Thread: Two nooby questions after yesterday's game

Two nooby questions after yesterday's game

Title says all:

1. If one or more models of a unit are already engaged in melee but some are not, can you still order a charge? Or can you only walk into melee because some members are already engaged?

2. A bit more specific but regarding Vyros. He has this special rule that he ignores intervening models for LoS purposes (eyeless sight? Cause of his eagle).

In the picture, Vyros was standing where the white ring is. My opponent decided he could charge Sorscha because he could ignore the Man o War in front of her and could thus see her. He then charged in a straight line and ended up where he is in the picture. Because he has reach, he could attack Sorscha. Is this correct? (The Man of War performed a free strike because he entered their melee range).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	134251
    Tyranids Blog (1500pts) - on hold
    CSM Blog (4000pts)
    Eldar Blog (1000pts) - on hold
    Fantasy Blog - VC, Empire and LM
    Khador Blog - Khador

Re: Two nooby questions after yesterday's game

1: yes, you can issue the order and the whole unit has to take it. the ones engaged cannot charge though.
    2:Bird's eye is an ability exclusive to vyros. It dose NOT grant eyeless sight, it just ignores things between his battlegroup and their targets.
    As far as I can tell he did that correctly but should have taken a freestrike from that man-o-war. Pull your caster back another 2 inches or so and possibly spread out the man-o-wars to block movement rather than los since his jacks can see through them anyway. Vyros has a great ability but no gun to use with it, so tie up his jacks and you take the bite out of what makes him special.
    It always stinks to get caught off guard by some rules interaction you didn't expect but it isn't that tough to avoid.

Remember that you have to move at least 3'' to get the charge bonus though.
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by Dais View Post
    the ones engaged cannot charge though.
    Engaging/being engaged does not prevent charging. The only difference is that it is much harder (yet still possible in right circumstances) to get charge attack (ie. move 3+") while charging a model you're in melee with.
    Proud to be a PP Pressganger.
    Fecit quod potui. Faciat meliora potentes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTitan View Post

The Man of War performed a free strike because he entered their melee range
    Do you mean when he left the Man o' War's melee range?

Title says all:

2. A bit more specific but regarding Vyros. He has this special rule that he ignores intervening models for LoS purposes (eyeless sight? Cause of his eagle).

In the picture, Vyros was standing where the white ring is. My opponent decided he could charge Sorscha because he could ignore the Man o War in front of her and could thus see her. He then charged in a straight line and ended up where he is in the picture. Because he has reach, he could attack Sorscha. Is this correct? (The Man of War performed a free strike because he entered their melee range).

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	134251
    Ok, its not quite correct, but may have been able to happen.

1st: You must charge in a straight line (your friend appears to have done this correctly)
    2nd: At no point during your charge can you move away from the model you charge

That second one you got wrong, as your model has charged towards Sorcha(at a slight angle to get past the MoW) but then once you have reached the middle of the enemies base, you are then moving away from the target, this is illegal.

However, it looks entirely possible to just charge a couple inches less, still have line of sight to your target and still be in reach range, judging by the diagram. Assuming this is possible, the charge would have been legal.

Otherwise, everything was correct, he can ignore the MoW to declare the charge, charge in a straight line as long as he ends up within 2", then turn to face the target and attack.

EDIT: Also, you only suffer a free strike if your entire base leaves a models melee range. While in your diagram, the free strike was correct, if you pull the charger back 1-2" to make the charge legal, im fairly sure at least part of Vyros's base will still be in melee range of the MoW, and thus wont take the free strike.
    Last edited by Spirit; 05-03-2012 at 21:02.
    Heres a bloody sig for you!

You know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordmonkey View Post
    Spirit, you are a bad, bad man

@ Spirit: Thank you for those additions. However, I reread the charge section and nowhere does it say that you have to charge 'towards' the target, or anything in that fashion (ie move away from the model). It only states that you have to stay in the charger's melee range, which in this case is the case.

Am i missing something?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
    CSM Blog (4000pts)
    Khador Blog - Khador

@ Spirit: Thank you for those additions. However, I reread the charge section and nowhere does it say that you have to charge 'towards' the target, or anything in that fashion (ie move away from the model). It only states that you have to stay in the charger's melee range, which in this case is the case.

Am i missing something?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
    Because you cannot ever leave melee range with sorcha, at the end of that movement, before you turn to face her, your melee arc has passed her, and you cannot leave melee range with her once your in it, otherwise the charge fails. (Page 47)

Name:	Vyros charge.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	438.1 KB 
ID:	134671

Sorry if i confused you, it looks like my group has taught me how it effectively works rather than how its worded.

Someone with some more experiance feel free to chip in and correct anything.
    Last edited by Spirit; 06-03-2012 at 11:08.

You know who you are.

That is correct, you can't charge past somebody and then turn to face them.

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk
    true story

Owwwwwwwwwwwwww, I see Thanks!
    CSM Blog (4000pts)
    Khador Blog - Khador

Just to make you even more confused, it looks like Vyros's birds eye rule gives "circular vision".

If thats the case his front arc is 360 degrees, so while the charge would normally be illegal, it looks like its legal with Vyros.

Man that bird does some nice things! (But you'd still have been better pulling it back a bit to avoid the free stike!)

You know who you are.

Good point, Vyros has 360 front arc, it is the same with a Griffin that gets the shield bonus even in the "back arc".

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Man that bird does some nice things!
    He sure does, I really hope his Epic Cavalry Version retains the bird.
    Lion: Hey Russ, you'll never guess what!
    Russ: Yeah, I know! Magnus is a traitor! To think that he could accuse our beloved brother Horus of turning against us. Impossible! But don't worry. I have taken care of it, Horus asked me to destroyed Prospero and I have. Magnus shouldn't be bothering us again.
    Lion: ... actually, I was going to say that Magnus was right. Horus has turned to Chaos, 7 other Legions have joined him and he has destroyed 3 Loyal Legions already!
    Russ: