Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonahmaul's Various Painting Projects

Jonahmaul's Various Painting Projects

So I've been thinking of starting a project log for a while now and seeing as it's a new year now seemed like a good time. I am currently working on two armies, a Nurgle themed Ogre army and a Brazen Claw Space Marine. I figured that a project log would be a good way to keep everything together and get any feedback on my different projects. Another reason is that each of these projects also has a different aim which are detailed briefly below.

Nurgle themed Ogre Kingdoms - I've wanted an Ogre army since they first came out but I wanted to do something a bit different. My idea was to either do a blue skinned army based around frost giants from D & D (my Dark Elf army has all black skin based on Drow) or to do the Nurgle theme which I eventually decided on. My aims for this army are to get better at using green stuff as I plan on doing quite a few boils/puckered skin/matted fur etc. and also I plan on giving the army some proper background/story (something I've not really done before) after being inspired by this army by Jackdaw

Brazen Claw Space Marines - ever since selling my Blood Angels about 10 years ago I've intended to do another Space Marine army and I've been (very) slowly painting some stuff for this over the past couple of years but plan on making more of an effort to get it painted. My aims for this army are quite simple and hard at the same time. I generally paint to a decent table top standard but I want this army to be my standout army so am spending a bit more time painting these so that they look as good as possible.

So anyway, that's all my waffle. Have included some pictures which show where I am with the armies at the moment or in the case of the Brazen Claws what I'm going to be working on next (will put some pictures up of what I've already painted soon).

Thanks for showing an interest and hopefully I'll be updating this fairly regularly with some progress.
    Last edited by Jonahmaul; 26-10-2012 at 19:05. Reason: No Skaven No More!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Re: Jonah's finally started a PLOG

Nice looking stuff. The vomitting ogre should be called "The barf heard 'round the world"

Finally. Bout time you got a plog started Your Dow-Dark elves are really nice mate so I already know you'll be putting out some quality stuff here. Looking forward to the ogres mostly, they are looking good so far. The 'blower' is a great conversion, I pity the poor sod who takes that in the face.

Cheers! Been back in Cardiff almost a week and off to the in-laws tomorrow evening but an update to come soon!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

So, this isn't really a proper update but here's some more pictures of my Brazen Claws that I had on my hard drive. First of all my army commander and dreadnought (I love dreadnought models and the final army will have three in it).
    Last edited by Jonahmaul; 19-01-2012 at 11:04.

And the one tactical marine squad I have finished and my assault squad that just need basing. When I get around to doing some more basing the tactical squad will also get some snow over their feet and on the bottom of their legs, after all they are massive power armored space marines and would probably make a bit of mess as they walked through it!

For those two of you that have commented and are by default following this PLOG (such as it is) here's some pictures. Finally got around to doing some basing for my marines plus some pictures of my scouts and Librarian. I still need to do some patches of snow on the legs of my tactical squad like I've done on these but this took me a while so I didn't have time! Just have to finish basing the latest three Ogre's and then move on to something else. Not sure what yet though, maybe a devestator squad and some Iron guts. Anyways, cheers for watching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2577.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	133463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2579.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	133464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2580.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	133465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2581.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	133466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2582.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	133467  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2583.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	133468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2584.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	133469  

They look nice man! Good bases and nicely painted marines.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Thanks SD. Woohoo, three people following (sort of!).

The last two ogre attachments can't be viewed other than as preview. They look good though. Any chance that you'd want to upload them in a new post?
    korinth

... is converting and painting an Ogres blood bowl team at the moment. Next in line is a lo-fi themed Dark Elves team and then Norse.

I had noticed that, not entirely sure why it happened. I've just got to finish the bases on the command group to go with those guys so once that's done I'll take new photos and upload them. Thanks for showing an interest =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    Woohoo, three people following (sort of!).
    Haha, yeah, it takes a while to gather visitors on new logs
    I've been subbed since January though, so there are probably a lot more people following than there are commenting
    The commander is a strong paint job, with good eyes (which is probably why I subbed in the first place). The face and eyes of the Tactical squad Sergeant are very good too. That stuff can really make or break a character model.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Pfff average stuff......

I am of course joking. Kudos for taking on a quartered colour scheme on your Asartes - I tried it once and barely completed a combat squad. It's a lovely smooth finish you've got on the armour as well and the work on the characters faces is great. The snow on the bases looks pretty good as well, I've always been a little hesitant about it in the past but may have to give it a go at some point.

Quit messing around with computer games and get some more done!

Thanks for the kinds words everybody, I hope to finish the bases on the Ogres this evening and will try to post pictures otherwise it won't be until after the weekend as I'm off to the in-laws.

Jackdaw - not really playing any games at the moment! Just struggling to find time, hard work being a student you know!

Next up to paint is going to be Ironguts for the Ogres and I'm not sure what for the marines. Either a Vindicator, A Devestator Squad (4 HB's - horde death!) or a Terminator squad. I think you guys should vote on which! They won't be started until next week so whichever has the most shouts will be what I do!

OK folks, as promised here's an update of the Ogre's. Reload of the pictures that only uploaded as previews before plus the command group that I've finished. Any comments are appreciated.

Name:	DSCF2474.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	134563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2473.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	134564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2472.JPG 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	134565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2587.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	134557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2588.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	134558  

Name:	DSCF2589.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	134559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2590.JPG 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	134560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2591.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	134561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2593.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	134562  

OK folks, another update even if it does feel like I'm talking to myself a little! Built the first of my Maneaters last night and have attached pictures. It's a WIP at the moment as need to do a little more GS around the back of head and the two arms on the right side and will also need to do patches of fur around the shoulders/back but that shouldn't take long. My Maneaters are all going to be converted unless GW release some good ones soon as I think the current miniatures are crap! Also, these aren't going to be painted with the Nurgle theme that the rest of the army is as I think this will make them appear more like they've been hired and also give me the chance to paint something a little different for the army. I've also written my first bit of fluff for the army which relates to this guy and here it is:

Therath 'Squeak' Bonebuster.

Therath and Karkark Bonebuster were born twins, a rarity in the Ogre world, their father the Tyrant Vavork Bonebuster the Great. As the youngest of a large brood their fight to the top of the tribe was long and unusually for Ogre’s they developed a bond with each other that meant they could not bring themselves to kill the other. So it was that they decided to set out and see the world, hiring themselves out to whoever could provide the most food and the best fights. Over many years they fought for Empire counts, Orc chieftains, Barbarians fighting under the flag of some strange god, and even some pointy eared things with skin that was almost black. Eventually they found themselves far to the south in Lustria where they fought for a fat toad thing against the rats it called Ataxa. The rat things made poor food but there were other, more exotic, tastes that kept them in the jungle. However, one day the unthinkable happened and Therath was brought down in battle after fighting many crazy rat things. Karkark was mad with rage and killed many of the rats in his grief but after the battle even the exotic foods could no longer keep him close to the place where his twin had fell and he set off back to the Old World.

What Karkark did not know, however, was that Therath had not been killed, and a flicker of life still existed within him. This was recognised by the Skaven Plague Priest Uglug the Pestilant who had his monks take Therath back to their lair so he could experiment on this new enemy. Therath proved very resilient to Uglug’s diseases, much to the Priest’s frustration, and in the end he was traded to Rurduk, an emissary of Clan Moulder who recognised the creature as similar to their own brutal Rat Ogres. Taken to Skavenblight by secret tunnels known only to the Skaven, Therath was given over to the Master Moulders who set about turning this latest captive into an unstoppable killing machine. This proved remarkably successful, even for the Master Moulders who were used to creating such monstrosities. But, unknown to them, was that Therath had retained some of his previous personality yet the merging with the rats had given him a level of cunning and intelligence previously not possessed. Whilst still not intelligent by the standards of your average goblin it did allow Therath to form a plan and after he was unleashed in his first battle he made his escape, an escape that was remarkably easy given the rat creatures propensity to run away from where the fighting was happening. Thus it is that Therath ‘Squeak’ Bonebuster, as he became known, lives and continues to hire himself out to whoever can offer the best food as he roams the Old World attempting to be reunited with Karkark.

As you can see from the story I've included the start of the fluff for my second Maneater Karkark who will be LM based. I've made the fluff tie in with several of my WFB armies too as thought this would give it a bit more personality. As usual, any comments appreciated.

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	134818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	134819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	134820  
    Last edited by Jonahmaul; 07-03-2012 at 10:11.

OK folks. Very quick update for those still watching. Did some GS on Therath last night to give him some fur patches. Need to do a little bit more in between the two right hand arms which I'll hopefully do tonight and then he's ready to spray once the weather is ok. Got distracted painting some Dark Elves as fed up with my Hydra being painted and the handlers sat on my desk waiting for some love so I've been doing them! Will post pictures once I've got them finished abd based (will base the Hydra at the same time too).

Name:	DSCF2599.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	135208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2600.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	135209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2601.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	135210  

Ogres are looking good mate, glad to see that skin recipe of mine worked out alright. The GS looks good as well, it's always been an area I haven't been too comfortable with myself. Get some more stuff done you slacker

Cheers dude. Yeah, GS is an area I've never been very good or confident with so I challenged myself to try and use it with this army. To be fair the fur was pretty easy to do. Unfortunately I only manage to grab 45mins - 1 hour to do hobby stuff and even then it's not every day so my progress is slow! But it's still progress!

Quick update. Not any of the three armies that I said this PLOG was for but as I said previously these guys had been sat on my desk waiting to be finished for a good while now so I've painted the handlers and based them along with the Hydra. I've undercoated the Skaven Maneater (it's not a rat-ogre!!!) so I'll either be painting that, a couple of converted harpies or a vindicator next (or maybe a combination of those!). Comments and criticisms welcomed. Be really interested in hearing what people think about the Maneater fluff too. I do lots of writing but it's all academic stuff and this is the very first time I've ever written any fluff for an army so I'd love some feedback. Even if it's criticisms that can only point me in the right direction for future fluff so please be honest!

Name:	DSCF2602.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	135836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2603.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	135837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2604.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	135838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2605.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	135839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2606.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	135840  

Name:	DSCF2607.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	135841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2608.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	135842  

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast