Thread: Wood Elf 1500 points by a new Wood Elf player

Wood Elf 1500 points by a new Wood Elf player

Fantasy Army: Wood Elf
    Hi folks,

looking for some advice on 1500 point list for Wood Elves. Been playing WFB for a while (started out with 2nd Ed) however for the vast majority of the time I've played Dwarves. Quite fancied Wood Elves as they are a massive change from what I'm used to, and playing them will hopefully broaden my tactical mind-set a bit. Also, some of the models are damn nice....

A few things I'd like to point out when considering this list: I've never played as Wood Elves, or played against a Wood Elf army, or even known someone who has Wood Elves. So after some research on t'internet, it would seem that most Wood Elf players advocate the use of multiple, small units attacking simultaneously from different angles, and by using superior maneuverability and harrassing tactics to put an opponent into a position where this can be achieved. Hence, the following list:

LORDS

Highborn, Wardancer Kindred, Blades of Loec, Annoyance of Netlings - 255

HEROES

Spellsinger, upgraded to Lvl 2 wizard, Divination Orb - 150
    Branchwraith, upgraded to Lvl 1 wizard, Cluster of Radiants - 140

CORE

12 x Glade Guards, musician - 150
    12 x Glade Guards, musician - 150
    5 x Glade Riders, musician - 129
    9 x Dryads - 108

SPECIAL

9 x Wardances, musician - 169
    3 x Tree Kin - 195

RARE

Great Eagle - 50

TOTAL 1496

Lord will be with the Wardancer Troupe and the Branchwraith with the Dryads, hence the odd numbers.

Concept of operations is to use the Glade Guard to attrite enemy units and to screen the Wardancers and Treekin until they are in a good position to charge. Dryads can operate as a reserve and assist the 'heavy hitters' with charges to the flank. Eagle can go for vulnerable solo targets like war machines. Glade Riders are there to annoy the hell out of my oppisition, and to encourage them to divert forces away from the main effort to counter them, also possibly going for war machines as well. I figure they'll also be handy to draw out Gobbo fanatics as well (one of my regular opponents fields an all-Night Goblin army).

Two things I'm not 100% sure about are the Glade Riders and the Lord/Hero setup I have. Consensus seems to be split for Wood Elf players for Glade Riders as to whether they are completely useless or good for harrassing an enemy.

Lord/hero setup is a bit of a new one for me, as my other army are Dwarves, and at 1500 points I usually have just enough for a Thane BSB and Runelord with Anvil of Doom, not a lot of options there! I do like the idea of a Wardancer Lord to enhance the already considerable combat power of the Troupe, and the model is pretty cool as well! I also have no experience with 8th edition magic, except for shutting down my opponents magic phase with the stunties....

All constructive criticism is welcome!

Re: Wood Elf 1500 points by a new Wood Elf player

I really like the theme of your list (Mixed elf/tree spirit, little bit of everything), and that you're taking Glade Riders. I use them myself in 2 sets of 6, they die every game but I really like to use them in fleeing from charges, annoying and redirecting. There is a couple of things about your list that I'd change though.
    First of all, if you plan on playing the missions from the rulebook, you are going to auto-lose 16.6% of your games. In the 'Blood and Glory' scenario's it's all about destroying the enemies banners, and since you don't have any, you lose. Try and get some banners on your GG units, and if your balls are made of steel (and if you have enough points) take a banner on the Glade Riders as well. Also, take the flaming banner! Nothing says 'DIE REGENERATING MONSTROSITY, DIE!!!' quite like 12 S4 flaming shots.
    Secondly, I think you have too much points in Lords and Heroes. I understand that a combat lord sounds awesome, but Wood Elves really benefit more from a Lord level caster. Take a lvl 3 (upgrade to lvl 4 if you have the points) with either a dispel scroll of the wand of witch elm, and a lore to suit your playstyle (I'd go with Lore of Beasts in this case). Then, drop the lvl 2 mage and take a hero with great weapon, glittering scales and the item that makes enemies in b2b strike last. Should tally up to exactly 50pts if I'm not mistaken. Put this guy with your Wardancers instead. He doesn't get any groovy dances, but 3 S6 attacks instead. Also I'd drop the Branchwraith. The lore of athel loren isn't all that good, and 9-10 dryads get the job done on those units weakened by missile fire easily enough.
    10 Wardancers sure is a lot. Don't forget that you only get 1 attack from the second rank, even if you're a totally hip and cool wardancer. Maybe get a couple more and split them up in 2x6 or 2x7, so you can make sure all of your dancing hippies get to work to their full potential. Then, if you have some points left, take an extra eagle. These babies are golden.
    And that's about it! Good luck!

Chapter Master Trains_Get_Robbed's Avatar

Looks good, maybe a m.g tommy bulid for lord character build instead to generate more shooting, or HoDA on one of the Mages.
    When I was a young Warthog, we used to know the books five months before release.

All aboard the Wood Elf bandwagon!

\m/___>.<___\m/

Quote Originally Posted by BertusB View Post
    First of all, if you plan on playing the missions from the rulebook, you are going to auto-lose 16.6% of your games. In the 'Blood and Glory' scenario's it's all about destroying the enemies banners, and since you don't have any, you lose. Try and get some banners on your GG units, and if your balls are made of steel (and if you have enough points) take a banner on the Glade Riders as well. Also, take the flaming banner! Nothing says 'DIE REGENERATING MONSTROSITY, DIE!!!' quite like 12 S4 flaming shots.
    Hmm, wasn't really aware of that scenario...everything I've read seems to indicate that banners on most Wood Elf units are a bit of a waste, as small unit size and relatively low survivability means the enemy won't have too much of a problem killing them. I do like the idea of the Flaming Banner as well, though I'm a tad nervous about spending the points to give it to a fairly vulnerable unit like Glade Guards....something to think about though!

Secondly, I think you have too much points in Lords and Heroes. I understand that a combat lord sounds awesome, but Wood Elves really benefit more from a Lord level caster. Take a lvl 3 (upgrade to lvl 4 if you have the points) with either a dispel scroll of the wand of witch elm, and a lore to suit your playstyle (I'd go with Lore of Beasts in this case). Then, drop the lvl 2 mage and take a hero with great weapon, glittering scales and the item that makes enemies in b2b strike last. Should tally up to exactly 50pts if I'm not mistaken. Put this guy with your Wardancers instead. He doesn't get any groovy dances, but 3 S6 attacks instead. Also I'd drop the Branchwraith. The lore of athel loren isn't all that good, and 9-10 dryads get the job done on those units weakened by missile fire easily enough.
    Wasn't really sure about whether to go for a Lord caster or not, my normal Dwarf tendencies make me mistrust the value of magic, but on consideration I like the idea of replacing that with a Lord caster and a hero to bolster the Wardancers. The high S attacks should certainly help them take down tougher opponents which is something I've worried about Wood Elves doing.

Agree about the Branchwraith as well, to be honest the main reason I went for one was to then get the Cluster of Radiants for the extra dispel dice - another Dwarf-mindset choice!

10 Wardancers sure is a lot. Don't forget that you only get 1 attack from the second rank, even if you're a totally hip and cool wardancer. Maybe get a couple more and split them up in 2x6 or 2x7, so you can make sure all of your dancing hippies get to work to their full potential.
    Good point, I've maybe been overly worried about the Wardancers being attrited before they reach close combat.

Then, if you have some points left, take an extra eagle. These babies are golden.
    I did initially want to take two, so dropping a few Wardancers to get one sounds like a good compromise!

And that's about it! Good luck!
    Thanks very much mate, appreciate the advice!

Veteran Sergeant

Let me start this by saying i love your list, but having 3 heroes in that small game isn't the best idea, especially with overpriced army like the wood elves. you should drop the branchwrath and make your archers unit of with standard bearer and musician 10 and unit of 20 with musician and standard bearer with the banner of flaming attacks, and since you are using a lord with no armor you should get amaranthine brooch to protect your huge points investment, between the spites and the ward you are nearly untouchable so you could send your lord to hold even the toughest units in the game.