Page 1 of 274 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official WarSeer Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition discussion thread

Official WarSeer Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition discussion thread

The full summary is now too long for this one post. The full summary can be found here

For discussion of the contents of the 6th edition starter set, see here

A summary appears below.

Rules changes

20 June 2011

Space Wolves blog posted a bunch of stuff. Many of these match up with stuff from the “leaked” PDF, so it can be assumed they were either its inspiration, or this series of posts was somehow laying groundwork for the “leak”

Bloodofkittens user Rideroftheerk posted a bunch of stuff from around July 2011 which you can read for yourself:

http://bloodofkittens.com/network/me...rideroftheerk/

http://bloodofkittens.com/network/me...ctivity/14767/

http://bloodofkittens.com/network/me...ctivity/14713/

http://bloodofkittens.com/network/me...ctivity/14616/

13 Jan 2012

Frontline Gaming claimed the "leaked" rule-set was legitimate and "the culmination of a master plan that has been in the works for years."

The claim is that 6th would see "a move towards a core rule set that they can rely on for a long period of time, updating with FAQ’s and Erratas as needed."

StraightSilver posted the following on 15 Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    The rumours I have heard are:

The game will have a much heavier concentration on infantry, which will become far more effective and more viable (to try to steer players from mechanised armies - 5th was edition of the transport, 6th is edition of the basic trooper)

Force organisation slots will go in favour of percentages as in earlier editions of 40K / Fantasy.

Shooting with infantry will be far more effective. If stationary troops will be able to fire twice at long range, 3 times at close range.

These were all rumours (and probably just that) I had heard before the supposed leaked rules, but the leaked rules seem to back these rumours up.

Of course these rumours have been around for a while and it's possible they could have been incorporated into the leaked rules, assuming they are a hoax.
    29 April 2012

The following was posted on Faeit 212 from "Grant":

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    *Vehicles use "hull points" in 6th. If a vehicle has 3 hull points it will die after 3 shaken results, but it can still explode after 1 shot as normal.

*All cc weapons have AP values in 6th similar to what was in the fake 6th ed rule book leak.

*There are going to be no different levels of Eternal Warrior either.
    Faeit 212 aslo posted the following, likely gathered from other sites:

Quote Originally Posted by Faeit 212
    -Hardcover book (just like Fantasy army books)

6th Edition

-Many of the general concepts from magic from Warhammer Fantasy are coming to Warhammer 40,000.

-There will be "lore equivalents"

-Psychic powers will be generated randomly by psykers (like fantasy)

-Entirely new rules for constructing army lists (~Look at Fantasy for hints)

-The FOC may be history
    5 May 2012

Blood of Kittens posted that there would be certain fluff changes whereby the Ultramarines were charged by the Emperor with protecting an "unknown race" who were "resistant to Chaos" and would therefore somehow save humainty.

The also claimed the following changes:

Quote Originally Posted by Blood of Kittens
    *Every unit gets a 6+ save vs. all Psychic Powers.

*Random Charge Lengths are in

*Pre-measuring is in.

*Random Battle field effects are in.

*All armies can purchase buildings for placement on the battlefield.

*Psychic powers are selected during deployment. (except Grey Knights)

*Deployment and Missions types have doubled.
    This was topped off with a claim that allies would return, specifically saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Blood of Kittens
    That is right allies are back in and this will be according to fluff and will have certain restrictions. So for instance Tyranids will not have any allies. Tau with all Space Marine Chapters. Necrons with Blood Angels. Imperial Guard with Space Marines. Chaos Space Marines with Demons. If it fits the fluff it will be done.
    Captain Idaho points out that this information seems to be designed specifically to fit around certain recent contravercial fluff pieces, saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Idaho View Post
    Of course, we all know some rubbish could be made up to solve the "problem" but I call bunk on this one. It's just a "Hater" making up rubbish to troll people based upon internet reaction to Calgar letting some Tau evacuate a planet about to be destroyed. Same as people reacted badly to Blood Angels teaming up with Necrons (ignoring the fact they just stopped shooting at each other and withdrew) and now we have a rumour from the same source that Blood Angels can ally with Necrons.
    6 May 2012

The following was posted on Faeit 212 from "Grant"

Snap fire - allows a unit to shoot at an attacking unit at bs 1 prior to being assaulted.

Rhino's have 3 hull points, Landraiders and the defiler have 4. Any damage chart result other than wrecked or explodes will take 1 hull point away.

HQ's can now challenge each other just like in fantasy. This must be accepted by opponent or is played normal. HQ that wins, wins the assault for his unit
    9 May 2012

Bell of Lost Souls posts the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Bell of Lost Souls
    -There will be at least 4+ "Disciplines" of Psychic Powers in the game. (WFB has 8 lores)
    -Disciplines seem to fall roughly along the lines of the sects described in the novel "A Thousand Sons" as used by the Heresy-Era chapter.
    -Each Discipline will have a "Default" power and a set of others that you will roll for each game.
    -Number of rolls you get and the the exact details of which powers you end up with are said to be similar to WFB 8th's power selection mechanic.
    -Powers have a "Casting Cost" that is different from the mechanic used in WFB 8th.
    -Certain 6th Codices will add additional racial specific Disciplines.
    17 May 2012

In this video, Beasts of War claim that shooting wound allocation will change to require players to allocate wounds to models closest to the shooters first.

18 May 2012

theLastWulfen claimed that:

Quote Originally Posted by theLastWulfen View Post
    Every battle report "this" year in the White Dwarf has used 6th edition rules.
    Analyze the battle reports and you will see the direction of the new 6th edition rules.
    They did the same with the 5th edition, it was really obvious with the Apocalypse books.
    Instead of all this wild speculation, examine and analyze the battle reports.
    Use analytical deduction rather than emotional reactivity.
    1 June 2012

BoLS reports that Close Combat weapon AP will be as follows:

Power Weapons: AP 3
    Power fists: AP 2
    Chainfists: AP 1

8 June 2012

The mysterious "Grant" was again quoted on Faeit 212 with some stuff pertaining to 6th edition:

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06...ffer.html#more

*I don't know if I mentioned it before but the "random terrain" is officially called "mysterious terrain"

*Some usr names in the codex are "strike down", "blind", and "un-weilding". Not sure what they do.

*There is a usr called "invisibility" that seems to have an affect on targeting a the unit and also effects assault.
    Games Workshop posted a teaser trailier on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nef_5gNkGfM implying something will happen on June 23. Most have assumed this will be pre-orders, which would support bramgaunt's rumoured release date of 30 June.

11 June 2012

Whitehat from DakkaDakka posted the following: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...4.page#4386918

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehat
    6th ed - a few morsels
    Random Charges are 2D6 pick the highest (unless going through Difficult Terrain where its 3D6 and you drop the highest.) Move through cover I believe adds an extra D6

Vehicles are WS0 if stationary, and WS1 if they move, no matter how far they go.

Vehicles go the same distance in the movement phase (I believe 6" and fire everything regardless if fast or not) but in the shooting phase can make an extra move (apparently some kept forgetting what vehicles moved to fast to fire...

Vehicles cannot contest (unsure if scoring units in transports can

6 Missions and 3 deployment types (2 of the deployments are the same as current, Spearhead & Pitched Battle.)

Troops are the only ones that can score (including of course 'scoring units')

5+ Cover save for most things including ruins.

Allies rules are in, but its meant to be for team games (ie separate force org chart, distrusted ally rules similar to Fantasy)

Percentages are *not* in

Wound Allocation is closest to furthest.

Dueling is similar to challenges in fantasy but contrary to earlier rumors, they don't replace Combat res, just add to sides. A IC can challenge another IC in the same combat even if not in base to base. If the defending IC refuses, he simply cannot attack that turn, if he does he counts as being in b2b and no one else can hurt him apart from the attacking IC. I'm guessing this is to offset the Wound Allocation rules

Preferred Enemy is including shooting and you may reroll wound rolls of a 1 (either shooting or combat)

Rapid Fire weapons may now can shoot at long range while moving. restriction on assaulting after rapid firing remains.

Jump Infantry get a free strike at I10 when they charge into combat

Psychic Power Decks using a dice system similar to Fantasy.

Flyers are in.

FNP drops to 5+ Save.
    He has since (12 June 2012) clarified the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehat
    I mistyped re: the cover saves. Ruins are 4+, the vast majority of stuff is 5+

I did not mistype WS1 for moving vehicles, they are not WS10 if they moved - flyers might be different; not sure.

Preferred Enemy change of reroll 1's to wound is in addition to current rules for Preferred Enemy

Flyers are noted in the BRB changing some of the existing vehicles (Summary sheet in the back)

Eldar Flyer, Void Raven and Tau I believe are in the same wave.
    12 June 2012

Darnok posted the following "from a birdy":

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    These come from a birdy, but I'd advise on heavy NaCl-usage...

AP are on ccw but he says power weapons are ap 2, not 3.
    When you charge it's double your move, infantry move 6, bikes 8 cav 7 etc.
    It's move assault then shooting now!
    Fnp is 5+.
    Master crafted ccw give you a 5+ invuln save
    When you shoot you roll to hit depending on the speed of your target. Fast vehicles you always need a 6.
    A unit can't claim a object while inside a vehicle.
    There's new kinds of instance death. If your say strengh 8 vs a space marine captain toughness 4 you only do 2 wounds! Strengh 5 or more would do 3 wounds & kill him.
    In kill point missions you get kill points based on what the units points cost, so for example a landraider would be worth 5 kill points & a unit of marines 3pts.
    19 June 2012

We have early summer, the birds are singing, and some have seen the new WD. Some changes reported as per new WD:

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy
    - Hull Points are in, it is stated that Ghost Arks, Land Raiders, and Defilers each have 4 Hull Points apiece. Necrons have the ability to strip hull points for each roll of a 6 to penetrate/glance vehicles, making rapid-firing gauss weaponry very powerful at removing armour.

- Speaking of rapid fire, you can indeed move and fire once up to the full range of the weapon (it is explicitly stated that Fire Warriors can fire their weapons up to 30" away), no confirmation on the 3x fire for Relentless at half range though.

- Assault moves are indeed 2d6", but added together. Units equipped with jump packs can re-roll the dice to see how far they charge.

- The Rage USR gives you +2 attacks on the charge

- All flying monstrous creatures have the ability to fly 24", doing something called a "Vector Strike", which is a certain amount of automatic hits to a unit they fly over, at the base strength of the creature.

- Monstrous creatures' attacks are explicitly AP 2

- Every army must select a "Warlord" or single general to lead the army, this leader gets an ability. They can choose between three different types of abilities, "Personal", "Inspirational" or "Strategic". They then roll on one of those charts to see what ability it is. The two examples given were a Grand Master giving all friendlies within 12" his Ld of 10 (Inspirational), and a Chaos Lord being a scoring unit (Personal, the ability itself was called "Immovable Object")

- Flyers are a specific type of unit, and it is somewhat unclear as to the rules for shooting at them. Either all units require a 6 to hit them (unless they have a special rule called Skyfire), or this is still the case but only if those flyers move flat-out. Monstrous creatures with the ability to Fly also get this "6-to-hit" rule.

- You have the ability to buy different terrain (it even has its own slot on the new FOC), e.g, you can buy a Bastion with a Quad-Gun (which has the aforementioned Skyfire USR). There seem to be quite a few options for what terrain you can buy, but naturally most of them are typically represented by terrain kits GW sells.

- Now we're on the topic of the FOC, the rules for allies weren't laid out specifically, but it is heavily implied that its not the same as in WHFB. They refer to allied units as "Detachments", and there is an example of a player with a Chaos Space Marine force having some detachments of Chaos Daemons in his army. Basically, I was given the impression that it is far more common (and frequent) for a detachment from another 40k army to join a larger one, than it is for a Fantasy army to have Allies. Think more along the lines of the Storm of Magic rules for using TK, VC, or Daemons.

- Here's a biggie: Units -can- go on Overwatch, giving them the ability to fire upon an enemy unit which charges them, but at BS 1. Eldar (and any other army with access to the Clairvoyance psychic power set) can use a psychic power to give a unit the ability to fire at their usual BS.

- Monstrous Creatures have access to a special "Smash" attack, allowing them to halve their attacks, but double their strength. It mentions that this gives them the ability to destroy tanks more easily.

- It's somewhat hinted that AP will have some kind of affect against vehicles. This is because part of the Munitorum dice set includes vehicle damage dice. It specifies that some of the dice are "AP 1, AP 2, and AP 3 Damage dice", or something to that effect.

- 4 Disciplines of Psychic powers, basically what we were thinking in terms of Clairvoyance, Biomancy, etc etc. There's a chart near the back of the WD detailing which (if any) psychic disciplines a particular army gains access to. It's interesting to see that a large amount of armies don't have access to any at all.
    And a second bit:

The leaked photo of the cover is correct, that is the new cover of the normal hardback rulebook. The collectors edition looks *******' sweet though, with amazing artwork and brass doodads, etc etc. The skull measuring tape is pretty cool too, and the munitorum dice come in a lasgun charge pack case, and are also pretty nicely designed. The special edition templates follow the Fantasy example of being somewhat visually-related to the game, except instead of faux-gold framing, they're faux-steel framed, with coruscating arcs of blue psychic fire spoking out from the middle of each (or the narrow end of the flame template)

Release date:

This image was seen some time ago, and appears to indicate July 14 as the date for the release of the 6th Edition rulebook.

It is generally accepted now that the main release should be in July 2012

Most recently, Darnok has piped in on this:

Without a quote this time, but I wanted to note that another birdy has confirmed 40K 6th edition for July.
    And on 20 May 2012:

It seems there are some 40K releases scheduled for June, including the new rulebook, templates, dice and either markers or cards for psychic powers. Cheers to the birdy!
    The starter box is less certain, with some suggesting it will drop around the same time as the new edition:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar69 View Post
    A good friend of mine works in the FLGS and informed me that the German starter box will be available second week of June.
    And others claiming later:

Hey Mate,

Can confirm 100% that 40,000 Starter is slated for September release.
    May 28 2012 - 5th Edition Rulebook removed from GW shelves.
    Last edited by The Dude; 21-06-2012 at 08:08.
    The Tale of Guilders

That's just... like... your opinion, man.

#| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#
    <

Commander

Re: Official WarSeer Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition discussion thread

Can someone with a better memory than me give us a summery of the rumors please (I can't remember which rumors predate "the event" and which don't)
    they're dalek bumps

Eddies Blue Ogres
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316474
    <

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Chaos View Post
    Can someone with a better memory than me give us a summery of the rumors please (I can't remember which rumors predate "the event" and which don't)
    Good idea.

Wintermute
    Last edited by Wintermute; 14-01-2012 at 19:21.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth
    <

My souces are telling me that the recent rules leak is a hoax, great writting but untimitly a hoax
    Just to let you know I am Dyslexic.
    This means that some of my spelling and grammer will be incorrect.
    Thanks

Or as Balerion put it,
    Oh, wow. You are to language what a Hive Fleet is to biological matter and DNA. Realigning, recombining, amalgamating, recreating... perfecting.
    <

The leaked rule book seems a GW book. It's their font. It's GW style written. The latest dex info is refered to (eg. Necron dex rules like Heavy, prefered enemy, etc) and the same style. Plus it's very possible that GW want to have it play tested by the community.
    If it would be an hoax, respect to those who made it And probs is a necron player, they become a lot better.
    We are the necrontyr. We are legion. We claim dominion of this world... Surrender and die.
    <

Banned

If it's a hoax, it's the most hard-worked-on hoax I've ever seen. Just to type all that out would have taken hundreds of hours (there's only a few paragraphs that seemed to be copy-pasted from existing publications), never mind giving it some semblance of being a coherent rules set. (Whether it's a "good" rules set would be hard to say without playing some games). If it's fake... someone with some genuine game design experience put an awful lot of effort into faking something, for no reason that I can understand as what benefit do they get out of it? You're going to waste hundreds of hours of your own life creating a hoax, just to get a few internet geeks a bit excited for a few days?
    <

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Please note this thread is for the discussion of genuine 'rumours' and not for the discussion of the validity of 'leaked' ruleset
    ^ This

words for the word god
    they're dalek bumps

Eddies Blue Ogres
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316474
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Inach View Post
    The leaked rule book seems a GW book. It's their font. It's GW style written. The latest dex info is refered to (eg. Necron dex rules like Heavy, prefered enemy, etc) and the same style. Plus it's very possible that GW want to have it play tested by the community.
    If it would be an hoax, respect to those who made it And probs is a necron player, they become a lot better.
    Lol GW wants people to have input in their rules? Not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!
    <

It's99% hoax.

Why? I'm a professional graphic designer, I checked the PDF and compared it to some of the PDFs you can download from GW.com and to the other recent 40k books. I found some discrepancies which make me believe it's not coming from GW.

- The fonts in the PDF are the same GW usually uses for the codices, however when I checked the embedded font files, their file names are not the same like the ones they use in the FAQ PDFs. With commercial fonts it's like software - you need to buy a license, and even the same fonts can be obtained from different publishers, however different file names means that the ones who did the hoax got their fonts from a different source than GW.
    - Font sizes are not consistent
    - The layout is similar to the 5th Edition rulebook - two columns with the same width. I'd expect the 6th Edition rulebook to be more similar to the layout of the 8th Edition Fantasy rulebook.
    Visit Tale of Painters - the daily updated hobby blog!
    We're blogging about collecting and painting armies, with daily updates of WIP models and showcases of finished pieces for your inspiration. We also post extensive tutorials and reviews!
    Latest Posts: Review: Age of Sigmar Starter Set / Tutorial: How to paint Eldar / Tutorial: Beginners Guide to Miniature Photography / Tutorial: How to paint Death Company
    <

I don't think we have much in the way of 6th edition rumors beyond the recent controversial set.

I have my doubts about the hoax claims, but since that's explicitly not part of the discussion I'll keep them to myself.
    /////
    Tales of the Seferim Sector: an ongoing series of narrative battle reports.

Orks of the Seferim Sector
    <

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

This thread was established to discuss genuine rumours for 6th Ed. If you wish to discuss the 'leaked', 'hoax' rules then please do so here

Wintermute
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth
    <

So does it look like something akin to the fantasy army selection will appear? Seeing as last I hear apocalypse was going to be available from the main rulebook instead of having a separate book. Also I prefer the fantasy set out as you can stock up on a for example special heavy army whereas 40k has always been limited to you can only take 3 elites.. What if I wanted a veteran heavy SM army? Just an idea. Figure if apocalypse is going to be available from the start it's going to be difficult to keep under the old force chart. Hey I'd be happy if they changed it to the old fantasy layout of say +1 of each unit type for every extra 1000 points then at 3000 it opens up?

Also Id assume given the trend of fantasy we are likely to get a bigger, more expensive rulebook which makes sense if it has apocalypse in it. And also hopefully hardback codices because even though they are more expensive, they are worth more because of the better quality!

And how about the rumour that the timeline would advance seeing the imperium dwindle in strength and put more focus on chaos?
    Heres mine and my friends' project log, a tale of four ozzie gamers
    MY ULTRAMARINES LOG!!!
    this is my band:
    www.myspace.com/thecrueltywithin

WHERES DA TRUKK??? WHYS I WALKEN??? WHOS TAKED ME WEELZ, DEYZ WILL PAY... GET 'ERE YA SQUIRMY RUNT!!!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    This thread was established to discuss genuine rumours for 6th Ed. If you wish to discuss the 'leaked', 'hoax' rules then please do so here

Wintermute
    This thread also has not a single "rumor" about it. The dude should have never created it in the first place. And why it is stickied is beyond me.
    B.B.Hoods family full of disappointment. Tamales on the floor. The dads sombrero broken.

Accepting all challengers, currently playing SFxT, UMVC3, SCV, DoA5.
    My Xbox Live account is Vicioushellsing.
    <

This thread exists to create a distinction between the PDFs and what will actually appear in 6th edition. If nothing yet appears in it, that in itself is revealing. It is stickied to ensure this destinction remains evident despite the current skew in discussion towards the PDFs.
    The Tale of Guilders

<

The rumours I have heard are:

The game will have a much heavier concentration on infantry, which will become far more effective and more viable (to try to steer players from mechanised armies - 5th was edition of the transport, 6th is edition of the basic trooper)

Force organisation slots will go in favour of percentages as in earlier editions of 40K / Fantasy.

Shooting with infantry will be far more effective. If stationary troops will be able to fire twice at long range, 3 times at close range.

These were all rumours (and probably just that) I had heard before the supposed leaked rules, but the leaked rules seem to back these rumours up.

Of course these rumours have been around for a while and it's possible they could have been incorporated into the leaked rules, assuming they are a hoax.
    <

Chapter Master

Force organisation slots will go in favour of percentages as in earlier editions of 40K / Fantasy
    I thought this was already established as less rumor and more just made up wishlistey kind of stuff?
    Win/Ties/Loss:
    Tau 27/2/8 2009, 5/0/2 2012, 1/0/0 2013
    Greyknights 17/3/4 2011, 47/4/11 2012
    <

People have been saying both since before the PDF
    The Tale of Guilders

<

if i remember correctly, the last post on percentage based FOC came from ghost, and he said, there wont be a percentage based FOC.
    <

Chaplain

I remember some thing, which if I'm not mistaking predates the pdf..(refuse to call it a fake, as some one did a hell of a job, thought its month early for April fools)

There will be a trade off or bid system, where in you can change force org by trading in one unit of elite, for one unit of say heavy.. Not sure if this was just chaos or for all armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondrak View Post
    if i remember correctly, the last post on percentage based FOC came from ghost, and he said, there wont be a percentage based FOC.
    General: "Zounds, Man, Damn the engineer who thought of using Battle feild left overs in buildings.."
    Hero: " I think he was the first ones that the Tower ate.. after coming to sir.."
    Fugazi: Heheh, brilliant.
    Korraz: This is so Warhammer-y, it makes me love the tower even more.
    <

I believe someone had seen a paper with several release dates. July 14th was seen to be the date of the new book. Other dates were about first info, pictures and/or videos.
    Results in the past are no guarantee for the future.
    I’m only stating my opinion, it’s not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickmonkey View Post
    You can't put 3 women together and get a baby in 3 months, right?
    <

Page 1 of 274 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast