View Poll Results: Which Warriors of Apoc kit looks best?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Halberds

9 24.32%
  • Great Weapons

16 43.24%
  • Weapon & Shield

4 10.81%
  • Two Weapons

8 21.62%

Thread: Warriors of Apoc: best looking kit?

Warriors of Apoc: best looking kit?

I recognize that this thread might be about a month early, but I'm excited now.

What do you think is the best looking kit? Why?
    Will you pre-order it?

IMO, the halberds look much better than the great weapons, and the shield variant is better than the two weapon type. Honestly, the halberds and shields are about tied, but I'm preordering the shields because I believe they'll see more tabletop use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    A little Plog (Updated September 2, 2013)

Re: Warriors of Apoc: best looking kit?

As a Tournament player, I've ordered Halberds and Shields, as I'll use them the most. I'll order the others later on. Halberds are my favourite kit aesthetics wise though.
    Currently working on - The Blood Herd of Vorgoth (Beastmen)

Rankings - 3rd in New Zealand, Best General - Warriors of Chaos (And that's enough vanity for now....)

Currently Listening to (Keeping me sane whilst painting) - Deuce - Nine Lives

The weapons look like they are in extra-Heroic scale, which makes the Halberds look clumsey to me. The over sized great weapons look fine though, they are great weapons after all.
    Most of the single handed weapons look great, but a few dissappoint. IMHO I would prefer a little less Heroic in the non great weapons.
    My Custom Warhammer Army Book. WHFB Stygian - Last updated. 04.05.2014.
    ....and, as always.... thanks for reading.
    Kossar count: 19

I like the two hand weapons and great weapons. The Halberds look too large and the shields don't really excite me.

Not a fan of the shields, but the Great Weapons look very nice indeed. At this price I could imagine ordering two boxes...
    The halberds are a bit too big for my taste, but that could be the angle as well. Two hand weapons also looks good...very promising box!
    Look upon us and Despair, for we are the End, the Decay of all things, the horror of rot and the blessing of plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    There's your problem. One person's 'sensible and popular' is another person's Codex: Grey Knights.

the halberds look like a nightmare to rank up.
    Tyger Tyger. burning bright,
    In the forests of the night:
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

As I commented in the rumour thread, I like the GWs and 2x hand weapon models, but I feel that the others would need some reworking. The GWs are my favourite and the kit that I preordered yesterday.

The halberds are massive and oversized way beyond heroic scale and the plainer looking shields with vision slits, in the other kit, would need to be replaced.
    My favourite Gaming Podcasts
    - The D6 Generation [Gaming News, Reviews and Not Too Horrible Humour]
    - Heelan Hammer [WHFB Hobby and Tournament]
    - Bad Dice [WHFB Tournament Reviews and News]

I can't view the site pics from work Will have a look and vote tonight. Either way, I'm very excited about this kit. If it's priced similarly to the Dwarves I'll be ecstatic.
    On the back of my bike at 180km/h you can be screaming your silly head off and all Iím gonna hear is the wind and my own barking demons.

They all look amazing to me but I think the two hand weapon option takes the cake.

GW's mono-pose chaos warriors pale in comparison to any of those kits!

Quote Originally Posted by New Cult King View Post
    I can't view the site pics from work Will have a look and vote tonight. Either way, I'm very excited about this kit. If it's priced similarly to the Dwarves I'll be ecstatic.
    From the site it appears they will be more costly then the dwarves, partially from what I gathered is due to this warcast material they are using. Likely also due to starting up a whole new branch and what not for their company. According to their site the dwarves are 30 euro and these units will be 37.50 euros when I looked.

Comes out to about AU$47 for 20 dudes. That's still excellent pricing.
    On the back of my bike at 180km/h you can be screaming your silly head off and all Iím gonna hear is the wind and my own barking demons.

USD$50 makes them $2.50 a model. A little cheaper than dark eldar, orc(k)s, and imperial guard. They're roughly $0.30 more expensive per model than marauders and $0.41 cheaper than chaos warriors.

So they sit on the low end of the spectrum for GW prices in the USA. In virtually everywhere but the US and the UK, They're well below the spectrum.

These are priced very competitively, given what we have to compare them to.

@New Cult King: Did you ever get a good look? Gaelion has posted larger/more detailed photos in the AoW forums by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazak Blacktoof View Post
    As I commented in the rumour thread, I like the GWs and 2x hand weapon models, but I feel that the others would need some reworking. The GWs are my favourite and the kit that I preordered yesterday.

The halberds are massive and oversized way beyond heroic scale and the plainer looking shields with vision slits, in the other kit, would need to be replaced.
    As the halberds and shields are my favorites, I feel the urge to jump to their defense. I like that the halberd unit has a sense of direction (the same can't easily be said for the GW and two-weapon units). I wasn't so sure about the shields at first. Unfortunately, the plainest shield (the culprit) stands in perfect view of the camera, and since it's so close to the camera and looks so different from the rest of the unit, it stands out like a sore thumb...

My first instinct was to look around the thing and see what other shields I could see, all of which look nice. Then, in utter disbelief that Felix would go on about superb detail and then sculpt such a plain-looking flat shield, I did a doubletake. It turns out that there's actually a little bit of texture on the front beneath the spike that gives it some shape. And the edges of the shield look great! I think they'll be fun (and challenging) to paint, and I already have a role planned out for them in my 40k radical inquisition army. (These are much cheaper than crusaders, BTW.)
    Last edited by Scaryscarymushroom; 01-02-2012 at 18:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    A little Plog (Updated September 2, 2013)

Ugh.. they are okish in general, tho I miss fur.. :P

on the negative..

To large halberds, ugly ass shields, some of the armor is a bit to outlandish for my taste (each to its own ofc)

Final verdict
    Generally ok =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scaryscarymushroom View Post
    I like that the halberd unit has a sense of direction (the same can't easily be said for the GW and two-weapon units).
    I think that the only direction that unit will be going is backwards, if they dare to raise those weapons above their heads. On a more serious practical note, I think they will be a royal pain to rank up.

In my opinion, the bladed great weapons that look like cleavers on a long pole are much more to my liking and would make the foundation of a much more convincingly heroically scaled halberd.

The unit with shields looks great, other than those that are rather plain looking. If I get any I'll replace the offending shields as they spoil the character of the unit. I don't think the plain shields mesh well with either their well detailed counterparts or the armour detailing. I had noticed the details you mentioned, but I don't think that those small embellishments sit well alongside the more grandiose shields.

My first impression after seeing this new pic: Omg i want these sweetiee halberds !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aowpl02_al2_info.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	131412  

Halberds are way too small, they look like tiny historical sculpts.

I'm gonna convert mine to be doubled-bladed and then have the warriors holding one in each hand to make them cooler.
    If you play any of Mantic's games, check out my Battlescribe project for KoW and Warpath.

They look better from that angle. I'm still happier with the great weapons though.

Of these the great weapons, very nice models. I cannot wait to see some orcs & goblins, skeletons and chaos dwarfs/more dwarfs. I should better start saving some money for that!
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    Halberds are way too small, they look like tiny historical sculpts.

I'm gonna convert mine to be doubled-bladed and then have the warriors holding one in each hand to make them cooler.
    Lol
    Yeah they are pretty oversized... O_O
    I think that 50% of the halberds are waaay too big but that is probably nothing that couldn't be nicely cut down with some careful scalpel work so the halberds come back to being a reasonable size.
    I'm gonna vote hand weapon and shield.
    I think the great weapons are too big for my tastes as well. I'm not so confident about being able to trim them down without ruining them, maybe I'll go for a weapons swap with a different manufacturer because they are getting on for 35mm scale.
    I do like the two hand weapon unit as well. Very cool.
    Last edited by Autumn Leaves; 20-02-2012 at 07:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.