Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Re: A Thousand Sons: Pre- and Post-Heresy Log

Both, if thats possible!

@ Sunshine and Night: I don't have a drawing of Khenti yet, but here's the model I use for him! Hopefully I'll have a pic in a week or so.

Anyway, update! Alas, not much progress so far - I've been busy with other things lately. Still, have some pics of what little I have managed to get done so far.

Bike! Arms and weapon greenstuff'd on finally, weapon details added. A little bit more painting done too, aheh.

Added custom detailing to another terminator torso, again based on reference pics from the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions artbook.

And some more Thousand Sons heads showing a couple of various states of progress! The top-middle/bottom-right head is actually for my biker, the other two are for the terminators. Still more to do on them, but waiting for the latest greenstuff to dry atm. Blegh. I hate waiting for greenstuff to dry.

And now for the reason why I haven't done much work on these lately - here's what I've been working on instead. Showing them 'cause they're relevant to this thread, hehehe. Click on the pics for descriptions and stuff!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Project Log || Skitsmix Miniatures Gallery & Commission Information || Facebook

Commander

Sweet work. I've seen this pics at deviantart

@Sunshine & Night: Here you go, a drawing of Khentimentiu. And Usi as well on the left, just because. XD

@horacus: Thank you!

A quick question for those watching this thread - are you all cool with me continuing to post whatever drawings/paintings I do in here as well, or would it be better for me to have a separate thread for that stuff?

Anyway, back to the actual WIP models. Again, not much of an update on them, alas. Though I'm getting close to the point where I can actually start painting the damn things!

Heads pretty much finished! Just some sanding and tidying up to do once the greenstuff's dry. First three are for the terminators, right-most one is for the bike. Still have one more head to do, then all the terminator heads are done!

And something else, to make up for lack of actual WIP progress. I was at Games Day Australia last year, and participated in one of their speed painting competitions. Painted this guy up in an hour, and won that particular round with him. I'll probably tidy him up at some point, but he can wait for a while, heh.

Hopefully I'll have another, more substantial update soon!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely love your pre-heresy Thousand Sons. A whole army like that would look amazing .

Thanks! Hopefully one day I will have a whole army of them. It'll probably be a rather small army, but still! XD

Finally, a bit of noticeable progress! Here's Zuberi, all put together and half-painted. I almost forgot about the hanging cloth from the pauldrons - the greenstuff for them is still drying, hence why they're not basecoated yet. Still, getting there!

And something else I've been working on - I picked up one of those 40k starter boxes with the five marines and paints, mostly for the paints. However, the poor speed-painted guy I posted earlier needed a squad! So. Have another pre-Heresy Son. He's still not finished yet - I need to do his eye lenses and give him a few washes, and base him of course! But here's some step by step progress shots anyway.

I'll drill out the bolter barrel at some point too. And that bloody symbol never gets any easier to paint, sigh.

This is really some nice work dude. This thread is so subscribed. Keep up the great work youve begun here.

Commander

Freaking awsome pal. They look sweet.

Thanks for the comments! I certainly intend to keep it up, hehe. Though I'm starting classes again next week, so updates may become even more sporadic, alas. We shall see!

Anyway, another short update for now. These two are almost finished, just a few more touch-ups here and there.

Just need to do the haft of his hammer and some highlighting on the gold parts. And base him, of course. Though I have no idea what to do with his base yet. I also realised that, as awesome as the shoulderpads look... there's really not much room on them for icons, whoops. Oh well.

Couple of minor touch-ups needed, and also need to paint the screen on his dashboard still, though you can't see it in these pics. :P

And this guy is finished, though looking at the photos it looks like I'll have to touch up some bits where paint rubbed off, damnit. And I'll admit I'm not happy with the base. Will probably end up re-basing him at some point - gonna see how the rest of his squad turns out first. I'll take proper lightbox pics of him when the rest of the squad is done.

Any comments and feedback appreciated, as always!

Commander

They look damn great

Excellent work - very impressed. Is your longterm goal to create the units themed on each of the cults, Pavoni, Pyrae, Corvidae etc

Thank you both!

@pedromondew: Not really, heh. The sergeants/aspiring sorcerers of each of my Thousand Sons troop squads are all different cults, but that doesn't affect the Rubricae, just the sorcerers. The Terminators are also all different cult members - my Terminator Lord/Sorcerer is Corvidae, then there's one Athanaean, one Pyrae, one Pavoni and two Raptora in this current Terminator squad. Their armour and helmet designs are influenced by which cult they belong to though - mostly based on art from the Collected Visions book.

Trying to make entire squads based on each cult would probably drive me (even more) insane. XD Just these five are taking me forever as it is, hehehe. Nah, my next big project that I have in mind is to convert my box of grey knight terminators into another squad of Thousand Sons terminators, except with red armour instead of blue. I haven't come up with their characters yet though, so I'm not sure which cults will be in that one, or exactly how much converting I'll do with them.

Have a finished bike, (somewhat) properly photographed!

Had a bit of a fright with this guy - was putting the finishing touches on the base when I accidentally dropped him onto my tiled floor - and heard him shatter. D: Fortunately, only the weapon broke off (which it has a habit of doing anyway) and the bike popped off the base. No noticeable damage to the paint job, and he was easily fixed. Still, heart attack. D:

Edit: Here, have a quick photo manipulation, just 'cause. XD

Last edited by Skits; 19-02-2012 at 07:57.

That's really cool. I like the tyre tracks in the snow.

Commander

Really sweet work

Thanks all!

Managed to get some more done on the weekend, and some base painting done today before I ran off to my blood donation, but didn't have time to upload/post until now.

I've got a lo~ve~ly bunch of termie heads, doodlie doot doo, there they are all standing in a row... Not finished yet, obviously, but close!

Blue and gold on my second Terminator done! Getting there slowly. This guy will have the head on the right from the previous pic.

Basing! The red guy's gonna have his base painted up as snow/ice, while the chap in blue will have... well, you'll see in a second! Or a minute or two, depending on your net speed.

Better look at the greenstuff work on the termi base.

And Zuberi is now finished! At least until I find something I've forgotten, or something I want to fiddle with, heh. I'll take proper photos once the whole squad's done. Might touch up the stone on the base at some point too, but it'll do for now.
    Last edited by Skits; 22-02-2012 at 09:04.

Quick little update.

Second terminator, Jabari, is pretty much done! I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the same power weapon effects on the glaive blade that I did on Zuberi's mace, or if I want to try something different, or leave it as it is. Decisions, decisions.

Jabari and Zuberi, showing off their matching bases!

And another pre-heresy tactical marine in progress - showing mostly for the base. I think this is the sort of basing I'll go for with my pre-heresy guys. Might add a tiny bit of snow flocking to it, but most likely not.

Awesome work. I really like the lava flow bases.

Thanks! Using photo reference makes 'em a lot easier to make, hehe. They're good fun.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast