Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Librarium Chronicles: Strange Enemies, Strange Allies.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Librarium Chronicles: Strange Enemies, Strange Allies.

I went back and re-read some of this story. I was wondering more about Stern's sword. I assume that there is more to learn about the sword and how exactly all those souls ended up in it? It really got my curiosity up! I really like the way you are presenting Runihura and the way he describes himself to the Grey Knights. I get the feeling that Runihura is the most "human" of all the Thousand Sons we have met so far as well as the most mysterious. I look forward to learning more about him and what led to his highly unusual state.

I havent read the latest Grey Knights codex and it has been a long time since I read the BL novels pertaining to them so I cant be sure but it does seem that perhaps they are being abit too trusting. Without knowing more about exactly what is going on with Stern's force-sword I find it difficult to believe that they would ask the Thousand Sons for help restoring the souls of their brothers or at the least releasing them. Perhaps playing up the desperation of the Grey Knights would help show why they are so willing to ally with the Thousand Sons. Asking them to help with the souls of their brothers trapped in the sword seems out of character for the Grey Knights without an incredibly good reason to do so. I however get the feeling that you already have a good explanation as to why they are doing it! I look forward to finding out!

I do like your writing style and find it very easy to read. I dont see alot of grammatical errors either. I like that you dont seem to use the same descriptive phrases over and over like some authors do.(Dan Abnett's wet leopard growl comes to mind here!, lol)

Man, I gotta say, I'm loving this feedback! :D

Runihura's definitely the most outgoing and least reserved of the Sons so far, hehe. I'd say I wrote him like that entirely for the whole 'the least human-looking of them acts the most human', but honestly, he's always been like that, even pre-Heresy. XD I'm certainly planning on writing more about him!

Hmm, looking back at what I've written so far and thinking about what I'll be writing, I think I need to go back and flesh out the deal with that sword a bit more before the next part. There's probably not going to be much opportunity for them to talk about the sword more in what's coming up! Also, I agree with your comments about the Grey Knights probably coming across as a little... less reluctant than they should. I figured the threat of the sword destabilising and wiping out the entire planet's population with the psychic backlash was enough, but I think I need to focus on that a bit more - it was kind of just mentioned in passing, and probably easily missed at the moment. So I'll most likely go back and add to the scene with the Grey Knights and Inquisitor talking about it.

And thank you! I do try to keep the repetition to a minimum - variety is the spice of life and all that. ;) If you do pick up on any specific errors, please feel free to point them out so I can fix them.

Thanks again! :D
    Ten Thousand Years of Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Thousand Sons Project Log

Librarium Chronicles: Strange Enemies, Strange Allies:
    A small group of Thousand Sons and a detachment of Grey Knights must work together against forces that threaten them both...

DeviantArt

Sorry about the delay in posting this part. Writer's block, argh. Hopefully the next parts will go more smoothly! Also rewrote the second section of this post, based on the feedback I've gotten so far. Thank you, Nazrax!

Chapter 5

Two days later, the clouds had finally cleared, only thin white streamers left streaked across the sky. The distant sun shone down, its light thin and bright and offering little in the way of warmth. A crisp breeze gusted across the still-damp ground, wafting around a low, rocky hill and the ruined stone pillars that encircled it.

Small groups of Marines were scattered amongst the fallen pillars surrounding the rocky hill. The dull grey forms of the Grey Knights kept a wary distance from the two groups of Rubricae that stood still and silent at the base of the hill; blue and gold statues with their bolters held across their chests.

The top of the hill was levelled off, paved and edged with rounded boulders on one side and more stone pillars on the other. The paved platform was engraved with various lines, shapes and runes, though time and weather had worn them down to near-illegibility.

Stern stood at one end of the platform, at the head of the worn and broken stairs that meandered their way down to the base of the hill. He watched as Xavier and Akil conversed quietly, the sword that was the centre of their attention cradled carefully in Xavier’s hands. Occasionally one or the other of them would examine the stone pillars still standing at one side of the platform, or kneel and trace the worn-down patterns in the paving with a finger before resuming their discussion.

As this continued with no sign of change at any time soon, Stern let his gaze wander. Movement caught his eye; from his vantage point he could see Runihura pacing restlessly beyond the circle of broken pillars. Every now and then the spidery walker would pause and scan the area, turret sweeping from left to right and back again before it resumed its pacing. Alaric’s squad was nearby, some perched on the fallen pillars as they watched the walker’s movements.

“Anything going on down there?” Stern voxed to Alaric.

“No, nothing that we can detect, anyway,” Alaric’s reply cracked back over the vox. There was a subtle note of amusement in his voice as he continued. “I think he’s just bored.”

Stern let out a soft grunt. “Keep me informed.”

“Of course, Brother-Captain.” The vox cut off, and Stern went back to scanning the area. He could see Gundrick’s Purgation squad near Alaric’s, but Dvorn’s Interceptor squad were nowhere in sight, scouting around the area some distance out. What was left of Haulvarn’s squad was on the opposite side of the hill to Gundrick and Alaric, now under Mykos’ command and set up alongside the blue Vindicator from Akil’s forces.

Stern’s own squad of Terminators were near the base of the stairs, their armour gleaming dully in the thin sunlight. On the other side of the stairs stood a hulking, blue and gold form; a dreadnought that Akil had earlier introduced as Niu. The dreadnought stood almost as still as the Rubricae, only its head moving occasionally as it looked around.

Halfway up the stairs stood Khentimentiu and the marine currently taking Usi’s place; it took Stern a moment to recall his name. Stern glanced back at Akil and Xavier, saw that they were still deep in discussion, then started down the steps towards the two sergeants.

Khentimentiu was talking quietly with his battle-brother, but stopped as Stern approached and turned to face him. “Brother-Captain,” he greeted Stern with a polite nod, which was echoed a moment later by his brother.

“Khentimentiu,” Stern replied. “And Jahi, correct?”

“Indeed,” Jahi replied with a half-bow. His features were youthful, and his bright green eyes contrasted sharply with straight black hair that was pulled back and tied at the nape of his neck. “It is an honour to meet you, Brother-Captain.”

Stern just gave a short nod, then looked back to Khentimentiu. “You’ve recovered from your injuries?”

“I would not be out here if I hadn’t,” Khentimentiu replied with a half-smile. Beside him, Jahi let out a quiet snort and muttered something that Stern didn’t quite catch. Khentimentiu apparently did though, because he rolled his eyes but otherwise remained silent.

Curious, Stern raised an eyebrow at Jahi. “Am I missing something here?”

“Not at all,” Khentimentiu interjected blandly before his battle-brother could reply.

Jahi grinned at this, though he quickly suppressed it and commented innocently, “Apothecaries make the worst patients.”

Khentimentiu let out a quiet, long-suffering sigh, and Stern looked back at him, his interest piqued. “Apothecary?’

“Not as such,” Khentimentiu clarified with a shake of his head. “Still in training.”

This time Jahi didn’t bother trying to hide his grin, eyes glinting with mischievousness. “Already acts like one though.”

“Not yet I don’t,” Khentimentiu deadpanned. “I don’t have the lightning claws.”

Jahi snickered at this. “Good point. Probably just as well, too.”

Stern glanced from one sergeant to the other, unsure of what to make of their banter. Were they always like this, or was it an act put on for his benefit? He couldn’t tell. If it was an act, it was a convincing one. He shook his head slightly and remembered why he’d come down here in the first place.

He waited for a break in the conversation, then cleared his throat to get their attention. As they looked at him, Stern cast his gaze over the two small groups of Rubricae flanking the base of the stairs. “You seem to have fewer numbers than before,” he noted.

Khentimentiu nodded. “We have not had enough time yet to-- complete all their repairs.” Beside him, Jahi had looked away, his expression now a mask of neutral calm with no trace of the mischievous humour of before.

Stern noted the slight pause and wondered at its cause, but made no mention of it. Instead, he gestured towards the Dreadnought. “I’m assuming that’s why you brought him down as well?”

“That’s correct.” Khentimentiu glanced towards the silent Dreadnought. “Our captain considered it best that we have some extra support, to make up for our current lack of numbers.”

Stern mentally debated whether or not to ask his next question, then internally shrugged. It seemed as good a time as any, and if he didn’t risk asking, he’d never find out. “How long has he been interred?”

Khentimentiu paused a moment to think, apparently unbothered by the question. “Since the cleansing of Kamenka Troika, I believe,” he replied finally. “You would have to ask Captain Amari or Runihura for details though, that was before our time.”

“Any reason I could not ask Niu himself?”

Khentimentiu blinked, as if the option hadn’t occurred to him until Stern suggested it. “You could ask, I suppose, but I don't know how much of an answer you would get.” Stern raised an eyebrow curiously at that, and Khentimentiu continued. “I get the impression that he’s always been rather quiet. He doesn’t talk very much now, at any rate.”

“I see.” Stern considered for a moment, then nodded. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Brother-Captain.”

Curiosity satisfied for the moment, Stern decided he should check on the progress of the ritual. He nodded a polite farewell to Khentimentiu and Jahi, then headed back up the stairs and strode over to where Akil and Xavier were still talking. Xavier had carefully planted the tip of the sword into a crevice in the paving, one large enough to support the sword upright, and was lightly holding onto the hilt. Stern waited beside the two, then spoke up when they paused in their quiet conversation. “Any progress?”

Akil glanced over at Stern and nodded. “Much. We’ll be able to star--” He broke off mid-sentence, going still as his eyes unfocused, his expression distant. Stern shot a puzzled look at Xavier, who shrugged in response, equally bemused. But before either could say anything, Akil suddenly straightened, his eyes refocusing. “Never mind.” He flicked the lightning claws resting against his armoured forearms down into their combat position, and they snapped into place with a faint hum as their power fields activated.

Startled, Stern reached for his own weapon, but the Thousand Sons captain wasn’t even looking at him, his expression grim and movements urgent as he started striding towards the stairs. “Ready yourselves. We’re about to have company.”

A small group of Thousand Sons and a detachment of Grey Knights must work together against forces that threaten them both...

DeviantArt

Veteran Sergeant

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you about your latest chapter, Skits.

I am still really enjoying it I must say. I find the bits of humor rather refreshing after so much of 40k is nothing but grimdark, grimdark, grimdark, grimdark, GRIMDARK!!! I think that without any humor or positive things in the 40k universe the whole grimdark things become far too one-sided, stale, overly-repetitive and frankly...dare I say *ducks* BORING. Now having said that I do think an arguement could be made about the GK having no sense of humor or even much in the way of personalities. Although I am not a fan of that. I think a well thought-out mix of grimdark and positives are a good thing and a must-have for any story to feel both interesting and complete. I think that you are doing a good job of mixing the two.

I am starting to see the relationship or dynamic between the GK and 1K Sons grow/change and it is rather intriguing. I keep finding myself at first thinking "no, they wouldnt act like that...well wait a tic, it isnt that unbelievable really...hmm, actually it does make sense in a sort of fantastic, out of this world sort of way..." I apologize if that doesnt make much sense but it is pretty much exactly what I was thinking to myself as I read and then reread the fifth chapter.
    I do think that the conversation between Capt. Stern, Khentimentiu and Jahi was possibly too friendly on the part of the 1k Sons and that they seemed almost too easy-going with the GK capt. However I also feel that it is perfectly understandable given the situation and that it could be more of a "forced" familiarity by the 1k Sons to try and not give offense or as an attempt to hide awkward feelings.
    I still am loving Runihura as always and want to learn more about him. He is a character that I find to be easily relatable and seems the type that I would really want to be my friend. Keep it up! I want MORE!! lol
    I like the changes you made in chapter 3 i think it was. I feel that the increased information given is helping to develop the personalities and character of both GK and 1k Sons. It also helps the reader understand better what and why things are happening the way they are.
    I must say I found the idea of a ratling Inquisitor strange. I have never heard of an abhuman being an Inquisitor and was surprised that it would/could happen. Im sure that more info about this Inquisitor is coming and will explain why/how such a strange Inquisitor came to be and is here.
    I apologize if any of this doesnt make much sense-I didnt have alot of time to write this and am even now being hassled by my wife to get off the computer, lol. Anyway, I look forward to reading more and I hope that next time I will have more time to better explain my thoughts and type them accordingly.

As an aside-having read your story it has finally pushed me into doing a pre-heresy 1K Sons army. I was torn between Deathguard, 1k Sons, Iron Warriors or Luna Wolves. I have decided to go with almost all FW parts and am thinking it will take me quite some time to collect all of what I want given the prices of the models, lol. Your WIP 1k Sons are inspiring and the talent you show is making me jealous. I dont mean to come off as a brown-nosing fanboi, I just like your work!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love your feedback, Nazrax? I love your feedback.

I totally agree with you about all the grimdark, grimdark, GRIMDARK, hehehe. If there's no variety in the tone, it just gets flat and boring. And I do love a bit of humour now and then - I think it makes the characters more human if they can occasionally have a laugh. As for the GKs, yeah, they certainly feel like they'd have less of a sense of humour overall, but at least some of them would still have something. XD I think Alaric's got a pretty good sense of humour, at least. I'm glad it's working so far!

I'm also glad that the dynamic between the two groups makes sense so far - even if you do have to tilt your head sideways and squint a bit. It's an odd situation all around.

Hahaha, the main reason I came up with Jahi was because I can't legally field an army with only one troops choice, and a Thousand Sons squad needs an aspiring sorcerer to be fielded. XD Since Usi's currently out of action, I needed a temporary replacement. Then the little bastard suddenly developed this personality and began giving Khenti a hard time, and I had to include it. Poor Khenti puts up with so much crap. As for whether or not they're forcing it... well, Stern can't tell either way, so it's probably a good thing the reader can't really tell either.

There will definitely be more of Runihura! I really enjoy writing him, both pre- and post-Heresy.

I'm pleased the changes worked! I still can't believe I completely forgot Thawn the first time through, ugh. That's probably part of the reason why it didn't make as much sense before, heh. The ratling Inquisitor character belongs to my friend who plays the Grey Knights. XD I agree it is rather odd, but there is a story behind him and it does make sense... if you tilt your head and squint a bit.

Hooray, another pre-Heresy Sons army! Join us, we have cookies! XD It's incredibly gratifying to be considered such an inspiration - thank you! And again, thank you very much for the awesome feedback! I really appreciate it.

DeviantArt

Scout

Awesome as usual! Keep it coming! There is something I just love about Thousand Sons. Also liked how you captured the sarcasm the space marines have between each other. Its so much fun to have but it seems like it is usually kicked in fan fiction.
    Now get back to writing! I want to see this up on deviant art so I can get it a daily deviation in literature.

@msjedimaster: Thank you! Hehehe, there are a lot of things I love about the Thousand Sons, but I won't get started on it, we'd be here all day. And I'm glad you like the banter! I figure, they're (battle) brothers, and brothers give each other crap, so. XD As for deviantArt, aheh, I dunno if it's worth a DD! At least, not while it's still unfinished. But I might start uploading the chapters anyway at some point. And man, I actually find writing really, really difficult, hence the slow updates. x_x Anyway.

Here's the next part, finally!

“We’ve pinpointed our target’s location, my lord.”

The words emanated from the ship’s vox system and echoed through the massive launch bay, tinny and hollow. Kharriaz looked up from where he stood in the middle of the bay, his tentacles writhing above his shoulders. All around him was the bustle of battle preparations; servitors and thralls prepared a pair of Rhinos and an accompanying Vindicator, while their crews and two squads of mutated Chaos Marines checked their weapons and armour, rumbling banter and insults at each other.

A small squad of Raptors lurked well apart from the rest, sporting even more noticeable mutations than the regular marines. Massive leathery wings took the place of their jump packs, and various claws, talons and spines were the norm rather than the exception. Only the Raptor’s aspiring Champion still had a jump pack, but the mutations of his head and chest more than made up for his lack of wings.

Packs of chaos spawn, unfortunates who had lost the favour of their patron god of change - or perhaps had been favoured one too many times - snarled and gibbered and whimpered in their cages along one side of the bay. Nearby, a coven of minor sorcerers were chanting rituals of binding and appeasement around the menacing form of a purple and silver Defiler; its mechanical structure was adorned with blue daemonic growths in the form of plated chitin. Kharriaz ignored it all, his attention focused on the vox. “Excellent. Do we have landing zones?”

“Yes, my lord.” The vox crackled with static for a moment. “However, our targets are not alone down there. There’s another small force with them. They appear to be--”

Kharriaz interrupted, dismissing the words with a wave of one taloned hand. “I don’t care who they are. As long as we have clear landing zones, it doesn’t matter. We will carve through them regardless and claim our prizes. Inform me immediately as soon as we’re in position to launch.”

“Of course, my lord.” The vox crackled to silence, and Kharriaz returned his attention back to the controlled chaos around him.

Heavy footsteps approaching from behind made him turn, and Kharriaz looked down at the three Obliterators as they halted before him, their elaborate black armour seeming to absorb whatever light hit it. “Speaking of claiming prizes,” the foremost Obliterator rumbled, “I hope our deal still stands, Kharriaz.”

Inwardly the daemon prince seethed at the blatant lack of respect or obsequiousness that the Obliterators displayed, but he kept that carefully hidden. They were mercenaries in every sense of the word, and it was notoriously difficult to secure their services. “Of course,” Kharriaz replied with a curt nod. “As agreed, any and all armour, weapons and equipment salvaged from the enemy will be yours.” The Obliterators nodded in satisfaction, and Kharriaz smirked toothily. “That said, if there’s anything in particular you want from the enemy, you’ll have to take them down yourselves without damaging their gear too much.”

The lead Obliterator scowled up at him, though the expression was hard to read through the mutations and melding of flesh and machine. “You don’t tell us how to do our job, Kharriaz, and we won’t tell you how to do yours.” He turned on his heel, and the three mercenaries stalked back to the corner of the launch bay that they’d claimed as their own, keeping themselves aloof and apart from everyone else.

Kharriaz muttered something highly uncomplimentary about the Obliterators under his breath, then turned back to survey the rest of the launch bay. He was just in time to see a hapless thrall go flying through the air, trailing a pathetic little scream that was abruptly cut off when the thrall hit a bulkhead with a sickening crunch. Simultaneously amused and annoyed, Kharriaz looked over at the culprit - one of the pair of daemonically possessed Rhinos being prepped for the upcoming battle.

The Rhinos, and the solitary Vindicator, were an odd sight. The outward signs of their possession manifested in knobbly blue tentacles that sprouted from their purple-painted hulls, tentacles that were perfectly capable of crushing a man to death - or in this case, hurling someone across a launch bay. The Rhinos’ bolters, instead of being pintle-mounted, were attached to the end of thick, flexible tails that grew from the rear of the transports and curved scorpion-like over the top.

The bolter-tipped tails twitched and tracked every movement, while the tentacles writhed and flexed, stretching towards anything within range. The rest of the thralls that had been preparing the vehicles were now scurrying hurriedly away, out of the reach of the grasping tentacles. They were chased by mocking, derisive laughter from the purple-armoured Marines gathered nearby, who were watching with vicious amusement.

“You’d think the thralls would’ve learned by now.” Telthalion drifted up beside Kharriaz, his winged hoverboard unheard in the overall noise within the bay. The intricately-detailed board hung in the air a meter or so above the floor, with Telthalion balancing easily atop it, his halberd held casually in one hand.

Kharriaz let out a derisive snort. “Learn? They’re thralls. If they were capable of learning, they wouldn’t be thralls in the first place.”

“Hm, point.” Telthalion shrugged, dismissing the thralls from his thoughts. He leant idly on his halberd, his hoverboard moving slightly to accommodate the shift in weight. “I am looking forward to the conclusion of this battle.”

“As am I,” Kharriaz replied with a growl. “It has been a long time coming, but our quarry will not escape us this time. Soon, we will have them. And then...” He let out a hiss, flexing his hands. “I look forward to warping them, breaking them... making them suffer for all they’ve done.”

“If you do manage to break their wills and turn them to our cause, they’ll be worthy additions to our forces.” Telthalion looked over at Kharriaz, his expression hidden beneath his elaborately styled helmet. “Just don’t lose your head chasing revenge.”

Kharriaz unconsciously rubbed at his throat at those words; when he realised what he was doing he quickly dropped his hand and let out a vicious snarl, ready to lash out at Telthalion. But the sorcerer had already drifted well out of range, apparently unaware or uncaring of Kharriaz’ reaction as he went to rejoin his Raptor squad. The daemon prince quickly collected himself, calming his ire with a breath and a thought. Now was not the time to lose his temper; he would save his anger for the ones who truly deserved it.

Dismissing those thoughts, Kharriaz shook his head and summoned his own flying disc, a large circular platform with a ring of deadly, razor-edged spikes that spun around the disc’s circumference. The disc allowed him to move and maneuver with startling speed, and was a lethal weapon in and of itself. He balanced on it with practiced ease, hovering just above the floor. Around him, preparations were concluding, and there was a growing air of tense anticipation in the launch bay. It had been a long time since the Heralds of Change had seen any real action, and they were eager for the upcoming fight.

The vox suddenly crackled to life again, the words echoing through the bay. “We’re in position, my lord. Landing zones are locked in and we are ready to launch at your command.”

“Excellent,” Kharriaz hissed, and urged his disc higher. “Heralds!” he called, his voice booming through the launch bay and attracting the attention of everyone within. “It has been a long hunt, but finally our prey are within our grasp.” All eyes were now upon the daemon prince, looking up at him as his disc held him high in the air. Even the defiler and the chaos spawn in their cages were quiet as he spoke. “You know who we face and what they’re capable of. Strike fast, strike hard, and let nothing stand in your way.” He swept his gaze across his forces, his glowing red eyes narrowed. “But remember, I want their leaders captured alive. They are of no use to us otherwise.”

He waited a moment as the aspiring champions of each squad stated their understanding and acceptance of his orders, then nodded sharply. “Load up.” The two squads of marines quickly piled into their respective Rhinos, while the Raptors crouched in anticipation, their massive leathery wings unfurling and flaring wide. The chaos spawn began to keen and howl in building excitement, thrashing around in their cages. Meanwhile, the minor sorcerers that had been keeping the defiler in check quickly exited the bay, and the daemonic machine let out a screech of eager fury as it felt its sorcerous bonds loosen.

Kharriaz drew his own weapon and held it ready; a massive broadsword, its jagged blade carved with twisted arcane symbols. He looked up at the ceiling, his tentacles flexing and writhing above his shoulders. “Begin teleport!”

The floor and walls of the launch bay were engraved with intricate runes that swirled and flowed together, and seemed to move with an unnatural life of their own. At Kharriaz’s command, the air crackled with building energy as the runes began to glow with an eerie light, and everyone and everything inside the bay was soon enveloped in a thick purple mist. Matching runes carved on hulls and hides and armour glowed brighter in response, lighting the mist from within.

Then there was a sudden, sharp thunderclap of collapsing air as the teleport took effect. In a heartbeat the launch bay was left dark and empty, leaving behind nothing but the fading glow of runes and the thin, ghostly tendrils of dissipating mist.

