Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

Re: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

Squats: I wouldn't want them to return in their original form, I think that should remain as a fond memory for old timers. But I'd be open to a complete reworking of the "space dwarves" concept

Harlequins: hard to see them working as a full army.

Cults: fluff-appropriate but lasgun-toting rabble doesn't sound a hugely inspiring concept for a totally new army?

Admech: maybe... if they can end up sufficiently differentiated from guard

Stateside, in The Circle City (of Death!)

Exodites, Admech, and Craftworld Eldar would all be fantastic. I also like the notion of a re-think of Squats/Demiurge.

Codex: 6th Ed.

There are plenty of really good suggestions here- in particular, Ad mech and the cults

However, over and above all of them, I'd like to see a totally new 6th ed, with much better game mechanics.
    Rules wise, there should be no sacred cows held over from editions 1-5, everything should be looked at and improved. I mean going right back to basics- should we use Inches or cm? should we use D6? Should we use Igo-you go? Model based or unit based?
    The background ( at least excluding Goto and ward) is the main thing. So marines will still be defined by bolters, power armour, ATSKNF and being generalists, however what these mean in game terms should be different.

Codex 6th ed would be an all in one codex to cover all races, with stats and the core rules allowing much more variability than now, so needing far fewer special rules. This should lead to faster play,a nd therefore either faster games or bigger forces.

I know people had bad memories of the 3rd ed Black book, but I believe it was the execution of that, not the basic idea that wasn't perfect. Other games companies manage all in one army lists.
    Occasionally accused of being helpful and constructive.
    One ring Book to rule them all, one ring place to find them, One ring Codex to bring them all, and in the Darkness future bind them. Time for the unified Marine Codex.

Quote Originally Posted by Oots View Post
    Harlequins: hard to see them working as a full army.
    Have you seen the old unofficial codex?

Of course the fast skimmer-transported close combat army role the old Harlequin codex was all about now is even more so than back then occupied by Dark Eldar, but Harlequins could be to Dark Eldar what Grey Knights are to Space Marines: The more elitist, expensive, small version and also more "pure" if you will, more specialized on close combat with little fire power, relying on grenades and pistols to kill vehicles.

One thing is for sure, none of the two existing Eldar codices really embodies the "highly advanced but dying race" part of the fluff in the army list. A race like that should be represented by small armies of very hard to kill individuals and units instead of cheap cannonfodder that basically runs around naked on the battlefield.
    Last edited by TrangleC; 27-02-2012 at 15:21.

Codex: Corsairs
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Several, isn't drinking the most important part of gaming?
    Hikaru Sulu: The word, sir?
    James T. Kirk: The word...is no. I am therefore going anyway.

As much as 40K tries not to be Fantasy-in-Space, at its heart, that's exactly what it is. The redevelopment of the Necrons shows that the company increasingly thinks this way as well.

Therefore, something to fill that 'Dwarf' archetype would still be viable. I'd personally like to see traditional Squats return as 'Imperial' Squats - basically as an alternative option in the Imperial Guard Codex. In the very early Imperial Army lists, Squat units were available alongside Human units. They had identical equipment, but different statlines and different points costs. Squat units of this kind were basically Imperial Guard Regiments drawn from worlds inhabited by Squat abhumans.

This still leaves that 'Dwarf' archetype open, so if the choice was mine I'd go for Demiurg - Independent Squats, the remnants of the Home Worlds societies destroyed by the Tyranids. A culture based around clan, family and stronghold, but also around mercantile interests - waging war and striking alliances in the name of business. Sort of a cross between corporations and the cosa nostra, with a dose of Shintoism/ancestor-worship.

There isn't really a 'mercantile' faction in 40K at the moment, and Squats/Demiurg could fill that niche.
    Grammatical note: it's 'THAN' not 'THEN', as in 'the oranges are more expensive THAN the apples'.
    Thank you for indulging a pedantic mind

Quote Originally Posted by burning crome View Post
    The problem with a Mechanicus codex is that it can be pretty well represented using the existing books (codex guard and grey knights) so does it need a separate book??
    I'll cut to the chase, strip away all of the fluff and potential game stuff to the core of GW's own stated business of selling Miniatures. New Codex means New Models. GW would sell a metric-butt-load of Adeptus Mechanicus Models.
    We have enough AM themed models in the current 40K range to give us a vague hint of how they'd look and I'm sure anyone with a bit of imagination can expand that out to an entire army of mechanical and cyborg models robed in shades of red and probably get a little excited at the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Dark Mechanicus
    IF C:AM were done properly, the AM/DM divide would be very subtle and both factions would sit happily in one codex.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowheart View Post
    Sure, but that's equally true for most existing 40K armies. The background's always going to be much more diverse than the game or the models. You'd keep the Cultist range and rules abstract (save for a few of the biggest variants) and let people use it to explore all these other aspects of the background for themselves.
    Sounds great to me, but it's GW you gotta convince

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnahabhain View Post
    I know people had bad memories of the 3rd ed Black book, but I believe it was the execution of that, not the basic idea that wasn't perfect. Other games companies manage all in one army lists.
    It was simply supposed to be a stop-gap as it utterly invalidated anything released before that point, IF you were to release a single "Armies of the 41st Millennium" army-list with a view to it being the cornerstone of your game, you'd pay more attention to it's content. One would hope
    40K spend '09: £205.70.'10: £87.50.'11: £29.00. '12: £89.00. '13: £35.50. '14 £75.50.

WANTED: Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms. Cairn Wraith metal face.

Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    Sounds great to me, but it's GW you gotta convince
    In the real world they wouldn't listen to me in the first place, but in the OP's "what if" scenario, GW is my bitch and would release Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car if I told them to.

The Bureaucracy of Anarchy with the Space Monkeys in the Mischief Committee of Project Mayhem.

...IF you were to release a single "Armies of the 41st Millennium" army-list with a view to it being the cornerstone of your game, you'd pay more attention to it's content. One would hope
    Or you would just play test all your games as Marines v Marines and call it balanced .

...Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car...
    Also, that Codex sounds awesome.
    Wear a monocle and Bob Schieffer will laugh at you on the evening news.

Hurricanes are not the best way to keep crime down, Mr. Bloomberg.

“Well, I’ve got two pythons and a tiny guy in a rhinoceros costume with an obsession with disco,”

An Admech codex would just be great. So many great model and rule opportunities.

If I had to create an organic codex I'd create a human non-imperial faction. Something like the interex but perhaps lead by a primarch (unknown or simply a loyalist who was "lost"), or even just a human empire that survived the old night. They would have high tech and offer an alternative to the decaying grim-dark imperium.
    "But I being poor have only my dreams. Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams." ~ Yeats

Chaplain

Well I can't believe no one has said it so I will Space Skaven thats what I want hang on no Adeptus Mechanicus seems a better idea maybe they'll make a mechanical rat for me.

The only correct answer is some sort of Thousand Sons supplement. I want to see Traitor Legions get as much attention as certain loyalist chapters; there's a lot more room there for differentiation and more justification for the extra attention, I think.

Adeptus Mechanicus is also an acceptable suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHel View Post
    Just remember, you won't die as long as you have unpainted minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Ferret View Post
    The only correct answer is some sort of Thousand Sons supplement. I want to see Traitor Legions get as much attention as certain loyalist chapters; there's a lot more room there for differentiation and more justification for the extra attention, I think.
    Unless GW becomes able to update all codices once per edition, I'd can "kind of" agree - certain loyalists chapters should be getting as much attention as the traitor legions .
    Last edited by Shamana; 27-02-2012 at 20:42.

AdMech makes the most sense.

I liked the old wishlisting of Hrud and Umbra, as well. Though I suppose AdMech has the potential to give me an army of heavily-robed troops with various (mechanical) tentacles and limbs sticking out at odd angles, so that would do just fine

Also, Codex: Rainbow Warriors, because the cover art would hopefully be in pastel colors with a Sister of Battle roundhouse-kicking a Rainbow Warriors Captain.
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Shamana View Post
    Unless GW becomes able to update all codices once per edition, I'd can "kind of" agree - certain loyalists chapters should be getting as much attention as the traitor legions .
    Well, there's always Imperial Armour, now, isn't there...
    Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote Originally Posted by Megavolt
    They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I'd probably go for an imperial allies book rather than a codex for any of the specific factions of the Imperium. Fit custodes, deathwatch, assassins, inquisitors, rogue traders, AdMech, knights, arbiters all in there with rules for adding them to other imperium armies (or occasionally xenos/chaos forces).
    Druchii.net for all your Dark Elf needs

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

∞+1 (just because I can).
    Curses! You found me!

In the real world they wouldn't listen to me in the first place
    My bad, I wasn't very clear with what I meant. Despite GW's general "it's your sandbox" approach they don't seem to be very keen on leaving codexes open to exploration. Sure they give you carte blanche to paint and name your little dudes (and dudettes) however you please, but they like to have a clear theme or three in play, with the potential for a cult behind every single Codex currently out, that's more themes than they seem comfortable to run with.
    And then it gets into the whole issue of the LatD and the total absence of any models for them (I know...event based mini-dex) but putting out a Codex release supporting wave and having to satisfy something like 12 sub-factions with it might be a little beyond their scope.
    I'm just not entirely sure all cults can be covered in anywhere near a satisfactory manner as they should be in a single book. Genestealer Cults, for example, shouldn't really resemble a pro-imperium zealot rabble, or a Tau sponsored Human collective (or a Chaos worshipping book group) in any way other than the fact there's lots of squishy T3 fleshbags running around not being very good at anything.

but in the OP's "what if" scenario, GW is my bitch and would release Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car if I told them to.
    Pure class.
    Consider it sigged.

Quote Originally Posted by FashaTheDog View Post
    Or you would just play test all your games as Marines v Marines and call it balanced .
    You mean.....that's not the way to balance 40K?!

Quote Originally Posted by sulla View Post
    I'd probably go for an imperial allies book rather than a codex for any of the specific factions of the Imperium. Fit custodes, deathwatch, assassins, inquisitors, rogue traders, AdMech, knights, arbiters all in there with rules for adding them to other imperium armies (or occasionally xenos/chaos forces).
    If you're going along this path, one book for ALL factions and demographics in the game, not just Imperials. If you're giving rules for Including them in Imperial armies, what's wrong with having stuff Like Ork Freebootaz, Genestealer Cults, Human (or Xenos) Bontyhunters and Mercenaries. Not a huge step to list in a unit's description who they can and'd can't work for.
    Would be the devil's own work to make it balance out even vaguely using the current rules. I think they managed it for WHFB once....
    40K spend '09: £205.70.'10: £87.50.'11: £29.00. '12: £89.00. '13: £35.50. '14 £75.50.

WANTED: Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms. Cairn Wraith metal face.

Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

Chapter Master

I would do Squats exactly as they were, with hairy bikers and land trains. The wails of the haters would sing me to heaven...

Seriously, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the early portrayal of Squats. They had bikers. So did Orks and Space Marines. It wasn't the sum of their culture.

Mark.

Chapter Master

My bad, I wasn't very clear with what I meant.
    Maybe I wasn't either... I know there's no way GW is going to go for something like this, but wishlisting is fun. For the sake of argument though, look at the Imperial Guard. Their current Codex doesn't even properly cover the Catachans or the Vostroyans, let alone things like drop troops or cavalry regiments. If you could build generic Imperial and Chaos cultists out of the box, and mutants and Genestealer cults with a bit of part swapping and converting, I'd be quite happy with that.

I can't really take credit for Codex: SKMDC, it's a NewsRadio reference.

1. Enslavers
    2. Renegade Guard (no CSM)
    3. Kroot
    4. Exodite Eldar
    5. Harlequin
    6. A true robot army (not the spirits of an organic put into a mechanical shell)
    7. Psy-gore
    8. Old Ones
    Bri (Rlyehable)
    64th Ely'seir Grey Sky Cadre (Tau), Hive Culex (Tyranid), Leanna Emperator (Sisters of Battle, sold), Knights of Gryphonne (Space Marines), Feather Blade Strikeforce (Eldar), Eternal Woe Phalanx (Necrons)

Quote Originally Posted by minci View Post
    Magnetize man. I even magnitized myself so I can remove myself when my wife gets angry

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast