Thread: bad castings keep turning up

bad castings keep turning up

And I don't mean the entire model is a wash. But so far I've ordered 4 AoW minis, and they are great, much greater than a lot of other options out there. But the two most recent, Ork Shaman and Ork Brute, both had some pretty gnarly spots on them. The brute was ok enough, it was just that under his arm along the weapon hilt, there was just a bunch of extraneous non molded metal. I cut most of it away and since it's under his arm, it doesn't bother me too bad. The shaman on the other hand, had the same looking mess of unmolded metal, but it was on top of his left foot, and I had to shave a lot of it away, but now I have to resculpt the wraps and some of his foot. The mold lines on him were fairly bad too, but they are just mold lines. Anyway, has anyone else had similar happenings?
    The other two mini's I got from them were the dark elf witch queen and the dark elf hero. Both of which were fine, and very nice minis.
    A shake of this and a sprinkle of that, then BAM!!!! It's my PLOG! (contains dark elf, dwarf, lizards and more)
    Dark Elf revamp in progress...

"There's a difference between finely hand-crafting warmachine parts and whacking a piece of magic with a hammer." -scammel

Re: bad castings keep turning up

Sounds like the moulds not to be replaced.
    I haven't seen anything like it on my AoW minis, but then I got them a fairly long time ago.
    EmperorNorton's Overabundance of Projects Log

2012 Minis bought: 363 - - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 619 - - - Minis painted: 63

If you get me a picture I should be able to tell you whats happened

As EN said, its likely an old mold there still using.
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow of the shaman's foot.. I already painted the brute, he's in my plog.. but i can snap a pic of the underside of his arm. The first figs I got from them were great... actually, i forget I have a few more of their figures: dwarf slayers, both of the characters, and the empire war priest kit.
    A shake of this and a sprinkle of that, then BAM!!!! It's my PLOG! (contains dark elf, dwarf, lizards and more)
    Dark Elf revamp in progress...

"There's a difference between finely hand-crafting warmachine parts and whacking a piece of magic with a hammer." -scammel

I've had similar issues. Bought 4 AoW models a couple of years ago - lovely scuplting but the casting was awful, and one of the bits was missing. Despite repeated requests they completely failed to replace the missing part. Haven't bought anything since, unsurprisingly.

Yeah you have to get the aow stuff immediately after release, my vampire queen was really bad, but I ordered the dwarf lord as a pre-order, it was perfect!
    "Revenge is a dish best served by Uma Thurman"

Brother Sergeant

Both AoW minis i have bought have been poor castings and a lot of crispness had been lost from the /green to the mold

My dwarf noble is just fine; but I don't know its history very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    A little Plog (Updated September 2, 2013)