Thread: Forgefather helms

Forgefather helms

I'm thinking about buying some forgefathers , however i'm not a fan of the steel warriors , the heads i dont like. However i'm a much bigger fan of the enclosed helm style of the stormrage veterans. Does the 'upgrade sprue' contain those style of helms or are they the other kind ?

Re: Forgefather helms

They're the enclosed helmets as seen on the Drakkarim models.
    If you play any of Mantic's games, check out my Battlescribe project for KoW and Warpath.

[imghttp://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/1773.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg[/img]

For your viewing pleasure. I agree with you that anything other than an enclosed head is just a no go on the FF.

Is it this one ?

^ No. That's the plastic enclosed helm that you get on the steel warrior sprue. You get one of those for every 2 models, and you don't have to use any of the "fantasy heads with goggles" if you don't want to.

The helms included in the bitz pack can be seen on these models:

However, keep in mind that you won't just be able to buy a "heads bits pack" and place the heads on half of the steel warriors, as the second steel warrior on the sprue (the one with the open-faced sci-fi helm) is a 1-piece head/torso/arms/gun piece which cannot be converted or have it's head swapped. You'd also have to buy a torso and gun bitz pack as well beore you can replace the head.

Here's a pic of the steel warrior sprue to illustrate what I mean:

The only really ugly heads are the fantasy dwarf ones on the right-hand side of the sprue, which were designed to be used with goggles to sci-fi them up. However, you don't need to use either of them when building the models.

If you're not a fan of the moulded-together head/torso/arms/gun piece making up half of your models, then this is where the bitz packs come in.. every rocket launcher you get allows you to throw one of them away, as does every metal torso and head with dragon breath or rifle that you buy.

As an example, I'll be getting a head pack, 2x torso pack, 1x dragon breath pack, 1x rifle pack, and about 4 rocket launchers to spruce up about 40 steel warriors, allowing me to throw away 14 of the monopose torsos, and fix the clone trooper issue.
    Last edited by scarletsquig; 11-02-2012 at 14:21.
    If you play any of Mantic's games, check out my Battlescribe project for KoW and Warpath.

edited the post
    Last edited by cornonthecob; 12-02-2012 at 18:30.

Out of interest I noticed that the Steel Warrior tactical upgrade sprue has been released now. Has anyone got one yet, and if so what are their comments concerning it? Assuming that they are not identical to the Drakkarim above (but with normal weapons) some photos would be great as well!
    ‘General! Your warriors were the eaters of cities, lord, but with you to command us the War Hounds will be the eaters of worlds!’ For a moment Angron Swayed, his eyes and fists closed. But then he looked at Dreagher, from there to Khârn. And he smiled. ‘World Eaters,’ he said, slowly, tasting the sounds. ‘World Eaters. So you shall be, then, little brothers...’

Please take a look at my Pre-heresy World Eaters Blog! http://www.eatersofworlds.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    As an example, I'll be getting a head pack, 2x torso pack, 1x dragon breath pack, 1x rifle pack, and about 4 rocket launchers to spruce up about 40 steel warriors, allowing me to throw away 14 of the monopose torsos, and fix the clone trooper issue.
    What sort of cost will that involve Scarlet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.

I too would like to know a cost. I'd love to buy more Forgefathers and make a totally enclosed helm small force, but I can't quite see what you're buying from where (outright buying Drakkarims, Tactical Upgrade kits, a mix of both?) and it seems a bit pricey.

Costs are all on the mantic website.

Not what I asked entirely, but never mind.
    Last edited by Zond; 01-03-2012 at 19:33. Reason: Cba asking for more clarification again

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    Costs are all on the mantic website.
    Roger that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zond View Post
    I too would like to know a cost. I'd love to buy more Forgefathers and make a totally enclosed helm small force, but I can't quite see what you're buying from where (outright buying Drakkarims, Tactical Upgrade kits, a mix of both?) and it seems a bit pricey.
    Well for every Steel Warrior sprue you get two sets of legs, three heads (of which one is enclosed) and an all-in-one torso that has a head and a gun attached (the face is actually an enclosed, stylized helm incidentally). So if you want to do a totally enclosed army and skip the all-in-one bodies then you would build units like so:

5x Steel Warrior Sprues
    1x Enclosed Helm Pack
    1x Torso Pack
    1x Rifle Pack

This will give you 10 troopers with enclosed helms and no cookie-cutter bodies. If you want to add a heavy weapon then grab a missile launcher or flamer pack. If you want to mix things up even more then grab the legs pack as well to help things out. But the bare minimum for a 10-man squad is one each of the helm (gives you 10 heads incidentally so you will have extras from this and only need to by one per two 10-man squads), torso and rifle packs.

I built most of my guys from my starter box but I am holding off a few to upgrade when I get some spare cash and I will be getting a few metal bits on them to make them look extra unique (and to get some heavy weapons in there).

Once I get all that finished up then it is on to waiting for the Forge Guard and Iron Ancestor (and battle armour Huscarl if we get one). Loves me my hulking suits of power armour.

Thanks for that post Ronin_eX, it was extremely useful!
    ‘General! Your warriors were the eaters of cities, lord, but with you to command us the War Hounds will be the eaters of worlds!’ For a moment Angron Swayed, his eyes and fists closed. But then he looked at Dreagher, from there to Khârn. And he smiled. ‘World Eaters,’ he said, slowly, tasting the sounds. ‘World Eaters. So you shall be, then, little brothers...’

Please take a look at my Pre-heresy World Eaters Blog! http://www.eatersofworlds.blogspot.com/

Reviving this thread because my intrest has revived again. Would the Kraggs tactical army upgrade deal be worth it then ?