Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

Re: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowheart View Post
    In the real world they wouldn't listen to me in the first place, but in the OP's "what if" scenario, GW is my bitch and would release Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car if I told them to.
    So sigging that!
    In the real world they wouldn't listen to me in the first place, but in the OP's "what if" scenario, GW is my b-tch and would release Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car if I told them to.

Banned

I think the game desperately needs an option for a powerful traitor army with large quantities of guard equivalents supplementing small, scarce squads of amazingly powerful Chaos Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapters Unwritten View Post
    I think the game desperately needs an option for a powerful traitor army with large quantities of guard equivalents supplementing small, scarce squads of amazingly powerful Chaos Marines.
    A better version of the old Alpha Legion army list from C:CSM 3.5 or an IG army with CSM elites? If IG had better elite troops selection, would that suffice? I only ask because I liked the old DH codex's ability to augment/annex the IG codex, and feel that there should have been something in the IG codex's elites section that was actually 'elite' and superpowerful troop wise after the 'splitting' of the two codexeses.
    In the real world they wouldn't listen to me in the first place, but in the OP's "what if" scenario, GW is my b-tch and would release Codex: Super Karate Monkey Death Car if I told them to.

Codex: Zoats.

I have said it before, and I will say it again; but there are so many unique elements available.

Put them either on 40mm or bike bases (unique Troop size); centauroid morphotype; keep the cool primitive feel to the organic weapons; make them a psychic race (to justify say 5+ Invulnerable saves maybe); Beast-Troops.

They could offer a feel quite unlike any other race and the fluff is a largely blank canvas at this time. They have a nostalgic elemnt to them (pull in the older fans) and offer the potential for something pretty much unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post
    A better version of the old Alpha Legion army list from C:CSM 3.5 or an IG army with CSM elites? If IG had better elite troops selection, would that suffice? I only ask because I liked the old DH codex's ability to augment/annex the IG codex, and feel that there should have been something in the IG codex's elites section that was actually 'elite' and superpowerful troop wise after the 'splitting' of the two codexeses.
    There is, he's called mambo.

It just so happens that the rest of the elites section is either overpriced dross, or only of highly situational use...
    Occasionally accused of being helpful and constructive.
    One ring Book to rule them all, one ring place to find them, One ring Codex to bring them all, and in the Darkness future bind them. Time for the unified Marine Codex.

Veteran Sergeant warpedpavilion's Avatar

The Squats shall rise again!!!
    My core competency is competency
    Harlequins - The angry, angry death clowns of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

I once played 40k against an army of Sq**ts in 1994. Have been on the run from the Inquisition ever since.
    Getting back into the game after a few years out of it. Here's the blog of my progress: http://thelostautarch.wordpress.com

Codex: Light-devoid Heavenly Lupine Crusaders of Gore

It will be a codex divergent space marine chapter that has almost exactly the same entries as codex: space marine, except that most entries have extra options and are priced differently by +/- 5 points. There will also be a few special characters, one of which allows thunderfire cannons to be fielded as troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnahabhain View Post

It just so happens that the rest of the elites section is either overpriced dross, or only of highly situational use...
    Marbo perchance?

Brother Sergeant
    In my local GW store, according to the wife.

Oh, please,

Please can we have the squats back? I LOVE these models and it broke my heart to sell them off.... would be intruiging to see an evil elite (i'm thinking the flip side of grey knights style) codex come out, and how that would work - or an updated eye of terror codex with new and icky bits that you could tag on as upgrades to parts of your army:

Uber tentacled instrument of death - costs 200pts, can be used with rules from this codex as a heavy support in codexes a, b and c.

now that would be really cool.

I'd like to see a Mechanicus book.

Likewise a new Xenos codex, something like Hrud or one of the other various mentioned but unfeatured xenos races.

Personally, I'd rather have all sub-factions be done by FW who could do them faster and likely without having to come up with silly campy stuff to keep them interesting, and leave codex's as core rules for races as a whole, meaning we'd have Codex Eldar and Codex Space Marines while Forgeworld did Craftworld Ulthwe and Exodites along with Space Wolves and say Minotaurs or whatever.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.
    57th Krieg Assault Brigade Infantry, Tanks, Army)
    IV Astartes Legion: Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marines 7th Grand Company. (Log-Updated Aug 22!)
    9th Haalvak Legion. Mechanized Infantry Log
    Heavy Gear Log!

I'd have to say Code Squats first. I also liked the hairy biker theme, but would be open to them having many other options. A huge landtrain and gyrocopter would be good.

2nd I'd like to see some total new unheard of xenos species. Non humanoid in everyway possible although I would like them to be tech users rather than have it grown from or onto them like 'nids. Just totally different tech and body shapes.

3rd Probably Mechanicus. I am pretty sure they could include dark mechanicus in the same book if they wanted to.

For that matter they could include chaos squats in with proper squats!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaro View Post
    I'm just going to clear the air and state that no one actually wants Codex: Squats. That is just something people say to brag about how long they've been in this hobby for (as if that means anything). What's funny is the people who played the game back then are the ones responsible for the demise of the squats, as they were the ones not buying the models.

To stay on topic, I think it would be cool to have a new codex based on a race of highly advanced aliens who have merged their technology with their mastery of psionics. They would be more martial (close combat leaning) in order to differentiate themselves further from necrons and eldar. In form, perhaps the race could almost look warp-like, celestial daemons of sorts. They would be few in number ideally.
    You sir, are highly misinformed on why the Squats were removed from the game and if people want them back. To really clear the air lets get some truth in this. The Squats were not removed due to poor sales volume as you assert. The player base had nothing to do with them being removed. They were removed because the game designers of GW didn't think any of the ideas they had for them were any good. It's as simple as that. If you search around on this site I'm sure there are plenty of links to the actual quote from Jervis Johnson on the matter.

Now, as far as wanting a Squat codex goes, YES PLEASE

I could care less how many people hated them in their origional form. Not every army is going to please everyone and I for one loved the entire concept and miniatures of the squats except for their little hover bike thing. Everything else about them to me was cool, particularly how they were powerful enough to stop the Imperium in it's tracks when they decided to try to go to War with the Squats.

And the fact that they are not a bunch of religious nutcases running around spouting off nonsense to just start an engine on a plane, that's pretty cool too. I like that they are basically humans that were not influenced by the dogma of the Imperium and their roots have nothing to do with Imperial Expansion into the galaxy. Instead, they spread through the galaxy before the Emperor even became the Emperor.

So I vote for a Squat codex.
    Dwarf laser guided cannons...keeping the monster players honest since the mid 1990's.

I can see the appeal, but as I got into the hobby after the demise of the Squats, that doesn't seem to quite fit into the background to me. After all, how grimdark is it to have a group of rational, not-overtly-murderous, non-monstrous living humanoids walking around defying the Imperium?

What bothers me more is the idea of Squats having some sort of spacefaring empire of their own before the Imperium, which is supposed to be the only such human (or non-hostile-to-humans) institution after the Dark Age(s) (of Technology? is that where that goes?). It kind of ruins the picture of a fractured galaxy of planets trying to survive on their own, all knowledge of other groups sometimes lost, if the Squats had been cheerily trading about all that time. If that part could be gotten rid of I guess the rest is fitting enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHel View Post
    Just remember, you won't die as long as you have unpainted minis.

Codex: Space Fish, it would be awesome.

On the otherhand Hrud could make an interesting army if done correctly.

Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Vaktathi View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have all sub-factions be done by FW who could do them faster and likely without having to come up with silly campy stuff to keep them interesting, and leave codex's as core rules for races as a whole, meaning we'd have Codex Eldar and Codex Space Marines while Forgeworld did Craftworld Ulthwe and Exodites along with Space Wolves and say Minotaurs or whatever.
    Now this is the best idea that I have seen in this discussion (including my own).
    Bri (Rlyehable)
    64th Ely'seir Grey Sky Cadre (Tau), Hive Culex (Tyranid), Leanna Emperator (Sisters of Battle, sold), Knights of Gryphonne (Space Marines), Feather Blade Strikeforce (Eldar), Eternal Woe Phalanx (Necrons)

Quote Originally Posted by minci View Post
    Magnetize man. I even magnitized myself so I can remove myself when my wife gets angry

Chapter Master

For me it would either be Mechanicus or Genestealer Cults. Both would add some much missed background to the setting.
    Grey Knights: W13 L9 D10
    Dark Angels: W28 L16 D27
    Death/Ravenwing: W17 L11 D6
    Tyranids: W17 L10 D9
    Goff Orks W41 L9 D11
    Imperial Guard W14 L7 D8
    Since January 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnahabhain View Post

True, but even Marbo is a one trick pony in that he shows up outta nowhere, and essentially must do something with either his demo charge or pistol, because as he DS's in, he can't do anything else except await the retaliation of your opponent once he appears.

All in all, there's nothing really 'elite' about any of the IG's Elite units. Veterans killed storm troopers. Commissar blobs killed Ogryns. Ratlings are completely superfluous in an army with barrage weaponry (pinning) and a plethora of other ranged weapons everywhere, not to mention camo cloak equipped squads.

I don't know, maybe it's me feeding into a little self prescribed 'gloom'.

I just feel they are desperately missing a true 'elite' unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeslord View Post
    Seriously, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the early portrayal of Squats. They had bikers. So did Orks and Space Marines. It wasn't the sum of their culture.
    Bikers weren't the ONLY thing but, unfortunately, there wasn't much else of substance. We had...Bikers, Guild Engineers, Brotherhoods, Hearthguard and Living Ancestors, that was about it. Maybe it coulda been fixed but, if the designers say they couldn't come up with anything good enough, I'm inclined to believe them.

Maybe I wasn't either... I know there's no way GW is going to go for something like this, but wishlisting is fun. For the sake of argument though, look at the Imperial Guard. Their current Codex doesn't even properly cover the Catachans or the Vostroyans, let alone things like drop troops or cavalry regiments. If you could build generic Imperial and Chaos cultists out of the box, and mutants and Genestealer cults with a bit of part swapping and converting, I'd be quite happy with that.
    Seems we were saying the same thing ass backwards to each other....ah well, as you say, wishlisting is fun. But cults in the game should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post
    Veterans killed storm troopers. Commissar blobs killed Ogryns.
    S3 killed Stormies...Ap 3 ain't worth jack if you're wounding most things on a 5. Their costing didn't help.
    5+ Saves killed Oggies. T5 and 3 wounds ain't worth jack when virtually every gun ignores your armour (and then there's poisoned attacks ). Costing don't help them either. The lack of an armour bypass don't help much either.

I would love to pit my Oggies up against a blobbed infantry squad, they're about the only unit in the game where Oggies can expect to weather the storm of fire and make a dent (assuming the blob squad has foregone heavy weapons to make it more mobile and fighty).
    40K spend '09: 205.70.'10: 87.50.'11: 29.00. '12: 89.00. '13: 35.50. '14 51.00.

WANTED: Elysian Shotgun & appropriate arms. Cairn Wraith metal face.

Brimstone. Gone but not forgotten.

Inquisitor Stamos Lothlanathorian's Avatar

I would like to see Codex: Wastoids or Codex: Space Manatees.

For my more serious answer, I'd like to see an AdMech Codex or a Lost and the Damned Codex with traitor guard and the possibilities of Chaos or Genestealer cults. Also, a Tau Auxiliaries themed list with more Xenos (and Gue'vesa), but, less Tau and Kroot would be pretty cool.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------ToG PLog----------My DzC PLog
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    You people make baby Batman cry. And by cry, I mean punch people in the crotch. Because Batman doesn't cry. Ever. Not even baby Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.

Mechanicus. Best mix of units they can steal rules and models from other codices, and new crazy units.
    HQ:
    Magos
    +Retinue
    Explorator
    +Retinue
    Secutor
    + Auxilia Myrmadon Retinue
    SCs

Elite:
    Auxilia Myrmadon Squad
    Electro-Priest squad
    Techmarine + Marine retinue
    Praetorians

Troops:
    Skitarii squads (10-20 models, IG Veteran statline with bionic upgrade- choose S, T, or I, add 1 to that stat)
    Combat servitor unit- CC or shooty options

Fast Attack:
    Imperial Robot units
    Enginseer with servitors
    Valkyrie
    Vendetta

Heavy Support:
    Land raider
    Thunderfire Battery
    Thudd Gun Battery
    Sagitarii squads
    Leman Russ + some variants
    Knight Paladin
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast