Hello all! Decided to start up a log here, mostly for motivation and inspiration. I got into 40k through painting, and have been doing so for about a year and a half. My main (and currently only!) army is a pure Thousand Sons one - I adore their fluff, heh. At the moment it's pretty much all post-Heresy, but I am planning on expanding it with pre-Heresy models and colour schemes as well.
So, before I reveal what I'm currently working on, here's some of my already completed stuff:
Akil, Terminator Lord/Sorcerer. Magnetised arms because I am horribly indecisive, and being able to use the same model for whatever weapon loadout I want is fantastic. The runes on the staff read "All is Dust" in Egyptian, Arabic script.
Niu, Forgeworld Thousand Sons Dreadnought. Magnetised arms and head, greenstuff skirt and chain (my first real attempt at sculpting with greenstuff!). Interchangeable bases as well, just because. XD
And something Pre-Heresy: Rashidi, Boarding Marine Forgeworld special for Games Day 2011:
I would've greenstuff'd a scarab over the Aquila, but it seemed kind of like sacrilege to modify a special release model. D: So I'm just... mentally ignoring the fact that, as far as I know, only Emperor's Children were allowed to wear the Aquila on their armour pre-Heresy. XD
Anyway, on to the actual WIP log stuff! My current project is a five-man squad of Terminators, with magnetised arms for weapon switching. I'm modifying them so the armour design looks more like the pre-Heresy terminator armour, using the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions artwork as inspiration. This is my first major conversion project; I'm having to teach myself a lot of stuff about using greenstuff and plasticard as I go!
The main modification, apart from de-chaosifying the armour, is replacing the round shoulderpads with rectangular ones, with cloth hanging from the inner shoulderpad. I've also added a winged scarab on the chestplate to a couple of them, mostly to hide where I've scraped off chaos symbols. Also planning on using grey knight helmets, at least for some of them.
Trying out different positioning of the grey knight heads, and testing the modified glaive power weapons. Couldn't get hold of any Tomb Guard weapons, so I just made 'em from plasticard instead.
And the latest stuff I've been doing!
Greenstuff detail on the top of the cowl. Only done this to two of them so far.
Experimenting with the helms and collars. Not sure which I like better, though I'll probably use a mix of both.
Most of the stuff I've done so far has purely been to see if I can do it - whether or not I should is still up for debate, hehe. I realise I shouldn't have painted them at all yet, but I've been fielding them in a few games recently, and I hate putting grey models on the table. x_x Ah well.
Comments, crits, advice and opinions all welcome! Thanks for looking.