DeviantArt

Scout

AGH! I have a feeling some Grey Knights and Thousand Sons are going to get majorly screwed in a second...which is going to be totally awesome.
    I'm sorry you are having writers block...that is never fun when your working on a project. :O
    Well I decided to add a short list of reasons I like the Thousand Sons:
    1. They are Psykers
    2. They are cool Psykers
    3. They like to read and are Psykers
    Nothing repeated in that list right? :P

Veteran Sergeant

I like the latest update-some good foreshadowing going on and I like that we arent told exactly who the Heralds of Change are after. Is it the obvious choice of the 1K Sons or could it be the Grey Knights? Nice job of keeping the reader wanting more!
    Looking forward as always to more good stuff!

Thank you both for the feedback! As always, it's very much appreciated! :D

@msjedimaster: Mwahahaha. There is definitely going to be some major screwage going on - though to who, you'll just have to find out! And heh, it's less writer's block and more just... plain difficulty in writing in general. I mean, I know exactly what happens (thanks to the battle being played out in a 40k game between me and my friends, and them giving me the time to take notes throughout XD ), it's just... figuring out what parts to show, and who to show them from, and how much to show, and how to show them, and the order to show them in, and... aaagh. *headclutch*

Let's just say I've had to make an excel spreadsheet to help me organise what happened when and to who. XD It was SUCH a messy fight.

That, and Diablo 3 coming out recently hasn't helped my focus any. ¬_¬ As for the list... I think you left out the fact that they're psykers. ;) Which is an excellent reason to like the Thousand Sons!

@Nazrax: Hehe, I'm glad you picked up on that! I definitely didn't want to just give out who their target is right off the bat - I like to keep the readers guessing when I can. ;) Glad you're still enjoying it! And I apologise for the slowness in updating. D:

DeviantArt

The arrival of the incoming force was sudden and violent, the only warning a surge of energy and a thick billowing of sickly purple-black mist that encircled the hill and the forces gathered around it. Sharp thunder cracks of teleportation announced the arrival of each unit, the sounds rolling together and creating a crescendo of noise that almost drowned out the roar of rapidly approaching engines. Despite the forewarning from Akil, the combined Grey Knight and Thousand Sons forces were still repositioning, and had no time to react before the enemy forces opened fire, still nothing more than silhouettes in the mist.

The first to be hit was Niu; precisely-aimed melta blasts cut through the mist and hit the dreadnought, burning through armour and mechanisms and crippling all the walker’s systems. Even as Niu’s immobilised form slowly toppled over, there was a screeching bellow and the krump of a firing battlecannon from the right flank, accompanied by the harsh, sizzling blasts of more melta guns. This was followed almost immediately by the deeper krump of a Demolisher cannon.

The ensuing explosions further choked the mist-filled air with thick black smoke and blended with the sounds of a Rhino pulling up on the left flank. Moments later there was the sharp bark of bolters, combined with the whoosh of flamers as the Rhino’s unloaded squad opened fire. At the same time, the sharp retort of sorcerous lightning cracked through the din and left an acrid tang of burning ozone in the air.

Then, with a roar, the attackers charged.

Shrapnel and debris were still pinging off his armour as Akil shook off the effects of the Demolisher shell that had detonated nearby and felled several of the Rubricae. Khentimentiu staggered up beside him, shaking his head even as he held his weapons at the ready. There was no time to regroup though; a roar resounded through the smoke-filled air, and Akil could only brace himself for the charge he knew was coming.

They boiled out of the smoke and mist like a tide of malevolent meat, full of tentacles and toothy maws and far too many clawed, taloned limbs. Akil glimpsed Khentimentiu freeze briefly at the sight of the mutated beasts - only for a moment, but it was a moment too long. The wave of chaos spawn crashed into them, separating them and driving Khentimentiu backwards, out of Akil’s sight.

Akil could barely keep his feet as he fended off blows from the large grotesque creatures, their howls ringing in his ears. He lashed out with his lightning claws, parting limbs from bodies and carving deep furrows into tough hides and mutated flesh, and the howls changed to shrieks of rage and pain. His own thick armour was holding up well, and he swiftly went on the offensive, trusting his armour to continue warding off the spawns’ attacks.

He wasn’t the spawns’ only target though; Akil sensed the last of the nearby Rubricae fall beneath the vicious onslaught, unable to keep up with the beasts’ swift, unpredictable attacks. Sounds of battle nearby told him that Stern’s terminator squad were also fighting the chaos spawn, though he couldn’t make out much more than quick-moving silhouettes through the smoke and kicked-up dust.

In his helm’s display, Akil could see Khentimentiu’s rune flickering and dimming. His lightning claws sizzled and hissed as he fought his way through the pack, trying to reach his battle-brother. The spawn thrashed and flailed at him, trying to drag him down, but Akil bulled his way through, felling the beasts around him and shoving them out of the way.

The spawn’s charge had pushed Khentimentiu halfway up the stairs, and as Akil fought his way up them, Khentimentiu’s rune dimmed out completely. Akil glimpsed a blue and gold form collapse under a thick knot of spawn, and he surged forwards, slashing his lightning claws across the first of the knot he reached. The spawn shrieked and fell forwards, its spine severed. In response, the rest of the spawn abandoned their previous target and turned on him, hissing and snarling.

He fended off or avoided their attacks, and aimed his own at what seemed to be more vulnerable places on the beasts’ tough bodies. As he fought, a familiar mental presence made itself felt in the back of his mind, and he sent a wordless acknowledgement.

“Captain, a Repulsive-class grand cruiser has appeared in orbit.” Zuberi’s mental voice was calm and controlled, though there was a slight edge to it.

“Is it moving to attack?” Akil asked distractedly as he bisected a spawn in a spray of gore and shoved the two halves to one side.

“No. It’s just holding position.”

“If it does, do not engage. The safety of the
    Aten is your top priority.”

“Understood.”
    Zuberi’s mental presence left as unobtrusively as it had arrived, the whole exchange having taken only a moment.

Akil sidestepped what would have been a crushing blow and tore what he hoped was the head off the offending spawn. It obligingly collapsed to the ground, twitching, and Akil kicked the body out of the way. That seemed to be the last of the spawn in his immediate vicinity, and he could finally take a moment to properly check on his fallen battle-brother.

To his relief, Khentimentiu still lived, though he was out cold, his armour badly battered and dented. But before Akil could do anything else, a sudden flare of pain shot up his leg, and his helm flashed warnings of failing knee servos and breached hull integrity. One of the spawn that Akil thought he’d already killed had crawled up behind him, trailing gore and viscera, and had clamped its abnormally strong pincers around his knee, crushing the joint armour and sinking into his flesh.

Akil drove his lightning claws down through the top of the creature’s head, then tore them out sideways. It spasmed and went limp, though the pincer was still firmly clamped around his knee. He cut it off with another swipe of his claws and gingerly tested the leg. Damaged servos whined and sparked, and he could smell blood, burnt circuits and spilled hydraulic fluid. The joint still functioned, barely, but the damage to both armour and flesh was going to slow him down.

His vox suddenly crackled to life. “Could use a hand here.” Jahi’s voice sounded tense and strained beneath the vox’s static.

“Hold on.” Akil began moving, limping as quickly as he could across the side of the hill towards Jahi’s position. Below him, the mist and smoke was finally starting to clear, and he could make out the shapes of Stern and his terminators, the noise of battle echoing up off the rocks as they continued to fight off spawn. But as he continued across the rocks, he saw a large squad of mutated chaos marines in purple armour charge towards the embattled Grey Knights’ flank.

He saw them hit the Knights, led by a more noticeably mutated marine wielding a power sword. Saw Stern stagger and nearly fall beneath the onslaught before recovering, though hard-pressed by the traitor marines on one side and the spawn on the other. Akil knew he had to intervene, to give the Knights a chance to recover. If Stern fell, the truce between them and the Sons most likely wouldn’t last much beyond this battle.

With a mental apology to Jahi and a brief thought hoping his leg would hold out, Akil backed up a step, then charged forward, leaping off the rocks and down into the fray below.

Last edited by Skits; 07-06-2012 at 14:58.

DeviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2