Thread: Battle Report: Kings of War(master)

Battle Report: Kings of War(master)

So I heard about Kings of War and decided to give it a try. But I am generally a 10mm player, playing Warmaster/BoFA, DBA/HotT, and so on. So I am playing Kings of War at 40% scale until I see about some proper figures. The good news is that it works really well: one stand ~= 10 foot or 5 mounted, 1 cm ~ 1 in. It all fits on my small table!

Photos from first battle are here:
    http://plasticorc.tumblr.com/post/18493137477/

Re: Battle Report: Kings of War(master)

Looks nice! I suddenly realize there may be a point in me painting all my Epic Tyranids after all, since I adore the Warpath rules!

I had the same exact idea, also planning to use BoFA stands no less (these are probably the most cost effective 10mm models). Or possibly 20mm soft plastics, though 10mm crams more guys on a stand which looks nicer. Glad to see it actually works well, though I guess variety in army construction might be an issue with just the BoFA base set.
    Last edited by Don_Silvarro; 08-03-2012 at 21:35.

Nice, really like the idea of using the BoFA plastics, since they are the only 10mm fantasy plastics that exist if I'm not mistaken.

I've gotten quite interested in the idea of 6-10mm KoW now, looking at companies like Microworld who produce some amazing stuff at that scale.

It could be a good way to cheaply playtest armies and units that Mantic hasn't made models for yet, you can get a whole army of 6-10mm for not very much at all.
    Last edited by scarletsquig; 08-03-2012 at 21:41.
    If you play any of Mantic's games, check out my Battlescribe project for KoW and Warpath.

BoFA is not so bad for variety: the goblins get Rabble, Fleabag Riders, and Mawbeasts in huge quantity, and can also add several heroes. The good forces, on the other hand, have 5 kinds of infantry, eagles (I play them as Drakon Riders), a giant bear (played as Tree Herder), and many heroes.

That said, I have expanded my collection with Elvish cavalry from Magister Militum (nice), trolls from Pendraken (mediocre sculpts and casts, but cheaper), larger "bodyguard" orcs and human rangers (stats: Elf Scouts) from Copplestone (my favorite manufacturer so far). But for the price, BoFA gives you a HUGE start.

My next army will be 1000 points of Rohan.

Also, new session report:
    http://plasticorc.tumblr.com/post/18...-terrain-in-it

You can get a whole Mantic army for not much at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Nice idea, glad to see that it scales well, I know that Ronnie's initial idea for the game was that it should scale well, but I thought that was intended to be from small games (500 pts) to larger games (5000 pts).

Id be intrested to give it a go but it would require that I invest in a whole bunch of new terrain, and armies so I dont think thats going to happen any time soon

Speaking of terrain I cant help think that your table , despite the nice armies on display , looks a little bare. Is there a particular reason for that?

ttfn
    Another proud member of the Mantic Fanaticshttp://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".

My last post seems to have disappeared into the warp, so I summarize: New battle report on plasticorc.tumblr.com .

Quote Originally Posted by orcsbain View Post

Speaking of terrain I cant help think that your table , despite the nice armies on display , looks a little bare. Is there a particular reason for that?

ttfn
    Because it was my first Kings of War match of any description. Next session on the blog includes some terrain, though of little influence: the two small armies just fought in the middle. The Elves had no reason to hang back since they wanted to start shooting Dwarves ASAP; the Dwarves were scared of wasting any time in bow range, and just charged. Maybe we lack tactical creativity.

Next game I photograph, we will use some terrain-based objectives for a change.

Who hoo, another HoTT player, hi Pigasuspig!

I'm tempted to give this a go with some of my HoTT armies. It should work well for the normal fantasy ones but I'm not sure what list I would use for my Fishmen.
    Watching paint dry: http://maccwar.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Maccwar View Post
    I'm not sure what list I would use for my Fishmen.
    Awesome army! Maybe Dwarves? Slow on land, armored scales . . .

However, you would absolutely need a houserule: Crab-alry can move sideways as though moving forward, and forward as though moving sideways . . .

You have definitely piqued my curiosity, I have fifteen large warmaster armies, and 2 sets of BoFA (I know I know, greedy so and so...) with all the extras like Smaug etc, this could be a very cool way to dust them off and get busy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korraz View Post
    "Paper is broken, scissors are fine", says rock.

Hello,
    we're playing also using Pendraken 10mm models on warmaster bases (40x20mm). inches=cm, 60x90cm table 2000 points, the game works perfectly (great scale).

most of the infantry:
    troop = 1 base (40x20mm)
    regiment = 2 bases (40mm square)
    horde = 4 bases double front (80mmx40mm)

most of cavalry:
    we prefer only one possibility here (this one because using a single base front 2cm is not good)
    regiment = 2 bases (forming a 40mm square)

some special unit example:
    undead zombies: half-regt.: 2 bases, regiment: 3 bases, horde: 6 bases
    undead wraiths: troop: 1 base, half-regt.: 2 bases, regiment: 3 bases
    goblins bogies: troop: 1 base, regiment: 2 bases

and so on...