Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Hello all! Decided to start up a log here, mostly for motivation and inspiration. I got into 40k through painting, and have been doing so for about a year and a half. My main (and currently only!) army is a pure Thousand Sons one - I adore their fluff, heh. At the moment it's pretty much all post-Heresy, but I am planning on expanding it with pre-Heresy models and colour schemes as well.

So, before I reveal what I'm currently working on, here's some of my already completed stuff:

Akil, Terminator Lord/Sorcerer. Magnetised arms because I am horribly indecisive, and being able to use the same model for whatever weapon loadout I want is fantastic. The runes on the staff read "All is Dust" in Egyptian, Arabic script.

Niu, Forgeworld Thousand Sons Dreadnought. Magnetised arms and head, greenstuff skirt and chain (my first real attempt at sculpting with greenstuff!). Interchangeable bases as well, just because. XD

And something Pre-Heresy: Rashidi, Boarding Marine Forgeworld special for Games Day 2011:

I would've greenstuff'd a scarab over the Aquila, but it seemed kind of like sacrilege to modify a special release model. D: So I'm just... mentally ignoring the fact that, as far as I know, only Emperor's Children were allowed to wear the Aquila on their armour pre-Heresy. XD

Anyway, on to the actual WIP log stuff! My current project is a five-man squad of Terminators, with magnetised arms for weapon switching. I'm modifying them so the armour design looks more like the pre-Heresy terminator armour, using the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions artwork as inspiration. This is my first major conversion project; I'm having to teach myself a lot of stuff about using greenstuff and plasticard as I go!

The main modification, apart from de-chaosifying the armour, is replacing the round shoulderpads with rectangular ones, with cloth hanging from the inner shoulderpad. I've also added a winged scarab on the chestplate to a couple of them, mostly to hide where I've scraped off chaos symbols. Also planning on using grey knight helmets, at least for some of them.

Greenstuff skirts:

Trying out different positioning of the grey knight heads, and testing the modified glaive power weapons. Couldn't get hold of any Tomb Guard weapons, so I just made 'em from plasticard instead.

And the latest stuff I've been doing!

Greenstuff detail on the top of the cowl. Only done this to two of them so far.

Experimenting with the helms and collars. Not sure which I like better, though I'll probably use a mix of both.

Most of the stuff I've done so far has purely been to see if I can do it - whether or not I should is still up for debate, hehe. I realise I shouldn't have painted them at all yet, but I've been fielding them in a few games recently, and I hate putting grey models on the table. x_x Ah well.

Comments, crits, advice and opinions all welcome! Thanks for looking.

Re: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Fantastic stuff - subbed!
    'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!
    'Ere we go, 'ere we go, froo Da Oonivers!
    'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!
    We don't know where we're goin'
    'Till we're dere!

This looks great. I really like your bases and your green stuff work is excellent.

Commander

Awesome work! Your conversions and GSing are flawless. The paint is exceptional as well.

Fantastic work, a thread to watch for sure!!

Loving your work. Can't wait to see what you've got for us next.
    I am the monkey and I can go anywhere :chrome:

View my Blood Angel and Imperial Guard project log - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228657

Commander

So awsome trhat I cried tears of joy

Scout

Cant wait to see more of these, I am currently thinking of building a Tzeetch army and this is incredible inspiration. ^_^ Good Job!

Wow, thank you for all the awesome comments! They're very much appreciated!

Just finished up a bit more greenstuff work - starting to build up a helmet over one of the bare heads from the Chaos Terminator sprue, and modifying a grey knight helm or two. Waiting for greenstuff to dry slows things down so much, bleh. No photos just yet, I'll put some up when I've actually got some visible progress.

And just so this update isn't entirely without pics...! Here, have a quick image I drew up yesterday - a scene from my in-progress 40K fic. I haven't drawn anything for months, and my hand's feeling it today, heh.

Stern Does Not Approve of the contents of this thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Project Log || Skitsmix Miniatures Gallery & Commission Information || Facebook

Chapter Master the damned artificer's Avatar

Love your work, it's so great!
    The idea with the interchangeable bases is really cool, could be awesome to be able to field the same army in different environments

Hehe, thank you! Yeah, being able to field bases that at least somewhat match the terrain was one of the ideas behind the different bases for Niu. It's just so weird fielding a lava base on a snow board...

Anyway! A little bit more progress. Group shot, just to give an idea of what they'll look like all together.

Accidentally dripped some plastic glue onto the apothecary's head and didn't notice until too late. Trying to remove the glue kinda futzed up the top of his head, hence the greenstuff. I'll probably put some sort of crest on the front as well, once I figure out what shape would work best, especially with those optical lenses. Need to figure out a way to set that apothecary head back a bit further into the neck socket, too.

Guy in the middle of this pic still needs his helmet greenstuff'd out a bit more, mostly on the sides, I think. It was originally a bare head, so it's not as broad as ones with actual helmets. His collar is also still in progress - more detail needs to be built up now that the backing bit is dry. I also need to adjust the end guy's grey knight head so I can set it further back into the neck socket. The amount it juts out just plain annoys me. It looks like he'd get such a sore neck!

Debating whether or not to add crests to the grey knight helms as well, or whether to just leave them as is. Or maybe just greenstuff up more bare/regular heads like I've done with the other two. Thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the Grey Knight heads and your green stuff ones don't sit too well together. Both are cool but your greenstuff ones are cooler. So I'd go all one way or all the other with a preference for the cooler greenstuffed helmets

Wow, the terminators are fantastic! There's really nothing I can say other than that

I really like your sorceror lord as well, I like the contrast of the blue vs the lava base

@ Grizzlybear: Thank you! Yeah, I decided to do a lava base mostly for the colour contrast. And 'cause lava is awesome, hehe.

@ Student: Yeah, I think I agree about the helmets. Will most likely do all greenstuff ones for this lot - I might modify a GK helm or two with greenstuff, see how that looks too. Thanks for the feedback!

And now, something a little different. I have the attention span sometimes of a gnat on crack, so occasionally I'll work on something else just so I don't burn out on the one thing. Been wanting to convert up some pre-Heresy bikes for a while now, finally got started on one. Zoomzoom tearass!

Very, very much WIP, heh. Only some basecoat colours atm, and the rider isn't actually glued in yet to make painting easier. Arms, head, backpack and glaive held on with blu-tak for now, testing out the positioning. Still not entirely sure about the gold trim - it looks kinda Khornate, though hopefully once all the mods are complete it won't look so bad. XD Though for the next bike I'll probably try a white trim, just to see how it looks.

Random Chaos head scraped down with a stanley knife to get the base shaper closer to what I want. Gonna greenstuff it similar to what I've done for the terminator heads. Considering doing a greenstuff scarab over the skull on the front of the bike, but the twin bolters don't really leave much room in there.

The backpack is one from the Forgeworld MkIV armour - I got a bunch of those guys, and a heavy weapon pack as well. So I'm replacing some of the MkIV backpacks with the heavy weapons ones, and using the spares for my bikes. Still a fair bit of greenstuff to do on the weapon as well - once that's done, then I'll straighten it out and glue it to the hand.

So much to do, so little time...

Really very cool, I'm loving the laver bases! - Do you have a laver themed board to go with them?

Great stuff!!!

Thanks! Alas, no, I don't have a lava themed board yet... maybe one day! My Sons would look very nice all on a lava board...

very nice conversions in here skits...
    i really like how you opened with that huge lord...he looks really well done

Thank you! I figured it'd be good to open with stuff I've already done so people have some idea of what to expect from the WIP stuff, hehe.

Can we see Khentimentiu?

@Sunshine and Night: The model I use for him, or a drawing? My mental image of Khentimentiu is a little different from the actual model, hehe.

Like how the model I use for Akil is the model at the top of this thread, but my actual mental image of him is more like this.
    Last edited by Skits; 18-01-2012 at 01:37.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast