Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Re: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Man, it's been a while since my last post, apologies! I hope everyone had good holidays/New Year! I've been working on a few different things over the past few weeks, so here we go~

First off - I was commissioned to paint a Vindicare. I've since finished him but haven't gotten around to uploading the final photos yet. So in the meantime here's some WiPs of it!

I also got my hands on Canoness Veridyan, but I decided that I really needed to fix her pose and ditch the ridiculous high heels. I still need to add more detailing to her feet, but she looks a bit more comfortable now at least!

Also getting close to finishing Geigor! Just his base, his right arm and a few other bits and pieces to do.

Finally, I've started on the new 40k Ahriman as well (because I forgot I was still working on Geigor at one point, oops). Just the white of his robe's done so far.

As always, let me know what you think!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Project Log || Skitsmix Miniatures Gallery & Commission Information || Facebook

Looking forward to see what you do with Ahriman, I always thought the versions with white robes look way better than burgundy.

Plus that new sculpt is just awesome.

@Aryllon: Thank you! Yeah, I've always much preferred the white robes to the burgundy or any other colour, too. I'm looking forward to painting him, it's such a nifty sculpt!

Anyway, I finally got around to photographing the BoP Ahriman properly, enjoy!

As always, please let me know what you think!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great painting, I think the cloak is stunning.

@Student: Thank you! :D

And now for an update - I finished Geigor Fell-Hand and got him photographed pretty quickly for once, just in time for the launch of Inferno!

Let me know what you think! :D

So, a bit more progress!

I've been working on sculpting a new head for the legion herald, and apart from a bit of sanding to smooth out a rough spot or two, I think she's finally finished! For my first real attempt at sculpting any kind of face and long hair, I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out.

I also finished Ahriman's book:

and started work on his helmet:

...but I got distracted halfway through highlighting the bone on his horns because I decided I wanted to try and make a brush holder. XD

So here it is, my cheap-ass brush holder made from the spiral wire from an old spiral notebook, and leftover sprue!

It's not the prettiest thing, and time will tell how sturdy it actually is, but so far it gets the job done.

Here's a bit of a closer look at where I drilled through the corners of the support sprue and threaded the wire through to help hold it in place:

As always, let me know what you think!

Hi all! I've had several people asking how I painted my 30k Ahriman's galaxy cloak, so I finally got around to doing a tutorial on the general method with my 40k Ahriman (although I think I went a little overboard on the density of stars with this guy, oops). Anyway, here we go:

1. Black base! Although any kind of really dark colour would probably work.

2. Dapple on your first dark colour (in this case red), in the general area/pattern you want your galaxy effect in. For this one, I decided to try a spiral galaxy effect rather than a more random nebulae like I used on my 30k Ahriman. Make sure your paintís fairly thin, and you can let it pool in certain areas to get some variation in coverage. It helps to have reference pictures!

3. Continue with whatever other dark colours you want to use - for this example, I went with pretty much the full spectrum just to demonstrate the different colours and transitions between them.

4. Once those are dry, start dappling thin layers of brighter colours a little more sparsely over the previous colours. You also donít have to stay entirely on the previous layer, itís okay to go over onto the black areas as well. In this particular photo, Iíve only done some red/orange and some green so far.

5. Continue dappling those brighter colours on! Here Iíve continued with teal, purple, more red, and blue. Make sure your paintís thin enough that itís still a little translucent - you can also push it around a bit to leave it thinner in some areas and more concentrated in others.

6. Keep building up thin layers of brighter colours over the previous layers. In this pic Iíve moved on to orange and yellow over the previous red areas.

7. I kind of skipped ahead a little here and continued on right up to white in just the central area of the spiral.

8. Once youíre up to the brightest colours, just start dotting it on in individual spots, rather than dapples like before. Here Iíve done the green, teal and blue. Make sure to rest your hand often if it start cramping up!

9. Here Iíve continued on with the violet, red, orange and yellow dots.

10. Finally, carefully dot on white paint for the brightest stars, including a few larger ones with added little shine lines. Try not to go too overboard with them though (like I did here, oops) - leave some areas with not as many stars.

If youíve only used two or three colours (instead of a whole spectrum like I did here), you can also use a wash over the whole thing to help tie the different areas of colour together, then go over it with some more white dots again. I did this on my 30k Ahriman with a blue wash, since all the colours I used in that one had blue in them. You can also go back with the black to add in some more random patches with less stars to help break things up a little.

Anyway, thatís pretty much it! It does take a while (I think I spent about five hours overall on this, though it wouldíve gone a lot faster if I wasnít using so many different colours and also not stopping regularly to take photos). I hope it helps, and please let me know if you have any questions! :D

Chapter Master Garanaul the Black's Avatar
    In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D.....

Wow, nice effect!
    We saved Mystery Science Theater 3000! Season 11 is on Netflix NOW!

SEASON 12 WAS CONFIRMED AT THE VERY END OF THE TURKEY DAY MARATHON! *swoon*

It's on Random: A mostly CSM PLOG

Yeah, I really like that cloak and its doesn't seem too hard to do (which I mean as a complement; if I didn't see the individual stages I'd assume it was far too complex to attempt)

Kudos dear boy. Kudos indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Veteran Sergeant

I really enjoy the shared theme for your 30k to 40k Ahriman. The Nebulous to Spiral Galaxy is a nice touch, and your result is brilliant.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

I love this nod to the old crazy-painted official Ahriman in the cape. Very nice.

Hey everyone, and thank you all for the comments! Sorry about the lack of updates lately, but I finally finished painting the new Ahriman model! I adjusted his cloak some - the sheer density of stars was bugging me, so hopefully it looks better now.

I spent way too long on this one, ugh. Let me know what you think!

Commander

WOW stunning, a real treat for the eyes!

@nitromors: Thank you!

Whoops, it's been a while since my last update, apologies! I started taking miniature commissions earlier this year, which has been keeping my spare time pretty occupied! For anyone interested, here's my commissions Facebook page!

So anyway, aside from commissions, the latest model I've finished after Ahriman is the limited edition Canoness Veridyan. I modified the feet and her right leg to something a little more comfortable looking, and I also experimented with a new technique for painting NMM gold. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out!

For the rest of her pics, check them all out here!

Let me know what you think!

Commander

Very impressive stuff, keep it coming

@nitromors: Thank you! I'm definitely gonna try to keep it coming!

Here's some of the models I'll be working on painting next - all of them for my 30k Thousand Sons army, of course.

Hopefully next time I post I'll have a bit more painting progress to show! As always, let me know what you think

I'm finally back again with another completed Thousand Son - this time it's a converted Collector's Edition space marine terminator captain, with a custom-made khopesh and book, both made from plasticard. I'm pretty pleased with how the freehand on his pauldrons and cloak came out!

More pics of Nadim here.

Let me know what you think!

Oh cripes, it's been a while since my last post, apologies! Life got a little hectic, especially after I tore a bunch of ligaments and majorly bruised the bones in my ankle back in July. x_x Fortunately I didn't need hospitalisation or surgery, and it's recovering pretty well, but I'm still looking at another three more months until I can even think about getting back to sports, blargh.

I've also been busy lately with doing commission painting - if you're interested, please check out my Facebook page! I'll keep this thread for showing my own WiP stuff though, unless enough people request otherwise! XD

It looks like I forgot to post Nadim here when I posted him in my Showcase, oops! This guy managed to win me not one, but two local painting comps, so I'm pretty pleased with him, especially the freehand.

Also! I recently got myself a pretty decent webcam, and I've been playing around with some painting vids and such. I don't have much yet - painting around the camera is a pain in the ass and I'm still getting used to it, and I also need to get some better lighting. I do intend on eventually doing some tutorial videos though! Here's my Youtube channel - let me know if there's any specific stuff you'd like to see me cover!

Now onto actual WiP stuff! XD Unfortunately because of commission work, I haven't had much time to work on my own stuff, but here's my progress since last post:

My converted chaplain from the BaC box! He's almost finished, I just need to do some freehand on his cloak. The glaive blade could be better but I ran out of craps to give. XD

I'm also experimenting with how I want to paint the new Rubricae! This is the only one I've done anything with so far though - the blue is done pretty much entirely with drybrushing, so it's pretty quick and easy!

I haven't done much with the gold or anything else yet, but let me know what you think so far!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13