Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Re: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

more characters:

does he count as villain, character or monster? anyway:

After playing a Brettonian bowman in WFPR, I simply had to paint up some of these:

Something completely different:

Dreadfleet!

I've just started doing the ships after having finished the scenery last year. I'll have to find the box and take some photos of all those islands...

Wow that is some really nice painting you've done there good idea for a light box I might steal that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My log comments welcome

stormravens74727@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!

I built the lightbox after a tip I got from a member of the "Song of Blades and Heroes" mailing list. Here's a link to his blog where he gives the instructions: http://theorky15mm.blogspot.de/2010/...x-project.html

and some more dungeon dwellers:

Lovely painting! Great to see Dreadfleet being painted! It's been a long time since I saw anyone working on that!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 305 models. Number complete: 80
    Break even painting target 2915: 11 models.

Speaking of classic games and dungeons, here's some more:

After taking a good look at the dungeon furniture from HeroQuest, I've decided that I'll have to do some corrections and improvements before I can post it here. It was the first stuff I painted right after a hiatus of 10 years away from my brushes ...

I'm currently trying to take photographs of all the stuff I've painted so far, so here's some terrain:

a vacuform hill

and some fences

I painted the whole set, but they all look more or less the same and it turns out I can't take a single decent photograph of them. So here's one of the least blurry pics with angry farmer Maggot for scale.

Before we come to more terrain, here's some World War one:

well, kind of.

I have no clue why I painted them; I'm not playing any WW1 games (in which i can use female troops no less), so they aren't based yet. Oh well, at least they're no longer in the painting queue (a.k.a. Mount Lead) ...

Edit:
    oh, and a Halfling:

Another edit:
    plus a Greatcoat trooper from Wargames Factory. I remain unimpressed by the sculpts, but here's a paint-scheme tester. Apparently, I prefer bold uniform colours...

double post because of the picture limit..

well, the lightbox works fine, but it does have a size limit, so these pieces only barely fit in there...
    I went for standard red roses instead of the properly purple ones for Morr, so I can use these for generic fantasy settings as well.

I really like this set - GW had a series of very nice terrain back then. Now, if only somebody made some modular plastic buildings for Planescape . . . sigh ...

And here's something I rarely manage: I bought, built, painted and based these on the same day. Feels great to buy something and not add it to Mount Lead

Again, as I don't pay Warhammer Fantasy, these will probably be used in D&D and Song of Blades and Heroes, but I liked the sculpt so much, I simply had to paint them. However, beautiful as those ghosts may be they are a horror to put together. There are some indicators for what goes whare, but I think I'm just too plain clumsy for these delicate fiddly bits...

Anyway, Here's the spirit host:

A what of kobolds?

*warning, boring science stuff below*
    (there's pictures at the end though)

A question I regularly come back to is whether to use group nouns for fantasy beings. Most real world animals have a special noun denoting a group of them (at least in English, less so in German). E.g. a 'pride of lions', a 'pack of wolves' or a 'flight of geese'.

After having painted the kobolds from the Reaper Bones set, I started wondering how best to refer to them. A gaggle of kobolds? A pack? An obstinacy? A rabble? I didn't have a clue. Obviously, kobolds are fantasy animals (or is there a campaign for the recognition kobold peoplehood? They're in the Monster Manual, and that settles it for me.), so there's little chance for a group noun used by professional hunters to have developed for them. The phenomenon of group nouns in general is somewhat limited, only a few of them have gained significant tracktion in 'everyday language', most of the more uncommon ones consigned to hunter's lingo and trivia sections. So far, there doesn't seem to be an agreed expression in common use by the community of fantasy players.

But here's the point where I would like to see some actual data. So I started to do a little research on real world usage of group nouns with kobolds. Seeing as I don't have any specially selected corpus of language for this purpose available, I just used the biggest corpus I could easily access from home: Google. My search strings for this were:
    "a * of kobolds" and
    "an * of kobolds" for words with initial vowels or consonants.

I entered first the one, then the other and evaluated the results for each up to page 20 of the results. I did not even know Google went that far. I'm not entirely sure anybody has ever been there. There were cobwebs. I noted all terms that could possibly count as group nouns, dismissing other usages of the search phrase.

These terms I then entered into Google as part of a phrase, e.g. "a clutch of goblins" and noted the number of hits. I did not adjust for adjectives here, thus missing any hits of the type 'a large murder of kobolds' etc. I also did not drill down the results to remove any non group noun usages. In addition to the terms collected from search no. 1, I also put in some group nouns for real world animals that did not show up on the first 20 pages. For some of these I also got some hits.

Here is an alphabetical list of the terms that I did find actual occurrences of:

abuse: 1
    annoyance: 8 (most of these actually discussing count nouns for monsters...)
    army: 23300 (traditional for caterpillars and herring, probably referring to an actual army though)
    assortment: 8
    band: 55800 (traditional for gorillas)
    barrel: 6 (traditional for monkeys)
    bevy: 5 (traditional for deer)
    bunch: 92700
    case: 10 (cf. measles)
    clan 9850
    cloud: 6 (traditional for gnats and grasshoppers)
    clutch: 6570 (traditional for chicks)
    colony: 112 (traditional for gulls, rabbits, and ants)
    cordon: 3 (all three the same text though)
    enclave: 3
    faction: 104
    family: 580
    flight: 1 (but it's a proper example though)
    flock: 3690 (apparently there's band whith that name)
    force: 648
    gaggle: 548 (traditional for geese)
    gang: 11000 (traditional for elk)
    group: 193000
    herd: 68 (traditional for cattle, elephants, sheep etc.)
    hive: 7 (traditional for bees)
    horde: 24500 (traditional for crows and gnats)
    host: 352 (traditional for sparrows)
    infestation: 673
    lair: 707 (could be argued to refer to the actual lair only)
    litter: 4 (traditional for cats, young rabbits)
    march: 3 (all three the same text though)
    mass: 1760
    mob: 2960
    murder: 2 (traditional for crows)
    nest: 5230 (traditional for hornets, turtles, and vipers; possibly referring to the actual nests only. Kobolds do hatch from eggs, don't they..)
    next: 3 (typo for nest?)
    pack: 30300 (traditional for dogs wolves etc.)
    party: 6690 (traditional for jays
    passel: 4 (traditional for hogs)
    plague: 8 (traditional for locusts)
    sea: 271
    storm: 56
    string: 2 (traditional for ponies)
    swarm: 6180 (traditional for bees)
    team: 1440 (traditional for horses)
    tribe: 74200 (traditional for goats)
    troop: 208 (traditional for kangaroos)

So we get a total of about 45 different group nouns with vastly differing proportions of usage. The total number of hits for these was 554,288.

Let's take a look at the distribution of the most popular ones:

Name Number %
    group 193.000 34.82
    bunch 92.700 16.72
    tribe 74.200 13.39
    band 55.800 10.07
    pack 30.300 5.47
    horde 24.500 4.42
    army 23.300 4.20
    gang 11.000 1.98
    clan 9.850 1.78
    party 6.690 1.21
    clutch 6.570 1.19
    other 26.378 4.76

Here's a chart for these:

The vast majority of the group nouns used are of the more common types, not specific to any type of actual animal. The only 'proper' group noun even showing up in the pie chart is 'clutch', still with a meager 1.19 percent of ocurrences. Some of the more 'interesting' (subjectively speaking) group nouns used were in actual discussions of group nouns for fantasy animals. Apparently I'm not the only one to wonder about this stuff.. Well, that's something at least... None of the traditional group nouns for animals have gathered any significant force in actual usage it seems.

Now, what does this all mean? Obviously, this is where some proper research would have to come in, so I'll just wager some wild guesses. Maybe group nouns are just plain out of fashion? Or too uncommon for any one of them to have developed for a race of diminuitive fantasy lizards? Possibly so.

But it could also mean, that we as players are not entirely comfortable with referring to kobolds with a group noun otherwise used specifically for animals. Maybe we really do think of them as people instead after all. Should we have a new scale next to the animacy scale; peoplehood? Oh dear. Does anybody want to volunteer to do this as a proper study? Would anybody want to fund this? I wonder..

Anyway, for me a 'gaggle of goblins' a 'murder of orcs' or an 'infestation of skaven' somehow sounds better than 'a group of kobolds'. 'Group' is so . . . bland... So here's an annoyance of kobolds I painted up over the last couple of days:

If I want to actually run the Keep on the Borderlands adventure, I'll only have to paint up another 30 or so of these little buggers...

And some boxes and a barrel:
    Last edited by Zemlod; 18-09-2014 at 21:04. Reason: Added a pie chart. very important, those. Can't have science without charts.

Such a pleasant little random plog. It's a shame this part of the forum is so undervisited.

That's impressive amount of Koboldian studies you have performed. Personally I thin'k I prefer 'a clutch of kobolds'. The aliteration makes it sound rather like an actual term that might be used if clutches of kobolds actually roamed our dark forests and caves.

Oh, and nice painting as well. Perhaps some markings on the boxes would liven them up a bit though?

A fine annoyance of kobolds you have there!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 305 models. Number complete: 80
    Break even painting target 2915: 11 models.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2