Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Re: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Quote Originally Posted by Zemlod View Post
    These were done as colour testers, I will be revisiting these eventually...
    Well, it's only been four years, so we're well within my definition of "eventually"...

Four points of speed painted Saga vikings.
    These were done within a tight deadline, so I cut quite some corners. Eyes are not done, hair is only highlighted on some guys and only the warlord has gotten final highlights on his clothing. But I *did* finish them in time for the game. Which, in the end, didn't happen.
    The figures are Wargames Factory plastics that I had forgotten I'd bought. Probably because I'm not too fond of the sculpts... Well, this way I didn't have a guilty conscience about the speed painting... The shield decals are from "Schildschmiede", a German company. They fit the shields reasonably well, but are not quite as well printed as those from "little big men"; a bit more grainy...

Warlord (nameless as of yet)

Hearthguard

Warriors

And two sets of runestones. You gotta have runestones:

These ones I managed to identify: The one on the left is Sm 10 and the one on the right is Sö 179.
    Can someone of you identify the other two?

Next up (vor varying degrees of "next"): four points of Gripping Beast Irish.

All in all this puts me at 117 painted this year. Not too bad. At least, if you don't compare it to the 150 bought this year.... If I keep up my painting speed, I should be able to finish the entire Mt. Lead by 2023. If I don't buy another figure until then, that is... Well, a lot of this year's purchases were Bretonnians that I had no chance to not buy any longer. So, unless GW squat another army, I should be safe...
    Last edited by Zemlod; 11-12-2016 at 06:30.

I originally wanted to paint these as some unit for my praetorians, but in the end I didn't feel like these were 40K enough, so I've not included them in that thread, but put them here. Also, they are based on those round lipped bases so they'll fit my force for Empire of the Dead. They may be done in the praetorian team colours, but it's in the EotD box they'll go!

Other units for Empire of the Dead that are languishing in my painting queue/pile are a pack of werewolves, some more gentlemen and of course victorian zombies.¹

__
    ¹ Actual painting subject to me finally getting round to do them...

117 painted this year. That's just a little better than me. I've painted 6

Cool selection of stuff here. I particularly like all the scenery pieces...always encourages me to get round to some of my own when i see nice stuff like this! Also the blue goblins are great, and really effective.

Keep up the good work.

Good to see minis I've not seen before. I also have a bag of vikings somewhere that I need to get painted up your shields look great.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Thanks! But I can't take credit for the shields, they're transfers from http://www.schildschmie.de/

I first painted the shields brown, then painted on two coats of thinned down gloss varnish before putting on the transfers. Afterwards a couple of coats of GW Lahmian Medium to reduce the shine...

They were really easy to put on that way, even without solvent or any of that trickery
    Last edited by Zemlod; 31-12-2016 at 05:35.

And here's some more SAGA:

Four points of Irish! The figures are straight from the Gripping Beast starter pack, without any conversions or customizations. The shield decals are from Little Big Men Studios.

First of all, the warlord. As you can see, the Irish are very poorly equipped in SAGA, to the point that even the warlord is going into batte barefoot.

Then a group of basic warriors. As with the Vikings, I have tried to keep the colours for the poorer fighters muted and I gave them only undecorated leather shields.

Then, some hearthguard. These are better equipped, so some of them also have some red and blue cloth. I did consider maybe trying out a freehand tartan pattern, but in the end I didn't, because I was again pressed for time because of a deadline for a game that -again- did not happen... I may revisit them at some point...

And here's something unique to the Irish faction: War Hounds. I'm not really convinced, that this actually was a thing in medieval Ireland, but they are nice models and who's to nitpick over such cute doggos...

As a compensation for their generally poor equipment in SAGA, the Irish can make very good use of terrain - they have all sorts of nasty surprises in store, provided you actually do have some difficult terrain on the table that is. So here's a test piece for scatter swamps I did. NB: the photo background is wobbly paper, the swamp itself is straight...

Something else I simply had to paint for the Irish are these runestones. I mean, the Vikings got theirs and when I saw these hilarious stones from Grendel I just had to buy them.

They are a weird mix of historically accurate *pictish* symbols taken from actual stones and ogham writing. Here, the ogham is erroneously written on the faces of the stone however, instead of carved into the corner edges. Also, it's written in English.

Those faces you can't see in the pictures read "let battle commence" and "grendel". We had some fun in class, with the students first analyzing the writing and then trying to make sense of it. What does Grendel have to do with an irish-pictish runestone? Apart from being the name of the manufacturer of the resin piece that is...
    Last edited by Zemlod; 06-03-2017 at 23:16.

And after this brief historical diversion, some more fantasy

First up, the repackaged GW throne thing without the giant skull underneath.

Two portals from Grendel

A bunch of dungeon scenery/furniture:

Some Reaper Bones: A golem and a dragon

And a dwarf gunner from scibor

I don't know when I'll manage to set up the proper camera, so until then, here's a crappy phone pic just to prove I haven't been entirely lazy...

Carlo & Mario, Italy's most famous cowboys:

Memo to self: must not start another setting. Must not...

Turns out, it's Eggfest today and I've a couple of minutes (during daytime no less) to set up the camera, so here's a couple of pics of my recent stuff.

First up, a proper pic of the two cowboys from the post above:

A drow sorceress. Actually it's a Warhammer Dark Elf (Aeioulf?), but she got the drow treatment in preparation for a drow SoBH warband I may eventually finish...

Then some dwarves with guns, RAFM I think. A third one from this set is hiding somewhere in Mt. Lead.

And here's something I wanted to try out for a while now: Athonian Camoshade (2x) straight over a white undercoat. A bit of Devlan Mud over the rest and done. I think these turned out ok for the time and effort spent. And with the cost of these Reaper Bones I've not even a guilty conscience doing this

Also, here's some more of the dungeon furniture fom Zealot

That thing on the far right got in here by accident - it's a vox set for my Praetorian force; the operator himself is still wip, more of that later in my 40K thread...

And because I can't stay a way from a Kickstarter nor a Nickstarter, here's the two wizards from the last one:

Chapter Master

That furniture and those Sigilists would be great for Frostgrave! Good stuff!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Amazing work on all fronts.

How did you paint the dark green-ish rocks? It looks really cool.

Doi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4