Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

Warwick, Warwickshire, England, UK, NW Europe, Sol-3, Eastern Spiral Arm

Re: If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

My personal favourite would be Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus but I would love to see the codicies overhauled to:

Codex: Defenders of the Imperium (Guard, PDF, Arbites, Ecclesiarchy)
    Codex: Servants of the Imperium (Inquisition, Grey Knights, SoB, Deathwatch)
    Codex: Adeptus Astartes (Codex oriented chapters: Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, etc)
    Codex: Angels of Death (Non-Codex Chapters: Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars etc)
    Codex: Rogue Traders (Squats, Mercenaries, Rogue Traders, etc)
    Codex: Mechanicus (Adeptus and Dark - all you'd need is a few options for daemonic possession etc)

Codex: Lost and the Damned (Chaos cults, Blood-Pact esque forces, mutant hordes, corrupted preachers, Daemons etc)
    Codex: Chaos Legions (Emperors' Children, Iron Warriors, World Eaters, Black Legion, Thousand Sons, Night Lords, Alpha Legion, Death Guard, Word Bearers - mostly 30K tech, smattering of more modern stuff)
    Codex: Chaos Marines (Renegade warbands - tech identical to loyalists)

Codex: Eldar (Craftworld, Exodite, Harlequins)
    Codex: Corsairs (Dark Eldar, Pirates, Corsairs)
    Codex: Orks
    Codex: Tau Empire (lots more on the Auxiliaries)
    Codex: Tyranids (with Genestealer Cult list)
    Codex: Necrons

That would be 15 codexes covering scores of armies, split into three main groups - Imperial, Chaos and Xenos. It wouldn't be difficult to also include rules in the main rulebook for using allied forces, either.

In terms of new models, well, some would require more work than others (Mechanicus, for example). But overall it probably wouldn't be worse than the DEldar reboot.

Brother Sergeant
    In my local GW store, according to the wife.

if we are ignoring the infrigements, please can we have codex discworld?

Daywatch & Nightwatch for infantry, wizards (kind of like battlechoir psykers)& trolls for heavy support, wee free men or witches for fast attack (poss infiltrating?) & hqs to die for....

Surely that'd fit better in WFB or Mordheim?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamenwati View Post
    Adeptus Mechanicus!
    This, most definitely. I'd love to see this.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by TrangleC View Post
    Have you seen the old unofficial [Harlequin] codex?
    ...or the even older official one. OK, it wasn't a Codex because it predated them, but 'quins had an official list in the Red Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeslord View Post
    I would do Squats exactly as they were, with hairy bikers and land trains. The wails of the haters would sing me to heaven...

Seriously, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the early portrayal of Squats. They had bikers. So did Orks and Space Marines. It wasn't the sum of their culture.
    This. Well, almost. Some ideas borrowed from the Varyngr thread are just too cool not to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    Codex: Zoats.
    Or this. Or Hrud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlyehable View Post
    [Subfactions by FW] is the best idea that I have seen in this discussion (including my own).
    It is a good idea, but I fear that ship has sailed, at least until they do a complete reboot of all the codices at once (which may be never, sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    Heavy Support: Knight Paladin
    Were knights Stompa sized (ie, SH).

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Steiner View Post
    -codex overhaul stuff-
    Also a good idea, but again it'd probably have to wait for a full reboot.

jt.
    Last edited by jt.glass; 01-03-2012 at 13:11.

Chapter Master
    Now Terra...Soon HOLY...Eastern fringes of Europe

Based on Gen.Steiner I would like to see:

-Codex: AdMech/Dark Adeptus
    -Codex: Exodites
    -Codex: Defenders of the Imperium (PDF, Arbites, Ecclesiarchy)
    -Codex: Rogue Traders (Squats, Mercenaries, Rogue Traders, etc)

Those would bring ore diversity to the existent 40k universe.And no new races until all the codexes are on the line.
    IG: 2th Company/9th IG Hohenstaufen Regiment.
    "La garde meurt, mais il ne se rend pas"
    "To hell and back...Again"

I don't bother waiting for GW - I just make my own. (See my sig for my current offerings, including Harlequins and Exodites.)

My current project is a massive tome for the Adeptus Arbites, which dwarfs my previous works. I am hoping to have it ready for public critique in a week or two.
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log

Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!
    Codex: Harlequins (6th ed) The Harlequins will have the last laugh!
    Codex: Exodites (6th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!

Codex : Slann

Lizardmen in space! Futuristic weaponry on a primitive looking race. Mechanical dinosaurs with lasers going pew pew! Slann annihilating with their psychic powers! Have these guys be the reason why Necron went to sleep and how the other races were developed.

^ Now that's actually an excellent idea. It's pretty unique to Warhammer, the Old Ones and their favored servants have yet to make an appearance (although I s'pose the Krork might be their new favored servants), and I can just picture the models and imagine the gameplay already. Psychic powers, ancient reptiles with super-advanced technology (or bio-tech, considering the favored methods of the Old Ones - though we gotta make sure they're distinct from Tyranids), lasers pew pew... what's not to like?!

I can see the campaign already. From the distant galaxy to which they once fled come the ancient servants of the Great Old Ones, their most advanced creations, the Necrons' ancient foe: the Slann! Wielding psychic might the like of which makes Greater Daemons cower, the Great Toads float forth from the Spawnway with unimaginably advanced life-technology to counter the cold creeping death of the Necrontyr. Special Offer: Slann Battleset, consisting of almost four models, for only $75!
    Last edited by Twisted Ferret; 01-03-2012 at 21:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHel View Post
    Just remember, you won't die as long as you have unpainted minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_D14 View Post
    Codex : Slann

Lizardmen in space! Futuristic weaponry on a primitive looking race. Mechanical dinosaurs with lasers going pew pew! Slann annihilating with their psychic powers! Have these guys be the reason why Necron went to sleep and how the other races were developed.
    Hey! Copy cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    I have 2 in mind... and Codex: Army of the Old Ones (Lizardmen).
    Though, your presentation was better.
    Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigismund
    Zeal makes all things possible, duty makes all things simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megavolt
    They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Now that I mostly play 2nd Edition 40K, I am currently altering the published 'dexes and writing new lists.

For my 5th/6th gaming, I am also adapting and altering (very subtly) the Imperial Guard codex - new inclusions such as Beastmen units, new wargear options, removal of some vehicles (Deathstrike, I'm looking at you) and the addition of things like Squats.

I am also about to embark on Codex: Imperial Army for 30K players. BS3 Land Raiders, grav-tanks, jump-pack equipped infantry, Iterators of the Imperial Truth, and genetically modified soldiery will all make an appearance!

Codex: cursed founding
    This is realy just because i want more info on the black dragons
    Romance is dead - it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece.

Quote Originally Posted by crucefix88 View Post
    Codex: cursed founding
    This is realy just because i want more info on the black dragons
    Look up Index Astartes: Cursed Founding.

Quote Originally Posted by BigbyWolf View Post
    Codex: Squats.

'Nuff said.

Well, apart from the fact that anyone who mentions releasing another Space Marine chapter as a separate book deserves to be assaulted with something pointy.
    I play Marines but agree, I miss the Squats, I have a little more then 30 of the old buggers sitting around. Squats were fun.

Codex Squats or New Race
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things.
    They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death.

Yet there is one thing they fear above all others.

They fear the wrath of the Blood Angels!

Chaplain

thats easy Squats!!!! I miss those little buggers was my first army and i sold it to move out of state like a dummy.
    Looking to build a IG army from Squats please contact me if you have any you would care to part with
    daemony goodness found here
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueSloth View Post
    Just remember kiddies, Daemons are a lot like sex - you need to have enough experience to know what you're doing,

Quote Originally Posted by Ambience 327 View Post
    I don't bother waiting for GW - I just make my own. (See my sig for my current offerings, including Harlequins and Exodites.)

My current project is a massive tome for the Adeptus Arbites, which dwarfs my previous works. I am hoping to have it ready for public critique in a week or two.

So I put my money where my mouth is. You can check out my Arbites Codex right now by clicking the link in my signature.
    The Cult Ascendant! A Genestealer Cult Army Log

Codex: Adeptus Arbites (7th Ed) To detect and to purge!
    Codex: Hive Spyrers (7th Ed) Death leaves the underhive!
    Codex: Genestealer Cult (6th Ed) For the Father!
    Codex: Harlequins (6th ed) The Harlequins will have the last laugh!
    Codex: Exodites (6th Ed) The Dragon Knights prepare to charge!

In order of preference.

1:- Sisters of Battle.
    2:- Squats.
    3:- Adeptus Mechanicus.
    4:- Lost and the Damned.
    5:- Completly new squiggy non humanoid but tech heavy alien species.

Imperial Agents (or Codex: Crusaders, maybe). Mechanicus, Arbites, Ecclesiarchy, Assassins, Space Marines, Planetary Defense Force, Administratum and Inquisition, all with at least one HQ, Elite, Troops, Fast, and Heavy, capable of operating as its own (minimal) list or together as a mixed Imperial army.

Would not replace the current Imperial lists in any way. Instead, taking the HQ from any section would allow you to take the other choices from that section in limited quantity, and you would be able to do this with any Imperial army. Taking a Space Marine Hero (who can be ranked from Sergeant to Captain) HQ in your Imperial Guard lets you bring in his squad of Space Marines. Taking a Judge in your Space Marines lets them work with Arbites Shock Troops and Patrol Squads. Temple Assassins are their own support, although their section also includes Death Cult Demagogues for HQ, who let you take Death Cultists.

Some units are cross-listed in multiple sections. Planetary Defense and Mechanicus both get Leman Russ. Planetary Defense and Arbites share Enforcer Kill-Squads. Arbites, Marines and Mechanicus share Rhinos. Ecclesiarchy and Mechanicus share Cultists, Cherub and Servo-Skull Flocks. Ecclesiarchy, Inquisition and Assassins share Death Cultists. Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition share zealots.

Many or most units would be support-based, and combat units would usually be more expensive than necessary. This way, taking a small allied contingent to fill in army weaknesses is ineffective, and to gain the full ability of the Imperial Agents you have to take their specialized support units. Ideally this would make a heavy investment in allies desirable while still allowing small flavorful allied units.

You can attach an Administratum Historicus to any HQ squad to improve their Leadership ability, something the Planetary Defense commander desperately needs. Servo-skull and cherub flocks would give to-hit bonuses to nearby units (up to, say, a maximum BS/WS of 4, so that they only improve poorly trained and equipped units), making the normally inept cultist hordes and servitors more deadly. More expensive Chapter Serfs can improve your Space Marines. Everything has limits so that the bonuses aren't overly disruptive to other army books.

I know, GW doesn't do allies anymore. But maybe if I dress them up as character-unlock alternate organizations...
    Last edited by Grimbad; 27-03-2012 at 21:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_Ruined View Post
    ...the deepest, darkest recesses of an orks soul, their biggest existential crisis if you will, is concerned solely with the dilema of whether to hit someone when they're looking or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Clock View Post
    I feel all war and good inside.

I'd like to see either a redone Lost and the Damned 'dex, or Mechanicus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Utumno Prime, Throne World of the Iron Warriors 13th

I don't know if this has been covered in this thread yet, but how about a Codex: Xenos Empires

basically it can expand on just how big the galaxy and give models/rules to those alien races/kingdoms/empires that exist in the wilderness space of the Imperium!!! The could be a generic list, and perhaps something along the old Guard Codex's "Doctrines" system, which would allow you to field armies hailing from a certain alien race.
    "From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!"
    —Unbreakable Litany of the Iron Warriors

Iron Warriors 13th Horus Heresy List - Win:32 Loss:11 Draw:1 (Since August, 2013). 1st Place at May 2014 Game Ogre Tournament
    Sha-Ondâr Taghmata Omnissiah - Win: 9 Loss: 2 Draw: 1 (Since August, 2014) 1st Place at November 2014 Game Ogre Tournament

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast