Thread: The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – Month 2: February show off and March WIP

The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – Month 2: February show off and March WIP

The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – Month 2: February show off and March WIP

What is it all about?
    The aim of The Tale of Terrain Builders is to help motivate those involved to finish scenery for their gaming boards. We accept anything related to scenery building.

How does it work?
    During the first week of a month you post your finished terrain in the appropriate thread. The remainder of the month is for posting WIP pictures of what you are building and to comment on the work of other participants. You shall receive feedback on your terrain in return and can ask questions, see many different interesting ideas and help/be helped by others with tutorials and advice.

What do I have to do?
    Because not everyone can spare the same amount of time for various reasons, there are different levels of commitment. The standard level of commitment (Mens) is to create a single, reasonably sized piece of terrain per month. The lesser level of commitment (Boys) requires the completion of a piece of terrain every other month, but with the commitment to show progress each month! As a Noob you just need to show one piece of terrain you just finished.
    A single piece of scenery at least the size of a hill or building will be considered one piece. A barricade, tree, rock spire or similar terrain can be entered in threes to count as one piece of scenery. I made a picture for a quick overview:

If in doubt, terrain that covers a diameter of roughly 6” is what we are going for, but this is a loose definition. Since the aim is to fill your board with terrain the rules are somewhat lenient.
    A note on building whole Tables and Dioramas: simply break it down in monthly amounts of work for the level of commitment you entered in and we are happy to tell you what we think of it.
    Just build and have fun and everything should be OK!

Can I have a break?
    Because people have real lives: “yes you can!” You get one 'Joker', to use for a month you want to skip. During the Tale you can ‘play a joker’ by posting an appropriate picture and an explanation if you like. You should still comment if you have the time.
    So for five months you have to come up with a piece of completed scenery or WIP pictures. That sounds easy but the first tale proves it is not.

In six months we will all end up with some nice terrain for gaming, and hopefully have learned a few tricks on the way, which is awesome!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : How do I join the Tale of Terrain Builders 2012?
    A : You should join us right now! Just post in this thread and you are in, please state if you want to be a Noob, a Boy or a Man.

Q : Can I build more than one piece per month?
    A : Yes, you can build as much as you like. The maximum you can enter is two pieces a month and they will be awarded as such. We aim to have fun as a group and to help each other as much as get things done ourselves.

Q : What happens if I build a GIGANTIC piece of scenery?
    A : If you create a truly epic piece of scenery, we want to see it. We also want to see how it is done so you use months of WIP up to the finishing post and it will be accounted for the epic piece it is that way.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
    A : Yes, we love background stuff! Write as much as you like, we will read it and rejoice. It might also help to put the piece of scenery in perspective.
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Re: The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – Month 2: February show off and March WIP

The participants in this tale:

WIP is for work in progress.
    bigWip is for work in progress that counts as a full months work (Mens) or two for Boys
    done is for finished pieces. This counts for two months work for Boys
    done (+1) counts for two full months for Mens (4! for Boys)
    Joker is a joker and J's are for default (not requested) jokers.

My aim is to update this post once a month after a week. Anything will be recorded of course, but to get the change shown that month, you must enter the pictures in the first week.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 08-03-2012 at 17:58.

Re: The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – Month 2: February show off and March WIP

Little Joe: Mens

THIS MONTH:
    For this month I made a new pond.
    I am very pleased with the outcome; it is the first time I liked the grass right away, this was sort of a wet gluing with four mixes of static grass. The colours go from bright to dark. The bloody gore was also done as expected, which is a good thing. By pushing the grass outwards and flattening it in the middle you get a nice “dragged along” effect. And the stuff just looks gross.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: I started a lot this month; it looks good for this tale. This means I can spend a lot of time on each piece allowing for more building fun.
    Lows: None, the mojo is strong!

NEXT MONTH:
    Probably the forest will get done. As already shown a goblin hut, a Vaettir rock and as a surprise most likely a Quar ant farm. Those will be the minimum five, let’s see what else comes along when the mojo stays like this.

EDIT: The printed pond was designed by Urgat.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 29-02-2012 at 22:55.

Chaplain

Xazil Mens: Hirst Arts Fieldstone Ruin.

Highs and lows: Finally finished this as its a pretty large structure. Looks very nice, happy how it worked out. Nothing really bad.

DarkLordBelial: Mens - February

Warhammer Fortress
    This was a catch up project as I had started it just prior to the tale beginning.

I love this piece even though it is fairly straight forward.

Highs: With this amount of plastic to cover there are plenty of highs when spraying the undercoat Nice big piece so not much delicate work, making it a breeze to get through. The doors are a bit fiddly but not to complicated. Added a bit of battle damage customisation to one of the walls which looks nice (although I forgot to photo that bit) also added a bit of weed growth poking out from the stonework.
    Lows: Assembly is a bit of a pig - and you'll notice I didn't do any filling of gaps. I'm not that much of a perfectionist and would much prefer to spend the time doing something that matters. The most annoying thing about this kit is the amount of paint it takes to cover!

Painting Technique:
    1. Undercoat: Sprayed Skull black
    2. Base coat: Airbrushed the entire model Charadon Granite
    3. Highlights: Dry brushed Various shades of grey building up to a very light dry brush of Bleached Bone.
    4. Detail: final step was to add touches of Devlan mud to represent water runs below the parapets.

Next Month:
    Something much more exciting - I've started to plan the construction of a bell tower.
    Last edited by DarkLordBelial; 01-03-2012 at 15:55.
    The Hammer and I
    Looking for other Warhammer Fantasy players in the Bicester/Buckingham/Aylesbury area for informal games - can host. PM me if interested.

Not much to show, only a WIP of my Hobgoblin village:

currently active in the Tale of Fantasy Painters!
    My plog: To the honor of Hashut

Some comments:

I got a lot done but feel so unmanly besides these big castles. I had better get something taller done as well...

@Xazil: very nice, it looks very good painted up. Lot's of detail and great basing. The rubble came out especially well with this one. I also like how you went for the overgrown look (a bit darker) and the contrast with the base.

@DarkLordBelial: I saw the pictures of the battle damage, but you could always post more pictures. It looks good, and while not as fancy as the new terrain it sure looks more like a castle to me. It has thick crenulations, lots of space for troops and is a bit menacing in its own way. I most certainly do not miss (masses of) skulls.
    Well painted and some nice customisation.

@DAGabriel: Almost it was just a manly affair and then you tease me with a far off picture. I am sure it is mostly done from that picture, and looking awesome. I already like the shades of green in that picture. What happened to the cemetery?

I updated the second post. If either Xazil or DarkLordBelial want a done(+1) you can have them, if not I will keep the excess in mind anyhow. Like last year I gave boys a WIP for pics and also one point. This means that in both cases if the digit hits 5, you made it.
    I will backtrack boys pieces and a done is worth two points, like last years tale. But I would rather see more WIP pictures. Please do comment .

EDIT: new WIP pictures from me tomorrow.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 08-03-2012 at 18:01.

Thanks for the update Little Joe.

As I said earlier I'm moving onto something a bit more adventurous this month. Wanting to build an empire belltower for my Warhammer table. I've got an end result in mind - and did some sketches to help me with the construction. I've been planning this for a few weeks now and have gathered together a bunch of materials so that I have everything to hand during the project:

Mostly sheets of styrene and bits of wood. First job is to build the main structure of the building

The main body:

The brick work on the lower floor:

I've added a single bay window and upper deck (upside down while glue is drying):

More pics when I've added a bit more detail.
    The Hammer and I
    Looking for other Warhammer Fantasy players in the Bicester/Buckingham/Aylesbury area for informal games - can host. PM me if interested.

Yesterday I looked at my terrain pieces for this tale and was a bit unsure of the surfacing of my floating rock and the finish. So instead I finished a stair, which was quite a lot of work. Stairs are not my favourite to build, it is so hard to get them to look right and not oversized.
    It was very important because now I can continue with the next floor on this piece and get it closer to getting finished. Here is a picture:

Today I was still unsure so a few cheap pencils were bought for tubes. Tubes show the base and do not look good most of the time. So hollow tubes were chosen, which the terrain will be modelled on. To achieve this I used milliput to make connectors on the base and the rocks.
    Rocks? Yeah, I decided to do some test pieces before clogging my large rock up with bushes. I also want to try the roots out first. Here is a WIP picture:

I made more pictures and will make a tutorial for this.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 10-03-2012 at 18:38.

If all goes well I should have some pictures to show you all and maybe you can help me with some placement. The good thing is I am working (slowly) again and that is all I need to hold on to.

I am liking all the towers and castles in this thread.

@Little Joe

Considering your dead horse piece, lol. Is the blood meant to be fresh? If so wouldn't the horse still be lets say full or meaty and not all bones. Is the liquid non opaque acid which would allow fresh blood and the meat to be gone in the liquid.

Wow, love those stairs Little Joe - very detailed.

I've done some more work on the bell tower:

First thing was to finish off all the bay windows - really pleased with how these have turned out:

They are now ready for the fluff to be put on - I was originally thinking of using some left over windows and stuff from my fortified manor but when I tallied up I didn't have enough bits - I therefore had a hunt around the internet and found some nice resin bits that will do the job perfectly:

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/w...y-terrain.html

Also managed to get the rest of the woodwork in place (but used up all my coffee stirrers Will have to send the wife to Costa!

However, struggling to work out how to make a decent railing for on the top of the tower - I'll report back on my progress later:

Need a railing around this:
    The Hammer and I

@ASSASSINAWOKEN: The idea was of an dweller in the pond without showing the dweller, use your imagination for that. That way the horse (I think it is a sheep printed way to large with an undefined head) is being freshly ripped and partly eaten. With the blood in the grass I could do this dragged along effect and use very little in the water. As for explanations: terrain that makes you wonder or think again is what I like.
    Slow but continous steps are the way.

@DarkLordBelial: Wow talking of steps, that looks great already! Railings, like stairs are the hard bits. You need something to work with while keeping it slim to not look oversized. My stairs only look good inside the tower, because I needed something wide. The sides would have been too thick otherwise. On the other hand you want it to be resilient. I di something like the ones in the background once and they looked OK then. The large topping looked a bit of after you put a model behind it. Now I would probaly use something like the picket fence from Renedra and crop it at the top. Far less hassle and an DIY alterative could be done with match sticks and balsa wood.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 13-03-2012 at 00:08.

The bits in the background were at least one (of many) aborted attempts to build some railings. I was trying to use wooden skewers cut down to length with a coffee stirrer railing across the top. They actually looked pretty good but at the necessary scale it was difficult to get the uprights to match in height which made assembly difficult - not to mention the small surfaces in contact made glueing hard.

I've kind of got something I like using some custom strips of balsa, bit still feels a bit flimsy - and I may end up replacing them.

I like the idea of using matches - although those pickets fences might do the trick.

Anyhow - The belfry is now in place. Obviously the gaps will be hidden once the roof tiles are in place - at this stage I've not quite decided how to finish off the top where the tiles will meet. Making a tidy point will be hard so I'll probably have to come up with something to go over the top - like a weathervane or something.

Speaking of tiles - not quite sure how I'm going to accomplish this yet - I love the Games Workshop tiles but the only way I can think of using them is if I buy a few chapels for the bits, but that would be too expensive. I'm probably going to have to go down the route of using card tiles - but I've not done that before and unsure of the end results. Before that though, I want to get started on blocking in some colour. with that in mind, I've sprayed a black undercoat and base coated brown - which is a technique I've used in the past in order to provide a good basis for the stucco paint effect.

Last edited by DarkLordBelial; 13-03-2012 at 20:53.
    The Hammer and I

As promised ... I will copy what I wrote in my terrain blog so you can view the images and understand my intent.

Please critique and ask questions. Thanks in advance for your support.

Here is what I have done so far since I stopped working on this awhile back.

In brief I have worked on the sand bags and rusting any exposed metal, weaponry, and other assorted debris. I Still want to add some rusted razor wire over the barricades.

Attachment 135274

Here I have experimented with rust weathering pigments on one of the barricades.

Attachment 135275

Here I have experimented with rust weathering pigments on the barrels. The rust gave them just the needed touch of increase age. An aded bonus effect is the ability to make rust drainage or stains.

Attachment 135276

Although the picture is not as clear as I wanted this shows the proposed positioning of the battlefield debris. The idea is the weaponry was left when the position was run over and everything was left as is to rot and rust away. I may need to tone down the rust a bit on the ammo boxes. The Heavy Stubbers I am pleased with.

Attachment 135277

This is the proposed position for the Missile Launcher which has not has rust added yet. There are also details in the terrain which need work.

Attachment 135278

This is the outer view of the proposed positioning for the Heavy Stubbers. The weapon on the right will have a small rusted belt of ammunition still unused attached to it.

Attachment 135279

@DarkLordBelial: Very nice, I just love to see buildings getting done. And at a great pace. Paper is great for roof tiles, but a lot of work, your surfaces are not that big so you should be fine. I have eyed a stamping tool myself once, you can even have them custom made. That was then, now I would use plasticard, the problem with paper is at the edges. Even painted it is bendy and build up in many layers that come apart. Also you can scratch plasticard with a steel brush before cutting the tiles for some nice effects. Still a lot of work.

@ASSASSINAWOKEN: Good to see you working again, the rust is looking good. Adding the small parts can be a lot of work but it adds some nice detail. Are you going to use static grass and floor crawlers? It fits a "nature reclaims" scheme and will add some colour. Barren would look really nice as well with just some brownish dead bush skeletons.

A small update on the floating rocks, they are painted and need some bushes, flowers and roots:

I think I am getting better at rocky surfaces, not quite there yet but better.

They look fantastic Little Joe. Can't wait to see them with some flora and fauna on.
    The Hammer and I

Chaplain

Little Joe: Love the amount of detail that has been put into the pool, looks simple at first glance, but there is more and more as you look further. The stairs also are well contructed. The floating rocks are an interesting concept to see go through, love your rock texture.

DarkLordBelial: Huge castle, very sweet. Effective painting to bring out detail and I like the water marks as a nice tough Ill have to think about myself in the future. The tower construction has also got me thinking as we see you peice it together and all the details you are fitting into it.

DAGabriel: Very nice looking village in a grungy gobliny way.

ASSASSINAWOKEN: Nice detailing and painting on the emplacement. The little touches are what brings it all together.