Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: News: Wargames Factory to produce 15mm WW2 plastic Infantry

Chapter Master

Re: News: Wargames Factory to produce 15mm WW2 plastic Infantry

Germans are definatly more popular!

in our FOW group we have 1 brit/italian player, 1 brit/soviet player, 1 american player and 5 german players. So whenever we play a big multiplayer battle its always wall to wall Tigers and Panthers down one side and a horde of Infantry and Crusaders down the other...Only one of the german players even deigns to own infantry though...

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    That is interesting to hear; I would have thought that US Infantry would have been the logical choice based on the fact that PSC already have Germans, Russians and Brits covered.
    I was under the impression that PSC is already working on their version of US infantry, so any advantage to be gained would be rather temporary - and with a PSC kit close to release, many of the less hurried customers might end up waiting until both are out before deciding what to purchase.

And as mentioned before, late war Germans sell. And for historical match-ups, they have the largest choice of opponents, since they ended up fighting pretty much against everyone else in the end.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. Youd be a pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
    I was under the impression that PSC is already working on their version of US infantry, so any advantage to be gained would be rather temporary
    It is right at the end of their "In the pipeline" list, and they look to have at least 5 other 15 mm kits to come before US infantry could even get a solid slot. Considering these WF ones are getting cast now from what I can tell, they would have stolen a march.

Again, if the model industry is in any way similar, even in the US market German models outsell US models when dealing with WWII. Heck, I'd bet Panthers and Tigers outsell M1 Abrams models for that matter. If it is German it will sell better.

Now OTOH if the next release from WF isn't Americans, I'd be surprised.

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
    News from the Front!: http://chaoscreations69.com/blog/

Chapter Master

They have now sprue picture available on the forum:

http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/20...prue-pictures/

Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. Youd be a pioneer.

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

The proportions look pretty decent for 15mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

That kit better sell for half of what PSC does, or that better be only one sprue of many. The poses look even more repetitive and static than PSC (the real killer kit over PSC, would have a decent amount of crouching/combat movement figures. BF usually at least does that well). I have to give them credit that the standing machine gunner doesn't look like he is on a casual march like the PSC one does.

I would get exactly two of that sprue, for the officers, and panzershreck/faust.

Seriously, six scoped rifles? What is the point of that?
    Last edited by the_corvus; 22-02-2012 at 11:20.

I think the idea is that the majority of FoW armies you see are German and the vast majority of BF's product lines are German. That's what FoW players want so why go niche?
    Has a shrine to Rick Priestley adorned with sacrificial dice and his own blood.

Currently painting miniatures by-
    http://www.torgaming.co.uk/rd/games/relics/
    http://www.games-workshop.com
    www.warlordgames.co.uk

Its apparently got 84 figs for $20. if you get 3 10% off, if you get 7 or more 15% off

Call me cynical but I think all this leaping from period to period without doing any sort of complete range for any of them is really going to hurt WF.
    Not really, in fact its one of there strengths.

Think about it. If they focused on one period they'd have to produce more then just an infantry kit. How many tank variants, plane variants, and artillery pieces? They'd then have to compete the with dozen or so companies already out there already doing those bits, they release the core kit that a gamers going to need - the infantry - and let people pick and choose whatever tanks etc that they wish. Yes there quality might not be up to the same standard but.. meh, as ever you get what you pay for.

I don't think there sales hurt as bad as they should because there manufacturings all based in China so the costs are likely much lower. They can throw out kits like this and it doesn't particularly matter how well it does.
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams View Post
    Think about it. If they focused on one period they'd have to produce more then just an infantry kit. How many tank variants, plane variants, and artillery pieces? They'd then have to compete the with dozen or so companies already out there already doing those bits, they release the core kit that a gamers going to need - the infantry - and let people pick and choose whatever tanks etc that they wish.
    From what I know of WWII war gaming that is bass ackwards. Tank heads dominate and infantry are largely seen as a necessary evil. Which is why PSC are focusing on the common tanks and infantry is an after thought. One box of plastic infantry is pretty much all you need, it is the ancillaries like tanks and gun teams that you need many boxes of.

And all the people saying "but Germans are most popular!" are missing the point that there is already German kit from PSC. Competing directly against another range doesn't seem to be WF niche, competing in ignored areas is. I would not buy that sprue over the PSC one, even at half the price, because you only need one box set for an infantry company so the savings are minimal. When I need five boxes of half-tracks for a panzergrenadier company cheaper options like Zvezda start to look attractive, but if I only need one box I would probably go "premium".

Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams View Post
    I don't think there sales hurt as bad as they should because there manufacturings all based in China so the costs are likely much lower. They can throw out kits like this and it doesn't particularly matter how well it does.
    I really doubt that is true, only a few hobby manufacturers can afford to see kits fail. It still costs many thousands of dollars to build a plastic injection mould.

Fair points but again, I think your looking at the cost of Renedras tooling and assuming the same applies - it really does. Yes its still a high cost but given the size of the historicals market they should at the very least break even within the first few months.
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

A bit of threadromany I know, but was looking for info on assembling when I found this thread. Today got two boxes of these guys from a store in the Midwest for $14 a box. Pretty damn hard to beat that price to break into FoW German style.

Chapter Master

Since the WF set is a bit low on the heavy weapons (2 mortars and 2 panzershrecks), many people might also be interested to know that Plastic Soldier Company has just released a 15 mm plastic WWII German Heavy Weapons set, featuring tripod mounted MGs, 81 and 120 mm mortars, panzershrecks and panzerfausts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2