Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HH Novel - Fear To Tread.

Re: HH Novel - Fear To Tread.

Well the info on the Black Library site has me worried about another Swallow BA catastrophe already.

the Blood Angels have long kept their true nature hidden from the rest of the Imperium
    This can only end badly...
    Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****

Guild up to join the Mat Ward Defence League!

Like Heresy Era Marines? Like Blood Angels? Check out my Heresy era Blood Angels log.

The idea that the Blood Angels were up to suspicious shenanigans before it became their 'genetic curse'? Nice. I for one don't share the worrymongering spirit exuded by Nagash66 there.
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xisor View Post
    The idea that the Blood Angels were up to suspicious shenanigans before it became their 'genetic curse'? Nice. I for one don't share the worrymongering spirit exuded by Nagash66 there.
    Giving the angels any major dark secret pre-heresy simply serves to lessen the impact of the red thirst and black rage had on them as a legion after the death of Sanguinius.

The whole point in BA fluff has always been the degeneration of perhaps the most optimistic, naive and hopeful legion, the angels is just that, an angel, who strives to make the galaxy a better place for all of humanity not only be the means of war and destruction but by actively teaching his children to respect and add to their cultural, spiritual and artistic legacy.

Given the BA legion, or gods be good Sanguinius himself some sort of dark secret or past will simply be the addition of GRIMDARK to a period meant to personify the Legions innocence at the height of their optimism and hopes for the future of the Imperium and humanity.

The fact that the vast majority of James Swallows 'additions' to BA fluff have been ill received by actual Blood Angels players ( this is based on numerous threads hosted both here and the B&C) does not in any way help to ease my 'worrymongering spirit' at this information.

If not for anything else, if the HH series gives every legion a 'dark secret' as it had done so far, then it simply succeeds in killing the special element these secrets once had when they were fewer and far between. For if everyone is special in the same way, then no one is.

The pre heresy BA never had a dark secret, and they never needed one.
    Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****

Like Heresy Era Marines? Like Blood Angels? Check out my Heresy era Blood Angels log.

If I had to make a guess what this secret is I would say the red thirst. With our latest Codex confirming that the Black Rage and Red Thirst are separate conditions that affect and interact with each other, it makes sense they would have separate origins.

Making the Red Thirst something the Blood Angels have always suffered from would Just be building on this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I've spent allot of time slamming Swallow for his BA books but his other books have earned him second chance from me. So I guess I am going to keep an open mind and judge for myself when I have the book.

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

It always amuses me when fans complain that the author has gone ahead and made additions of his own account. Seriously, people still think that in this day? I'm sure none of the other authors on the HH team or the editors had any kind of input with this or even the GW Design Studio because you know... that would be sensible.
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    Giving the angels any major dark secret pre-heresy simply serves to lessen the impact of the red thirst and black rage had on them as a legion after the death of Sanguinius.

The whole point in BA fluff has always been the degeneration of perhaps the most optimistic, naive and hopeful legion, the angels is just that, an angel, who strives to make the galaxy a better place for all of humanity not only be the means of war and destruction but by actively teaching his children to respect and add to their cultural, spiritual and artistic legacy.

Given the BA legion, or gods be good Sanguinius himself some sort of dark secret or past will simply be the addition of GRIMDARK to a period meant to personify the Legions innocence at the height of their optimism and hopes for the future of the Imperium and humanity.

The fact that the vast majority of James Swallows 'additions' to BA fluff have been ill received by actual Blood Angels players ( this is based on numerous threads hosted both here and the B&C) does not in any way help to ease my 'worrymongering spirit' at this information.

If not for anything else, if the HH series gives every legion a 'dark secret' as it had done so far, then it simply succeeds in killing the special element these secrets once had when they were fewer and far between. For if everyone is special in the same way, then no one is.

The pre heresy BA never had a dark secret, and they never needed one.
    I couldn't said that better!!!!

Hopefully i read at the aaron dembski-bowden blog this...
    "I missed most of the last Horus Heresy meeting, which is fine as I didnít have that many questions anyway, and out of all the team, Iím probably the one who least enjoys discussing his in-progress stuff. I see the value everyone gets out of the chats, and how it can change stuff from, say, a detail here or there, to the entire course of a book. I mean, weíve surely spent 6 hours or more at meetings discussing Fear to Tread in the last couple of years. Iíve known the storyline of that novel, and been around for the chats and feedback about it, since before The First Heretic was released. But I prefer to work in a little more isolation." ........so if this guy is involve in the project like that i can relax a little bit ..... i guess
    Blood angels codex...finally man!!!!!!!
    Im sorry for my bad English guys, is my second lenguaje

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk2008 View Post
    It always amuses me when fans complain that the author has gone ahead and made additions of his own account. Seriously, people still think that in this day? I'm sure none of the other authors on the HH team or the editors had any kind of input with this or even the GW Design Studio because you know... that would be sensible.
    And it amuses me when people put forward position like the above.

Do painters made famous for doing portraits somehow lose that fame because the idea and style was very likely specifically chosen and ordered by the client? If a singer ruins a good song is it the songwriters fault or that of the singers?

In the end the black library works ( and this is especially true of the HH series) by authors volunteer to take over projects with a specific idea or plot in mind, this is not to say that people are not approached to write specific books, but the ultimate decision of ' yes i can write that' or ' that sounds good i will get typing' rest SOLELY with the author. From the point others may influence the book, be it editors, other BL authors in meetings or others. But it all comes down to the writer who must take a project on, and then make or brake it on his own merit.

Bad editing may harm a good book, but it can never ruin it, however no amount of editing can save what is ultimately a badly conceived and written story.
    So if a specific writer has become infamous amongst players of a certain faction for pushing on badly received novels , which i acknowledged may not be the option of players of other factions, be it due to the problems arising from details of the faction lore, the changes in its pre-existing story line or just bad characterization regardless of any problems the book itself may have in a general sense. Is it then wrong to complain about the writer in question?

I think not, but then again it may just be me.

That doesn't make it any better in the eyes of some, Shadowhawk. I agree with the thrust Nagash's point here, this is a bad move on the part of the Black Library/GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether
    That's Darnok for ya: No matter what it is, he'll make it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
    That doesn't make it any better in the eyes of some, Shadowhawk. I agree with the thrust Nagash's point here, this is a bad move on the part of the Black Library/GW.
    You can't call this a bad move until you have read the book. C'mon now, common sense applies here. Until you have read the book any comments pertaining to how bad the book will be, or if it will upset the 40k universe, or something similar, are plain ignorant.

Read the book, make a decision. Books are entirely subjective after all, so no one is going to bat an eyelid if someone else likes or dislikes the novel. At least give it the benefit of a doubt.
    Reason not to hate Mat Ward #62: Mat Ward used the well designed spine of the Grey Knights Codex to 'Ward' off chavs who were harassing a group of nuns]

Quote Originally Posted by Nazguire View Post
    You can't call this a bad move until you have read the book. C'mon now, common sense applies here. Until you have read the book any comments pertaining to how bad the book will be, or if it will upset the 40k universe, or something similar, are plain ignorant.

Read the book, make a decision. Books are entirely subjective after all, so no one is going to bat an eyelid if someone else likes or dislikes the novel. At least give it the benefit of a doubt.
    You're ignoring the context of this thread. I said it's a bad move; that I think the idea is inherently flawed, but that does not mean that the entire book will be bad, or that James Swallow will be unable to do something good around the idea: with the rest of the book. There's still plenty of time for me to change my mind as it was simply an initial thought - not least when I eventually get my hands on a copy.

As of now, I just don't like the implication of the idea. Still though, I'd be happy to see a good implementation. For the record, I'm not anti-Swallow.

Still, I appreciate the sentiment, Nazguire.
    Last edited by Wyrmwood; 02-03-2012 at 19:09.

The. Outcast. Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
    The. Outcast. Dead.
    Thanks for proving my point
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandion40 View Post
    If I had to make a guess what this secret is I would say the red thirst. With our latest Codex confirming that the Black Rage and Red Thirst are separate conditions that affect and interact with each other, it makes sense they would have separate origins.
    This sounds fine to me actually. Obviously, the Black Rage arose after Sanguinius' death.

The Red Thirst, however, could've been a genetic defect of legion from the time of their creation. I mean, their primarch had wings. IIRC, he had wings when he landed on Baal thus Baal's radiation had nothing to do with that mutation.

Sanguinius' genes were inherently flawed. It makes sense that the Red Thirst was one of the genetic flaws he carried. Many of the primarchs had genetic flaws. The power of the Warp was used in their creation. If that means "they all had secrets", then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
    The. Outcast. Dead.
    Sometimes it feels like I am the only person that liked that book.

Looking forward to Fear to Tread as well!
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe of Khorne View Post

No, I quite enjoyed it as well. The scenes with Kai moreso than, er, Captain Japan. It's not without flaws, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe of Khorne View Post

you are not the only one Not everything's for everybody after all.

I'm of the opinion the blood-drinking aspect of the Blood Angels should have been there from the start. The Red Thirst and the Black Rage are too separate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I'm of the opinion the blood-drinking aspect of the Blood Angels should have been there from the start. The Red Thirst and the Black Rage are too separate things.
    A legion of pale skinned, beautiful, noble looking warriors, with sharp teeth, an all pervading obsession with blood from the naming of the chapter down to its iconography and colour scheme? I think the nay-sayers are right, James Swallow should be hung out to dry for daring to suggest this obviously whiter-than-white legion's background had anything suspicious in it.
    Justified Ancients of Mu (marines)~5k;Catachan 214th~3k;Dark Eldar~2k;Black Legion~4k;Orks~5k;Necrons~1.5k;Saim Hann~5k;Splinter Fleet Nautilus~3.5k; Sold - Tau, Emperors Children, Sisters, Grey Knights

Obsession with blood? Surely it has nothing to do with Sanguinius' adopted tribe being called the tribe of the Blood right?

Seems we won't have to wait as long as we thought to find out what this curse is.

From the Hammer and Bolter: Issue 21 blurb on the Black library site:-
    ēHorus Heresy: Fear to Tread - Read a lengthy extract from the opening act of James Swallow's new Horus Heresy novel, and discover the origins of the curse borne by Sanguinius and the Blood Angels since their earliest days.
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...-issue-21.html

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast