Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgat's terrains and paperworks

Urgat's terrains and paperworks

Up till now, I was posting my terrain stuff in my orcs and gobs plog (see sig), but I figured that since I've taken the fancy of trying and sell my stuff, I may as well do a log just for my terrain stuff.
    First of all, a freebie (attachment for the pdf):

So it's a pond, for printing. I gave up on the design, so I'm giving it away for free. Sorry if it's low def, but I'm hosting my stuff on my brother's ftp, and I don't want him to be impact because of that, so attachment it is, and attachments are limited, size-wise.

More interesting: I've made a set of streets to print. 27 spreads, all unique, with a (rather smart, if I may say so) interlocking system so they stay together:

This is what you get, lots of sections you can put together, with nice details:

As I said, the streets are interlocking, and they're perfectly seamless:

I used thin cardboard there, it's way enough.

That pic above shows only one set, as you can see, I've left a lot of sections aside, and it's still covering a very large surface.
    I gotta say I'm rather pleased with the result, but I ought to reprint them, because I tried different printer settings (hence the two hues), and because that set was done using a PDF at 75 DPI; now it's at 300 DPI, so much more crisp (though to be honest I doubt I'd see the difference if I printed them again, in fact: can't say my printer is too great...)

Here's a spread showing all the sections:

what follows is a copy/paste from my OnG plog as there's little point rephrasing all that:

I am selling the whole set €10. After silly calculations I won't share, I came up with that about 20, and decided to cut it by half because clearly I won't sell a single one at 20 euros.

Now, here's a scary link

Yeah, it's quite abrupt, it directs you right on your paypal payment page. I got no website, and no cash for a webstore.
    I'm not going to ask you to trust me, you have no reason to.
    Instead, peer at the address: it's a https, so it's secure, it's the real paypal link, etc, so that way's clear.
    Next, look at the order summary, it should say something like:
    City Streets €10,00
    Numéro d'objet : PAYLOADZ-EXPRESS-1
    (well it probably won't be in french for you, it's going to say "object number" in your language, and I have no idea what the express-1 part means, it says "item number" in my payloadz profile). You can look up what Payloadz is on the net and see for yourself if you're gonna trust them or not. Next time I'll make sure I check the "create a store page" (or something) before setting up an item though, that way I'll just have to provide the page directly on their website, and not try to convince anybody.
    Well, if one is courageous enough to buy the pdf, please testify it worked, that'd be nice. If not, well, too bad for me I guess.

Voila. It'll be interesting to see if I sell even one, I guess (edit: I sold one already, actually).

Note on printing: I assume you know what you're doing (highest settings, reasonably sturdy cardboard, no autoresize down -they fit right an a A4 sheet, deactivate everything that will add borders and so on). I'm not taking responsibility if that PDF makes your computer self-combust, your printer ignites and takes off through your window, make your copy of windows force-format your hard drive, or any technical problem that may arise. I mean, it's just a PDF, and it's been checked for viruses.

note on why: I have plans for cooler stuff than streets (well, more than just plans...), and for that, I need pepakura high res, because I'm stuck to one ****** 1024*768 map with the normal pepakura 3, and you won't get the maps backed from my leet 3D skills (yep, the thing above is the "I can manage that" version of this). It'll cost me $90. So I'm selling the stuff I did to be able to do more stuff. Simple as.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Urgat; 14-11-2012 at 07:39.

Re: Urgat's terrains and paperworks

Next project is this:

There won't be as many sections as the streets (there's just no need), just a few straight sections, a few gentle curves, and a few crossings. I'll also put a couple forks for completeness sake, though I'm not sure they're really needed. I'll also thrown in a section incorporating a bridge that will be compatible with my streets. Hopefully, some sections will have raised up edges, and a few jutting rocks probably, but that'll require I get Pepakura 3 High Res.
    Last edited by Urgat; 14-11-2012 at 07:40.

*subscribes*

As I said in your other thread, I'm sure to buy at least one set of streets and one of the river ... and those glimpses of hills are tempting too ...

I've been searching for a long time for quality cardboard terrain ... I know it will be limited by my printer, but my skills as a terrain maker are rather limited ... I can follow directions tough
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 28/07/2015** Master List updated !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 19/12/2016 ** Updated

I actually think this is pretty cool looking. Next time I have a little space in my ' gamers' budget I'll seriously consider this. Good stuff

Thanks for the pond! I love paper terrain and free samples are always good. My only criticism is that I love the long grass around the edges, but it doesn't cut well (leaves traces of white between the blades). Extending the underlying green would keep the blades of grass intact for cutting and look boss. I also love the preview of the 3D rock. I may pick that up if the price is right.

The only thing I can say about selling paper terrain is keep it relatively cheap. At the end of the day it is still only paper, even if it is pretty. Your stuff is great but compared to stuff like Worldworks, the price for your streets seems steep. They sell huge sets for less and they are about the same/better quality. You will find more buyers if you set it low-ish and make up the difference on volume.

That said, keep it up! I love what you've done so far and I want to see more!
    I have laid waste to my foes, burned their flesh to ash and pounded their bones to dust. Now my work can begin.

I have joined the ranks of those who have a hobby blog http://deepdarkdungeons.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thalenchar View Post
    I actually think this is pretty cool looking. Next time I have a little space in my ' gamers' budget I'll seriously consider this. Good stuff
    I'm glad you like them I'll try and do the river set as fast as possible, but, well, with the hollidays and stuff, don't hold your breath for a january release.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcryst View Post
    *subscribes*

As I said in your other thread, I'm sure to buy at least one set of streets and one of the river ... and those glimpses of hills are tempting too ...

I've been searching for a long time for quality cardboard terrain ... I know it will be limited by my printer, but my skills as a terrain maker are rather limited ... I can follow directions tough
    Directions, yes. That's going to be the tricky part about the later models, making a direction sheet

Quote Originally Posted by ImhotepMagi View Post
    Thanks for the pond! I love paper terrain and free samples are always good.
    Well, you're welcome
    My only criticism is that I love the long grass around the edges, but it doesn't cut well (leaves traces of white between the blades). Extending the underlying green would keep the blades of grass intact for cutting and look boss.
    Keep in mind it's basically a scrapped project, so it's nowhere near perfect. Regarding the green edge, it was just an helper, if I had kept on with that pond concept, it wouldn't appear at all. I suggest you just cut in the grass. I'm not going to make any of my grass borders to be cut as "jiggsaws". First because it's horrible for the wrist and would take ages, and because those strands of grass would be ruined in a matter of minutes of play or even storage. I will try and have the flow of the grass go "inward" so it's clean, but no chirurgical cut. It'd be easier for me to just leave them like that and let the people cut around, but the result would be terrible, and I don't think that'd be a plus for me.

I also love the preview of the 3D rock. I may pick that up if the price is right.
    It will be 1.50 euros I think, but that's not for anytime soon. I've made a smaller scale prototype though, it's an ugly duck alright (see attachment), but it's taught me many things already.

The only thing I can say about selling paper terrain is keep it relatively cheap. At the end of the day it is still only paper, even if it is pretty. Your stuff is great but compared to stuff like Worldworks, the price for your streets seems steep. They sell huge sets for less and they are about the same/better quality. You will find more buyers if you set it low-ish and make up the difference on volume.
    The streets are going to be the most expensive of the stuff I plan, because they took me litterally months to create, and I did buy the Adobe suite to make them legally, w/o the backing of a company. Worldworks stuff is great (I own their castle, and it's awesome), but they don't have streets as good as mine (allow me at least that much . Well the Streets of Malifaux are nice, and got levels... you don't print them though, you buy them, it's 49USD -plus 18 USD coz you need to buy the connecting thingies which are not provided- and you want more, you have to buy again. Not the same kind of product, in short). I'm mostly selling those because photoshop and co dug a huge hole in my wallet, and I'll need to invest in more programs later to make more elaborate things. I don't expect to sell more than a dozen pdf a year, to be quite honest. I wasn't even sure I'd sell a single one, in fact
    Anyway, I can tell you already, nothing will cost more than 10 euros, and those will be rare. The other thing I have in mind that will be 10 euros too is a full fledged manor, a complicated thing. The rivers will be two or three euros.

That said, keep it up! I love what you've done so far and I want to see more!
    I plan to
    Last edited by Urgat; 24-12-2011 at 16:52.

Chapter Master

Urgat You linked to this thread recently and after checking it out I must say you are a hobby-hero!

You need to get reviewed off your buyer(s ). I'd be tempted to pick up the river pieces, especially if you have had your previous work reviewed.
    Sent from my Astropath using Tele Talk

WHFB & 40k FAQ & Errata edit: oh, and Hobbit

I believe there's a quick review in my OnG plog, I'll check later.

edit: customer feedback!
    I hope he prints the whole thing out soon so I do get a complete feedback, that wouldn't hurt, I guess

For now, on the river, I got two sections and a ford done. It's relatively easy to do now that I got the hang of it, but real life just won't let me be As for the sections I'm making, I'm torn on an issue: do I make what I call a L section (a 90° angle curve) or not? I dislike those as they don't look natural (certainly you can find such curves in nature, but it's very rare on a plain, normal river nonetheless), but people might want a couple regardless?
    Last edited by Urgat; 10-01-2012 at 14:35.

45 degree angles would be more realistic, but then you would have to create straight pieces at odd angles to tie in. Could be a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
    45 degree angles would be more realistic, but then you would have to create straight pieces at odd angles to tie in. Could be a lot of work.
    Nah, I will make light curves, it's not that difficult, well, excepted for the water flow itself, but I'll manage That's why I'm considering not making 90° sections in the first place, they're not really necessary. Regular straight pieces will work just fine, that's what I did with the streets

Thumbs up Re: Urgat's terrains and paperworks

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    I believe there's a quick review in my OnG plog, I'll check later.

edit: customer feedback!
    I hope he prints the whole thing out soon so I do get a complete feedback, that wouldn't hurt, I guess
    Did somebody call?

Like I said before no problems buying this.
    All is printed and I have started to cut them out. First I will show you a print comparison between my printer with normal paper and a decent laser printer with some slightly thicker photo paper:

My printer did a good job; you could use them without any problems. The laser printer does look better but is also quite expensive (unless you have one at work you can use).
    Cutting them reminded me of the time I made some ogre huts so it will take a few evenings but that is also because this is a lot of roads. You could plaster a board with this set (well almost). Which is what I will do with part of this run by the way, and then just print some new roads.
    The best part is that they fit really well and do not show where you put them together from a normal height above the playing table or up real close for that matter. Due to the way you put them together they will not shift either, the system for connecting them is very well done. They come with a lot of variety so no boring repeating streets for your eye. But you can see that for yourselves just above.
    And of course because this is paper you can do anything with it you like, without destroying your gaming table, and just print new ones!

Some things that could improve: the alignment in the PDF is mostly well done but since I went the easy way and used a paper cutter for long straight lines I noticed some were not fully aligned. This is no real problem but good alignment makes for some fast cuts for the ones dreading scissors among us.

So I can tell you all this is a really good product, well worth it.

Here is the lot I have done so far (one print):

And this is what the free pond looks like 3D (printed with my printer and added stuff by me on a MDF board):

EDIT: Any questions just ask them.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 14-01-2012 at 19:32.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Thank you Little Joe Yeah, it took me a while to cut the whole set too, I don't see anybody doing it all in one go.

I'll definitively buy a set of those ... I got the freebie (pond), and I intend to use it "as is", but my PayPal account is a bit flat ... maybe at the end of the month, or next month ... had to buy paints and the VC book + cards this month
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 28/07/2015** Master List updated !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 19/12/2016 ** Updated

I think the other pond worked out really well, here are the results:

So how is the progress on the rivers? They would fit nicely with the pond...
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

I like it, even if I think the blood isn't too logical for such an advanced corpse (edit: where did you get a matching skull? That's beyond luck )
    The river's coming along, I'm working on the bridge now (the tricky part).
    Last edited by Urgat; 03-03-2012 at 07:27.

Maybe it has just been stripped to the bone...

Nice way to make some easy terrain. I do have to say though that static grass looks better than printed grass, but I guess that is easily fixed.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

If people want to glue grass or sand or rocks or whatever on them, I surely won't mind, I'll just ask for pics
    Hopefully, the river should be completed next week, btw.

Well, it's not completed, and "next week" is gone already... but I won't let it be said that I did nothing!

This is the bridge that will come with the river sections as a bonus. Sorry for the blurry pics, my camera batteries were done for, so I used my phone. The river sections you can see will have different colors, printers tend to print much darker than what I have on screen (and I've bought a calibration tool too, so it's not my screen's fault), so I've tweaked the colors since so they are a tad more vibrant, less grey.
    Anyway. Sadly, I don't have any of my roads handy, but obviously the bridge is compatible. Also, I know it looks like it's just printed black, but there is really an underneath to the bridge, it's just it is very late here, I took the picture with the lights off to avoid the yellowish tint of artificial lights, and as a result the shadows are knife-sharp. It needs the underneath if only for making the bridge sturdy. It's got a lot of interlocking elements so it's actually pretty sturdy, but it's also very wide, so the center would just bend under the weight of, say, a few metal ogres, so the arc strengthens the whole deal. If you get it, you could skip that part, it'll look exactly the same, and it's not exactly easy to put in place (relatively speaking - this bridge is quite easy to build), but I don't recommend it, unless you use plastic minis exclusively.
    Voila.
    Last edited by Urgat; 14-11-2012 at 07:41.

Update on the river: it's done!
    Here is what you'll get:

I wanted to make a shot with the whole thing running through my apartment, but one is too big or the other too small, so, instead, you get those pics, sorry.
    So there's the bridge, eleven river sections (one print run should be way more than you'll ever need, methinks), and tokens in case you want, who knows, your calm river to sparkle, or release toxic fumes, or carry gore along, or stuff like that, why not, maybe you'd want that?
    Tokens:

Anyway, voila. I only have to do the instructions to build the bridge ( not fun), and I'll put it up.

Oh, the minis on the bridge are WarplockMonkey's trolls, before you ask.
    Last edited by Urgat; 14-11-2012 at 07:42.

River up! 3 Euros, which translates to $3.94 or £2.47.

Direct link to the payloadz store

Direct link to the paypal page

Stupid thing won't let me edit anything when posted unless I upgrade to premium account ><
    Last edited by Urgat; 17-04-2012 at 16:59.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast