use them for
    "Bow wow wow"
    Drakon log of anything evil
    Drakon log of all that's good ...... coming soon