Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever on the wing, a DA plog

Ever on the wing, a DA plog

UPDATE
    So it’s been 3 and a half years since I started this painting log. Over that time, I’ve picked up a few new techniques, including how to magnetise arms and weapons, and make bases that are more advanced than the standards sand and flock. I’ve picked up edge highlighting, a bit of an understanding about shading, and some airbrushing. As such, I’m going to make of list of what I‘ve painted so far, and what I still have left to paint, which I will constantly update. I’ll also post a picture on the front page, of my most recent project, to try get some critique from new visitors, aimed at my current standard.

08/09/2015: Painted a tactical squad and Deimos Pattern Rhino, for the 1st Tactical Squad (in Mark III), 3rd Company.

Green = Painted Yellow = Assembled/Partially Painted Red = Not Assembled Blue = Not Bought
    Company Command Squad, 3rd Company: pg 2
    1st Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg 3
    1st Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg 3
    2nd Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg 1
    2nd Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg 2
    3rd Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg 1
    3rd Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg 1
    4th Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg 2
    4th Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg 2
    5th Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg 2
    5th Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg 2

6th Tactical Squad, 3rd Company: pg x
    6th Tactical Rhino, 3rd Company: pg x
    7th Assault Squad, 3rd Company: pg 2
    7th Assault Razorback, 3rd Company: pg x
    8th Assault Squad, 3rd Company: pg x
    8th Assault Razorback, 3rd Company: pg x
    9th Devastator Squad, 3rd Company: pg 3
    9th Devastator Razorback, 3rd Company: pg x
    10th Devastator Squad, 3rd Company: pg x
    10th Devastator Razorback, 3rd Company: pg x
    Deathwing Squad: pg 2

Deathwing Squad: pg x

Deathwing Knight Squad: pg 3
    Deathwing Knight Squad: pg 3

Deathwing Command Squad: pg x
    Venerable Dreadnought: pg 1
    Contemptor Dreadnought: pg 2

Venerable Dreanought: pg x
    Dreadnought: pg x
    Ravenwing Assault Squad: pg 2

Ravenwing Assault Squad: pg x

Ravenwing Black Knights/ Command Squad: pg x

Ravenwing Attack bike: pg 2
    Ravenwing Land Speeder Tornado: pg x
    Ravenwing Land Speeder Tornado: pg x

Land Raider: pg x
    Land Raider Crusader (Deathwing): pg 2

Land Raider Redeemer: pg x
    Predator Battle Tank: pg x
    Converted plastic Thunderhawk (Vindicator, Storm Raven, Require 1 more Storm Raven): pg x
    Belial Conversion: pg 1
    Librarian: pg 2
    Librarian: pg x
    Chaplain: pg 1
    Chaplain (DV): pg x
    Librarian in Terminator Armour: pg 2
    Chaplain in Terminator Armour: pg x
    Legion Centurion (Used as company master): pg x
    Librarian on bike: pg x
    Chaplain on bike: pg x
    Techmarine on bike: pg x

That’s quite a list, and it’s not as green as I’d like. Currently I’m aiming at finishing the 3rd Company, and painting up any unpainted Death/Ravenwing.

Hello, welcome to my Dark Angel Blog.
    Thought this would be a good time to start one as I now have a full Dark Angel Tactical Squad painted and based. o
    This army will be my journey into many paintig and modelling techniques, such as magnetising, edge highlighting, complex basing and freehand. So it won't start off perfect, thats for sure. However, with a bit of help from you and lots of practise from me, I hope to improve significantly.
    So first off, the squad.

Whole Squad lined up together. by Robotlord, on Flickr
    THis took roughly a month on and off to build and paint. It's a bit rough, but it is my first attempt. THats why I started with 3rd tactical squad, so hopefully 2nd will look better and 1st even greater.
    Next is a wee modelling challenge for myself.

Grenade! by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Title says it all really. Now the Special weapons chap and friends.

Special Weapons Gunner with magnetised OPtions by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Finally, if you haven't seen my other plog, here is the Seagent.

Tactical Sgt All Options by Robotlord, on Flickr

So thats them. If you have any advice at all, I'd love to hear it, as well as any comments or requests for my method.(Not that I expect the latter, it's still quite rough.)
    Last edited by Robotlord; 08-09-2015 at 18:19.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, those that don't, and those who also know about base 3.

Ever on the Wing, a Dark Angel plog *Updated 09/08/15* *Half the Deathwing, Mark III armour, Deimos Rhino *

Re: Ever on the wing, a DA plog

This is a good start, looking forward to seeing more

Good job! These looks really nice.

Sorry for the lack of updates, its been fairly boring with only building going on so I haven't posted anything. However I have got some work done.
    First I painted up a Belial, Master of the Deathwing, using the Stern model, then trimming any Inqusition symbols. (The book gets to stay as DA have books too.)
    He was my first bone armoured model but I'm pleased with the effect. I also have started a new weathering technique using a spong, which you can best see in the second shot. I'm also quite pleased with the eyes and blended sword, as its the first successful results I've had in either.

Belial front by Robotlord, on Flickr

Belial Back by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Next up is 3rd Tactical, 3rd Company squad's rhino. I named it Afriel, angel of young people and new ideas, as I felt it relevant.

Rhino front by Robotlord, on Flickr

Hatches closed by Robotlord, on Flickr
    It's inside is painted too!

Hatches Open by Robotlord, on Flickr
    So what do people think I should painted next. I've got a couple of Deathwing squads built, a ven. Dread built or even another tactical squad. I'm happy to paint any as I'm not in a rush to finish anything, just trying to get a nicely painted force.
    As a leaving gift, here is all of them together, as well as a request for how to improve group photos.

All together now! by Robotlord, on Flickr
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, those that don't, and those who also know about base 3.

Ever on the Wing, a Dark Angel plog *Updated 09/08/15* *Half the Deathwing, Mark III armour, Deimos Rhino *

Nice little force you have coming together, looking really good so far.

ElTanko
    ElTanko's Spare Time - Click! - Updated 8th July 2011

ROUSING THE BRAYHERD - BEASTMEN - Updated 24th July 2011

Chapter Master

I'd have tried to remove the psychic hood from Stern, but he otherwise looks cool

I removed the psykic (sp?) nodes on the hood and thought the rest looked quite good as ornamentation, like an armoured-collar-thing

Chaplain

This army is looking sharp!

You have some very tidy freehand painting going on, I also love your take on Belial. Should we expect some more termies and maybe a couple of awsome dreads?

Keep'em coming

@richter-
    Thanks for the kind words, just had a look at your DA, they look ace. I have 10 magnetised termies who will be painted after I finish my second tactical squad. I find they aren't as exciting as other models, so get them out of the way for now. I'll also be painting up a Venerable Dread I have built; I have someting special in mind for its base. THe freehand is someting I'm working on, as if I can start to get simple shapes done eventually I'll be able to handle the angel carrying a sword banner shown in the codex. That could be some time yet though, as I have yet to build that squad, and I tend to build 3 or 4 squads ahead.

THe current squad I'm working on is a melta squad, so melta and melti-melta weapons are the choices. Eventually they'll have a drop-pod, as a kind of tank busting squad, to try and remove any tanks guarding home-objectives.

very nice work robotlord...i hope you will get to show us more because i like dark angels...i always had a bit of a weak for them...and yours look nice with the extra details on the legs and shoulders....
    the melta squad also sounds interesting

Extra details on the shoulders hey, funny you should say that 'eh. I've got all the green armour done for the 10 of them so I thought I'd treat myself with a new technique. For the Vet Sgt. I thought I would try some NMM on his shoulder pad sword, to mark him out as differnt to the others. Just in case the robes, banner and power fist weren't enough.
    So here it is.

2nd Tactical Sgt shoulder pad by Robotlord, on Flickr

No comments, :cries:
    Ah well, I have updates. First, I have finished the tactical squad, but until I base them up I don't want to show them off just yet. However I have done the venerable dread and base, and I'm really pleased with him. I particularly like using some of the new Metallics from GW, the brass/bronzes especially. The new shades, not so much, but I do still have pleanty of Gryphonne Sypia, to finish off the Deathwig element.
    So without further ado, here is Brother Gideon.

Venerable Dread Front by Robotlord, on Flickr

Venerable Dread Plasma Cannon by Robotlord, on Flickr

Venerable Dread Back by Robotlord, on Flickr

Venerable Dread Combat Weapon by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Thanks for reading, please leave a comment.
    Please.

very nice...
    from what i can see you did a pretty good job on the non metallic metal.
    Gideon also looks pretty impressive...perhaps you could still highlight the gold...that would really finish him off...
    further more...id say...keep it up!

Not much done, just touche ups on Belial, as per the kind recommendations of people on TWF.
    The lightings better than the last time we saw Belial, but still not great.

New Belial by Robotlord, on Flickr

New Belial Side by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Still, I think he looks better. I changed most of the gold to a bronzey colour, and shaded and glazed the sword hilt. Perhaps more noticably, I changed his hair and cloak to black. I think it makes him look a bit less samey.

So I finally based 2nd tactical squad, 3rd company. They are designated Squad Marcus, after their Vet. Sgt.
    Therefore, he seems like a good person to start with.

Vet. Sgt. Marcus by Robotlord, on Flickr
    And the shoulder pad.

Vet Sgt Marcus shoulder detail by Robotlord, on Flickr
    I promised you a melta tac squad, so here is the mutlimelta, which I made from 2 melta guns, glued and greenstuffed together.

Multi-melta gunner by Robotlord, on Flickr
    I painted kill stripes to represent major kills. I will add to them every time he kills something AV13 or higher.
    So here is the rest of the squad.

Squad Marcus front rank by Robotlord, on Flickr

Squad Marcus 2nd rank by Robotlord, on Flickr
    I think there is a marked improvement over my first marines, but still room for more.
    So thats it. Feel free to leave a comment, or even suggest what to paint next. I have termies, a drop pod, command squad and a land raider. Also, do you think I should convert a Chaplain or a Chapter Master?

Very nice Dark Angels robotlord. I particularly like the deathwing dread. Very smooth.

Emilio

Sorry for the lack of updates, exams and stuff have meant I've had little time for hobby. However I did manage to get a chaplain for my 3rd company done, as well as a test piece for my Deathwing.
    So here is Chaplain Maiom, named for and angel of self-discipline( kinda apt I think). Considering he has only been a fully fledged chaplain for little over a year, he has built up an impressive collection of ornamentation, most of it concerning Piscina IV, where he was first recognized as a potential candidate for chaplaincy, when he rallied his squad after the death of his Squad Sargent. As a memento of that day, he has kept half of his left shoulder pad black, representing his guilt that he did not react fast enough to save his sargent's life.

Chaplain Maiom by Robotlord, on Flickr

Chaplain Maiom from the left by Robotlord, on Flickr

Deathwing Test Model by Robotlord, on Flickr

Deathwing Test Model Arms by Robotlord, on Flickr
    The termi is lying down as he's not yet based. The barrel of his gun was damaged when I got his, hence why he is the test piece.

Hello again. I've got another 2 termies done now. I'm really taking a long time on the armour in particular, as it's so easy to make a mistake with it. However, the method gives good results, and my freehand is also improving. I hope to get it up to the standard where I can paint this standard, (hehe)

P7110292 by Robotlord, on Flickr
    So here are the pics

P7110288 by Robotlord, on Flickr

P7110289 by Robotlord, on Flickr

P7110290 by Robotlord, on Flickr

P7110291 by Robotlord, on Flickr

P7110293 by Robotlord, on Flickr
    Comments would be greatly appreciated, in particular some advice on how to improve and/or tips for the banner (or even a tutorial if I'm really lucky.)

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Robotlord View Post
    Hello again. I've got another 2 termies done now. I'm really taking a long time on the armour in particular, as it's so easy to make a mistake with it. However, the method gives good results, and my freehand is also improving. I hope to get it up to the standard where I can paint this standard, (hehe)
    if you check my thread, I did this very banner freehand.

Chapter Master

also, if you grab one of the dark angel upgrade boxes (can't remember which), but if you add a lot of bling to the banner after you've painted it, it'll will draw eye away from the poor freehand. That's what I do to cover up my lack of freehand skill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast