Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What happened to the Ringwraiths after the ring was destroyed?

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Re: What happened to the Ringwraiths after the ring was destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stargorger View Post
    Would have been nice to have some, at least exposition on what was happening elsewhere.
    Isn't this talked about in the War of the Ring collection, another of those History of Middle Earth posthumous publications? I just picked up the set second-hand and am looking forward to reading it. I think it covers a lot of the other goings on during the War of the Ring, for example the orcs attacking Lothlorien, Galadriel's counter-attack and march to Dol Guldur, the Easterlings attacking Dale, etc.

There's also some more info to be found in all those appendices in the back of Return of the King.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Weeeell…yes, and no. It discusses it. But far as I remember, not in any great detail. I mean, I know generally what else happened/was going on. But I wish we’d had more detail. Like, what sorts of troops were in the battles, etc. At least from a gamer’s perspective. The less that game-makers (or gamers themselves) have to invent from scratch to play, the better IMO.

The Grey company did not fight at Helm's Deep. They arrived at Dunharg, accompanying Aragorn on his further way (Paths of the dead, Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Battle at the Black Gate).
    Somebody wake up Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargorger View Post
    The less that game-makers (or gamers themselves) have to invent from scratch to play, the better IMO.
    Ah gotcha.

Well, in a pinch you could play the Battle of Dale without any house rules, running Dain Ironfoot and an army of dwarves alongside King Brand (just use a generic human king profile) and an army of Rohirrim. I think Rohirrim are a perfectly acceptible substitute for men of Eregion, since GW did it themselves in a WD scenario several years back. Toss in an additional dwarf and human king (or captain) to be Thorin III and Bard II, respectively.

The attackers were, as far as I'm aware, a pure Easterling force which translated into game terms I'm sure could include variags as well, so a mixed Easterling/Khand army would do the trick.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

Librarian

Yeah... I don't know that dale had a lot of Cavalry, but the Rohirim infantry would definitely translate well to most troops of 'middle men'.

Yeah, maybe a small group of light cavalry, but not much more than that. When we've played games with Lakemen before we just sub Rohirrim but count their throwing spears as normal spears instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3