Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread: New Citadel Paints (Was Gossip - GW paints to be discontinued in march)

Re: New Citadel Paints (Was Gossip - GW paints to be discontinued in march)

Quote Originally Posted by ac4155 View Post
    Sorry if this has been said before, but have they solved the problem the last lot had with the lids not staying open?
    It's always such a pain trying to paint with the lids constantly half closing, really slows the process down.
    you should probably transger the paint onto a pallette to slow drying of the pot...

It's been a few days but I thought the pots I was trying out in the store did not stay open? I might be wrong. Also, are the lids really different in terms of the seal? I picked up a few pots from the existing range and they seemed similar to demo pots of the new range. Did I miss something?

There are new lids on the majority of the pots, but some still have the old style due to them being unable to get enough of the new ones in quick enough.

And the dry paints will take the most practice out of all of them. Writing them off after one go is a bit of a snap judgement, the first time I used it I treated it like I was just drybrushing with the old style paints and didnt think much of it.

However using a lot less on the brush, and really working it into the bristles on a piece of kitchen towel, it gives a really nice, blended finish very very quickly.

The shades and glazes had new pots that stayed open, the remainder did not. Looks like I'll always know where my brush cover is...
    SG

Epic: Armageddon
    Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    naaa I disagree there, the textures are not good enough for basing on their own. you still need the old sand and paint etc... other wise it just looks too one dimensional imo. Though I have only treid teh sandy colour one. There is a snow one as well i believe and that could be interesting.
    For me, the trouble is that people were applying it in one go, then calling the base finished "wow, so easy!" thye would cry (but it looks awful!). Give the textured paint a drybrush of a lighter colour, or even paint black and then your own colours, and it's the same as sand, but with a little variation to they texture (and easier to avoid "sinking in sand syndrome").

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrar Ghost View Post
    Drys: I really don't like these, and won't be getting any. I understand what GW tried to do; I've noticed partly dried paints are easier to drybrush with too. But they are too gummy to use effectively. Negative.
    Hmm, to me the "gummyness" is not an issue, as it's meant to be put onto a pallete and flattened out, the same as normal drybrushing, not applied to the model still gummy. The effect works well when almost all the paint is brushed off, and applied lightly, with progressive coats. Where it will be useless is when people use "wet drybrush" techniques, and I guess I'll just use normal paint when I don't want it totally dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sophet Drahas View Post
    Are they true pinks? Can't believe I missed that. Can't check at the moment, away from a computer for the next several hours.
    I haven't seen them in person, but from the website they are certainly pink, but not as light as the Drybrush colour. I would think that mixing them with a little white is easier than trying to water down the drybrush colour though, if you want something lighter.
    Though my guards may sleep and ships may lie at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you really want to see a god of murder, keep going with the off topic

Quote Originally Posted by zoggin-eck View Post
    For me, the trouble is that people were applying it in one go, then calling the base finished "wow, so easy!" thye would cry (but it looks awful!). Give the textured paint a drybrush of a lighter colour, or even paint black and then your own colours, and it's the same as sand, but with a little variation to they texture (and easier to avoid "sinking in sand syndrome").
    hmmm...how about sand AND texture? might be interesting results

The shades and glazes had new pots that stayed open, the remainder did not. Looks like I'll always know where my brush cover is...
    All of the new pots will have the new lid eventually. They had a problem with getting enough of the new version at the factory to get enough made for release apparently.

Good info. The new pots are a step forward from the old. Seem to seal better, and stay open.
    SG

Epic: Armageddon
    Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Good info. The new pots are a step forward from the old. Seem to seal better, and stay open.
    More importantly they have a crocodile tooth seal so they're completely air tight on the shelf. Not going to get any pots that have been at the back of the rack for 4 years and gone a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    I haven't seen them in person, but from the website they are certainly pink, but not as light as the Drybrush colour. I would think that mixing them with a little white is easier than trying to water down the drybrush colour though, if you want something lighter.
    There is no pink.
    You will still have to go to another paint range for a decent pink.
    Or get some of the old tentacle pink on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.

If you look for a true pink, use Squid Pink from VGC. Excellent paint and a very close match to old Tentacle Pink. If you need to go even lighter, use Carneval Pink from Formula P3, which also makes a great highlighting colour for Squid Pink.
    Visit Tale of Painters - the hobby blog of Garfy, Rev, Sigur, Stahly, ThirdEyeNuke and Xoxtile!
    We're blogging about collecting and painting armies, with daily updates of WIP models and showcases of finished pieces for your inspiration. We also post extensive tutorials and reviews!
    Latest Posts: Tutorial: How to paint Sons of Horus / Review: Warhammer 7th Edition / Tutorial: How to paint Tau / Tutorial: How to paint Dark Elves

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
    There is no pink.
    Because Pink Horror and Emperor's children arent pinks at all ?

Coat D'arms has a nice shocking pink
    Eldar - Fear The Rainbow!

My Eldar Painting Log (including Revenant/Phantom/Super Heavies) or direct gallery
    - random selection of 16 years painting Eldar

Marble Theory - a PC game made by me!

There is no pink.
    No, unless my monitor is all kinds of messed up (Warseer is meant to be black and blue, right?) then I'm pretty sure there are pinks. Are they the shade of pink you want? Maybe not, but there are pinks. They even made a point of mentioning how there were pinks in the range again when the paints launched.
    Though my guards may sleep and ships may lie at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you really want to see a god of murder, keep going with the off topic

I'd say Pink Horror and Emporer's Children are magenta and light magenta paints. Changeling Pink is a true pink, but only a Drybrush paint. This seems to be a problem of the new range in general - most the lightest tones can only be found in the Dry Compounds, unsuitable for regular painting. So for that final extreme highlight you still need to mix paints, unless you want to ruin your carefully built up paintjob with dusty drybrushed highlights.
    Visit Tale of Painters - the hobby blog of Garfy, Rev, Sigur, Stahly, ThirdEyeNuke and Xoxtile!
    We're blogging about collecting and painting armies, with daily updates of WIP models and showcases of finished pieces for your inspiration. We also post extensive tutorials and reviews!
    Latest Posts: Tutorial: How to paint Sons of Horus / Review: Warhammer 7th Edition / Tutorial: How to paint Tau / Tutorial: How to paint Dark Elves

Therre is no pink in the GW paint range.
    Get over it.
    The nearest they have to a genuine pink is in the dry section but it's only a dry brush paint.
    I can do better than your monitor BA, I've seen the paints and tested them and yes, the base range is superb and the layer range is ok and the washes are excellent but there is NO PINK in the regular paint range.
    Have you got it yet ???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.

Therre is no pink in the GW paint range.
    Get over it.
    The nearest they have to a genuine pink is in the dry section but it's only a dry brush paint.
    This is a pink though. Its not a pale pink, but it is definately a pink.

It does seem a little odd that they don't have a pale pink in their range, but to say they have no pinks at all is wrong. Its just a deep colour. Also, for a painter of any reasonable experience, mixing a pot of white with their pink would yield a similar colour to tentacle pink. So that's always on the cards, if not a perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by stahly View Post
    This seems to be a problem of the new range in general - most the lightest tones can only be found in the Dry Compounds, unsuitable for regular painting.
    Can anyone confirm that the dry paints are no good for regular painting? If you add matt medium, or even water, can you restore them to some measure of usefulness?
    Mentor Legion Army Blog (Complete)
    Orks in four systems (40K, AI, BFG, Epic)
    BFG: 100% sold
    AI: 100% sold
    40K: selling
    Epic: keeping for now
    Currently working on other stuff.

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

I read a review elsewhere in which the writer attempted to turn the dry paints into a suitable basecoat and came to the conclusion that it would not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

There is no pink.
    I worked with Emperors Children today. It's pink. Slightly darker than tentacle, but if brushed with Changeling pink... looks awesome.

I also tried the complete dry range. Golden Griffon is just pure gold.
    We both read the rumour, day and night,
    but you read black where I read white.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    (After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.

Page 49 of 58 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast