Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ModernKiwi does some fantasy scenery

ModernKiwi does some fantasy scenery

My armies are these days pretty much done, but the battlefield consists of a green tablecloth. Battling on the green plains of the Moot is all very well and good, but I thought I needed some variety to break it up. The long term goal is to have a dozen or so pieces I can put on the table and to make a gaming table itself. To that extent I've bought (to date) the Witchfate Tor, the Dreadstone Blight, the Fortified Manor House, a Garden of Morr and a Temple of Skulls.

I have spent part of my Christmas break assembling and paintling the below utter bastard of a piece of scenery. Such a cast iron bitch to put to gether. I had to resort to pinning every single piece of wall to its neighbour twice (top and bottom) to make it sit together right. Still the end result is quite nice I think.

Behold, the Witchfate Tor!!!

Note that I used the statues from the Chapel rather than those supplied with the kit as they don't interfer with how you can assemble the floors.

In this picture you can see the long brown stain beneith the garderobe...

And this is what the top of the tower looks like from above...

I did take some pictures of the interior as well, but they turned out to be blurry and dark and didn't show much. I might try again tomorrow.

As you can see from the background I've also finished the Dreadstone Blight, which went together much easier. Only pinning on that one went into the top two floors.

Next up is the Garden of Morr.

Scout

Re: ModernKiwi does some fantasy scenery

So elaborate! Great work!

Thanks for the comment.

Made this hill out of some HP server packing foam and some pollyfiller/spackle. I think if I was to do another, I'd make it a bit bigger - as can be seen from the picture it looks a bit crowded with a unit standing on top. Still it is big enough to block line of sight.

Nextup (if I can get my new computers card reader to work), the Fortified Manor.

Finished the Fortified Manor. Quite a neat bit of kit that. Loads of spare bits and pieces with all sorts of uses.

Good stuff Kiwi!
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!

Nicely painted mate.

I really like it man! Keep up!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Looking good. Ah... its summer in Auckland...

I love the dirt and grass on the Manor.

Thank you for the comments gents. It isn't much of a summer in Auckland. Rain, rain and more rain. Must have been about 5 days of sunshine since 1st of December in total. Doesn't make it easy to take pictures that is for sure.

StygianBeach, I'm not 100% happy with the grass. I think static grass looks a little wrong when used over large areas. I bought some Mordheim tufts the other day and may add one or two in corners.

Meanwhile, work on the Temple of Skulls continues.
    Last edited by ModernKiwi; 12-01-2012 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ModernKiwi View Post
    Thank you for the comments gents. It isn't much of a summer in Auckland. Rain, rain and more rain. Must have been about 5 days of sunshine since 1st of December in total. Doesn't make it easy to take pictures that is for sure.

StygianBeach, I'm not 100% happy with the grass. I think static grass looks a little wrong when used over large areas. I bought some Mordheim tufts the other day and may add one or two in corners.

Meanwhile, work on the Temple of Skulls continues.
    I think the bigger reason it looks odd is its too conforming to the "flagstones"
    My Nurgle Marine Log
    also here (predates my Warseer one)
    My trench board

For Pax East 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Txan View Post
    U r god. Well maybe a god of a god of a paintbrush

A week ago I won in an auction a home made game board for NZ$50. All I had to do was do a 500km round trip drive to pick it up. As it also came with a Fortified Manor, Arcane Ruins, the Citadel Woods and two sets of the the walls and fences which alone are about NZ$320, it was still worth it. The game boards themselves are quite massive - possibly too big for my gaming table and had been painted etc in an ... interesting way. Here's a couple of shots of what I picked up...

Over the past week, I have glued sand to one of them, painted it and applied flock and here's what the end result of that looks like...

Looks pretty decent I think, now I just have to do 5 more of them...

And an update, two of the six now completed... well I may end up repainting the river bit, but otherwise complete.

I'll try to do another two over the course of the next week.

looks like you got quite a bargain sir.

The fourth gameboard awaits flocking (actually I did that after I took the picture) and for me to fix the rip in the river section. With four on my dining table, it's 90% covered, so I can't see myself ever having all six in use, but I'll finish the other two as it'll be good to have some variety in terrain.

Also finished the Arcane Ruins today, which don't look too bad on the battlefield...

I also finished an Idol of Mork (or possibly Gork) and some parts of the Garden of Morr, but the photos I took of them were either very dark or very shakey, so I'll have to try again next time. Weather hasn't been playing ball today with respect to taking pictures.

Four gameboards on my table...

Been busy the past month and have finally had weather good enough for picture taking. And so, yay for more scenery.

Or should that be Morr scenery. I finished the Garden of Morr which is an excellent bit of kit aklthough I have no idea how you're supposed to fight inside area...

and then felt inspired enough to do a whole bunch more.

Finished a Temple of Skulls...

plus the Citadel trees...

and some generic trees...

A Charnel Pit which was just every spare skellington bit I had sitting around glued to an old CD...

and a Weirding Well...

and finally some generic terrain enhancement...

And then the sun came out today, so I could finally take some pictures.

One second hand fortified manor (put together by an eight year old it appears under the principle that if a little super glue is good, a whole tube is better), plus a hell of a lot of cutting and GS-ing and so forth = well this.

WIP obviously. I need to work out how I am going to do the tiles on the top bit of roof and then paint it.

I didn't come up with the design, I've shamelessly stolen it from a work I found on the internet...

Marine

wow that's looking good.

Well it's only taken me five months, but this weekend I finished painting and flocking the last gameboard I bought back in April. I still have to fix up the pond on the board in the second picture, but that's the table top pretty much done.

And I also did this sign as a bit of generic scenery. Would you go left or right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast