Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Re: Zemlod's assorted randomness - from Fantasy to SF and Historicals

Thanks!

Re: kobolds
    That's what I think as well. If you're living in a world whereencountering kobolds (or worse) is a real possibility, people are going to react to it. Maybe it's all the Pratchett influence, but I tend to assume that people even in a fantasy environment are still basically people. So if those kobolds abound, people will refer to them accordingly. Maybe as a 'pack', maybe as 'those pesky buggers'. But i agree with you. Using one of these terms makes it less out-of-the-ordinary and more of something that actually happens in that world...

Speaking of actually happening. Guess what's happened here: Zombies!

Again a bunch (or would that be a 'parliament' of zombies?) of Reaper Bones, this time from both the first and the second one combined. If I'm reading the module B2 correctly I will need up to 26 more of those, so again, just a quick drybrush job with some accents picked out.

Also got to try the rather new blood paint from GW and I really like it. Two coats and it really looks like blood. Still undecided whether I want to use it on weapons, but it's perfect for fresh wounds or bloodstains...

Next up: oh well, I'd best stop with making plans and look what happens

Awesome!! A parliament of zombies... Well... they do have a lot in common with parliament. I quite like the term herd myself.

The blood effect is lovely, isn't it? I wouldn't use it on weapons. Realistically speaking, blood doesn't stick to weapons for very long, unless they are rusty.
    What I would do, however, is add some blood around the mouths of a couple of zombies, just to show they had a fresh meal. Make it trickle down and drench their clothes too. Not all zombies, just a few you have duplicates of, to make them stand out a bit.

And to continue the interesting discussion on how to make your world more alive, I am sure I am not telling you anything new, but even better than a pack or murder or parliament of kobolds is of course something like the Black Eye Tribe. That makes them even more interesting.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    What I would do, however, is add some blood around the mouths of a couple of zombies, just to show they had a fresh meal. Make it trickle down and drench their clothes too. Not all zombies, just a few you have duplicates of, to make them stand out a bit.
    That's a great idea to add a bit more variation for these copy&paste troops, I'll post pics as soon as I'm done with that.

Speaking of "done", here's something I did a while back. I haven't finished the tower part yet, but I'm tepted to call this one done:

Also, more rats. Well, I guess they're R.o.u.S. actually...

I think these are from the second Reaper Bones, but I'm beginning to lose count. Not a good thing to happen I guess with the third one about to begin shortly...

good work since I last looked in keep up that good work.
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My Log Comments Welcome

stormravens747 xbox live

And now for something completely different:

a paint scheme tester and (because i somehow really liked the blue nasties) squighopping Boss Gitsmurfa

In other news:

some walls & fences:

continued because of the picture limit:

and a double post, because I don't want to add anything more to that post above,
    here's a couple of elves:

I did them on round bases because after seeing them in that age of Sigsomething thing, I really like how they look. And since I'm not actually playing Warhammer Fantasy I switched over to round ones. I'm probably not going to rebase any old minis though. Might do so once I've painted all the unpainted ones I've in all those boxes.

Like that is ever going to happen...

These are mainly for regular Song of Blades and Heroes, but I'm slowly preparing for a couple of possible warbands for a Planescape skirmish. Possibly using Age of Sigsomething or Song of Blades as an engine. Maybe “Song of Planes and Portals”? That doesn't sound too bad...

I'm not going to say "next up", because I never know what's really going to happen, but I have the new GW Snake Portal thing on the paint desk right now. Together with some barrels and things and a bunch of Teuton space Prussians. And some LotR Khazhad....

Nice job on his scaly cloak!

Great thread! Love the scientific discussion about kobold nomenclature, shows you take this endeavor with the proper level of seriousness!

Loth

Seriously considering rebasing all of my Mordheim stuff...

Seriously...

Nice job!

I am planning on starting up some Mordheim. Any good suggestions for terrain? I like your guard shack.

Thanks for the kind replies everybody!

@Daniel36 I don't know why, but I really seem to like the round bases far better than the old square ones... Maybe it's something like the old level designer's saying "there are no right angles in nature"; possibly it's just fashion, but anyway, I've hacked away the square beses from mos all of the stuff on my to-do bench...

@Jormi_Boced Apart from the pricey but beautiful buildings from Tabletop World (some say they're too small in scale for proper Mordheim) I think all these new laser cut MDF buildings are an interesting new thing. Spikedog is collecting a list of companies over here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...ore-good-links.

Another source of small terrain bits is the recent Reaper Bones kickstarter, they had some nice dungeon stuff. Coincidentally, here's two of their pillars I finished a while ago, but only just managed to photograph:

Not the crispest detail, but perfect for the price.

Here's some more dungeon clutter, this time from momminiaturas.com from Spain:

But my main reason for ordering from them was this thing:

Now, some have accused GW of going overboard with the old skulls thing, but here's a skull decorated with even more skulls! What's not to love?
    Maybe it's a bit hard to see in the pics, but the amount of detail on this thing is crazy. If you consider all those detail inside and behind stuff, they must be going through molds crazy fast. I don't want this to sound like advertising, but they sell this giant skull-with-a-side-order-of-more-skulls for a mere €10, so get yours while the mold is still crisp

I keep talking about this Planescape skirmish idea and so I couldn't stop myself from getting some of the new GW portals. I can't see them fitting in the Old World aesthetic, but they should work for some planar stuff:

I tried to do this one as weathered sandstone/plaster coming off with the colouring of the reliefs just barely still visible... Don't know if that really works, perhaps I should have gone for some standard dark garay instead...

And two more gates, this time with some of the new technical paints:

I wonder where this one goes...

And now for something completely different:

Prepaints!

I bought these years ago. Recently I stumbled upon that box while searching for something else and thought, well, maybe I can "brush up" that cheap paintjob of these with a little effort.

I failed to take some before/after pictures, so you'll just have to believe me that there is indeed an improvement visible

All in all, i recon these prepaints aren't too bad if you assume them not to be properly painted but rather basecoated with colours... Most of the improvement comes from doing the bases, so here's a cheer for Astrogranite. It's as awesome as its name. Altough, my favourite name was Snot Green. Now there's a colour for your poets. How often do you get that, a name for a colour that should -by rights- have won a nobel prize?

Something tells me these are going to be used in games of Frostgrave soon. Am I right?
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

@Daniel36 I was originally about to reply that, no, I had no intention of starting another skirmisher. But then the Warseer downtime of 2016 happened and I had a little too much time on my hands and . . . let's just say, I'm currently painting a lot of treasure tokens, wizards and henchfolk

Speaking of treasure:

These are from "Ristul's Extraordinary Market". Nice, friendly, polish. Good quality castings for an amazing price. Only problematic thing is: the name of the company is too long for the credit card bill and will get shortened to "RISTULSEX". Now try explaining that at home...

This one's from the Beaper Bones series:

and these are from the Zealot miniatures kickstarter:

Very nice quality all around, but in some pieces you can still see the 'growth-lines' from the 3d printed masters though...

Double post because of picture limit:

I've no idea why the sarcophagi have such a blue tint in the pics. Must be the white balance going crazy. In the flesh (so to speak) they're just plain grey...

Now a couple of actual miniatures. First, I rebased this little fellow here:

I have a pile of skull pass night gobbos kicking around that'll probably get smurfed as well, but seeing as the blue tribe is rather non-canon, I'll be posting them here instead of my Olde World thread..

Then a nice little piece by JoeK, from before he started to focus on greek mecha monsters:

Servant Prime. I tried to keep the flooring dusted and muted to match the comic scenery. If you haven't read the comics yet, do so now. We'll wait for you here. The story is interesting enough on its own, but what really fascinates me is the cyclopean architecture. Planescape would be the closest relative I recon. Which, coincidentally, is where this mini is planned for. That, and Frostgrave obviously. Minus the 'frost' part probably.

Then, a mind flayer I bought back last century. The accumulated scale creep from back then means that he's now dwarfed by pretty much any modern miniature.

An adventuress. Glued so solidly to her square base that I gave up and just kept her based that way. She's from a series of rpg character models for the German "Das Schwarze Auge" setting, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and a minotaur. No matter how safe you build your labyrinth, one of these always manages to get in.

Also from Reaper, an owlbear. Crazy critter.

His look reminds me of a muppet somehow. Speaking of Owl bears, Tony Di Terlizzi (of Planescape fame) has a nice article on his blog where he researches the history of the owlbead in the D&D setting, along with pics of the cheap plastic toys that this crature was inspired by. Required reading. http://diterlizzi.com/home/owlbears-rust-monsters-and-bulettes-oh-my/.

I also found a box of Flintloque minis that I have no memory of ever buying. Well, it's not the little bugger's fault, so I painted them up nonetheless. I'll be using them for my Warhammer Fantasy Imperial army as Mootland shirrifs. Some nice folks are creating a halfling fan codex for Age of Sigmar (set in the World that was obviously) so I'll be using that.

And, finally, something from spanish MomMiniaturas. A chaos lord on dread mount (aka Snuffles):

He originally came on a square base, but with a GW valkyrie base and a liberal amount of structure paste I took care of that. Lovely model, possibly a bit rough on the edges, but amazing for the price.
    Last edited by Zemlod; 14-03-2016 at 01:29.

Updates!

First here's another one of the D&D prepaints:

With just some highlights and a proper base, these actually don't look too bad. Won't win me a trophy, but good enough as dungeon villains...

Speaking of dungeons, here's some treasure and three pit traps:

The traps come from that dungeon kickstarter, so there'll be lots of dungeon furiture here eventually...

But first, some Reaper Bones:

Demons

Undead:

Two mantic ghouls. In the end I'm not fully happy with their bright and clean clothes. Any future ones Will be more muted and dirty...

And a skeletal piper. From Moonlight miniatures I think...

and another post because of the picture limit

Some Reaper fire effects:

A Bones cultist:

And a dwarf (RAFM?) that I finally managed to put on a proper base:
    Last edited by Zemlod; 03-07-2016 at 22:00.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast