Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How hot is a titan?

Veteran Sergeant

How hot is a titan?

Hello Warseer community,

I am currently finishing my gaming board, a very grim dark snow board, where all of the terrain is covered in freshly fallen snow.

I love gaming on it, as the stark contrast of the board to the models is awesome.

Since I fell in love with the snow covered terrain, and I am currently building another Reaver for my Chaos forces, I started to wonder:

How fast and how hot is a Titan? I have a couple of Reavers, and 99% of the time when I use them (sometimes just as Terrain when no Apocalypse is played) I use them at home/on my board, and since my whole Chaos army has been rethemed to snow bases, I have this image of this huge Reaver in my mind with some remaining snowpiles on it's top, as I would exclusively use it on the snow gaming board.

It would make a wonderfull model, with the snow melted away next to the Void Shield emiitters, and melted and black around the heat exhausts.

So...how "hot" is an operational titan? Would the snow just melt away all over the titan? I have not red the BL books about Titans/Adeptus Mechanicus, that's why I ask here if there is any indication in the books about a Titan.

PS: This is the Chaos Reaver from Forgeworld, which is still controlled by humans, so the thing is not "alive" yet

regards

tuo

Re: How hot is a titan?

I really don't know for sure, but I imagine that it's feet, legs and arms would be quite cool, as there are no major heat sources (such as power generators ect., just motors to move them) and the thick armour plating would act as a kind of insulator. The torso would have even thicker armour plating, but maybe this would be off-set by the power generators? The exhausts and guns would probably get pretty hot, for obvious reasons. I don't really know if void shields would heat it up, as I don't know much about them.
    Who needs a life when there are video games? (And Warhammer)

Orks: 2000 points

i think a light sprinkling all over would be okay, leaving any vents joints hatches and optics clear. if it was an imperial one it probably wouldnt have much at all as the techies would want to keep it clean so as not to offend the machine spirit. but chaos? theyd be rather less finiky about it.
    "six shots."

Chapter Master

I'm thinking to MechWarrior and such now....but thinking about it, there should be very little heat emanating from areas that aren't exhausts, weapon barrels for projectile weapons, or muzzles/power centers for energy weapons. So the legs, arms, and cockpit especially should be OK for snow coverage. Let's see some pics!

Also this is the 41st millennium, where they use thermal weaponry after all - and any protection against it is going to work both ways, trapping heat in as well as out. Requiring more or hotter heat vents.
    My Chaos Project Log - ride the lightning!

Well, those Warlords really get me goin.......oh....*ahem*

Actually, I imagine Titans to be fairly warm to the touch, room temperature-ish even if it's just a by-product of all the vibrations that must rumble through one in virtually every action it can perform (and there's the issue of the vibration itself shaking free any loose material that might gather on it) and with virtually any impact on it.
    Then there's it's weapons, they might be internally cooled to aleviate the problems of overheating, but you can bet the region of space around the business end sees some significant thermal issue that could heat up the air around the Titan and thus the skin of the thing itself.
    Also there's Void Shields, any snow (or other particles) falling through those would probably encounter some kind of effect, as even a slight warming will stop snow (in the usual Terran style) from being show, it's possible snow won't ever be able to fall on a "live" titan.

It could be that the joints of a Titan are purposefully kept warm to avoid them siezing up in harsh conditions (non Terran standard) and thus the whole hul of the machine is slightly warm.

On the other hand, I can imagine great sheets of ice cascading off of a titan that's been stood immobile for any length of time when it decides to start moving again.
    And a titan is quite tall, so it's top half, at least, might be exposed to much harsher weather then the little guys on the ground.

I still like the idea that they aren't really cold though.
    40K spend '09: £205.70.'10: £87.50.'11: £29.00. '12: £89.00. '13: £35.50. '14 £75.50. '15 £424.00
    WANTED: 1 Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms.

Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    I can imagine great sheets of ice cascading off of a titan that's been stood immobile for any length of time when it decides to start moving again.
    That's a great picture!

Or when the titan activates his voidshields and all the ice and snow blows of instantly through some strange physical effect of the activation.
    Stinki 29.02.2012

Could snow land on a titan with its void shields up? Void shields are really gimmicky so it's hard to know what they will do. If they don't let something in does it mean they trap a pocket of air inside? Could you eventually end up with an anoxous environment from all the exhaust and human breathing?

Snow would look cool on a titan though.

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Brother Sergeant

A titan with "frosting" would look cool Post picture please.

I've found two picture reference to Titan operating in winter/snow conditions:
    [1] Front cover of IA Apocalypse 2nd Ed
    [2] IA 11 (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuf...F-MYMEARA.html 5th picutre)
    Neither show any snow on the actual Titans...
    Grey Knights : wdl : 5/3/6
    Necrons : wdl : 0/2/0

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    Could snow land on a titan with its void shields up? Void shields are really gimmicky so it's hard to know what they will do.
    Void shields only activate versus pretty high velocities. They don't stop torpedoes or fighter/bomber craft in BFG (or, indeed, FFG's Rogue Trader), and Titan void shields aren't noted for knocking over every building they touch.

Slower velocity stuff passes right through, and as snow falls at a few feet per second, it's hugely below the threshold. The question about whether the shield might melt the snow is another matter.
    -Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll.
    Project log - Leander, 54mm scale Mars pattern Warhound titan

I suppose it's up to you. If you want snow on your titan, just put it on. I can't imagine anyone complaining about it.
    Who needs a life when there are video games? (And Warhammer)

Orks: 2000 points

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoSkoll View Post
    Void shields only activate versus pretty high velocities. They don't stop torpedoes or fighter/bomber craft in BFG (or, indeed, FFG's Rogue Trader), and Titan void shields aren't noted for knocking over every building they touch.

Slower velocity stuff passes right through, and as snow falls at a few feet per second, it's hugely below the threshold. The question about whether the shield might melt the snow is another matter.
    There have been stories where the shields push against stuff around them as the titan moves. I don't recall void shields being definitively described as working against a projectile's velocity though.

Certainly wouldn't make much sense against lasers. Although they technically have a speed, how exactly is the shield supposed to stop something moving at the speed of light? It would need sensors that worked faster than light...

The best weapon against a titan would be a trebuchet lobbing demolisher shells, not fast enough for the shield to activate, but deadly enough to blow up the titan...

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

I think the Titan is exactly as hot or cold as it needs to be to look cool.
    Order. Unity. Obedience.

There have been stories where the shields push against stuff around them as the titan moves. I don't recall void shields being definitively described as working against a projectile's velocity though.

Certainly wouldn't make much sense against lasers. Although they technically have a speed, how exactly is the shield supposed to stop something moving at the speed of light? It would need sensors that worked faster than light...

The best weapon against a titan would be a trebuchet lobbing demolisher shells, not fast enough for the shield to activate, but deadly enough to blow up the titan...

Hellebore
    Since Void Shields are warp based, it doesn't necessarily need sensors somewhere else on the titan, there might be some sort of built in psychic field or the like that deals with it.

The Void Shields on a starship definitely react to speed as they'll let in aircraft and torpedoes, but stop weapons fire, and have no speed of light problems (it stops lance batteries, and the Raven Guard (and probably others as well) have a variant that makes it face inward to stop E-M radiation from the ship escaping). It seems to me that it scales with size - so a Titan size shield would block bullets, but let in Infantry (necessary as some of them are transports), or even slowly moving aircraft in the case of the larger ones, while space ships let in supersonic aircraft, but block space weaponry.

I don't recall void shields being definitively described as working against a projectile's velocity though.
    They're not definitively described as such, but forcefields in general (either in 40k or sci-fi as a whole) only ever seem to activate versus high energy densities - which either means high velocity, or lots and lots of electromagnetic radiation.

Also, rather than it being sensors deciding when to turn the field on, I read a rather nice fan explanation about how the projected field is actually sort of partway between the dimensions, and it's the presence of that energy passing through the field that actually causes the field to coalesce.

And as Zarkov says, it does seem to scale with size.

The best weapon against a titan would be a trebuchet lobbing demolisher shells, not fast enough for the shield to activate, but deadly enough to blow up the titan.
    If you could actually hit, it would be quite effective. However, I suspect that both their guns and auspex arrays would have a lot more range than your trebuchet...

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Exitas-Acta-Probat View Post
    if it was an imperial one it probably wouldnt have much at all as the techies would want to keep it clean so as not to offend the machine spirit. but chaos? theyd be rather less finiky about it.
    There is nothing that says Chaos as much as a titan covered with spikes, chains, skulls, daemonic faces and a light covering of fresh snow!

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. You´d be a pioneer.

And the coldness can even be explained by Void-Chill

They're not definitively described as such, but forcefields in general (either in 40k or sci-fi as a whole) only ever seem to activate versus high energy densities - which either means high velocity, or lots and lots of electromagnetic radiation.

Also, rather than it being sensors deciding when to turn the field on, I read a rather nice fan explanation about how the projected field is actually sort of partway between the dimensions, and it's the presence of that energy passing through the field that actually causes the field to coalesce.

And as Zarkov says, it does seem to scale with size.
    Well there's also nothing that said a void shield is warp based either. I don't know where Zarkov got that notion (perhaps the name void). A titan has void shield generators that produce an energy field to absorb incombing shots.

Now, it could be related to velocity indirectly because if you read the way the shield works it basically provides a counterforce until the generator overloads (what's the modern armour called? reactive armour?). So the shield is sticking out and anything that runs into it is met with an opposing force. Lower velocity objects don't have as much kinetic energy so the shield doesn't 'push back' very hard.

I imagine it like a semipermiable membrane. It actually strikes me as similar to the eldar mesh armour where the site of impact goes rigid and disperses the impact.

Hellebore
    Last edited by Hellebore; 25-12-2011 at 09:26.

If it helps in the Hellsreach book(in the 40k battles series i think) one of the Titans gets heavily damaged and most of the crew killed, so they have to cut nonesential functions like the internal temperature control. The inside was described as getting quite chilly in most of the affected sections.
    Last edited by Sternguard777; 25-12-2011 at 10:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by War Corgi View Post
    R2D2 is always relevant.

Well there's also nothing that said a void shield is warp based either.
    Nor I didn't say it was. You chose to interpret that as what I meant by dimensions.

Even in our universe, there are more dimensions than the three - or perhaps four - we can perceive. (In fact, they have been presented as a possible explanation for the CERN superluminar neutrino results.)

However, as the name "void" is involved, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine that the immaterium might, in this case, be the other dimension (or one of the other dimensions) involved.

Nor I didn't say it was. You chose to interpret that as what I meant by dimensions.

Even in our universe, there are more dimensions than the three - or perhaps four - we can perceive. (In fact, they have been presented as a possible explanation for the CERN superluminar neutrino results.)

However, as the name "void" is involved, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine that the immaterium might, in this case, be the other dimension (or one of the other dimensions) involved.
    As i said in the rest of my post, I don't know why Zarkov assumed it was related to the warp. I never claimed you did.

The eldar use a void spinner, it has nothing to do with the warp.

There is currently no information at all that a void shield uses warp energy to work. It is simply described as an energy field generated by a generator.

The only thing we do know that manipulates the warp is a warp drive, something that uses the term warp directly and is described directly as manipulating it. If a void shield does what a warp drive does then I think we'd know it.

Hellebore

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast