Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ateph Campaign

The Ateph Campaign

The Ateph Campaign

It is often the case that a cataclysmic event is not heralded by a storm, but a whisper. On the Imperial Planet of Dacia, the heavens did not rip asunder at the arrival of an Ork fleet, nor its populace disappear in the night, whisked away by the faerie folk. The sun did not go supernova for its death throes, nor did the tendrils of a Hive Fleet descend to feast.

All that happened was an Imperial mining expedition unearthed a large, green crystal deep underground. A seemingly minor event, save the damage the seeming impenetrable object inflicted upon the digger who discovered it. Inquisitor Ricardo Sforza of the Ordo Xenos is planetside, dealing with minor dissidents and immediately drops everything to investigate. He swiftly determines the crystal to be a xenos artefact of potential worth. He cordons off the area with the help of the Cadian 113th and begins excavating the artefact.

Hearing of the discovery, Inquisitor Elias Amadeus of the Ordo Malleus makes a demand that the crystal be handed over to him, stating that it is a warp artefact and therefore in his jurisdiction, but Sforza refuses, insisting that it is of xenos origin.

Amadeus however, knew more of the Crystal’s nature and could not let it go. He gathers the Keldorian 18th to him, requisitions help from the local Sister’s Chapel and moves upon the dig site, intent on taking it by force, claiming warp taint.

Upon arrival, he finds the Cadian 113th well dug in and ready for a fight. Bloody minded, Amadeus launches the attack none the less. Sforza faces a strategic defence as he hurries to evacuate the crystal.

Re: The Ateph Campaign

Game 1: The Dig Site

”Get that Crystal into the Cutter, now.” Stated Ricardo Sforza sternly. The labouring adepts cringed under his gaze, and their leader dared to respond.

“We are going as fast as we can, but we must be careful not to…” He blustered.

“I will not repeat myself.” Sforza Interrupted. “This has become a combat situation and time is not afforded to us. Load the Crystal now.”

“We will endeavour our best under the Omnissiah’s will, my lord,” the adept replied, eager to be out of the Inquisitor’s attention.

The first cracks of lasfire began to ring out. Sforza frowned.

“What are you up to, Amadeus?” He wondered. “What is it about this Crystal that interests you so?

The Sister Superior turned from the viewport to face Amadeus. “Those are Imperial Guardsmen, servants to the Golden Throne. I sincerely hope you are correct about this venture, my Lord.”

Amadeus lifted his head to lock eyes with her from under his heavy brows. Almost immediately, she backed down as he exerted a measure of psychic influence over her. “They are in possession of a dangerous warp artefact. Without proper safety measures they will surely be tainted by the forces of the warp. It is better that they die now, even if unsullied for the moment, then to let them fall en masse.”

She appeared ready to make a counter argument, but after a moment nodded to the wisdom of his words. The galaxy was a cruel place and often such pre-emptive measures were necessary.

However, Amadeus was fully aware that the Crystal was not of the warp. No, it was much more valuable than that. And it must be his.

A small, silver box dangled on a chain at his waist…

Overview

Hello there, and welcome to the Ateph Campaign. This is our second narrative campaign, and it’s going to be a bit different in focus, and I hope you’ll enjoy reading it. It’s going to be something of a revealed mystery as Inquisitor Ricardo Sforza and Inquistor Elias Amadeus clash over the mysterious Ateph Crystals.

For this first game, Amadeus is leading an assault force on the original dig site. It’s a 2000pt game of Imperial Guard vs Imperial Guard. My opponent holds two objectives; the Crystal itself and the Mineshaft. He has a small Cutter nearby which he is trying to load the Crystal into. He has a Mechanicum loader dragging it there, but it is Slow & Purposeful. Once loaded, it can leave the board, denying me the objective. However, the mine is valuable, as more Crystals or information could potentially be buried there.

Inquisitor Elias Amadeus and the Keldorian 18th

Inquisitor Elias Amadeus – Force Weapon and Hammerhand, Power Armour
    Techpriest Enginseer
    5 Sisters of Battle – Flamer, Immolator
    5 Stormtroopers – 2 Meltaguns, Chimera
    5 Stormtroopers – 2 Plasma Guns, Chimera
    Veterans – Powerfist, 3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    Veterans – Power Sword, 3 Plasma Guns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    Salamander Scout
    Hellhound
    Hellhound
    2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks – Lascannons
    Demolisher – Lascannon
    Exterminator – Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Pintle Stubber

Inquisitor Ricardo Sforza and the Cadian 113th

Inquisitor Ricardo Sforza – Counts as Company Command Squad w/ Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs, Medic, Vox Caster, 2 Plasma Guns, Carapace Armour, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet, 2 Bodyguards, Chimera
    Platoon Command Squad – Power Fist, Medic, Vox, 2 Plasma Guns
    Infantry Squad – Vox, Meltagun
    Infantry Squad – Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher, Vox
    Lascannon Team
    Lascannon Team
    Autocannon Team
    Platoon Command Squad – Power Fist, Medic, Vox, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer
    Infantry Squad – Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Vox
    Infantry Squad – Meltagun, Vox
    Infantry Squad – Metagun, Vox
    Lascannon Team
    Missile Launcher Team
    Veterans – Plasma Pistol, 3 Plasma Guns, Vox, Chimera
    Veterans – Meltagun, Flamer, Vox, Chimera
    Sentinel
    Sentinel

Deployment

The Cadians deploy first, using the Company Command Squad and their Chimera to shield the Cutter, along with one Platoon Command Squad. The other deploys on the hill overlooking the mine with a Lascannon Team.

Missile Launchers, Autocannons and an Infantry guards the centre, with the flanks dominated by the Lascannon Teams and backed up by a few Infantry Squads. The Veterans in the their Chimeras both deploy on the left flank.

The Keldorians deploy all of their transports on the left, supported by the Hellhounds. The Leman Russ and Salamander hold the centre, and the Demolisher and Executioner are on the right flank.

The Keldorians win the roll for first turn.

Keldorian Turn 1

On the left flank all the transports rush forward, overtaken by the Hellhounds. A wall of smoke billows around the advancing line of tanks. One Chimera who had dropped behind snipes a Lascannon on the mine, and the rest flee off of the board.

The Salamander and Leman Russ advance more cautiously and pick their targets. The Leman Russ dump a ridiculous number of wounds onto the central enemy units, but they use the cover well and none fall. The Demolisher too, is foiled.

The Executioner targets the nearest Lascannon Team, and two disappear in a blizzard of autocannon rounds.

Cadian Turn 1

The Mechanicum Loader drags the Crystal the full 6” towards freedom. If it can keep that up, it’ll be out of there in no time.

The Master of Ordnance scatters from its target, clipping a Hellhound which is saved by its smoke. The advancing tanks are smacked by Las, Plasma and Autocannon fire from the entire enemy army, but most is wasted, missing, failing to penetrate the thick armour, or stopped by terrain.

One Hellhound loses its flame cannon to an Autocannon, and a Heavy Bolter wrecks the Salamander’s main armament. One Command Squad has both Plasma Gunners injure themselves, but the medic on hand saves their lives. Inside a Chimera, a Veteran fries himself.

In the dying moments, a missile launcher strikes the treads from one of the Chimeras, which was carrying my melta vets.

Keldorian Turn 2

The Techpriest descends from the Immobilized Chimera, tuts, sucks his teeth and sets to work.

The Hellhounds and Immolator push down the left flank, the Immolator using its smoke launchers in the rear. One Hellhound rakes the Lascannon Team in the forest, killing them all in seconds along with a couple of other guardsmen.

The three Chimeras now advancing down the centre target a Command Squad with their multilasers, but only succeed in killing the medic. The Salamander kills a bodyguard in the Company Command Squad.

The Leman Russ continue to dump ordnance into the central squads, but the rocks are made of pure unobtainium and only two die. The Demolisher shakes the Chimera guarding the Cutter.

With a squad advancing in the open, the Exterminator opens fire, killing seven in a bloody fashion.

Cadian Turn 2

The Loader drags the Crystal another 6”. A Sentinel comes on behind the left most Hellhound but fails to hit it spectacularly. Nearby, the Plasma Vets disembark and unload into the Hellhound, but do more damage to themselves than the enemy! A lone Missile Launcher finally manages to shake the beast.

A single Meltagun flashes out from an Infantry Squad, and the Salamander disappears into a cloud of expanding debris. Autocannon fire hammers the side of the Immolator, shaking it. The Hellhound that had already lost its main cannon loses its hull mount to another Meltagun.

The Missile Launcher Team targets the lead Chimera, which comes apart in a ball of fire, killing three of the Storm Troopers inside, and pinning the last two meltagun-toting men. The rear Chimera is wrecked by a Lascannon, and the Plasmavets disembark.

Keldorian Turn 3

Weaponless, one Hellhound rushes in front of the enemy to block line of sight. The shaken Hellhound rotates to disengage from the Sentinel. The Meltavets disembark as the Techpriest merriy hammers away, and advance, wrecking the Sentinel in a volley of microwave beams. The last mobile Chimera ploughs through the central forest as the Plasmavets advance in its wake.

The Leman Russ continue to be massively ineffectual in their shelling. Forget unobtainium, that rock is clearly plotarmourium! The Demolisher hits several targets including the Loader due to a lucky scatter, but still, nothing sticks.

The Exterminator targets the last three men from last turn and annihilates them, taking a meltagun out of the equation.

Inquisitor Amadeus disembarks with the Sisters to take matters into his own hands. He assaults the nearby Infantry Squad casting hammerhand. Five men die, but manage to kill two Sororitas in return. In a stroke of luck, they hold on, so that I can’t be shot next turn.

Cadian Turn 3

The Loader plods a little further, now within reach of its goal.
    Having presented itself so temptingly, the Hellhound is detonated by close range plasma fire from the HQ guarding the mine shaft. Aiming through the vacated space, the Autocannon team immobilizes the Immolator.

The Company Command Squad manages to nail a Plasmavet with a surprisingly accurate Master of the Ordnance. The nearby Infantry Squad destroys the multilaser on the advancing Chimera. Another Infantry Squad rushes forward to nail the Demolisher, but even the mighty meltagun fails to penetrate its frontal armour.

An Infantry Squad charges into the Hellhound having failed to hit with their meltagun and also engages the Sisters. However, the combat goes exceedingly badly and they flee and the original unit is run down as the Inquisitor heads towards the objective.

Keldorian Turn 4

Reversing away from the meltagun, the Demolisher takes aim, but misses wildly. The Exterminator kills the last member of a Lascannon Team as it advances.

The Leman Russ scatter off the Loader, doing minimal damage to the Command Squad. The Storm Troopers inside the most advanced Chimera do what the Leman Russ have spent all game trying to do, and annihilate the Autocannon team with bursts of plasma.

The Techpriest repairs the Chimera he’s been working on as both Veteran Squads slowly advance through terrain. The Melta Storm Troopers kill one member of the Command Squad holding the mine and the rest run off the board.

The Sisters attack another Infantry Squad on the way to the objective, killing two with their flamer, and three more in assault, though two Sisters also die.

Cadian Turn 4

The Loader ends up 1” away from freedom, and gets ready to ship the Crystal. The Master of Ordnance calls down a bizarrely accurate hit on the Hellhound, but rolls a snake eyes to penetrate. A second Sentinel appears behind the Hellhound but has all the luck of its predecessor. It manages to shake it in assault though.

The meltagun continues to persecute the Demolisher but misses, and the Infantry in the centre shake the rival Chimera, but missiles otherwise rain off of it. The Commander’s Chimera kills one of the meltagun toting Storm Troopers and the other flees the board.

In assault, the last Sister dies, but the Inquisitor puts down two Guardsmen as well.

Keldorian Turn 5

The Exterminator advances and pummels the side armour of the Commander’s Chimera, but lots of cover saves mean that it is only shaken. The Demolisher kills two of the Infantry harassing it.

The Leman Russ change tack and aim for the Chimera on the objective, but are unable to do more than shake it. The Storm Troopers leave their Chimera to rush for the mine but roll horrendously and go nowhere.

The Meltavets advance and absolutely obliterate the second Sentinel (I think they rolled an eight) as the Plasmavets advance through the lake.

Having repaired the Chimera, the Techpriest begins work on the Immolator. He facepalms as the Chimera immediately immobilizes itself on some rocks.

Knowing that if he wins the combat he’ll be shot to death, Amadeus doesn’t cast hammerhand, but sees of the Guardsmen nonetheless. He jumps into the forest for cover.

Cadian Turn 5

The Loader places the Crystal in the Speeder, which promptly takes off, securing the main objective.

Having been stuck in the open, the Storm Troopers are killed by the last squad of Veterans as they disembark from their Chimera onto the objective. The second Platoon Commander moves from long inactivity towards the objective, bringing his heavy flamer.

Missiles patter of the Immolator’s hull to no effect. The Meltagun switches from the Demolisher and wrecks one of the Leman Russ. The Infantry Squad finally wreck the advanced Chimera.

With a lucky 6, a Chimera shakes the Hellhound.

Keldorian Turn 6

Moving up, the Exterminator takes a long shot at the Chimera on the objective but only shakes it. The last Leman Russ takes a shot at the bunched up Veterans but scatters badly, as does the Demolisher.

The Veterans both rush for the Objective along with the repaired Immolator and the Inquisitor, who somewhat surprised to be alive, joins the Meltavets.

The Techpriest returns to work on the Chimera with a long suffering sigh.

Cadian Turn 6

Continuing to move up, the meltagun misses the Leman Russ at point blank range. The Immolator continues its missile immunity with impunity. The heavy flamer Command Squad manages to barbeque a Plasmavet. The Master of Ordnance then kills three more, and a Chimera gets another.

On the objective, the Veterans reload back into their Chimera,

Keldorian Turn 7

The Plasmavets crown the hill overlooking the objective. The Leman Russ finally kills the last members of the Infantry Squad in the centre. The Immolator is just out of range to the Command Squad.

The Chimera being repaired makes the most wonderful shot of the game, at the Missile Launcher Team at long range. Multilaser; 3 hits, 3 wounds, 3 failed cover saves, 3 instantly dead Teams. The Demolisher kills four guardsman in that pesky meltagunner’s squad.

The Exterminator fails to damage the Chimera on the objective, but the Meltavets explode it, killing half of them, and then assault into the survivors. The Inquisitor cannot make base to base, but casts Hammerhand, and they are easily crushed.

Cadian Turn 7

Snatching away my triumph, the heavy flamer rocks up and kills seven of the Meltavets, and wounds Amadeus. The last dies to Sforza’s plasma gunner.

The Plasmavets are finally killed by Chimera fire, and the meltagunner misses the Leman Russ. Again.

The Command Squad then charges Amadeus. Cleary stunned, he causes no wounds but in a sigh of relief, the powerfist misses clean and he lives.

Results

Sforza has the Crystal
    Amadeus has the mines, but is contested.

Victory goes to Sforza and the Cadian 113th!

Man of the Match - Inquisitor Elias Amadeus

Perhaps somewhat self indulgent, what with a few contenders. The Exterminator that killed a lot, the Immolator or Autocannons that just would not die or that pesky meltagunner are all good candidates.

But the main character who almost single-handedly cut a bloody path to be the sole survivor on an objective, shedding the weaklings who could not keep up; bravo.

Overview

For the opening match for this Campaign, I couldn’t be much happier. That was an incredibly fun game, with riotously bad and good luck all around. Some turns I thought it was too easy, others that I’d blown it.

Fluffwise, the result was almost perfect with both Inquisitors surviving and having one objective each. If only I could have killed those last dudes.

I strongly recommend missions and armies designed around a narrative; they make the game so much more fun! I hope you’ll join us as we progress deeper into the campaign and the mysteries of the Ateph Crystals. We hope to do a game fortnightly, to keep momentum, while giving us time to get ideas.

Amadeus cut down the last two grunts before turning to face the sergeant, who was throwing a punch with his powerfist. He caught it in his offhand, using his hammerhand ability to match the power. He enjoyed the look of surprise on the Sergeant’s face before severing the arm and kicking him to the floor.

He opened his vox. “Could you please stop tending to the vehicles and get some diggers in here adept?” He snarled. A hasty assent came back to him. He calmed himself slightly. “There may be the other Ateph Crystals here as well. At the least we may find information.” He closed the vox and felt his ire return.

“Damn, you Sforza,” he roared. “They are mine!”

Sforza heard it all on his Cutter. He had been listening to the dead Sergeant’s channel.

The Ateph Crystals? Amadeus had given them a name, and alluded to the fact that there was more than one. And they were important enough for him to declare outright war. This was becoming very interesting. There was a lot of work to be done.

If this was a race, he had the lead.
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 27-02-2012 at 10:59.

nice! narrative campaigns are the best. pics, painted armies and a plot fitting result, whats not to like?
    Happiness is having an alibi and a big backyard to bury the bodies

Veteran Sergeant warpedpavilion's Avatar

This is fantastic. I'm looking to starting a campaign at my local gaming club, and I may use some of these ideas.

I realize these updates are a lot of work, and I hope you keep posting results as they happen! It's a great read so far.
    My core competency is competency
    Harlequins - The angry, angry death clowns of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

I once played 40k against an army of Sq**ts in 1994. Have been on the run from the Inquisition ever since.
    Getting back into the game after a few years out of it. Here's the blog of my progress: http://thelostautarch.wordpress.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by warpedpavilion View Post
    This is fantastic. I'm looking to starting a campaign at my local gaming club, and I may use some of these ideas.

I realize these updates are a lot of work, and I hope you keep posting results as they happen! It's a great read so far.

Really pleased you like it so far.

Kirisu313 is doing most of the heavy lifting regarding write ups. A very good job.

There will be more to come; watch this space.

A very good start for another narrative campaign. I like it very much and I subscribed it :-) Keep the good work up please.

Great report can't wait to see what else is in store!

Nice write up, wish I could get in on this one. Keeps us up to date.
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things.
    They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death.

Yet there is one thing they fear above all others.

They fear the wrath of the Blood Angels!

Game 2: A Deal With The Devil

It stood in the centre of the large, circular room, surrounded by a plethora of scanning and recording instruments all trying to probe the mysteries of the object. Members of the Mechanicus and the Ordo Xenos huddled around readouts, working in tandem to try to decipher anything they could.

Sforza stood watching them with idle interest. Not that the Ateph Crystal didn’t make him curious, but only results mattered now. He needed to understand the game being played here, and fast. It was not in his nature to speculate without information, but at a superficial level, he expected Necron artifice. A green, translucent hexagonal crystal seemed to fit their technology.

However, the first thing he had done was to take extensive seismological readings of the planet. And this world was definitely not a tombworld. There was no catacomb of silent killing machines underneath their feet. And the Crystal had appeared to be buried haphazardly, which made no sense. But then, what?

A gaggle of adepts and acolytes suddenly approached him in a flurry of excited voices. He silenced them with a raised hand and pointed to one of them.

“You, explain quickly.”

“My lord, by studying the unusual radiation given off by the artefact, we have been able to devise a way to start searching for any other potential artefacts and…” Sforza grabbed the data-slate in his hand immediately. It showed a topological map, with a faintly glowing rune marking the source of the radiation.

“A match,” he breathed, turning on his communicator. “Colonel Murrish, mobilize your Cadians at once. I have a mission for you.”

Amadeus swore and threw his chair across the room in a blinding rage. A diligent servitor moved to clean it up, and Amadeus shot it in the head with his bolt pistol for good measure.

His informant within Sforza’s operation had told him of their discovery, but they would already be at the site, unearthing the crystal! There was no way that he could intercept them. The Keldorians had taken a pounding and goodwill was currently in short supply. He cared not, but had to be careful not to expend them as a useful ally too early. But there was no way to catch up, even if they hadn’t expended a lot of their mechanised assets.

He needed to make a deal with the devil.

It took five minutes to make the call.

“Ah, Elias, my old friend!” came the voice through his special communicator, thick with faked good humour. “It’s so good to hear from you again!”

“Shove it Kuras, I have no time. I’ll play nice later. I have a job that needs doing, and it needs doing right now.” He outlined the problem at hand. There was a pause, expectant.

“One thousand,” the voice said, now business-like.

“Agreed.”

“Then consider it done!” The cheer was back in Kuras’ voice. “I’ll bring you your prize and then we can have a nice chat about old times, can’t we?” The line went dead. Amadeus almost broke the communicator in his hand but managed to relax. It might be infuriating, but Kuras would certainly get the job done. He breathed out steadily.

He stopped to look at the ruined servitor. The violent flashes seemed to be coming more frequently now. Perhaps because his goal was so near. But he was an Inquisitor and his will would not falter to such petty human failings. He felt himself calming, the training that made his kind so strong clamping down.

Once he got this Crystal, things would start happening.

Commissar Zayker finally felt himself begin to relax. During retrieval, he’d been constantly on edge, waiting for attack, but they’d exhumed the Crystal successfully, and now the Inquisitor’s base was in sight as his mechanised column wound its way home. It was just a little further.

It would seem to Zayker as if every warning chime and vox-channel activated at the same time.

From the front of the column, pitch-black vessels swept in like daggers made of the purest night.

High overhead in his Venom, Archon Kuras grinned, thinking of the fun he would have.

The Kabal of the Shattered Mirror had arrived.

Overview

Hello there, and welcome to the second game in the Ateph Campaign! In this 2000pts mission, the Cadian 113th are transporting a Crystal home, lengthways down the board. The Crystal is in a vehicle, which I am not privy to. The Dark Eldar launch their ambush by coming in from the other short board edge.

If he gets the Crystal off the other short board edge or I never discover it, he wins. If I can crack the correct vehicle, the Crystal becomes a static objective, and the winner is the one that holds it.

The Kabal of the Shattered Mirror
    Archon Kuras – Djin Blade, Blast Pistol, Ghostplate, Clone Field, Combat Drugs, Haywire Grenades
    4 Incubi – Klaivex w/ Demiklaives, Venom w/ Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets
    5 Trueborn – Dracon w/ Venom Blade, 4 Blasters, both Grenades, Venom w/Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets
    10 Blue Wyches – Hekatryx w/ Agoniser, 2 Shardnets, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/ Flickerfields
    10 Red Wyches – Hekatryx w/ Agoniser, 2 Hydra Gauntlets, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/ Flickerfields
    5 Blue Warriors – Sybarite w/ Venom Blade, Blaster, Venom w/ Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets
    5 Red Warriors – Sybarite w/ Venom Blade, Blaster, Venom w/ Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets
    5 Purple Warriors – Sybarite w/ Venom Blade, Blaster, Venom w/ Splinter Cannon, Retrofire Jets
    3 Reaver Jetbikes – Arena Champion w/ Venom Blade, Heat Lance
    Ravager – Flickerfields
    Ravager – Flickerfields
    Razorwing – Flickerfields, Splinter Cannon, Disintegrators, 4 Shatterfield Missiles

The Cadian 113th
    Lord Commissar Zayker – Powerfist
    Veteran Squad 450 – Meltagun, Famer, Chimera
    Veteran Squad 501 – Bolt Pistol, Meltagun, Chimera
    Veteran Squad 005 – Plasma Pistol, Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Chimera
    2 Sentinels
    Leman Russ Squadron 1
    ---Vanquisher – Lascannon, Heavy Stubber, Dozer Blade
    ---Vanquisher – Lascannon, Heavy Stubber, Multi-melta sponsons
    Leman Russ Squadron 2
    ---Demolisher – Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade
    ---Eradicator – Heavy Stubber, Dozer Blade
    Leman Russ Squadron 3
    ---Battle Tank – Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber
    ---Battle Tank – Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber
    ---Battle Tank – Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolter

Deployment

The Cadians deploy their three Chimeras on the road itself in a line. The Demolisher-Eradicator Squadron is on their right, and the Leman Russ and Vanquishers are on the left. The Sentinels are outriders and will outflank from one of the long board edges.

The Dark Eldar do not deploy for this mission, but come on from the opposite board edge on turn 1. The Venoms and Razorwing are circling high above to deep strike and complete the trap. The Combat Drugs is the ability to re-roll wounds thanks to Painbringer.

Dark Eldar Turn 1

The swift vehicles of the Dark Eldar come on at high speed, with both Raiders moving flat out towards the enemy, and the Reavers boosting madly down the left flank. The Ravagers hang back slightly, to draw out the Imperial shooting.

Cadian Turn 1

The Guard convoy grinds forward slowly, eager to press forward, but not to sacrifice their firepower.

The Chimera’s fire speculative shots at the nearest Raider, but they are easily avoided by the half-invisible craft.

The Leman Russ Squadrons all target the central Ravager, but the Vanquishers and Demolisher miss wildly. The Battle Tanks weigh in; shattering the fragile craft in a volley of high ordnance, but the Ravager’s wreckage now blocks the road.

Dark Eldar Turn 2

From out of the sun, the Dark Eldar aircraft descend to ensnare the Cadians. The Red Warriors and Trueborn appear on the right side, and the Blue Warriors land on the left. Two of the Venoms land in dense foliage, but avoid snaring themselves.

The Razorwing, mishaps and was clearly disoriented by the drugs he’s been taking as my opponent places him centrally, facing the wrong way!

The Eldar craft all advance swiftly, the Reavers in particular crossing the full six foot board in just two turns, using the Leman Russ’ own bulk to find hiding places.

The dark lance fire is meagre, but the remaining Ravager scores a nice bonus, immobilizing the front Chimera and barring the way for those behind.

Cadian Turn 2

The tanks begin to slowly spill around the damaged Chimera. Perhaps in a sense of evil justice, the Chimera immobilizes the Razorwing, leaving it in one of the most useless positions imaginable.

From the backs of their Chimeras, Squads 450 and 005 destroy the Trueborn’s Venom in a ball of fire, killing one of them. The Chimera’s themselves strip a splinter cannon from the Red Warrior’s Venom, and Immobilize the Red Wyches Raider.

The Vanquishers fail to strike the Blue Venom as it jinks away, flickerfields flaring. The Demolisher stuns the Blue Wyches Raider, but then the Leman Russ annihilate it, killing six of the Wyches inside. The rest fail their morale in the face of such overwhelming firepower and will spend the rest of the game running back down the board.

Dark Eldar Turn 3

The last two Venoms appear, the Archon’s touching down in front of the armoured column, and the Purple Warrior’s making a daring deepstrike successfully behind the enemy force.

From the back of their Venom, the Blue Warriors explode one of the Vanquisher’s with a pinpoint shot from their blaster. On the other side of the line, the Demolisher too, comes apart in a ball of flame, killing the Dracon.

The Ravager explodes the lead Chimera, and Squad 450 bail out, losing six men to the conflagration, before three of the survivors are struck down by the Archon’s Venom, leaving the sole survivor alone and pinned.

The Red Raider and Red Venom do nothing useful this turn, but the Trueborn on the other end of the competence spectrum decide that one tank a turn isn’t enough and assault the Eradicator, immobilizing the tank and further blocking progress for the Chimera’s.

Cadian Turn 3

Veteran Squads 005 and 501 disembark to deal with things personally. 501’s flamer licks along the Eradicator’s hull but only two Trueborn die. The other Veterans shoot into the nearby Purple Venom, but both the Plasma Gunner and Sergeant kill themselves thanks to overheating. Traversing hard, it is the Vanquisher that destroys the Venom, but due to the stubber, not the main cannon. The Eradicator aims at the disembarking Warriors, but only nabs two of them.

Chimera 005 explodes the Incubi’s Venom killing one. The Leman Russ Battle Tanks take aim at the survivors. Seeing the considerable firepower of three Leman Russ, Archon Kuras activates his webway portal and the Archon and Incubi disappear back to Commorragh moments before the shots land. (Game-wise they were obliterated with something like seven wounds apiece.)

Veteran Squad 501 engages a multi-charge against the survivors of the Trueborn and Purple Warriors, but three Veterans die to only two of the Warriors. The Trueborn wrecks the nova cannon on the Eradicator in the meantime.

Dark Eldar Turn 4

The advancing Ravager kills its second Chimera, and a gleaming crystal is revealed along with the Commissar Lord, who is very unlucky and gets pinned on a double six. The Blue Venom and Reavers leap the line of tanks into the rear of the formation.

The last member of Squad 450 is killed by the Red Venom, but the Warriors miss with their blaster. Squad 005 manages to see off the Trueborn and Purple Warriors, but not before the Eradicator is shaken. The Reavers charge into Squad 501 and kill four for one loss, but the presence of the Commissar nearby means that they do not flee.

Cadian Turn 4

The Sentinels finally arrive and immediately make their presence felt, exploding the Ravager from behind. Squad 501 and their Chimera target the Blue Venom, but miss in a hilarious fashion; they try to surround it in assault, but cannot land a good blow on the swift vehicle.

The Leman Russ say “you die” to their next target, exploding the Red Venom, killing one Warrior.

The Reavers kill one Veteran.

Dark Eldar Turn 5

The Blue Venom moves away from the Veterans, kills three with its cannons, and unloads the Warriors. They assault in to help the Reavers out and engage the Commissar Lord. Three die to his fist, but not before he is wounded and two Veterans are dragged down.

The Red Warriors move forward through craters, but miss with their blaster. The Red Wyches had been idling in their Raider for a few turns, wary to cross the open ground with the Leman Russ watching. But since the Imperial line had stalled, they had to join in. Due to a lot of sixes, they manage to cross a full 18” and assault the Eradicator, knocking out the Lascannon.

Cadian Turn 5

Tracking the fast moving bodies, the Leman Russ Squadron blows apart six of the Wyches and the Hekatryx as they move behind cover. This marks the first time in the game where they haven’t simply obliterated their target. Two Red Warriors die to the last Chimera, including the blaster, but hey, it missed a lot.

The Vanquisher chooses to kill the prone Razorwing, but only knocks out a disintegrator. The advancing Sentinels do nothing.

Squad 005 misses the Blue Venom (again) and charges into it and the Reavers. In the complicated assault, things go well for the Dark Eldar. At I6, the Reavers kill the last member of 501 and wound the Commissar, gaining a pain token, before the Warriors strike his last wound, gaining their own. This mitigates the charging Veteran’s attacks, but they hold on anyway.

Dark Eldar Turn 6

The Red Warriors run over the burning wreckage of a Chimera, losing the Sybarite, but now hold the objective.

The Red Wyches leave the smoking hulk of the Eradicator to assault the Leman Russ. With three automatic haywire grenade hits, turning into three incredibly lucky glances, two Leman Russ die and the last is shaken. That was amazing.

The Veterans are whittled down by the Warriors and Reavers.

Cadian Turn 6

The Vanquisher spins on the spot to destroy the Blue Venom behind it, but even at point blank range it misses with every shot it has! The Sentinels bounce off of the Razorwing’s mighty hull…yeah.

The Reavers miss, but the Warriors finish the Veterans, gaining their second pain token.

Dark Eldar Turn 7

The Reavers chase down the last Russ, but cannot hurt it, even with plasma grenades. The Red Warrior hides behind the Eradicator as the Blue Warriors chip away at the Chimera, immobilizing and stunning it.

Cadian Turn 7

The Sentinels pound away at the Razorwing to little effect.

There is some devilry going on as the Vanquisher and Leman Russ target the Reavers and Warriors, but only one bike falls, do to some very jammy saves.

Turns 8-10

The following turns devolve into something of a hilarious farce as the Dark Eldar try to shift the Chimera and Eradicator from the objective and failing. For their part, with a Russ and Vanquisher, the Cadians cannot kill 1 Reaver, 3 Warriors or a Venom. Any of them. No one dies for three turns. That includes the Razorwing who is repeatedly shot and assaulted by the Sentinels, losing gun after gun, but not dying.

Results

The Objective is held by the Red and Blue Warriors but contested by the Eradicator and Chimera.

A Draw!

It is decided that since I am the only one with scoring units on the objective, that for the narrative of the campaign, the Dark Eldar whisk the Crystal away in the nearby Venom. (Cont’d)
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 25-03-2012 at 22:22.

Game 2 Continued

Man of the Match – The Red Wyches

Hmm. A tough call, since most things performed hilariously badly. The Vets that couldn’t hit, the Backward Razorwing, the tardy Sentinels and the Incubi who never got going. The Leman Russ Squadron was probably the scariest thing on the board, but it was almost 600pts and didn’t kill that many back. The Trueborn about pulled even. The Wyches took out over double their points in one assault phase, and stopped two other tanks from doing anything. I should have committed them earlier.

Thoughts

Well that was fun! Ridiculous, ridiculous fun.

That devolved into one of the most bizarre games that I’ve ever had. It was fun playing with Retrofire Jets for a change. It’s looked down upon, but it’s a cheap upgrade, and made for some cool imagery.

While the mission was a bit of a failure in terms of the Guard getting anywhere, it was still good to play with different objectives and deployments in mind.

At the very least, this Crystal is mine. Soon, my plan will be fulfilled! Bwahahahahaha!

Amadeus regarded the Crystal with barely contained glee. It stood there, a physical manifestation of the triumph he felt in his heart.

“Well, well, Elias. Seems like you’ve found something interesting here,” said Kuras conversationally. Amadeus sighed deeply inside, but decided to put on his friendly face for the moment, as he was in a good mood.

“Yes, thank you Kuras. You are a reliable friend indeed.” Kuras’ smile at the compliment was sickening. It was always hard to know what was sincere and what was a façade when dealing with this Eldar. Amadeus wondered if the two were even separable. “You have received your payment?”

“One thousand slaves, all able bodied and healthy,” Kuras confirmed, “but I wonder, can even an Inquisitor make so many people disappear without raising questions?” It was Amadeus’ turn for an evil smile. Even Kuras was back-footed momentarily.

“Plenty more where they came from.”

“Well then,” said Kuras looking at the Crystal, “I’m curious. Maybe I’ll stick around for a while!”

Sforza personally observed the smoking wreckage of the battlefield. Storm Troopers were digging out any survivors they could they find. As to be expected when fighting the Dark Eldar, there weren’t many. Most would be destined for a slow death in Commoragh. He could see the form of Commissar Zayker been carried away by the medics. The Dark Eldar had left him for dead. Sforza had no idea what sort of Iron Will would allow a man to live through such injuries.

What an unexpected ally! He had no idea what sort of man would try to broker a deal with the most treacherous race in existence. At least they would as likely kill Amadeus as aid him. Sforza told himself not to be so naïve.

Also, this had raised the possibility of a rat within his own people. How far ahead had Amadeus planned to make that happen? He would have to tighten his already formidable security.

He turned back towards the base. He would need to find the next Crystal soon.

Chaplain

An excellent write up as always; well done.

The game that probability forgot!

great stuff, made me want to break out my leman russ squadrons again

Game 3: The Trap

Ricardo Sforza strode into the room with a brisk pace. The scientists looked up in fear.

“Tell me that you have useful information for me,” he stated.

“Um…well, we believe that the Crystal resonates in some manner with the barrier between the real universe and the empyrean. We have no idea if this is to draw power from, or to exert power over, though…we were thinking about requesting a psyker consult at this point, as their insight into such matters may prove useful.”

“You shall have it. Does this lend credence to the notion that this artefact is not a xenos construct?”
    The adept began hedging, so Sforza immediately spoke over him with another question. “Have you advanced in locating another crystal?” The adept’s expression was grim but a chime went off, and the adept’s face brightened.

“Yes,” he said. A few minutes passed as the adepts made sense of the data coming in. “It’s moving.”

Amadeus had clearly used his Crystal to find others as well.

Sforza frowned. The path of the crystal’s movement would put it within striking distance of his base, and basic readings only showed the enemy force to be very small. He would mobilize the Cadian’s full might to crush whatever pitiful force Amadeus had put together.

Amadeus grinned as he felt the ground shake beneath the treads of the approaching enemy force.

“So, took my bait, did you?” Basilisks began long distance shelling instantly, scoring early kills and goading the Cadians further into the trap, eager to crush the small force opposing him. Amadeus pulled out his comm-unit.

“Close the trap.”

Overview

Hello there, and welcome to the third game in the Ateph Campaign! In this mismatched mission, Amadeus is using the third crystal to purposefully bait Sforza into a trap. 1500pts of the Keldorians must hold out against an overwhelming force of 3000pts of Cadians, until 2000pts of the Kabal of the Shattered Mirror can spring the trap.

The game is played down the length of the board, and the Dark Eldar units must be held in reserve and will arrive from one of the long board edges to ambush the Cadian forces. We won’t know which board edge until they turn up.

During this game, there was a lot of sun on the board, and there wasn’t much we could do about it, sorry.

The Cadian 113th

Inquisitor Ricardo Sforza – Company Commander w/ Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs, Medic, Heavy Flamer, Plasma Gun, Meltagun, Carapace, Chimera
    1 Storm Troopers – Power Weapon, Flamer, Meltagun
    Techpriest Enginseer - Servitor
    Veterans –Plasma Pistol, 3 Plasma Guns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    Veterans – Bolt Pistol, 3 Plasma Guns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    Veterans – Plasma Gun, 2 Meltaguns, Grenadiers
    2 Sentinels – Multilaser
    Valkyrie – Multiple Rocket Pods, Heavy Bolters
    Vendetta – Heavy Bolters
    Leman Russ Squadron – Demolisher, Eradicator
    Leman Russ Squadron – 3 Leman Russ Battle Tanks
    Baneblade Superheavy Tank – Extra Sponsons, Pintle Stubber

The Keldorian Vanguard

Inquisitor Elias Amadeus – Force Weapon & Hammerhand, Power Armour
    5 Sisters of Battle – Flamer, Immolator
    Colonel Starker – Power Sword, Flamer, Standard, Medic, Carapace, Chimera
    Techpriest Enginseer
    Veterans – Power Fist, 3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    Veterans – Power Sword, 3 Plasma Guns, Grenadiers, Chimera
    3 Sentinels - Multilaser
    3 Sentinels – Lascannons
    3 Sentinels – Autocannons
    Basilisk
    Basilisk
    Basilisk

The Wych Cult of the Kabal of the Shattered Mirror

Succubus Arianys – Agoniser, Haywire Grenades
    9 Bloodbrides – Syren w/ Agoniser, 3 Hydra Gauntlets, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/Flickerfields
    10 Blue Wyches – Hekatryx w/ Agoniser, 2 Shardnets, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/Flickerfields
    10 Red Wyches – Hekatryx w/ Agoniser, 2 Hydra Gauntlets, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/Flickerfields
    10 Purple Wyches – Hekatryx w/ Agoniser, 2 Razorflails, Haywire Grenades, Raider w/Flickerfields
    6 Reavers – Arena Champion w/ Venom Blade, 2 Heat Lances
    5 Beastmasters – 10 Khymerae, 1 Fiend
    10 Scourges – Solarite w/ Venom Blade, 2 Heat Lances, 2 Haywire Blasters
    Ravager – Flickerfields
    Ravager – Flickerfields

Deployment

The Keldorians deploy first with Amadeus and Starker hiding in their Chimeras in one ruin, and the Veterans doing likewise on the right flank. The Lascannon Sentinels hide in a forest at the rear while the Autocannons stand in plain view on the left flank. The Multilaser Sentinels purposefully deploy in front of the HQ Chimeras to shield them. The Basilisks space out along the rear.

The Cadians form a huge line centred around the Baneblade with the Chimeras at the core and the Leman Russ at the edges, with the Demolisher squadron on the right and the Battle Tanks on the left. The aircraft are spaced out amongst the line, and the Techpriest is directly behind the Baneblade to offer support to the behemoth.

Cadian Turn 1

The entire line rumbles forward at combat speed save for the Battle Tanks who hang back to shoot at full capacity, and the aircraft who dart ahead, the Valkyrie gunning forward at top speed.

The Vendetta opens fire in a masterful display, nailing all three Autocannon Sentinels with its lascannons! Two of the Multilaser Sentinels come apart under the Leman Russ’ bombardment. A Lascannon Sentinel dies to a lucky multilaser round.

The Baneblade’s mighty firepower is mercifully rather poorly aimed, but the last Mutilaser Sentinel and another Lascannon Sentinel die to it.

Keldorian Turn 1

With most of their light scouts dead, there is little for Amadeus’ force to do now but hang on for reinforcements.

Luck is extremely poor this turn, as I start by rolling five consecutive 1’s, immobilizing a Chimera and missing flat out with a Multilaser and Lascannon. Later on, another multilaser rolls a triple 1 to hit.

The Basilisks manage to hit the aircraft, but the only result is stunning the Vendetta.

Cadian Turn 2

The Cadians continue to roll forward, the aircraft now bracketing the ruins housing the Keldorian’s HQ units.

A Chimera kills the last Sentinel, then a torrent of firepower descends upon the two HQ Chimeras. However, due to being in cover, the great majority is wasted, causing only Weapon Destroyed and Immobilization results, even despite the Baneblade’s colossal firepower. At the last gasp, the Vaklyrie scores a lucky hit, and wrecks the Immolator, Amadeus and the Sisters piling out.
    Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 2

From the right flank they come, five units in total, the Red and Purple Wyches, the Beastmasters, the Bloodbrides and the Scourges. The Purple Wyches and Beastmasters come on in front of the line, aiming for the lead the Chimera and rest come on behind, but the Bloodbrides do not disembark yet.

Even with some dark lances in the rear, shooting is not great this turn, only shaking the Valkyrie. One Basilisk scores a nice little perk by purposefully aiming for the rear of the Banebade and kills the Techpriest in the blast.

The Red Wyches charge the Demolisher Squadron and the Purple charge a Chimera. I considered charging the Beastmasters too, but was afraid that an explosion result would be bad.

However, the Purple Wyches, despite needing the sixes to hit, Immobilize the Chimera and destroy its multilaser. The Red Wyches with much easier targets are only able to shake the Demolisher!

Cadian Turn 3 (Wow, the sun’s bad!)

The Sentinels arrive from outflank, deep in my deployment area, and are swiftly joined by the Storm Troopers descending from the Vendetta. Hotshot lasgun fire kills all of the Sisters, and then a lascannon from the Vendetta strikes Amadeus in the shoulder, taking him out of the fight. The Sentinels shoot and charge the closest Basilisk, immobilizing it.

The line of tanks half turn to engage the encroaching Dark Eldar. Several Khymerae are blown apart by shelling from all five Russ, and the Fiend roars as its blood drips. The Squad unfortunately flees from the board as a response.

Sforza and a squad of Veterans disembark, the latter killing several of the Purple Wyches, the remnants fleeing. Thanks to his flamer, Sforza kills all of the Red Wyches. And to think that they were MVPs last game!

The Baneblade blows apart the Purple and Red Raiders, but doesn’t scratch the Bloodbride’s. The main cannon lands right on the Scourges, but three pull through, thanks to their ghostplate armour.

Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 3

All of the remaining Dark Eldar units come in this turn. The Blue Wyches move flat out down my deployment zone to assist as soon as possible. The Reavers boost into the centre, decapitating two veterans. The Ravagers move on in the very rear of the Cadian line, and take shots at the Baneblade, stunning its main weaponry for a turn.

The Succubus and Bloodbrides charge into Sforza’s retinue and Chimera, scoring an Immobilization result and destroying the multilaser (huh, just like the Purple Wyches). Sforza’s men are easily seen off and scattered by the Adrenalight glanding elites, but instead of running down after the enemy general, they hug the Chimera, to make sure that blasts cannot hit them.
    Elsewhere, my Chimeras score an Immobilzation result on one of his, and blow off the multilaser…huh, déjà vu. The Basilisks do nothing useful.

Colonel Starker disembarks, dragging the crystal with him, to deal with the Storm Troopers, killing two in shooting, and two more in assault, but loses three men in return.

Cadian Turn 4

The Blue Raider comes under fire, losing its dark lance and being stunned by the Vendetta. A Chimera then Immobilizes, sending it crashing to the floor. One of the Blue Wyches is killed by a pintle stubber.

The Leman Russ destroy the Bloodbride’s Raider, killing a Scourge in the explosion. The Eradicator kills three Reavers, but the rest easily evade the Demolisher’s fire. Bereft of its more potent artillery, the Baneblade finishes off the Scourges and kicks another Reaver from his saddle.

The Veterans in the centre kill three of the Bloodbrides, and another Veteran Squad shake one of my Chimeras. In assault, the Bloodbrides fail to do more than shake and stun the Chimera. The Valkyrie backs off after unloading more Veterans who fail to damage Starker’s Chimera in any way.

The Sentinels explode a Basilisk, and the debris hurtles over Starker and the Storm Troopers, felling those on both sides. As the combat draws to a close, only the Sergeant and Colonel are left, power swords locked, with Starker on his last wound.

Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 4

Darting forward, the Ravager’s find themselves shrugged off by the Baneblade’s armoured hide, like wasps stinging a rhino. Y’now, the animals, not the Eldar walkers and Space Marine transport…stop labouring the metaphor!

The Reavers and Blue Wyches manage to completely surround the lead Chimera and wreck it, killing the Veterans inside mercilessly. The Bloodbrides move across the board, killing the next Veteran Squad in their way and again hugging the Chimera for safety.

The Basilisks finally score a telling blow, and the Vendetta falls from the sky in a ball of flame.

Parrying the Sergeant, Colonel Starker decapitates his opponent with a deft swing of his sword.

Cadian Turn 5

Spitting fire in all directions, the Baneblade immobilizes a Ravager, kills a Bloodbride, and blows six Blue Wyches and the remaining Reavers to oblivion. The remaining Blue Wyches are annihilated by the Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

The Demolisher squadron and Valkyrie kill all of the remaining Bloodbrides save the Syren. The Veterans who descended from the Valkyrie last turn wreck the Chimera they failed to kill before.

The Sentinels kill Starker, and he drops the Ateph Crystal for anyone to claim.

Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 5

Without much to do, the Succubus and Syren charge the Demolisher, shaking it. The Ravagers score a Chain Reaction on the Baneblade, but it doesn’t go anywhere as the primary gun makes its save.

The Plasmavet Chimera makes a sudden dash for the fallen crystal. One Basilisk gets the Multilaser on…an…immobilized…Chimera…hmm. The other kills two Veterans with a blind shot.

Cadian Turn 6

The Baneblade stuns one of the Ravagers buzzing around and shakes the rushing Chimera, blowing its turret off as well. The Leman Russ smash one of the Basilisk’s earthshaker cannons, but the Sentinels cannot harm the other.

Reversing, the Demolisher and Eradicator annihilate the Succubus and Syren.

Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 6

The Ravagers score another Chain Reaction that goes nowhere. One of my Immobilized Chimeras explodes one of his.

In a long shot, the rushing Chimera goes full tilt and rotates, dropping the Plasmavets on the objective. They immediately throw fire into the enemy Veterans, killing three as they go to ground.

Trying to clear the objective, one Basilisk shoots at the Valkyrie, but misses.

Cadian Turn 7

The Baneblade continues to swat at the pests buzzing around, immobilizing one Ravager and blowing the other out of the sky.

The Demolisher kills a Basilisk, and the Leman Russ blow the multilaser…off of an immobilized Chimera.

The Sentinels then charge my Veterans and Chimera without its multilaser…and immobilize it. The Vets fight back with Kraks but do not land a telling blow.

Keldorian & Dark Eldar Turn 7

The Veterans kill a Sentinel, but this simply means they pile into the other, dragging them away from the objective.
    The Ravager fires. Three shots. Two hits. One penetrate. Structure Damaged. And its gone! In a nice consolation prize, the Baneblade dies as the game comes to a close.

Results

A Cadian Veteran squad holds the Crystal.

The Cadians win!
    Man of the Match –The Ravager

I mean dude, sweet shot, bro.

Amusingly, the Baneblade had not one lick of damage apart from its structure points. True to the Dark Eldar way of war, the mighty behemoth was felled by three pinpoint shots into vital areas of its hull.

Thoughts

Now that was definitely a blast. While I lost, I got the Baneblade, and avenged Amadeus by killing Sforza.

If I got the other board edge, I’d have definitely won, with the Dark Eldar reinforcing my objective, but based on that, I should have deployed it more centrally, so that I could get it from either side.

If you’ve been paying attention to my little asides, every single Chimera in that game suffered an immobilization and lost its multilaser! Some later died, but none suffered anything else. It was freaky.

The third crystal goes to Sforza for now…but a change in dynamic is coming. Only two crystals remain, and their function will be revealed…

”Lord Inquisitor, are you alright?” yelled Sergeant Barbus from the descending Valkyrie.

“Yes, fine,” he replied laconically, climbing inside, “now get us back to base.” He eyed the Crystal as the craft regained altitude. He’d been very lucky to survive the attentions of the Succubus, but had managed to hide long enough for the matters of war to drag her gaze elsewhere. Sforza was not a combatant by nature, more suited to political intrigue and solving mysteries, and had no qualms about saving himself in such a manner.

As they approached the base, the Crystal began to glow…

The Sentinel died suddenly, to the surprise of the Veterans, the pilot keeling over with blood pouring from his eyes, ears and nose. The Sentinel fell over to reveal the form of Amadeus, cracking with psychic might.

“Is one of you fools going to help me?” he snarled, clutching his bloody shoulder. Sergeant Gastonne himself ran forward to support the ailing Inquisitor.

“My Lord, I must ask, why were those foul Xenos aiding us?” Amadeus sighed, and looked into the Sergeant’s face.

“Colonel Starker is dead. You Keldorians are now leaderless. I need men to follow under me, but things are moving quickly. Sergeant…Gastonne, is it? I am going to tell you and your men what is going on here, and then you are going to have to make some very important decisions.”

He spoke with sincerity. “I cannot promise you answers you’ll like, but I can tell you that here, on this planet lies enough power to shape the future of this sector.”

Chaplain

Excellent write up as always.

Your pic even caught the light of the emperor shining on the Cadian 113th!
    Last edited by orlando davion; 25-03-2012 at 22:34. Reason: typo correction

great stuff, that Baneblade sure gave as good as it got. Epic!

(once again a nice scenario, and it balanced out well too)

Some excellent reports here as always! Loving the write ups, some very shady business going on in the Inquisition!
    People who think there's no good way to die have obviously never heard the phrase 'Drug-fuelled-sex-heart attack'.

My norse dwarfs
    Hive Fleet Colossus (zoats!)

Veteran Sergeant warpedpavilion's Avatar

Loving the narrative campaign. Keep it up, it's a great read! Thanks again for the effort.
    My core competency is competency
    Harlequins - The angry, angry death clowns of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

I once played 40k against an army of Sq**ts in 1994. Have been on the run from the Inquisition ever since.
    Getting back into the game after a few years out of it. Here's the blog of my progress: http://thelostautarch.wordpress.com

I like your campaigns very much. Keep up the nice work and show the world how 40k is done from a fluff POV

Just wanted to add a pat on the back for these reports and say it's awesome to see you back with another narrative campaign! Great stuff as expected, looking forward to seeing how this one unfolds!
    My Space Hulk log

My Warhammer Quest Log

Quote Originally Posted by rodmillard View Post
    Games are pretty much always present at my drinking table

Game 4: The Taint Revealed

“Someone tell me what is going on,” demanded Sforza, his patience wearing thin. The original crystal was glowing madly now, and the second crystal had been separated from it for fear of them reacting in some way. The adepts continued to monitor it with wary expressions. Colonel Murrish of the Cadians was also present.

Sforza’s demand had been directed at an astropath who had been called in as a psychic consult. Sforza didn’t like the way the blindfolded man looked directly at his eyes before speaking.

“The Crystals send a form of radiation into the warp. The purpose of this continues to be unclear, as it doesn’t appear to go anywhere. However, upon proximity to the second Crystal, they both began to send a new form of radiation into the warp. It is distinct from the first kind, and has a clear direction, and even a frequency.”

Sforza’s brain, used to such riddles as an Inquisitor, immediately realised the significance. “It’s a message?”

“It appears that way. As to its exact destination or content, we are still working. However, you must look at this quickly,” he finished, gesturing to an adept at a monitor.

“My Lord, it is not just our Crystals that are reacting. We have a positive lock on three others. This one,” the adept gestured to a point on the monitor, “Is where we believe Amadeus’ bas to be. But these two…”

“Are uncontested,” Sforza interrupted. “We must capture them immediately.”

“I’m not sure that I have the manpower to grab both at the same time,” Colonel Murrish began.

“You take this one, leave the other to me. Be careful. If we can see them, surely Amadeus can too.”

Almost to ruin his point, the Crystal stopped glowing, all of its readings returning to normal.

“Hmm, seems like they’ve finished transmitting their message…what are you waiting for? Go!”

Kuras laughed, high pitched and annoying. Purposefully so, Amadeus guessed.

“So Elias, what will you do now?” Amadeus rounded on him, fury in his eyes.

“We’d have the second Crystal now, if you hadn’t failed me….” Kuras cut him off with a raised finger.

“Because we’re friends Elias, I’ll let that go. Let’s be clear, it is my sister who failed you, and the honourable Succubus will get a flogging once she’s out of the regen pods. Now, she was my underling, and as a respectable business man, that falls upon me, so I’ll sell you my services for free this time.”

Amadeus wondered briefly how literal that flogging was, but moved on, pointing to one of the blips. “Get me this one Kuras, and all will be well. You’ll be rewarded handsomely.”

“I’ll see to it personally this time. But what about the other?”

Amadeus snarled. “I have other friends. Poor little Sforza was originally called in to deal with some ‘minor dissidents’. Little does he know, but they’re much more than that and I’ve been here arming them!” He laughed out loud. “And their main coven happens to be right on top of that blip! My own private army!”

A moment passed, and Amadeus continued. “And I just happen to have given them the perfect digging machine!”

Captain Raynor looked through his scope, his face aghast. Mutants! Horrific creatures shambled through the ruined city, each a parody on man’s holy form. Some were bestial, like the Satyrs of myth. Others had glistening scales like reptiles, and others were little more than hunched troglodytes. Two giants moved amongst them, one clawed like a crustacean, the other with a constant flow of faces erupting and sinking on his skin.

But worst of all, surrounding the crystal was a coven of psykers, their mouths moving with unheard chanting, and the crystal had been marked with foul icons that Raynor could not bear to look at.

This changed nothing. His orders were clear, and exterminating these vermin would be a righteous cause in its own way. However…he wondered how such creatures could have had the ability to unearth the crystal.

If not for the roar of his own vehicle’s engines, he might have heard the scraping from underground…

Overview

Hello and welcome to the fourth battle in the Ateph Campaign! In this mission, 3000pts of the Cadian 113th have to storm through 2000pts of the lost and the damned as they constantly recycle up from the sewers. The enemy Psykers are using the Crystal as a focal point to disrupt the warp, and at some point in the game, my general will be possessed by a greater daemon.

Don’t worry too much about the exact composition of the LatD, as it’s a bit of a hodgepodge of units. It’s mostly cheap chaff, however. Note that for the purposes of this game, the Brass Scorpion possesses the Mawloc’s terror from the deep rule, to represent its digging abilities though the sewer network.

There are six manholes on the board, and all of my troops have sustained assault. When they come back on, I D6 to see which manhole they appear from. If it’s blocked, then I get one re-roll. If it’s still blocked, they don’t appear that turn.

The Psykers are performing a summoning ritual using the Crystal. If I can roll lower than the turn number, my General will be possessed by a Lord of Change. The unit has a 3+ invulnerable save until the summoning happens to represent the swirling energies protecting them.

The Cadian 113th
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ateph4 002.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	137559

Company Command Squad – Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs, Medic, Vox, 2 Plasma Guns, Carapace Armour, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet, 2 Bodyguards, Chimera
    Platoon 1
    ---Platoon Command Squad – Power Sword, Plasma Pistol,Medic, Vox, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer
    ---Infantry Squad – Bolt Pistol, Meltagun, VOx
    ---Infantry Squad – Meltagun, Vox
    ---Infantry Squad – Bolt Pistol, Meltagun, Vox
    ---Flamer Squad
    ---Mortar Squad
    ---Mortar Squad
    ---Missile Launcher Squad
    Platoon 2
    ---Platoon Command Squad – Power Fist, Medic, Vox, Grenade Launcher, Sniper Rifle
    ---Infantry Squad – Vox, Plasma Gun
    ---Autocannon Squad
    ---Lascannon Squad
    Platoon 3
    ---Platoon Command Squad – Power Fist, Medic, Vox, Plasma Gun
    ---Infantry Squad – Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Vox
    ---Infantry Squad – Meltagun, Vox
    ---Flamer Squad
    ---Lascannon Squad
    ---Lascannon Squad
    Veteran Squad – Plasma Pistol, Vox, 3 Plasma Guns, Chimera
    Veteran Squad – Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun, 2 Meltaguns
    Valkrie – Mulitple Rocket Pods, Heavy Bolters
    10 Stormtroopers – Power Weapon, Flamer, Meltagun
    Vendetta – Heavy Bolters
    2 Sentinels

The Chaos Uprising

Name:	Ateph4 001.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	137562

Rogue Psyker (Primaris Psyker)
    Lord of Change – All Upgrades
    6 Sanctioned Psykers – Handler
    15 Mutants – Additional CCW, Icon of Khorne, Boss
    15 Mutants – Pistols, Icon of Chaos Glory, Boss
    15 Mutants – Lasguns, Icon of Nurgle, Boss
    4 Big Mutants – Mark of Chaos Glory, Rabble Rouser
    3 Big Mutants – Mark of Khorne
    10 Spider Mutants (Rough Rider) – 2 Flamers
    10 Chaos Warhounds
    5 Chaos Spawn
    Giant Chaos Spawn
    Giant Chaos Spawn
    Brass Scorpion

Deployment

Name:	Ateph4 005.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	477.2 KB 
ID:	137563

I deploy first in the gorgeous city board Orlando has set out. My Psykers deploy around the Crystal as discussed. My front line is held by a string of mutant units, with the Warhounds the furthest left and the spawn on the far right. The Giant Spawn are also in this line. The Spider Mutants deploy behind, saving their flamers.

I’m not even going to try to describe the Guard deployment, as it’s just a huge mass of Guardsmen. The Heavy Weapon Teams mostly hold high ground in buildings, and the Company Commander has pride of place in the central building.

Chaos Turn 1

Name:	Ateph4 006.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	137564

My turn is largely uneventful, as the line of Mutants and Spawn surge forward, though they are hampered by some generally poor dice rolling.

Imperial Turn 1

Name:	Ateph4 007.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	137565

In an atypical move, the Guardsmen charge forward through the ruined city. Time is of the essence, and because their opponents are just lowly mutants, hand to hand is a real possibility.

The Heavy Weapon teams open fire on the towering Giant Chaos Spawn. Feefai dies quickly, but his brother Fofum stays on his feet due to some lucky dice, on his last wound, stinking blood dripping from festering wounds.

The Mortars drop on the Psykers, seeking to disrupt the summoning, but only one dies.

Chaos Turn 2

Name:	Ateph4 008.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	466.9 KB 
ID:	137566

Again, the Chaos wave advances slowly, hindered by the terrain. The Unmarked Mutants drop two Guardsmen with their laspistols. Three assaults are launched, but both the Warhounds and Chaos Spawn roll poorly and don’t make it.

The Big Mutants of Khorne however, charge into an Infantry Squad, and four Guardsman die, but they manage to drag down two mutants in return.

Imperial Turn 2

Name:	Ateph4 009.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	137567

The Imperial line moves forward again, drawing the Chaos line into close range. Fofum dies quickly to heavy weapon fire. Lasgun fire lashes out and multiple units suffer losses as Mutant after Mutant dies. The Khornate Mutants and Warhounds flee in the face of the deluge of fire. Two Spawn are also killed.

The last Big Mutant of Khorne is dragged down by weight of numbers, but kills two Guardsmen on the way down.

Chaos Turn 3

Name:	Ateph4 010.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	504.8 KB 
ID:	137568

There is an eruption in the middle of the Guard lines as the Brass Scorpion arrives, just left of the centre. Even as it appears, nine Guardsmen die, torn asunder, and then its torso comes crashing down and two flamer shots cover two Squads, killing ten more. Its tail rotates to strafe the Skyshield pad, but the lascannon teams manage to pass all the cover saves. One lone survivor flees to never be seen again.

The Big Mutants of Khorne reappear behind the Sentinels and engage them in a deadlocked melee. The fleeing Khornate Mutants are removed and also reappear, but unfortunately use a manhole in my deployment zone, so move to secure the objective.

The Unmarked Mutants engage two Infantry Squads in the centre of the board, one under the effects of weaken resolve. However, while they kill several Guardsmen, the disciplined Cadians are too much for them, and fixing bayonets, run the Mutants down.

The Spawn engage an Infantry Squad, but only succeed in losing two wounds.

Imperial Turn 3

Name:	Ateph4 011.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	137569

The Brass Scorpion rocks as multiple lascannon blasts, krak missiles, plasma bolts and Autocannon rounds hammer at it. Despite the odds, it survives, a structure point gone, and a couple of legs and a flamer missing.

That absorbs most of the Guard’s firepower this turn, but a Big Mutant is also killed, just leaving the Rabble Rouser. Several Mutants of Nurgle also die to mortar fire.

In assault, the Spawn exchange a wound with their opponents. The Big Mutants of Khorne and Sentinels are still going at it.

Chaos Turn 4

Name:	Ateph4 012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	137570

The Unmarked Mutants recycle through the same hatch as the Khornate Mutants, which is not hugely useful. They also move to support the Psykers.

The Brass Scorpion rotates in place, and kills several Guardsmen with its flamer, though the demolisher cannon misses. Its tail again rakes a Lascannon Team, but still causes no kills. It then slams into a Chimera, but rolls a triple 1 on the damage chart.

The Spawn finally see off their opponents, though they outpace them. The Big Mutants of Khorne rip a multilaser from the Sentinels. The Rabbe Rouser charges a Squad under Weaken Resolve, but dies poorly.

(Continued...)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast