View Poll Results: Do you want GW to make their hobby articles available again?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them available.

237 91.15%
  • No, they're dated and they should have been taken down.

15 5.77%
  • No opinion on the matter.

8 3.08%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Petition - Bring Back Hobby Articles

Re: Petition - Bring Back Hobby Articles

I got a letter from Mark Wells today:

"Thank you for your letter regarding the removal of Hobby articles from the Games Workshop website. I'm sorry to hear you will miss them, so I thought I should explain why this happened.

As you might imagine, every now and again we need to prune what we have on the website. The decision to remove a page is normally prompted when the number of visits drops below a de minimis amount or when the page contains references to products that are no longer available. It's certainly not a decision that was intended to cause inconvenience for our hobbyists, indeed most of our time is spent on creating new Hobby material rather than removing it.

As you mention yourself, this is what we are doing with the Hobby tips each month in White Dwarf, in our daily 'What's New Today' blog on the website, or in one of the 'How to Paint...' series of books. Over the last few months we have been investing in more people in the Design Studio and White Dwarf teams to ensure we can have great hobby articles to support the amount of product we plan to release each month.

So while I can understand your disappointment at losing some of our older web articles I hope that over time we will have plenty more new articles for you to use for your Hobby projects.

In the meantime, good luck with those Dark Elves!

Yours sincerely,

Mark Wells"
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 29-02-2012 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii Monkey View Post
    Over the last few months we have been investing in more people in the Design Studio and White Dwarf teams to ensure we can have great hobby articles to support the amount of product we plan to release each month.

So while I can understand your disappointment at losing some of our older web articles I hope that over time we will have plenty more new articles for you to use for your Hobby projects.
    A decent letter, was pleased to get a reply, don't think we will see any online painting articles back in the short term, but the above part about boosting the White Dwarf team is a positive, and hopefully over time we'll get a lot more painting tutorials, was certainly quite pleased with this month's White Dwarf. A little disappointed but a fair reply.

A decent letter, was pleased to get a reply, don't think we will see any online painting articles back in the short term, but the above part about boosting the White Dwarf team is a positive, and hopefully over time we'll get a lot more painting tutorials, was certainly quite pleased with this month's White Dwarf. A little disappointed but a fair reply.
    The real hope is that they just put them back up when the new paints drop. I imagine they will. It's always made me pop down to the store to get a paint i didn't have if I saw it in a painting guide that I found inspirational.

Yes i hope so too. I hope they realise the benefits of free guides in generating sales - a good painting step-by-step is as you say also a great paint shopping list.

Also, if it's all centered around White Dwarf means a bit of a wait for another Dark Elf Corsair article. With Dark Elves apparently in late 2013 that's a while to go, and even then can't see them redoing the corsair kit so all the painting tutorials will no doubt focus on other things. Will be the same story for plenty of other kits.

With all this in mind I can see them getting back some free painting guides on the site, once the new team members have had a chance to settle in, and once these alleged new paints are out.

OK, i'll try, the big one for me was the Dark Elf Corsair article. I did ask GW customer service for it, but they said i could not have it as it was not available. Not at all helpful. I will see if i can find a separate email address for What's New Today.

So they deleted a number of useful online painting articles and now they have no record of them anywhere? Bizarre. I may try customer services again to see if there is an update on this story. Just seems weird. Also, agree they are a nice bunch.

I tried looking for that Dark Elf Corsair article. I could find the page where they show how to assemble them, but not the pages with the actual painting guide, unfortunately.

Cool, an email from the man himself.

Now that we have his email address I'm sure we have a few other issues to bring to his attention...

It was a letter i sent to Mark Wells by post, that he replied to and i typed up. No direct email address i'm afraid or bat phone hotline number.

That's nice that Wells responded to your letter. I don't think we'll see any kind of resolution to this until the new paints are launched.

I rewrote the letter:

"Marketing told us to answer customer letters like politicians talk. Lots of nice "bla bla" without coming to the point. You get better ready for this. Thank you so much for your thoughtful letter. I'm not sorry that we removed the articles you miss but I'm telling you I'm sorry to hear you will miss them.

Marketing told us not to explain business decisions to customers. So I (I'm not Mark Wells of course, but he will seriously sign this later) thought I should not explain why this happened, but rather tell you some made up stuff.

As you might imagine, every now and again our website content gets dusty. There is a lot of dust in the air here at the hosting site. The decision to remove a page is normally prompted when the dust on the page just gets too much to clean it off. Be sure that we knew that removing the content will cause inconvenience for our hobbyists, as this is a no brainer. We did it nevertheless as our goal is not to have happy customers but to earn some cash. You might wonder how we earn cash with deleting pages. Thus you better forget the last part as it makes no sense.

Lets rather talk some bla bla again. As you mention yourself, were great in what we are doing but you need to pay us. Buy our fantastic "White Dwarf" or our gorgeous painting books! Over the last few months we have been investing in more people to support the amount of products we plan to release each month. You should buy our new products. Fluffy stuff. What I certainly not want to happen is that you start now to paint your old stock of 1000+ units for the next decade while using our free articles. That won't happen. You will buy new units, new colours, new books.

So while I knew that you will be disappointed I hope that over time you get over it and buy our new stuff.

In the meantime, let me tell you that I personally feel sorry for you as you completely wasted your time when reading this letter.

Yours sincerely,

Made Up Wells"

Quote Originally Posted by lbecks View Post
    That's nice that Wells responded to your letter. I don't think we'll see any kind of resolution to this until the new paints are launched.
    Indeed was really pleased to get the reply, also if they do a new How to Paint book with the new paints will be quite excited - really enjoy books jam-packed with painting tutorials.
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 02-03-2012 at 19:25.

Druchii Monkey, did you get the DE guides you wanted? Someone actually posted in this thread that he had them but his post seems to have disappeared.
    Mentor Legion Army Blog (Complete)
    Orks in four systems (40K, AI, BFG, Epic)
    BFG: 100% sold
    AI: 100% sold
    40K: selling
    Epic: keeping for now
    Currently working on other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spaint2k View Post
    Druchii Monkey, did you get the DE guides you wanted? Someone actually posted in this thread that he had them but his post seems to have disappeared.
    There is a Corsair White Dwarf article, and there have been some very helpful people on this thread who have explained what this contains. However, as far as i am aware, in the case of this article, it focuses mainly on the lacquered armour effect and is not a full Corsair stage by stage.

Also the reason some earlier posts were removed is that this thread is purposed with the discussion of bringing back the articles on the GW site and not getting hold of the articles by other means - we have to respect GW's ultimate right to these articles and to do with them as they wish.
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 02-03-2012 at 08:36.

If it really was Mark, then thanks for the reply. But the reasoning is strange. So ALL articles had low hit count??? lol And it's not like they take up so much space on the server that they need to be removed.

We will have to wait and see what the real reason was until the new paints come.

And also - they INCREASED the "White Dwarf teams to ensure we can have great hobby articles to support the amount of product we plan to release" ? Really? Than how come almost a 4th of the magazine is 2-page adverts instead of hobby articles? And how come there has been no true, advanced Masterclass in OVER A YEAR? Yeah mass-army guides are good for speed-painting, but in every issue there should be an advanced focus on a hero. I DO like some of the schemes they present recently (VC's seemed good, Skullvane guide seemed sweet, some stages in this issue were OK) but there could be so much more in terms of painting.

Quote Originally Posted by M'ichal View Post
    And also - they INCREASED the "White Dwarf teams to ensure we can have great hobby articles to support the amount of product we plan to release" ? Really? Than how come almost a 4th of the magazine is 2-page adverts instead of hobby articles?
    I think he's talking about the near future - the next 3-6 months will hopefully show us what he means. I'm hoping these words have substance, and that we see some good stuff when the new paints release or shortly after, including some new free site articles. Let's give them a chance.

Of course all the articles don't have low hit count, but then Wells can't just come out and say, "Well, we're revamping the paints soon, and those articles will be out of date in a month or so anyway."
    SG

Epic: Armageddon
    Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrar Ghost View Post
    Of course all the articles don't have low hit count, but then Wells can't just come out and say, "Well, we're revamping the paints soon, and those articles will be out of date in a month or so anyway."
    yeah, it must be that. Question is, will they put some free articles up once the paints are released or will they try to puch the new painting book/WD. Business-wise, the latter makes the most sense, which means no free articles at least for a few months.

yeah, it must be that. Question is, will they put some free articles up once the paints are released or will they try to puch the new painting book/WD. Business-wise, the latter makes the most sense, which means no free articles at least for a few months.
    To be honest I'd be happy to pay for a bunch of the articles in book form. In fact given the choice of finding them on the web for free, or getting them in a book for a cost I would choose the latter.
    The Hammer and I
    Looking for other Warhammer Fantasy players in the Bicester/Buckingham/Aylesbury area for informal games - can host. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordBelial View Post
    To be honest I'd be happy to pay for a bunch of the articles in book form. In fact given the choice of finding them on the web for free, or getting them in a book for a cost I would choose the latter.
    your preference, but I think you represent a minority. It would have to be in a form of several books anyway because I don't think all those articles they had would fit in the size of hobby books they usually release. Looking at the last How To book, it was quite decent, but if you wanted tutorials for specific troops, then the book didn't cover them.
    Last edited by M'ichal; 04-03-2012 at 00:04.

your preference, but I think you represent a minority. It would have to be in a form of several books anyway because I don't think all those articles they had would fit in the size of hobby books they usually release. Looking at the last How To book, it was quite decent, but if you wanted tutorials for specific troops, then the book didn't cover them.
    You're probably right, I'm in a minority - but then I've always been something of a print junkie.

I'm a sucker for glossy pictures.
    The Hammer and I
    Looking for other Warhammer Fantasy players in the Bicester/Buckingham/Aylesbury area for informal games - can host. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordBelial View Post
    You're probably right, I'm in a minority - but then I've always been something of a print junkie.

I'm a sucker for glossy pictures.
    Me too, i'd like both though, loads of painting articles in a book and loads of basic step by steps online.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast