Thread: Need help Byzantine Army

Chapter Master
    Now Terra...Soon HOLY...Eastern fringes of Europe

Need help Byzantine Army

Hy,

I just acquired arounde 72 infantry models, 15 psyloi, 34 heavy cavalry, 2 siphons for a byzantine army. If you can provide me some hints regarding the style of playing for this army as well as some links with painted byzantine armies I'll be very happy. Is my first involvement in the Historical army gaming (I'm a 40k player).
    Thank you
    Last edited by laudarkul; 30-01-2012 at 12:49.
    IG: 2th Company/9th IG Hohenstaufen Regiment.
    "La garde meurt, mais il ne se rend pas"
    "To hell and back...Again"

Re: Need help Byzantine Army

Any idea who the manufacturer is or what time period the figures are from? Byzantine can cover a lot of territory - from Gothic invasions of 500AD through the final Crusades in 1200/1300. The Warhammer Ancients book, Beyond the Golden Gate might be a good place to start. Even if you don't play WAB, the book will have historical back ground and army lists for the Byzantines through out this period. As for game play - most likely you're looking at a heavy cavalry charge (the cavalry figures are barded, right?) with supporting archery fire from the infantry.

Try looking at http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=138 or http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/li...4&sub=9&page=1 for a few pics and to see if you can identify the figures.
    Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory

I second the suggestion of using "Beyond the Golden Gate" as a reference. What rules do you plan to use? Do you have opponents already lined up, and if so what are their armies?

The playstyle depends on the time period, but in general Byzantine armies had heavy cavalry (cataphracts), mounted archers, foot archers and infantry w/ shield and spear. It's a pretty combined-arms approach.

Seems like you got yourself the Thematic Byzantine Army from Gripping Beast. A good source book will be (as mentioned earlier), WAB Beyond the Golden Gate. The problem is that you may have trouble getting a copy of it. Otherwise you can just use the Byzantine list in Armies of Antiquity (WAB2 Version).

The Byzantine army basically works through its cavalry. Weaken enemy formation with your javelin/bow armed light cavalry, bowmen infantry and then deliver a crushing blow with your heavy cavalry and cataphracts. Use your infantry as reserve or screens to give your cavalry a breather in the event the latter were broken in combat and needs to rally. If you managed to get hold of the BTGG list, the infantry will also be extremely deadly as mobile pillboxes when armed with both spears and darts (plus archers int he rear ranks).

A lot will depend on which armylist you have access to. Keep me informed as I am a new Byzantine player too (about a yr old).

Chapter Master

Thank you for the information.
    The vast majority of models are from Crusader and a quarter from Gripping. Right now I'm waiting to receive the models and as soon as I'm in possession I'll start painting/modelling them. I'll borrow the B:BGG from afrined from the game club in order to have some inspiration regarding the painting and some army list. Then a rulebook is also a must (I'll call the persons from GW in order to verify if they have both books).
    As soon as I'll evolve with this army I'll post some more impressions.

If you're going to play Warhammer Ancient Battle you'll need to be calling Forge World, they're handling WAB these days. You could try Impetus if you are looking for something different, the basic rules and army lists are free on their website: http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html

Chapter Master

Hold on... You say that I can purchase the WAB rulebook from FW? I ask because I intend to order for 40k some stuff and I can add also this book ...

http://warhammer-historical.com/acat...t_Battles.html

The WAB rule book is available through the Warhammer Historical web cart. Beyond the Golden Gate is displayed, although they as you to call for stock levels. All shipping/stocking is handled by the FW group.
    Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory

Chapter Master

If someone can provide me some links for threads/posts/blogs with Byzantine armies painted, I'll be very happy . Thank you.

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

The WAB forum is not that busy but this is one thread that I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Chapter Master

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the info's.