Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Strange Demise of Titus Endor

The Strange Demise of Titus Endor

I see this has not been posted here yet. It has been in Hammer and bolter but for those, like me, who does not purchase them, here is the short story. And i do have to say it is definitely one of his(if not the) best fictions to date IMHO.

From sfx.co.uk:
    "This short story originally appeared in Hammer And Bolter, a download-only fiction magazine from The Black Library, bringing the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 to life. Hammer And Bolter showcases all of Black Library’s new authors and has full stories by established guys such as Abnett as well.

Enjoy."

"The Strange Demise of Titus Endor" By Dan Abnett

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/07/21/shor...by-dan-abnett/
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Morkai View Post
    You need to buy 5 finecast Karamazovs to get enough non-mangled parts to build 1.

/bandwagon

Re: The Strange Demise of Titus Endor

Wow, very nice story. Sad to see the end of Titus Endor. He was one of my favourite characters.

Indeed, I was very impressed with the story. Like Dragannia, he was always a fondly remembered character from the Eisenhorn books for me, a very sad story, but very nicely done. Well worth the read.
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com

Forgive my stupidity, but the ending confused me somewhat.
    So was it madness from worms actually in his head? Was Liebstrum actually with him at all? Why did his rossette work and then not work, did he have it or not?

Very confused.........
    Given the choice........whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do? But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match move by move the machinations of Fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars
    Not many people have forged a galactic Empire with leaflet campaigns, coffee mornings and appeals to the inherent goodness of man

Don't worry, blindingdark, it's very much deliberately confusing ('tis the nature of dementia, horrid thing that it is).

The madness does seem to have been from the worms and Liebstrum was actually with him, as best I can see. The bit where Liebstrum shows up and berates Titus for calling him is, I think, 'real'. Titus is still confusing many of his memories with things that are happening in the present, so much so that what's past and what's present is thoroughly confused to him as a narrator.

I think, though he might have been recalling many things of the past too. So the search of Mira's apartment confuses reality (finding where she lived) with the past memories of pursuing Maliko (all the books, superimposing 'mad significance' to her dance-numbers).

His dance with Mira seemed genuine; he still has the abilities of an Inquisitor, even if his faculties are escaping him, hence he learned the dance.

I doubt he ever had the rosette in the story, rather it being his insistence/casualness in presenting it that convinced people, not its actual presence itself. (E.g. flashing something and saying "I'm an Inquisitor" with the authority of someone who genuinely believes they are [and genuinely once were] would be enough to convince people.)

But my reading of it might be wrong, of course. That's how it all struck me though. Again, don't worry about being confused, just imagine how bad it'd be to actually be Titus and being similarly confused by what you percieve to be actually happening. Dementia's not a ton of fun!
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles

Thanks Xisor, It seems I got the jist of it then, just kept throwing me off what I thought the story was trying to do, as you say it was most certainly supposed to be that way.

So what did you make of the numbered box in the theatre that didnt actually exist? I think thats the last part left to me that is still confusing!

Oh, and his own funeral / headstone...

My brain hurts now, maybe it was to get readers to sympathise with having the actual cerebral worms in ones head.
    Given the choice........whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do? But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match move by move the machinations of Fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars
    Not many people have forged a galactic Empire with leaflet campaigns, coffee mornings and appeals to the inherent goodness of man

Not at all, it's an interesting piece, it's nice to hear how others are looking at it.

The funeral, I think, is simply that he has (in his lucid moments) recognised the direction he's going and (possibly along with Liebstrum) has actually made provision for it. So the funeral is already arranged, he just needs to actually die. (Which is a more'n bit depressing, organising your own funeral knowing that you'll struggle to even remember that you did so.)

As for the numbered box, I imagine that might be indicative of the case already having been solved previously. If it'd already been done and he'd previously 'captured the box', then it may have been removed and not yet replaced, even after a long time. His mind is 'filling in the gaps' and ignoring that fact that he's already won it, perhaps?

I think you're right though, it's certainly to induce reader sympathy. And I think it works, once your brain stops hurting!

The funeral, I think, is simply that he has (in his lucid moments) recognised the direction he's going and (possibly along with Liebstrum) has actually made provision for it. So the funeral is already arranged, he just needs to actually die. (Which is a more'n bit depressing, organising your own funeral knowing that you'll struggle to even remember that you did so.)
    Genius, that makes alot of sense.

As for the numbered box, I imagine that might be indicative of the case already having been solved previously. If it'd already been done and he'd previously 'captured the box', then it may have been removed and not yet replaced
    again, thats a much better explanation than I came up with, what a wonderfully depressing piece of writing DA, and people think having no milk in the fridge is a problem to worry about

Brilliant story! Dan has been itching to publish it for yonks. He's had it finished since at least GD 08, as he told me then whilst he was signing my Legion that he has a Titus Endor story in need of a good home (yes, i am that annoying chap at Games Day who hoggs Dan Abnett way past what is considered a reasonable conversation time :P)
    Very sad though, but that's Endor isn't it. A talented man, a friend, but ultimately weak and never able to assert himself as his position demanded. He should never really have been an Inquisitor.
    I wonder if Inquisitor Liebstrum will appear in any of the forthcoming Eisenhorn/ Ravenor works? Would definitely not surprise me.
    Oh and apologies for forgetting, thanks FlashGordon! I am also far too cheap to buy Hammer & Bolter. One blames it on the student lifestyle and all that...

This is great, now bring out the next trilogy and give us more Eisenhorn!

]:

Amen Kalandros!

definitely a sad end for Titus, he was always a big favorite character of mine, regardless of his "betrayal" of Eisenhorn

dementia/alzheimers is a horrible way to go(i've had to deal with a grandmother so ailed) and it really messes with the person

BUT

Its nice to see an Inquisitor fade/meet their demise at the hands of something not over the top, like the usual [insert name here] died in a glorious last stand against [insert crazy number here] of cultists, killing many... or [insert name here] fell to chaos, letting himself become corrupt and was eventually hunted down and dealt with

its refreshing, is all i'm saying, despite it being quite a sad way to go out.
    Loyal to the Blood - Vampiric Sylvanian Empire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zarkov View Post
    No-one did it! No-one stabbed my eye out! And there's No-one here to blame!
    Quote Originally Posted by warplock View Post
    When I use a Bloodthirster, he is called Lher'oi M'jhenkins.

Agreed, No-One, it certainly reads all the better for that breath of fresh air, even though it's a decidedly sad story.

Chaplain

very good read. i needed that. thanks!

Thanks for posting! Will read on the way home today.
    Omnomnom...OGRES!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-cult-ogres%29
    DYSTOPIAN WARS and INFINITY!!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5645298
    "They are more than mortal, they are steel and they are doom. And the greatest of them all are the PINK ANGELS."
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256678

Haha, I just re-read the story. I thought it ended on the first page, I didn't see the 'next page!' I thought it ended with "No, he isn't." I thought that was a pretty good ending on a washed up inquisitor going nuts, lol. Then there was all this talk of funerals and whatever. I was very confused.

Veteran Sergeant

So.. how did Titus died again??

LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragannia View Post
    Haha, I just re-read the story. I thought it ended on the first page, I didn't see the 'next page!' I thought it ended with "No, he isn't." I thought that was a pretty good ending on a washed up inquisitor going nuts, lol. Then there was all this talk of funerals and whatever. I was very confused.
    Yeah that happened to me to XD And i thought "Wow! Awsome ending!" But then i saw the next button. (And it was just as good all through to the(real) ending)
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Morkai View Post
    You need to buy 5 finecast Karamazovs to get enough non-mangled parts to build 1.

/bandwagon

Oh wow, so glad I joined this forum. Been wanting to read this for a while now. Thanks for the link.

That is a horribly depressing story but so well written. I have to say it is his best piece so far. I've always liked Endor and had hoped that he would write more about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosAstartes View Post
    So basically the Deciever is Keyser Söze?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast