View Poll Results: Do you want GW to make their hobby articles available again?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them available.

237 91.15%
  • No, they're dated and they should have been taken down.

15 5.77%
  • No opinion on the matter.

8 3.08%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition - Bring Back Hobby Articles

Re: Petition - Bring Back Hobby Articles

It's still on the GW site chaps - just need to go straight to the PDF:
    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ss_Chaos_Lord_
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 09-02-2012 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii Monkey View Post
    Practically all of the stage-by-stage and assembly guides have been removed
    Bleedin' Nora. I didn't kick up half as much of a stink when they removed the articles that went beyond the 'glue-arm-onto-shoulder' box inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Verm1s View Post
    Bleedin' Nora. I didn't kick up half as much of a stink when they removed the articles that went beyond the 'glue-arm-onto-shoulder' box inserts.
    Kicking up a stink is it?
    Get yourself to bed Verm1s - it's way past your bed time.

But seriously - good to see you - and i'd like the Dark Elf Corsairs stage by stage back please, and the other 100+ articles!

Scout

i personally love a good step by step guide ans as for privateer press articles they dont tell or show you not only how to but more critically where to put a nice highlight on your blood angels shiny red armour and as red is notoriously difficult to highlight properly a good step by step is a brilliant aid to painters noobies and experienced alike if you have never done that particular paint scheme before. BRING THEM BACK............ please

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'm guessing their decision to take down the articles was due in no small part to detracting sales from the painting guides the GW rep mentioned something like 4 times in your email exchange. Remember the ol' GW motto:

"Why give something away for free when you can charge for it?"

I don't know Lord Dan. I've bought both their most recent How To Paint book and 'Eavy Metal Masterclass book - worth getting even with the online articles. Also, their online painting articles were too broad to be covered in a book, and i think just like their free painting lessons in hobby stores they helped to drive sales. Think it's misguided to remove them in the hopes of selling more How To Paint and Masterclass books especially just before the rumoured change to the paint range. Not sure what GW are up to, to be honest. The official story at the moment is certainly suspect. Hoping we get a pleasant surprise in the next two or three weeks but not counting on it.

You know, a lack of step-by-step guides doesn't have to stop people from painting. You could come up with your own ideas.
    Sounds to me like GW shouldn't put the old articles up, but replace them with new articles that actually teach techniques and basic colour theory rather than how to paint one specific model in one specific way.

I see where you are coming from and as someone who used the step-by-steps extensively I did sometimes feel guilty that I was just copying.

That said, why can't we have both!
    The Hammer and I
    Looking for other Warhammer Fantasy players in the Bicester/Buckingham/Aylesbury area for informal games - can host. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Mongar View Post
    You know, a lack of step-by-step guides doesn't have to stop people from painting. You could come up with your own ideas.
    Sounds to me like GW shouldn't put the old articles up, but replace them with new articles that actually teach techniques and basic colour theory rather than how to paint one specific model in one specific way.
    I appreciate this is well intentioned, but the existing GW books and other online resources cover colour theory and techniques quite well already.

The need that these articles fulfilled for me was to get a Dark Elf army painted up to look very much like the armies in the book without any more effort then simply following the instructions. I don't have a lot of time for my hobby each week unfortunately and these stage by stage guides made life an awful lot easier. It was really satisfying to follow them and see a Dark Elf army take shape over time that looked very much like the one in the book.

To be honest your argument is a little like saying "why have recipe books, you can just teach people the principles of cookery instead."
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 13-02-2012 at 10:36.

Brother Sergeant

How come this thread is not visible from the GW General Discussion page? Also seems like a heap of posts were culled from this post... curious.

*edit* it seems making this post put it back on the GW General Discussion page.

Quote Originally Posted by tentfox View Post
    How come this thread is not visible from the GW General Discussion page? Also seems like a heap of posts were culled from this post... curious.

*edit* it seems making this post put it back on the GW General Discussion page.
    We've been going off topic. We need to stick to the subject of the poll - whether GW should bring back the hobby articles or not - and not how we can find/replace the missing hobby articles ourselves. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 13-02-2012 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii Monkey View Post
    I appreciate this is well intentioned, but the existing GW books and other online resources cover colour theory and techniques quite well already.

The need that these articles fulfilled for me was to get a Dark Elf army painted up to look very much like the armies in the book without any more effort then simply following the instructions. I don't have a lot of time for my hobby each week unfortunately and these stage by stage guides made life an awful lot easier. It was really satisfying to follow them and see a Dark Elf army take shape over time that looked very much like the one in the book.

To be honest your argument is a little like saying "why have recipe books, you can just teach people the principles of cookery instead."
    Fair enough, I see your point about them being a time saver. I just think that, like cooking, it's so much more rewarding when you come up with your own take on something, but I can appreciate that it does take some time to sort out a colour scheme in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Mongar View Post
    Fair enough, I see your point about them being a time saver. I just think that, like cooking, it's so much more rewarding when you come up with your own take on something, but I can appreciate that it does take some time to sort out a colour scheme in its entirety.
    I agree with you that's it's rewarding, i'm just short on time - and arguably even when people have loads of time for their hobby, some people work best with the cookbook approach and others on principles - personally in an ideal world i like both, which is what i feel we used to have from GW - both - bring back the articles please GW!

Chapter Master

That, and you don't need to lift the design wholesale. While I have my own ideas for my DE, I really wanted to match the skin of the ones in the codex as it looked fantastic. Thankfully I was about to find the WD (and get some help on here) to do it as those articles had been taken down too.

How can they expect you to buy the Masterclass book for the guides when it's a limited run? It will run out eventually... I know I had great trouble finding this book in Poland, I only managed to find one store that still had it in stock. And with the rumored changes to the paint range the currently available guides will soon be as useless as the online articles that got removed. The main difference? They can still sell you some of those before the new line materializes, hard to do with free stuff... :/

Oh, and props to Druchii for providing the links, I saved all the pdfs for future use.

I CALL ABSOLUTE SHENANIGANS ON GAMES WORKSHOP!!!!!!

I agree with you 1000000%, Monkey. I feel your pain, especially because I'm looking for the same three Dark Elf articles!

It seems like GW is copypasta-ing the same response for all of our complaints about the removal of these articles in the e-mails.
    I know one things for certain.....I won't stop harassing GW Customer Service until I at least the issue numbers of these articles, If not cached web pages.

Absolute shenanigans - i agree - i was absolutely fuming and now still feeling very let down by GW. Take it easy on customer services though Zacho Max - there's not much they can do on this one. Ring them up and let them know your thoughts, a couple of polite emails, and then send a letter to GW is probably best, although important to let them know how seriously this has affected you.

I have had no reply from GW to my letters by the way, i am assuming they haven't read them or that with the alleged new paint range out at the end of the month they will have a new How To Paint book, and re-release most of the articles with the new paint names and perhaps a chart allowing you to map old paint names to new ones - one can only hope.

For those who are trying to find some of the WD issue numbers for the articles they are looking for head over to Dakka Dakka's WD index.
    I've found it pretty useful for finding some of the articles. This is for everypony's use.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Wh...28US%29#WD_301

BTW, Monkey. I called GW. This guy was a c00l d00d and actually gave my info instead of an apology. He says that The Dark Elf articles we are looking are in the WD 200's which they dont have in their database, nor does
    Dakka Dakka have em' either.

You can have some success with archive.org if you are creative (ie hit stop and look at page source). There's only a few of the articles that can be found that way, but it's worth a try for those of you desperately looking for a specific article.

I can also add that there was quite a discussion over at Games Workshop's facebook page. A lot of upset fans. I emailed whatsnewtoday, and while they could not put the articles back, they were quite helpful. If you are having problems and missing one particular article, it might be worth a try to email them.
    Last edited by Deathjester99; 23-02-2012 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathjester99 View Post
    You can have some success with archive.org if you are creative (ie hit stop and look at page source). There's only a few of the articles that can be found that way, but it's worth a try for those of you desperately looking for a specific article.

I can also add that there was quite a discussion over at Games Workshop's facebook page. A lot of upset fans. I emailed whatsnewtoday, and while they could not put the articles back, they were quite helpful. If you are having problems and missing one particular article, it might be worth a try to email them.
    OK, i'll try, the big one for me was the Dark Elf Corsair article. I did ask GW customer service for it, but they said i could not have it as it was not available. Not at all helpful. I will see if i can find a separate email address for What's New Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacho Max View Post
    BTW, Monkey. I called GW. This guy was a c00l d00d and actually gave my info instead of an apology. He says that The Dark Elf articles we are looking are in the WD 200's which they dont have in their database, nor does
    Dakka Dakka have em' either.
    So they deleted a number of useful online painting articles and now they have no record of them anywhere? Bizarre. I may try customer services again to see if there is an update on this story. Just seems weird. Also, agree they are a nice bunch.
    Last edited by Druchii Monkey; 23-02-2012 at 13:06.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast