Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Hi there everyone,

here I'll be posting all the stuff I'm painting that isn't either Praetorians or Lord of the Rings related.

For starters, here's some Hittites!

"Hit what?" I hear you say? Well, after what seemed like ages spent with their squiggly scribbly clay markings (wo's gonna prove it wasn't just a tiny bird with broken toes who did that?) I just had to paint some of these lads...

Please don't mind the wonky spears, I just couldn't motivate myself enough to replace the sh**y plastic ones with proper wire pikes...

Re: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Double Post!

These were done as colour testers, I will be revisiting these eventually...

And while I'm at it, here's what I did to my first Finecast figure:

An Empire captain painted in the colours of Hibbdebach (or is that Dribbdebach?).

The scheme was suggested by the girlfriend; the eagle is my first real attempt at a freehand...

Also finished during the last year, these were a birthday gift. So if you're reading this: thanks again
    I tried out what I could do with the GW washes and only minimal actual painting (.i. a couple of highlights here and there).

very good painting all round!

love the Hit-whatsits. Scribbly markings by a bird, you say? More power to them then! What game system are you going to use them for?

I don't suppose you're going to paint some Ass-whatsit too?

The freehand on the cape of the Empire captain of Dribblydoodah town is very good too!

That is a great empire general, you've really shown some good skills with the clothing and kept the scheme coherent at the same time. Well done!
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Really like the empire captain! The white could have been a bit more even but that is nitpicking.. I'm looking forward to see it based and it its full glory.

cheers, keep it up
    Blogging with a grime crew @ http://codfishparings.blogspot.se/
    -Chaos - grime - grit and the rest of it

Your empire captain looks great. Is that the finecast one?

Thank you for your kind comments!

@juicytomatoes: actually, I haven't yet decided on any particular ruleset for the ancients. I reckon, I'll paint up more of the tiny men until I've got enough for a little game and then try out some rules on them..
    And, yeah, I'vhe thought about the Assy-somethings too. However, after working for the last couple of years literally next door to some Egyptologists, I'll be painting some of Pharao's men before that. And some rides for the Hitt-naughts.

@Animerik: Thanks! I see what you mean with the white of the cape. Maybe a glaze/wash with a greyish cream coulour, followed by white highlights again could work...

@Jormi_Boced: Yeah, that's the resin one. I got curious after hearing (and seeing) all these bad news about miscasts &c. I reckon I was lucky, there were hardly any bubbles in the resin and only a small section on the bottom of the cloak was missing. His pistol appears bent though. As I only noticed after basecoating him, I decided not to fix it after all.
    All in all, he was fun to paint, although I can't see what the revolutionaly degree of detail is supposed to be. Maybe it'll be visible on those figures actually sculpted for FC. We'll see ...

As for news, I did some more resin ofer the last year (years?).

First up:

Ciel! Mon Death Korps!

And one of the new Kromlech "Death Korps Orks":

Necrothreading!

Well, another year gone and regrettably little progress on the painting front. Anyway, on to the pics:

First up: "Pensive Mutant"

I'm still experimenting with the new camera, so image quality will hopefully improve in the future...

Next: some oldschool 40k orcs:

I also participated in what became quite a Bones tsunami. A sort of bonami, if you will. Don't know whether it wants to be friends though..

As there have are detailed reviews of those Bones all over the place now, i'll just briefly give my 2. I was actually quite positively surprised with the casting quality. After reading a lot of bad criticism I had expected worse. Sure, it isn't resin. But at least it isn't finecast either. I had a number of minis with bent legs/spears/blades &c. At first I tried to bend the warped pieces in hot water, setting them in cold water. As you can see with the dragon below, that didn't work. At all. After a bit of experimentation i found that the trick is to use boiling water for the bending and icy water for the setting part. It's a bit more logistics than just using the hot water tap, but if you think of the price per mini...

Anyway:

And a bit of resin:

That's it for now, I hope I'll get some more done before 2014 is trough...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73306500sORS6AcUthreadomancy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	181208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neue-Fotos-20131109_1059-005.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	181209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neue-Fotos-20131109_1059-004.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	181210  

Teehee. That last one is quite... interesting. The Beholder is great too.

Thanks, there's even more Scibor weirdness in the pipeline, but today I have a GW Ogre pirate:

And a Reaper Bones chest/mimic:

I wanted to give those new technical paints a go, so here's a slimy toad done with "Nurgle's Rot":

Looks nice enough so far. But on the other hand, the effect is not too different from a good helping of Catachan Green mixed with 'Ard Coat I think... Might be useful If you're doing a Nurgle themed army and want to save some time, otherwise it might be a bit expensive for the effect.

And here's a base done with "Agrellan Earth":

The archer is a bit rough around the edges – as those Empire fellows are wont to be... I just picked him because he sat on the shelf, his base still not done years after I'd 'finished' him. Anyways, this one's about the base. I've read of mixed results with this one, but my attempt seems to have worked. I did prepare his base by putting a layer of very fine sand underneath that I then painted with Skorched Brown before applying a decent glob of Agrellan Earth...

Well, I like the effect. I think I'll just might use it on those Egyptians that are still to come...

The hair on the ogres chest makes it look real! Cool!

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

That Empire guy's basing is brilliant! Really cool!

Thank you!

I did do some more of the Reaper Bones figures, so here is one more.

The purple-headed worm!

I don't quite know, I think it reminds me of something... Well, I just can't wait to have a party of heroes being attacked by this monster.. I wonder if Bigby's Clenched Fist might... but I digress...

Here's one more Random Empire Guy™:

well, that was a hiccup i think
    real message below...

It's not necrothreading if it's less than a year after the last post, is it?

I've just finished building myself a lightbox to take pictures of my minis and I think it really makes a great difference!

It's basically a cardboard box with the sides cut out, with some „Butterbrotpapier“ (lovely word) glued over the holes. Now I just need to take pictures of everything i've painted over the last year...

I'll start with some test shots from today:

A dungeon door (from Grendel I think). Well, now that i can see it in a photograph, i think the bones are too flat and could definitely do with another layer of highlights. And i'll have to correct all those random splats of colour gone wrong... But i really like the photographs now

As a background I used some rust texture from https://www.flickr.com/photos/vander...n/photostream/ that i touched up a bit in Photoshop.

And a Games Workshop Wight King i painted to try out the new plastic character sets. I really like the sculpt, lots of layers with the belt and keys hanging over the chainmail, it's just that their prices are really getting beyond what i can pay without flinching...

Well, that's it for now; I'm off taking more pictures...

Continuing through the Reaper Bones, here's two I painted up as replacement characters for HeroQuest: a barbarian and a dwarf.

Note to self: I may have too much light now...

Continuing with the Reaper Bones:

First, some Greenskins

and a couple of Skeletons

I did a really quick job on the skeletons; I may revisit them in the future.. But you know what they say: "Paint needs no explanation, undercoat allows none"...

Also, one of the Pathfinder characters:

I've got to say, I'm really happy with the Bones material! They are still reasonably crisp sculpts, but their main advantage is that the paint just won't chip or come off! Perfect for gaming miniatures, especially for your old dungeon crawl or D&D fight - no longer will I have to flinch when one of the players starts moving one of the figures

Next, a couple of dwarves. Some of these have been sitting in the big pile of lead that is the painting queue since the last century...

If I remember correctly, this was one of the first minis I ever bought... from Ral Partha I think..

more dwarves:

then, some monsters:

a cave fisher, also from the 20th century...

Then, some characters:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast